PDA

View Full Version : I finally saw a tape of the serena-monica exibition!

croat123
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:33 PM
it was on sunshine network here in florida

it was a great match, both players were extremely competative even though it was an exhibition. seles was not moving well though, probably because of her injury, otherwise she could have won. serena served very well (she mixed up her serves very well and hit quite a few aces outwide on the duece side) and she also wrong-footed seles quite a bit. monica fought hard, she had a chance to win the second, but double faulted on break point at 4-4 and serena then held easily, ending the match with a cc overhead.

btw, i also saw the doubles. serena/jana def. venus/brenda 8-7(4?). also very competative. jana had the best vollies of all four of them, i was very impressed, she is also in great shape. brenda still has a great serve (she even aced serena once :eek:). venus looked a bit off, she wasn't moving as well as she usually does and hit quite a few ues. serena played well, her serve was unbreakable.

selesrules
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:38 PM
it was on sunshine network here in florida

it was a great match, both players were extremely competative even though it was an exhibition. seles was not moving well though, probably because of her injury, otherwise she could have won.

If Monica is moving well, in my opinion she's practically unbeatable. In terms of shotmaking & talent, she's unmatchable. However her weakness is the movement, I hope her injury heals up very soon. I bet Monica was moving 2 times slower then Serena, and she still managed to make it close. Imagine if you give Monica's speed to Serena, and Serena's speed to Monica. Monica would probably win 6-0, 6-0.

venus looked a bit off, she wasn't moving as well as she usually does and hit quite a few ues

That's understandable. Venus was playing Serena, she was probably terrifiyed. I bet she couldn't even look her in the eyes.

slydevil6142
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Actually i saw this match as well and Venus didnt look very off to me at all. In fact her returns were much better than they had been over the last year or so. Im sure she relaizes that she must return better and become more aggressive.

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Actually Richard always Said Monica was the WS biggest threat

Infiniti2001
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE='croat123']venus looked a bit off, she wasn't moving as well as she usually does and hit quite a few ues. QUOTE]

I was there in person and I think this is off... Venus was so into that match -- I believe she held her serve throughout expect once. Brenda still hits big serves , but she could not hold which is why they lost to Serena and Jana.

Alek
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Monica :D

Brenda :D

spencercarlos
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:03 PM
If Monica is moving well, in my opinion she's practically unbeatable. In terms of shotmaking & talent, she's unmatchable. However her weakness is the movement, I hope her injury heals up very soon. I bet Monica was moving 2 times slower then Serena, and she still managed to make it close. Imagine if you give Monica's speed to Serena, and Serena's speed to Monica. Monica would probably win 6-0, 6-0.

That's understandable. Venus was playing Serena, she was probably terrifiyed. I bet she couldn't even look her in the eyes.
You and your silly comments, Monica moving well unbeatable and winning 6-0 6-0 over Serena? That (unbeatable thing) never happened in 1990-1993 years, when Graf, Sabatini and Navratilova could beat Seles couple of times (oh yes i forgot Monica tanked those matches :rolleyes:).
Venus hits harder and moves better than Monica and still is not unbeatable :rolleyes:

oggie
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the report croat123. Does anybody happen to know the statistics for the match?

faboozadoo15
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM
petosp: selesrules said that monica has the best "shotmaking and talent," and selesrules did not say if "monica had her movement of 90-93" but rather the movement of serena williams NOW. i think serena is a litte bit faster now than monica ever was.

btw, the comparison u made about "hitting hard" for monica and venus is a little flawed. monica may not have as much pace on the ball, but she aims better and makes less errors. her ground game matches up against venus's very well. did u watch the match in la? venus's serve pulled her through that tough tough match, but monica won a lot of the long rallies and was very much IN both of those sets...