PDA

View Full Version : changes i've noticed in Lindsay's game that may help her to beat Serena...

tennischick
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Lindsay has been working with Adam Peterson only a short while but already i've notuced certain changes in her game.

first of all, she is moving into net more. she is volleying extremely well. her record against Vera was something like 21 out of 22. that is an incredible success rate. and she is hitting all kinds of volleys -- from both sides, swinging volleys, flat/traditional.

Serena has also been trying to volley more but she does so tentatively and without much confidence. and the minute she flubs it, she moves back to the baseline. i assume that she will continue to work on this.

Lindsay's movement has improved considerably. there was a time when all you had to do to beat Lindsay was hit some drop shots bec she never moved into the court. no longer. she is moving smoothly and she is getting to every drop shot and scoring some sweet winners when she does. she anticipates them well.

Serena's movement improved considerably between Wimbledon last year and the AO this year. she is very FAST (faster than Lindsay) but she can still occasionally be clumsy. she still falls down occasionally when she is wrong-footed. Lindsay can exploit that.

Lindsay's forehand can still let her down occasionally but when she gets it in, it can be so powerful that it's unreturnable.

Serena's forehand has also improved significantly but it is still her Achilles heel.

Lindsay has been working on hitting her returns BEHIND the player. she did this very effectively against Clarisa Fernandez. she was less effective with this approach against Vera who anticipated her better. in fact, by Set 2 Lindsay basically abandoned this approach and went more for the Agassi-style side-to-side bashing. that worked against Vera. i suspect however that trying to go behind Serena may be more effective. of course Serena being as fast as she is will mean that this is no guarantee of success.

i like Adam Peterson so far as a coach for Lindsay. her attitude has been quite positive during this tourny (Family Cup) and i assume that he has played a part in this as well. i never liked the idea of her working with her boyfriend's brother but i have nothing against her working with his former roomate!

i still give Serena the edge in this match-up but if a player has to stop Serena's winning streak i'd rather it be Lindsay bec she's clearly been working hard on making subtle changes in her game.

comments? :wavey:

tennischick
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:02 PM
thanks Baje! :) i'm good, how r u? i just got back from an interesting trip to Ja. i'll PM u about it. ;)

and i forgot to mention Serena's awesome and powerful passing shots. that and her big serves will make the difference in the outcome of this match. i can't wait for it to start! :wavey:

CanadianBoy21
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM
U mentioned some elements of the game. Serena's first serve always was better then Lindsay, even when Serena was 10th and Lindsay 2 or 3rd, Serena beat her because of the serve. Serena also has a better second serve I think, she has the best second serve. Movement, does Lindsay even come close to Serena? Confidence, Serena has won the last four grand slams, and 20 matches in a row, so yeah, Serena. Volleys, Serena because she is more athletic and hits better approaches so oesn't really need to use anything special, but she can. Groundstrokes, here Lindsay is better I think, she has an accurate forehand and backhand with speed. Mentally Serena is also stronger, I think lindsay might chock if she gets close.
This being clay, groundstrokes are slower obviously, so lindsay loses her big weapon.
All Serena has to do is hit a few angles here and there mized with power shots and huge serves and the match is hers.

tennischick
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:32 PM
superdevil:
yes Serena has the better serve. but if you read the title of my thread you will see that my focus was on the changes that i have noticed in Lindsay's game. i wasn't at all intending to minimize any of Serena's capabilities -- which is why i give her the edge. in case you missed that too.

joaco
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:34 PM
:wavey: Hi! Nice riview, I hope everything you just said is true. I haven't seen Lindsay play in a long time (since AO), but it's true she has improved a lot. Hope she can cope an excellent match with Serena, it's time she does that!

Joaco

spencercarlos
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:38 PM
U mentioned some elements of the game. Serena's first serve always was better then Lindsay, even when Serena was 10th and Lindsay 2 or 3rd, Serena beat her because of the serve. Serena also has a better second serve I think, she has the best second serve. Movement, does Lindsay even come close to Serena? Confidence, Serena has won the last four grand slams, and 20 matches in a row, so yeah, Serena. Volleys, Serena because she is more athletic and hits better approaches so oesn't really need to use anything special, but she can. Groundstrokes, here Lindsay is better I think, she has an accurate forehand and backhand with speed. Mentally Serena is also stronger, I think lindsay might chock if she gets close.
This being clay, groundstrokes are slower obviously, so lindsay loses her big weapon.
All Serena has to do is hit a few angles here and there mized with power shots and huge serves and the match is hers.
Yes Davenport can hit better groundstrokes, when she is not moving, once she is pushed on the run :rolleyes:. Obviously she has the power on the shots to compete against the Williams sisters but her movement is so poor, once she is stretched she has no chance.

CanadianBoy21
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:40 PM
no TC, I haven;t missed it, I'm just stating my opinion on this match... and that Lindsay has still ways to go to match Serena.
Good luck to Linds too.
go thread TC

bis2806
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:41 PM
thanks for the review ;) I also hope that Lindsay will be making more improvements in her game but what i've heard for the past few days is that Lindsay is approaching her game with a more positive attitude and that's a good sign to get lindsay back into the level she's supposed to be at.... go Lindsay!

tennischick
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Yes Davenport can hit better groundstrokes, when she is not moving, once she is pushed on the run :rolleyes:. Obviously she has the power on the shots to compete against the Williams sisters but her movement is so poor, once she is stretched she has no chance.
honestly i think that Lindsay's movement has improved considerably.

but i agree that she has no chance of winning with a defensive game. she has to move into net and play Serena very aggressively. the problem is that it's tough to maintain that approach against the Queen of Aggression. ;)

proteus
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Hi TC! I didn't get to see any of these players at this tournament and appreciate your comments, thanks. :) Subject to that qualification, Serena gets my nod because she always raises her game, like a champion does. Can't comment on Lindsay's improvements ;), except to say that (a) they sound good and (b) it'll be really hard for her to incorporate newly made changes under pressure.

Kart
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:01 PM
A player of Lindsay's calibre is always going to have a chance to beat Serena. She must serve very well though and most importantly IMHO, not get down on herself at any stage in the match. Once you see her shoulders slump these days, you begin to think it's already over against a Williams sister.

Of course, if Serena's in top form it's always going to be a big ask I'm afraid.

Maajken
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Volleys, Serena because she is more athletic and hits better approaches so oesn't really need to use anything special, but she can.
sorry but lmao :D Lindsay is a waaaay better volleyer than serena. yes serena doesnt need much volley-ing skills once she gets herself at the net, but when it comes down to it, lindsay owns her as far as basic technical volleys are concerned.

and second...at whoever said lindsay doesnt have a chance once she's stretched out wide...i assume you didnt see yesterday's match, nor any of her other over the past year for that matter. players who know they dont run as the best go for their shots if theyre stretched wide and often hit winners that way. lindsay has done this many many times. so dont give me that crap :rolleyes:

that said...may the best one win :angel:

tennischick
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Hi TC! I didn't get to see any of these players at this tournament and appreciate your comments, thanks. :) Subject to that qualification, Serena gets my nod because she always raises her game, like a champion does. Can't comment on Lindsay's improvements ;), except to say that (a) they sound good and (b) it'll be really hard for her to incorporate newly made changes under pressure.
thanks proteus :kiss:

and actually you are absolutely correct. Serena is applying soooooo much pressure that Lindsay is not getting the chance to show any of the changes i mentioned above. she is hitting too many double-faults which means that her serve is off; if she has moved into net once then i missed it; if she has hit a single volley i missed that too; and her movement sucks against the much faster and more powerful Serena.

Serena on the other hand is simply, breath-taking awesome. i am truly in awe..:worship: :worship:

c2
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Good analysis tc and I think you're right too...

the cat
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:53 PM
TC, I've always considered Long Lindsay Davenport, as the great Bud Collins calls her, an intelligent power player. Thus I'm not surprised Lindsay realizes she needs to add more variety to her once dominant game. She realizes she can't match up with an in form Serena. Her changes will be more noticable against players who will let Lindsay play that way. The way Zvonareva did. But not against Serena who plays great defense that she ever so quickly turns into great offense.

But kudos to Davenport for trying to add something to her game.

As for Serena, she is the best and most devastating female tennis player I have ever seen! :eek: The other great ones like Graf, Seles, Navratilova and Evert all had weaknesses that opponents could exploit. But that's not the case with Serena. Only her unforced errors keep her opponents in matches. And she is so mentally tough now! Wow! :bounce:

And Serena has acquited herself quite well off the court, too. She is now the undisputed off the court Queen for female tennis players and all female athletes for that matter! :D

c2
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:01 PM
yes I believe you are right cat.. serena shows lots of maturity and grace on & off court so that will endear her to the public at large.

the cat
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:04 PM
She sure does, c2. She sure does.

TC, what is Ja? Japan or Jamacia? I'm guessing Japan.

LOL @ TC's signature! It's so true! And it's so funny! Well the way Chris Rock puts it is what makes it so funny! :p I've never noticed that signature before. Is it a new sig, TC?

SJW
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:16 PM
OMFG Tennis Chick ur Sig had me ROTFLMFAO!!!

tennischick
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:49 PM
the sig is new. i just got it this week in a funny email from a friend. there were a bunch of other sayings that i got so i will rotate them over the next few weeks. all are priceless. :D

there is only one Ja Cat and Japan it ain't. i agree with your analysis about Lindsay and Serena. yes the subtle changes in Lindsay's game were very clear against lesser opponents. against Serena's devastating power, Lindsay had no chance. i mean Serena had her so completely pinned to the baseline that she couldn't get into the court even if she wanted to. not that she seemed to want to.

i was looking at the size of Serena's right arm -- the whole arm from shoulder to fingers. it's like a long muscled club. you can see the power rippling in those finely developed muscles even when the arm is at rest! Lindsay didn't stand a chance.

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:01 AM
No one can beat Serena if she played like she did in that first set. :eek:

tennischick
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:06 AM
No one can beat Serena if she played like she did in that first set. :eek:
i actually had a sentence saying exactly that in my post but i edited it out bec i had read Kart's earlier post and decided that she was right. everyone is indeed beatable. so what i'll say instead is that Serena can be beaten, i just don't know by whom...;) ;)

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:41 AM
i actually had a sentence saying exactly that in my post but i edited it out bec i had read Kart's earlier post and decided that she was right. everyone is indeed beatable. so what i'll say instead is that Serena can be beaten, i just don't know by whom...;) ;)

Well at least no one currently on tour that we have seen. ;)

the cat
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Okay TC, Ja(Jamacia) it is!

I don't think Serena should let her loss today take away from anythng she's done in the past year. Actually, Henin's win today will spice things up a in women's tennis. I've said for a couple of years now that Justine Henin is the most talented female tennis player in the world, pound for pound. The probllem is she doesn't have enough pounds to consistently challenge the heavyweights of women's tennis. But today was Justine's day.