PDA

View Full Version : Germany's Olympics 2012 candidate is ...

GoDominique
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:57 PM
LEIPZIG.

Pffffff - I wanted Hamburg, but oh well.

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I wanted Düsseldorf! :mad:

Iconoclast
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:07 PM
This makes perfect sense. Leipzig has absolutely no chance of winning. It has zero name recognition globally. It's like Great Britain nominating Bristol. Or the US picking Tucson, Arizona.

Hamburg would fare much better - but it would still have a difficult time against cities like New York, London, Paris, Toronto, Madrid. And what about Istanbul, Rio, and Moscow?

matthias
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
i don´t care about this election, because german city will have no chance to win the election

it will be a decicion between Paris, New York and maybe Toronto
(Toronto depends on the Winter-Games 2010, because if Vancouver win, then Toronto has no chance and will most likely not bid)

i hope Leipzig will get at least "short-listed" because there are few other strong cities
like Madrid, Moscow, Istanbul, maybe Capetown, maybe London, maybe Budapest. to get a "official Candidate City" would be already a nice result for Leipzig.

i´m sure we will see another german bid 2016, and if german really want the games we will see a bid for 2020 too. because i´m sure the loser between Paris and New York will bid for 2016 too.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Leipzig won't get it....... not much known about it

But Hamburg ??????? does that even have a summer ??

Berlin would have been a good bet
or Frankfurt.

matthias
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:30 PM
it is just a stereotype about Hamburg and the Rain!!!

GoDominique
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Leipzig won't get it....... not much known about it

But Hamburg ??????? does that even have a summer ??

Berlin would have been a good bet
or Frankfurt.
Weak post, Eggy. :p

Sure, it rains a lot in Hamburg, but yes, there is a summer.

And Berlin wasn't even a candidate. :p

At least the people there seem to be really behind it.

DutchieGirl
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:04 PM
:D I'm happy Leipzig got it! It was the first German city that I saw (well, I don't count seeing a suburb of Frankfurt on the train as seeing a city). I think Leipzig's a great city - even thought it probably won't get the Olympics, it might help people learn about it a bit more and boost the tourism! ;)

Monica_Rules
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM
I hope London does bid

Roxers
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:37 PM
I wanted Düsseldorf :(

Kris
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:54 PM
I did not know why all the members of the NOK chosed Leipzig, I think it was the emotional presentation video full of tears...

TS
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:54 PM
But if Hamburg got nominated wouldn't people complain that the IOC was being unfair to Monica? ;)

Strange choice in Leipzig...something tells me its America's turn come 2012...again.

gentenaire
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
I hope a European city gets it :)

GoDominique
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:58 PM
But if Hamburg got nominated wouldn't people complain that the IOC was being unfair to Monica? ;)

Strange choice in Leipzig...something tells me its America's turn come 2012...again.
LOL. If Leipzig gets the Olympics people will discuss if Monica plays there. ;)

wongqks
Apr 13th, 2003, 06:06 PM
I think if the country are really serious about wanting their country to win the olympics, it has to go with the capital city, or well renowned city or unless your country is called USA :rolleyes: (Atlantic City ring any bell? ;) ). There is no way they are gonna give to Leizip instead of New York even if the planning for Leizip is 100000 times better New York.

Sam L
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:36 AM
I fail to see a city other than New York hosting the 2012 Olympics. Anyone else agree?