PDA

View Full Version : Digital cameras

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:39 PM
.. i need your help again! :D

ok ok, what is concidered as a good dig. cam? I am looking for a good dig cam. nothing fancy, but the quality should be good. and i'd like to storage many pics... dunno how much storage limit is "normal" though. I've found some cameras for decent prices on the internet. So i need your help so i know that i'm getting a good enough camera!

Thanks!!!!! :wavey: :)

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:25 AM
let's see...i (well...my uncle;) ....but i'm the one who uses it:cool: :p). he has a sony dsc-p20 but i definitely don't recommend it cos it uses much battery:sad: ...i only have an advice:p (idk much about dig cameras) don't buy a dig camera that uses a lot of battery cos u'll only be able to have it turned on for a few mind:sad:

bee
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:15 AM
I think...the optical zoom is more important than the digital zoom

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:18 AM
I think...the optical zoom is more important than the digital zoom

That's correct!

I'm not into digital too much but Olympus makes very good digital cameras. I've never seen a good digital less than $300. Everything cheaper than that usually sucks. :(

If I remember on Monday when I'm at work I'll look in consumer reports to see what they say and tell you what they say to look for.

Hurricane Lily
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:20 AM
i have Olympus... 2.0 pixel... it's pretty good... it's the one i use to take pics, marri. :D i'll tell all about it when i see you on msn, k? :)

Cariaoke
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:24 AM
I'm with Rocketta, :wavey:.

I have an Olympus 510-Zoom 2.1 megapixel that I paid $399 for two years ago, actually I received it for a bday present but I picked it out. ;) It is THE BOMB. It has 3x optical zoom, with a maximum resolution of 1600x1200. I just got back from Paris a month ago and my pictures are wonderful. I took more on my digital cam than on regular film.

Digital is just cheaper... if you're going to post them online anyway. I took around 627 pictures on two 128 MB smart media cards, at full 1600x1200 resolution. There is no way I could have taken so many pics using a traditional camera. I took around 4 rolls of film that cost me like $20 something to develop... vs. $30/smart card in which I can use over and over and over again. Plus it's easier to share them with family and friends because I can just burn them a cd myself without having to pay extra to get the film developed, then scanned in.

I hope I didn't ramble too much but go digital and invest in rechargeable batteries.

Luisa
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Hello, I'm looking for a digital camera too, i want to buy a Sony Mavica FD100, does anyone know if it's spent a lot of battery? :worship:

Mattographer
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:51 AM
4.0 or over megapixels are very good quality pictures :)

BasicTennis
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Is NIKON---cool pix a reliable brand?

their commercial on Eurosport is really great and even the jingle that goes with it.:worship:

gladysharon
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:49 AM

I have an Olympus 510-Zoom 2.1 megapixel that I paid $399 for two years ago, actually I received it for a bday present but I picked it out. ;) It is THE BOMB. It has 3x optical zoom, with a maximum resolution of 1600x1200. I just got back from Paris a month ago and my pictures are wonderful. I took more on my digital cam than on regular film.

Digital is just cheaper... if you're going to post them online anyway. I took around 627 pictures on two 128 MB smart media cards, at full 1600x1200 resolution. There is no way I could have taken so many pics using a traditional camera. I took around 4 rolls of film that cost me like $20 something to develop... vs. $30/smart card in which I can use over and over and over again. Plus it's easier to share them with family and friends because I can just burn them a cd myself without having to pay extra to get the film developed, then scanned in.

I hope I didn't ramble too much but go digital and invest in rechargeable batteries.

Why must burn CD actually cariosity?

bluepastures
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:00 AM
I've got a Canon Digital Ixus V. 2.11 Million pixels. It only came with 16meg memory card, but I bought a 64meg one.

Taking a lot of photos when I go to tennis, it's saved me so much money over the last year, as I'm not developing photos. Also it avoids the problem of my old normal camera, which had an automatic flash, which obviously I never wanted to come on during matches.

The vast majority of digital cameras (except the very cheap models) come with rechargeable battery now.

Giuliano
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Well I told you earlier today (yeah it was very early) but I have a Fuji FinePix a 204 (2.0 Million pixels). I don't know much about digital cams but I like mine lol. It only came with a 16meg memory card though. I'm going to buy a 128meg one soon though which can store up to about 210 pics with the highest resolution.
I "only" bought it for 250€ (about the same in $) but at the end it'll cost less than a normal cam :cool:.
Oh and the person who works in the shop where I bought it (and I was in the same class as his son so I've known him for long) told me to avoid Kodak and to get one with rechargeable batteries.

gentenaire
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:58 AM
I just bought a digital camera (arrived on Thursday). I got a Canon Powershot S50. It's got 5 MP, so the quality's very good. Like Matthew said, if you want high quality pics (for printing), 4mp is the minimum. If you only plan on putting them online, aren't interested in printing too much, 2MP is more than enough. The price difference between 2MP and 4MP is quite high though :(

For storage, compact flash has 1GB cards now! If your camera is also compact flash type II compatible you can get a 1GB microdrive. This is an actual hard disk! The disadvantage is that this microdrive uses a lot of battery.

Right now I'm testing my camera (the disk in it is only 32mb), figuring out how much space a pictures takes and then I'll decide how much extra memory I need. With 1GB I should be able to store about 600 pictures, I don't know if I'll ever take that many.

Sony uses memory sticks, I noticed they're more expensive than compact flash, which is why I decided on a camera that uses CF.

A very good site where you can compare digital cameras, with a buyer's guide (fill in your requirements, they'll show you the cameras) is this one: http://www.dpreview.com

I bought my camera from a German online shop. I noticed the cameras are the cheapest in Germany.

Giuliano
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:18 AM
2MP to put the pic online? That's a lot. A resolution of 0.3MP is enough for pics you want to put on a site. Well that's what this person I bought my cam to told me... A 2MP pic is about 600Kb so that's a lot.
2MP is enough for 10x15 cms pic.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:55 AM
i have the Kodak CX4300
don't know much about cams though

gentenaire
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Julien, I didn't mean that 2mp is the resolution of pics that you put online, that is a bit much, I meant to say that if you only plan on storing your pics on your computer or use it to show to friends online, 2mp is enough.

Dava
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:24 AM
me and nearly everyone I know has the FUJIFILM FinePIX A204, its very good and easy to use.

Giuliano
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:37 AM
*click*
I misunderstood you Tine. Sorry about that. A good 2MP camera makes good 10x15 cms pics though. I was very surprised when I got some pictures developed. I guess it depends on how much money Marri wants to put in it. As you said, the price difference between 2MP and 4MP is very high indeed.

Here's my cam review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=fuji_finepix2650

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:58 AM
omg :D

thank you ALL for your help!!! I appreiciate it a lot! :kiss: :)

One thing i know when i buy stuff is that quality is #1 priority. So i'm not into those very very cheap stuff, especially when it comes to electrical devices. And i'll probably have this camera for as long as i can.. so i've decided to spend around $300 - 400? Which is approx. 2-3000 NOK.

Rocketta, if you can take time to find something for me, i'd really appreciate taht.. :angel: :)

Lise - i like your pics :D so i'll talk to you more about it, ok? ;)

Tine - thanks for that site! I'll take a look at it! :D

You guys metioned something really smart, which i didn't even think of lol. I have this Fuji APS cam, i've had it for years, and i like it, good pics and all. But like what Julien said, in one film, there maybe only 15 pics which are really good, while the other 10 pics i don't even know why i took lol. and i hate it when ppl can't take pics lol. I mean, the "main characters" should be in the middle, and don't cut off heads, feet whatever!! So with a dig. it will be a lot easier to get very good pics. So if i can find a good camera which wont cost more than $400 and it got over 4MP so i can develope good pics, i'll probably do that :)

oooh.. and another question... what about dig. Video cameras? :D It's a great way of keeping memories 4 ever. I was at a studytrip to Taiwan in summer 2001, and one of the guys had a dig. vid cam. and after the trip, he sent me 3 vcd's from those 3 weeks, and those discs are probably some of my dearest belongings lol.
but a dig. cam wont be used as often as the dig. cam though. It's just something i'd like to have when there are big happenings and when i travel. So you think i should even concider getting one??

:bounce:

and thanks again for your help!!

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Martian Marri here's an article. I still have to wait to monday to look at which one they rated the best.

Title: Digital cameras.
Subject(s): SPECIFICATIONS; DIGITAL cameras; CONSUMER goods
Source: Consumer Reports: Silver Content, 3/11/2003, pN.PAG, 00p
Abstract: Presents a buyer's guide to digital cameras. Functions; Available brands; Features to consider; Selection criteria.
AN: 9314468
Full Text Word Count: 1170
Database: MasterFILE Premier
Persistent Link to this Article: http://search.epnet.com/direct.asp?an=9314468&db=f5h
Choose Language inglés/español anglais/français Englisch/Deutsch
Digital cameras

Digital photography allows you to be more involved in the creation of the print than film photography. That's a plus or a minus, depending upon your point of view.

Digital cameras, which employ reusable memory cards instead of film, give you far more creative control than film cameras can. With a digital camera, you can transfer shots to your computer, then crop, adjust color and contrast, and add textures and other special effects. Final results can be made into cards or even T-shirts, or sent via e-mail, all using the software that usually comes with the camera. You can make prints on a color inkjet printer, drop off the memory card at one of a growing number of photofinishers, or upload the file to a photo-sharing web site for storage, viewing, or reprinting.

Digital cameras share many features with digital camcorders, such as an electronic image sensor, LCD viewer, and zoom functions. They also share some features with film cameras, such as focus and flash options. Some camcorders can be used to take still pictures, but a typical camcorder's resolution is no match for a good still camera's.

What's available

The leading brands are Kodak, Nikon, Olympus, and Sony; other brands come from consumer-electronics, computer-imaging, and traditional camera and film companies.

Digital cameras are typically categorized by how many pixels, or picture elements, the image sensor contains. A 1-megapixel camera has 1 million such elements. The more pixels, the sharper the image can be. A 1-megapixel model makes sharp 5x7-inch prints and very good 8x10s; 2- and 3-megapixel models can make excellent 8x10s and pleasing 11x14s. There are also 4-, 5-, and 6-megapixel models, which are well-suited for making larger prints or for maintaining sharpness if you want to use only a portion of the original image.

Price range: 1-megapixel models, $150 to $250; 2-megapixel, $200 to $600; 3-megapixel, $350 to $800; 4-megapixel and up, $400 to $1,000 or more.

Important features

Most digital cameras are highly automated, with features such as automatic exposure control (which manages the shutter speed, aperture, or both according to available light) and autofocus.

Instead of film, digital cameras typically record their shots onto flash-memory cards. CompactFlash and SmartMedia, which come in capacities of 8 to 512 megabytes, are the most widely used. Once quite expensive, such cards have tumbled in price--a 64-megabyte card can now cost less than $50. A few cameras store shots on a MemoryStick or an SD card. A few newer cameras use 3 1/4-inch CD-R or CD-RW discs.

To save images, you transfer them to a computer, typically by connecting the camera to the computer's USB or serial port or inserting the memory card into a special reader. Some printers can take memory cards and make prints without putting the images on a computer first. Image-handling software such as Adobe PhotoDeluxe, MGI PhotoSuite, Microsoft Picture It, and Ulead PhotoImpact lets you size, touch up, and crop digital images using your computer. Most digital cameras work with Windows or Macintosh machines.

The file format commonly used for photos is the highly compressed JPEG. (It's also used for photos on the Internet.) Some cameras can save photos in uncompressed TIFF format, but this setting yields enormous files.

Digital cameras typically have both an optical viewfinder and a small color LCD viewer. LCD viewers are very accurate in framing what you get--better than most of the optical viewfinders, but they gobble up battery power and can be hard to see in bright sunlight. You can also view shots you've already taken on the LCD. Many digital cameras provide a video output, so you can view your pictures on a TV set.

Certain cameras let you record an audio clip with a picture. But these clips devour storage space. Some allow you to record limited video, but the frame rate is slow and the resolution poor.

A zoom lens provides flexibility in framing shots and closes the distance between you and your subject--ideal if you want to quickly switch to a close shot. A 3x zoom is comparable to a 35-to-105-mm lens on a film camera; a 2x zoom, to a 35-to-70-mm lens. Optical zooms are superior to digital zooms, which magnify the center of the frame without actually increasing picture detail, resulting in a somewhat coarser view.

Sensors in digital cameras are typically about as light-sensitive as ISO 100 film, though some let you increase that setting. (At ISO 100, you'll likely need to use a flash indoors and in low outdoor light.) A camera's flash range tells you how far from the camera the flash will provide proper exposure: If the subject is out of range, you'll know to close the distance. But digital cameras tolerate some underexposure before the image suffers noticeably.

Red-eye reduction shines a light toward your subject just before the main flash. (A camera whose flash unit is farther from the lens reduces the risk of red eye. Computer editing may also correct red eye.) With automatic flash mode, the camera fires the flash whenever the light entering the camera registers as insufficient.

How to choose

Performance differences. In Consumer Reports' most recent tests, image colors looked fine. Digital cameras did much better with fluorescent lighting than regular film processing labs have done. (Fluorescent lighting can give film photos a greenish cast.) Tests have also shown that a higher pixel count alone doesn't necessarily produce better picture quality.

The image-handling software provided with a digital camera is generally easy to use. The results are usually pleasing--or readily altered further if you are not satisfied. The software does have its limits, though. It can't fix an out-of-focus image, for example.

Recommendations. A 2-megapixel model is likely to offer you the best overall value: good quality at a relatively moderate price. Look for a camera with a 3x optical zoom lens and good image-handling software.

A 1-megapixel camera is fine for small snapshots or photos you e-mail to friends and family, but it's not the best choice if you want to make 8x10 enlargements.

A 3-megapixel camera provides some breathing room: files large enough for enlargements, yet not so gargantuan than you'll have difficulty saving, storing, or e-mailing them.

The current high-end consumer cameras--those in the 4- to 6-megapixel range, are for people with plenty of cash and who need a camera verging on professional-grade for special uses.

When comparing cameras, be sure you compare the so-called native pixel count. Some cameras employ software that lets them share pixels and raise the apparent pixel count.

Try before you buy. Quite a few digital cameras offer a shallow grip or no grip. Some LCD viewers are awkwardly situated and could easily be soiled with nose or thumbprints. If you wear glasses, you might look for a camera viewfinder with a diopter adjustment that may allow you to see the image without your glasses while using the camera.

For the latest information on this and many other products and services, visit www.ConsumerReports.org.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright of Consumer Reports: Silver Content is the property of Consumers Union and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use.
Source: Consumer Reports: Silver Content, 3/11/2003, pN.PAG, 1p
Item: 9314468

King Aaron
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:07 PM
i have Olympus... 2.0 pixel... it's pretty good... it's the one i use to take pics, marri. :D i'll tell all about it when i see you on msn, k? :)
Take pics of you, Marri and Tammy right? ;)

cynicole
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:32 PM
I'm coming out of a long posting hiatus for this one.

I'm surrounded by techno geeks at the moment and this is what they generally believe when it comes to digital cameras:

1. Nikon and Canon
3. Olympus (some great cameras; some not-so-great cameras...you really have to check them)
4. Sony (Good cameras but considered overpriced for what they are...and could be quite bulky)

The professional camera dealer near my home actually recommends the Fuji Finepix cameras. I've personally had my eye on getting an Olympus camera for the past couple of years, simply because they have insane optical zoom (within my price range) on them. One day, while looking at that UltraZoom (C-700, I think it was...whichever one really pissed people off because they came out with an even better version of it less than a year after releasing it) at one of those office supply stores one of those sales people approached me and I asked him why the specialty store recommended Fuji. It turns out that the Fuji cameras regularly performed the best when it came to color issues.

I actually have an old Fuji digital camera and after my experiences with it I'm very reluctant to buy another one.

If storage is a big concern, you should look at the various storage media that the camera uses. I'd avoid anything that solely uses 3.5 floppies (which do still have their uses, just probably not yours) and I never quite understood the whole 3"-CDR thing (you have to keep buying them).

Completely ignore "Digital Zoom." That's just one of those options stuck on a label to mislead people who don't know any better. And unless you like your disk space being guzzled, I wouldn't consider those movie options either.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:26 PM
.. i need your help again! :D

ok ok, what is concidered as a good dig. cam? I am looking for a good dig cam. nothing fancy, but the quality should be good. and i'd like to storage many pics... dunno how much storage limit is "normal" though. I've found some cameras for decent prices on the internet. So i need your help so i know that i'm getting a good enough camera!

Thanks!!!!! :wavey: :)
OMG! You aren't going out to take pictures of naked elephants so that you can post them here are you? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:37 PM

hey! :D

ok... is this the camera you have?

Olympus D-510 Zoom

http://img.dpreview.com/reviews/images/oly_c200z.gif

I've read many reviews on that cam at the site Tine gave me a link too... and it's gotten high grades.
Have you developed/printed out pics from this camera? And some ppl metioned that the quality isn't so good when it's used at nighttime and where there's low-light conditoins. What are your opinions?

Iconoclast
Apr 13th, 2003, 06:30 PM
I'm coming out of a long posting hiatus for this one.

I'm surrounded by techno geeks at the moment and this is what they generally believe when it comes to digital cameras:

1. Nikon and Canon
3. Olympus (some great cameras; some not-so-great cameras...you really have to check them)
4. Sony (Good cameras but considered overpriced for what they are...and could be quite bulky)
Good post, I just have a few thoughts to contribute.

Nikon has more to offer in the low-end consumer range than Sony, but otherwise I wouldn't rank them above. The Sony Cybershot series is not bad. I personally find the design hideous, but they are definitely not bulky. But I do agree about the pricing - the Sony brand costs $, £, or €.

Kodak and Minolta are also important players. Especially the Dimage 5/7 models by Minolta are interesting. Some big, bulky bastards, but that's how an SLR cam looks, and they have some decent tele power (7x) to boot.

Pentax and Ricoh are traditional camera makers, but they are not that apt in the digital department, though they do have some attractive models.

For low-budget (if it makes sense to speak of low budget in regards to digital cameras) consumers, I think the Canon Powershot A60 and A70 (3MP), which I believe are the newest in the series, are top dogs. Nikon has some good ones in the Coolpix line as well, but the design makes them look cheasy.

Fuji - don't know about them. I have a really bad digital camera from Fuji somewhere in a closet, but it was one of the first they introduced, so it was sort of supposed to suck. Some of the Finepix's look a lot like Canon's Powershot A series, both in specifications and design.

You mentioned the C-700 (Ultrazoom) from Olympus. They sell like dirt I hear (if dirt sells?). However, the C-720 was hardly an improvement, although it may have jumped to 3MP. The C-730 was a much hotter item - as it had a 10x lens as opposed to 8x on C-720.

The newest in the line is the C-750, which is to be released in May. 10x optical zoom and 4MP (3MP in the little brother, 740). But - they lack image stabilization (unlike the outdated, but heralded C-2100) which is a major minus. At full tele a little camera shake will doom the picture to be blurred, unless your shutter speed is really, really fast, or if you use a tripod.

Panasonic has a 12x zoom model with stabilization, which is in the same price range as the C-750, or cheaper, but it's only a 2MP machine (1600x1200). And Pana is more of camcorder entrerprise.

2MP is fine if the pics are not going to large prints, and of course they don't take as much storage space on the memory cards, but it's nice to have the option of going big.

Personally, I would probably rate Canon above other brands. And then there's a tight field of Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Kodak, Minolta. It all depends on the model, though. And Olympus sports some damn fine ones of those.

Cariaoke
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:32 PM
gladysharon: why do I burn a cd for my family? because we're all computer geeks and it's cheaper than having to develop them a complete new set from the film center.

marri: yep, that's my camera! :kiss: I haven't printed anything because I mainly use any photos I take with it on my website or to give to friends/family. I think it matters more the type of printer you print it out on than the actual photo you take because you can take a bad photo, put it in photoshop and make it great on screen (RGB) but when you print it out (CMYK), it looks rather bad. Invest in a good photo printer... HP or Canon. I can't tell you any models off the top of my head...

I can't remember who it was who said this but in the digital photography world, Nikon/Canon is #1 with Olympus close behind. Camedia's are good but I don't think Olympus calls their newer models that anymore.

I wouldn't fool with Sony because their cameras tend to be bulky... if you want to be able to take good pics really fast without having to lug this gigantic camera out of your bag, go with Nikon/Canon/Olympus slimline collection. Mavicas are great but the delay in having to burn an image onto a disk or floppy isn't worth it. Those are mainly for still/fashion photography. When I was in Paris, I didn't have time to enjoy the scenery; I had to take the pics and go. Anybody that vacations understands the need.

Anyway... as far as your night photography question... there's a specific night photography setting on my camera so I'm not sure why they said what they said... anyway, I've attached some night pics from Paris and you tell me what you think of the quality... Olympus should pay me... :p

And here's my pic of the eiffel tower at night, all taken with my Olympus cam... http://images.deviantart.com/large/photography/photocityscape/Tour_Eiffel_la_Nuit.jpg

decemberlove
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:46 PM
unless you are really into taking photos... you really have no need for 4MP+.

i have a 2mp HP... n it takes great 10" by 12" pictures [on the highest quality setting]. i bought a mem card for $25... so it takes 88 highest quality pictures... which is enough for me.

10 by 12 is fine for me... my camera is really just used for memories and nothing professional. if i was willing to spend $600 on a digital camera i would just go all out and dish out more money for a digital video camera that also takes pictures.

decemberlove
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Anyway... as far as your night photography question... there's a specific night photography setting on my camera so I'm not sure why they said what they said... anyway, I've attached some night pics from Paris and you tell me what you think of the quality... Olympus should pay me... :p

And here's my pic of the eiffel tower at night, all taken with my Olympus cam... http://images.deviantart.com/large/photography/photocityscape/Tour_Eiffel_la_Nuit.jpg

do you use a tripod for night pictures? it makes it a lot easier... looks like you didnt hold the camera still enough... thats why theres that motion.

and i agree with oyu about sony.

Cariaoke
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:00 PM
no, i don't take tripods on vacation... and no i didn't hold the camera still enough because I was WALKING at the time of taking the picture... like i said I was on the go.

gentenaire
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:41 PM
with a digital camera you can actually take better night shots than with a normal camera. The night shot thingie is ideal for taking pics of people at night. The people are lit up, but the background isn't.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:15 PM
gladysharon: why do I burn a cd for my family? because we're all computer geeks and it's cheaper than having to develop them a complete new set from the film center.

marri: yep, that's my camera! :kiss: I haven't printed anything because I mainly use any photos I take with it on my website or to give to friends/family. I think it matters more the type of printer you print it out on than the actual photo you take because you can take a bad photo, put it in photoshop and make it great on screen (RGB) but when you print it out (CMYK), it looks rather bad. Invest in a good photo printer... HP or Canon. I can't tell you any models off the top of my head...

I can't remember who it was who said this but in the digital photography world, Nikon/Canon is #1 with Olympus close behind. Camedia's are good but I don't think Olympus calls their newer models that anymore.

I wouldn't fool with Sony because their cameras tend to be bulky... if you want to be able to take good pics really fast without having to lug this gigantic camera out of your bag, go with Nikon/Canon/Olympus slimline collection. Mavicas are great but the delay in having to burn an image onto a disk or floppy isn't worth it. Those are mainly for still/fashion photography. When I was in Paris, I didn't have time to enjoy the scenery; I had to take the pics and go. Anybody that vacations understands the need.

hi :D

the reason why i asked about the whole printing stuff is coz the photoshops here print out pics taken with digital cameras. but since ppl have said that i should get a cam with atleast 4mp if i want to have good quality printed pics, maybe the cam you have isn't suitable? i dunno...

Tine, which site did you buy your cam at? Coz i might wanna take a look at that. most stuff is overpriced in this country, so if there is a big diff. money wise, i'd like to buy the cam from that place. (must be a good choice since you chose to use it;))

Rocketta
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Always carry a tripod for your night shots!! I know I do and will. The only reason digital with a night shot version might be better is cause they will focus the light. However, if your like me and never use a flash for my scenic night shots. A tripod and regular camera with a manual setting is da best. You have all the control in the world. Plus a cable release is a must. :)

Now back to the digital debate. Its interesting especially since I don't own one and don't see myself getting one anytime soon. I'm definitely going to get myself a top of the line scanner though. One that scans more than one negative or slide at a time.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:20 PM
ok... i've found some cameras..

hope you can help me out :)

Kodak DX6340 (http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PMAS03/1046333717.html)
there's also an European version of that cam
online price: $445

Kodak Easyshare LS633 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=865&pq-locale=en_US)
online price: Nordic version: $506 European version: $460 (????)

Kodak DX4330 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=104&pq-locale=en_US)
online price: $354

Olympus µ[mju:] 300 (http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm/test_ID/179)
online price: $500

Sony Digital camera DSC-P52 (http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10537&_cart_=830301547)
online price: $383

Sony Digital camera DSC-P72 (http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10538)
online price: $444

Sony Digital camera DSC-P32 (http://www.imagestation.com/shop/product/sony/?prodID=10536)
online price: $333

LOL so yeah... i think i've chosen cameras with too high prices... and i also noticed that the prices here are so high compared to other online shopping sites :eek:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Fuji FinePix A204 Zoom (http://www.xd.no/asp/mcweb.asp?side=info&p=1258&l=3)
$298

Kodak EasyShare CX4230
(http://www.xd.no/asp/mcweb.asp?side=info&p=734&l=3)
$274

Nikon CoolPix 2000 (http://www.mpx.no/asp/info.asp?tips=true&p=6861&l=3&referrer=kelkoo&ntopris=0)
$306

Nikon CoolPix 2100 (http://www.mpx.no/asp/info.asp?tips=true&p=11387&l=3&referrer=kelkoo&ntopris=0)
$334

Tweety
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:00 PM
... and here is mine Minolta Dimage S 404 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltas404/)

I've got it since almost one year and it's still doing a great job :)

Rocketta
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:29 PM
ok Marri heres how Consumer Reports rates them in the lasted issue (May '03)

5-Megapixel Cameras

1. Nikon Coolpix 5700----$1200
2. Olympus Camedia c-5050---$800

4-Megapixel Cameras

1. Canon PowerShot G3-----$800
2. HP Photosmart 850-----$500
3. Konica Degital Revia KD-400z----$475

2-3 MegaPixel Cameras

1. FujiFilm FinePix 3800------$400
2. Kodak EasyShare DX4330---$300
3. FujiFilm FinePix 601 Zoom---$550
4. Kadak EasyShare DX3600 Zoom---$300

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:50 PM
ok Marri heres how Consumer Reports rates them in the lasted issue (May '03)

5-Megapixel Cameras

1. Nikon Coolpix 5700----$1200
2. Olympus Camedia c-5050---$800

4-Megapixel Cameras

1. Canon PowerShot G3-----$800
3. Konica Degital Revia KD-400z----$475

2-3 MegaPixel Cameras

1. FujiFilm FinePix 3800------$400
2. Kodak EasyShare DX4330---$300
3. FujiFilm FinePix 601 Zoom---$550
4. Kadak EasyShare DX3600 Zoom---$300
thanks!!! :D

Rocketta
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Marri, You're welcome!

They all received Very Goods along with others but none of the cameras were in the excellent range. I don't know why. However, all the #1's were very close to being in the excellent range.

Iconoclast
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:11 PM
This is a very interesting camera. With its 8x optical zoom (equivalent to 300mm, unusually large for digitial consumer cam), 4 MP, and very reasonable price. The lens is a Fujinon, i.e. Fuji-designed.

However, it's a bit large which may be a worry to some. And it lacks image stabilization, which makes it a bit more difficult getting perfect pictures at full zoom.

It did very well in a comparison with the Canon G3 (noise level and that stuff) in this review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hp850/

Another review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/hp850.html

Both with sample pics.

Rocketta
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Yeah well with a 300mm lens you really cant go below a shutter speed of 500 to guarantee no camera shake. That has to be a very sunny day. Also if people leave it on automatic and let the camera choose their shutter speed I would suspect that its chosing a speed to slow for that long of a lens??

That is for regular camera's, I'm not sure what the ratio would be for a digital camera lens?

decemberlove
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:08 PM
This is a very interesting camera. With its 8x optical zoom (equivalent to 300mm, unusually large for digitial consumer cam), 4 MP, and very reasonable price. The lens is a Fujinon, i.e. Fuji-designed.

However, it's a bit large which may be a worry to some. And it lacks image stabilization, which makes it a bit more difficult getting perfect pictures at full zoom.

It did very well in a comparison with the Canon G3 (noise level and that stuff) in this review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hp850/

Another review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/hp850.html

Both with sample pics.

my boyfriend has the 850... no complaints here. pictures come out beautiful...

gentenaire
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:19 PM
My father just bought the HP 850 for the office, I haven't tried it yet.

Marri, don't be fooled by the American prices, the cameras are a lot more expensive in Europe :( And ordering in the US is not an option unless you plan on traveling there yourself. You'll have to pay taxes on the camera when it arrives in Norway.

Of the following German sites I've read positive reports (i.e. someone ordered a camera there and everything went smoothly, camera arrived in fine order). I don't know if they deliver in Norway, you should check.

http://topfoto-online.de/
www.digitaleyes.de
www2.ny-camera.net
www.technikdirekt.de
www.fotoking.de

Other German digital shops (don't know anyone who's tried these sites though)

http://www.diekamera.de/
http://www.photo-porst24.de/

There are more...

Germany's by far the cheapest, the disadvantage is that your manual is in German as well but for most cameras you can find English user guides online.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:46 PM
:wavey:

Tine, the those $ prices i posted were calculated over from NOK ;) so it's more a norwegian price than an american price.
i'll take a look at those sites, thanks :) just to compare and see how much more expensive the cams here are compared to the german ones.

ok, theres' a lot of talk about optical and digital zoom. what is that? lol sorry for not knowing so much... :o but i'm here to learn :angel:

gentenaire
Apr 15th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Marri, forget about digital zoom and concentrate only on the optical zoom.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 16th, 2003, 10:53 PM
sooo, just to give you a lil update. i went to a shop today and talked to this guy there. And i'll most like buy an Olympus C-350 dig. cam :) :bounce:

i'll get the cam, 16mb card thingy + 64 mb card, rechargeble batts and a case for about $500.

*can't wait* :D :bounce:

MarcusRock
Apr 17th, 2003, 12:46 PM
sooo, just to give you a lil update. i went to a shop today and talked to this guy there. And i'll most like buy an Olympus C-350 dig. cam :) :bounce:

i'll get the cam, 16mb card thingy + 64 mb card, rechargeble batts and a case for about $500.

*can't wait* :D :bounce:You sound like youve made up your mind but for what it's worth, I have a Sony DSC-P51. I gather it's last year's version of the P52 you listed earlier. If you want a sample of the pics I've taken with it, check out my picture thread from Amelia Island. CLICK HERE! (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=65432)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 17th, 2003, 02:27 PM
hey marcusrock :)

thanks for the link! I've looked at the P52 cam here, and i've found out that the Sony cam's here are very overpriced :eek: