PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's letter to GI in Iraq

spokenword73
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:28 AM
ESPN is running a series called "Jocks to GIs" consisting of letters from sports superstars to troops in Iraq. Andy Roddick has a pen pal, and so does James Blake and Jennifer Capriati. Here's Andy's letter. Sorta interesting.

Hey Frederick,
Glad you could get some time to sneak online ... It seems like things are changing over there pretty fast, tell me what you can. We're all watching the news and it seems like some amazing stuff.

To your email: I am a nuts about sports too. I am ranked 6 in the world right now, but I'm excited to try to move up even more. Jersey boy huh? If you make it back here by US Open time, you will have to come and see some of the tournament.

I will give you a little background about myself too. I was born in Nebraska making me nuts for Huskers football. I am twenty years old now and I live in Boca Raton, FL. which is about 45 minutes north of Miami. I am all about music as well. Who are some of your favorites? When I am home I usually just hang with friends and live a pretty normal life. I have two older brothers who both live in San Antonio.

That's about all I got for now, but I'll wait to hear from you again soon.

andy

RYN
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:31 AM
His Pen Pals name is Frederick... HMMM>..

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Isn't that nice. I'd like to see Jen's letter. ;)

spokenword73
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:55 AM
His Pen Pals name is Frederick... HMMM>..

:confused: why is Frederick curious??

RYN
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:56 AM
:confused: why is Frederick curious??

lol, nothing... just wondering why a guy, you know? lol JK

kerrie1981
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:12 AM
please don't forget that andy is the same guy who blared the anti-war anthem "born in the usa" over the speakers before a match.

i think if i was in the army i wouldn't want a letter from someone so stupid. how about someone who's at least, like, graduated high school?

yukon145
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Roddick is so stuipd that he most likely didn't even know that "Born in the USA" is an anti-war song, I really don't like Roddick but its nice to hear that he's supporting the troops. I would also like to see Jenn's letter, did someone find this on the ESPN website?

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Is this for real.......it sounds a little .....corny to me.

1jackson2001
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:00 AM
These were the letters exchanged before that...

Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2003 10:49 PM
To: Andy Roddick
Subject: RE: email from Andy

Andy
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to correspond with me. I know that I have not been able to tell you anything about myself yet, but we don't have much time n the internet. What is your ranking now? It is 0545 am and I am already at work, so I will have to end this E-mail, but tomorrow I will sit down and give some details about myself.

We did not get to see the NCAA championship game, but from what I hear Anthony is a great player. I got to see him on T.V. one time before I came over here (28 NOV 02). I listen to all types of music, I love music. Most of the time when I am watching sports, I turn the volume down and listen to music while I watch the game. I am from New Jersey, so of course I like the Nets, but I really like the Sixers a little better. Football it is the Giants, baseball the Yankees. All in all, I pretty much watch all sports except golf. I just left Germany so I follow everything from Formula One, to soccer(football). I pretty much like to see one person or team dominate a sport, so when the underdogs win, it brings more excitement to the sport. I am a sports fanatic who enjoys playing all sports also.

That is just a little bit about myself, more to follow in the future.

Once again thank you for taking time to E-mail me, and for your words of encouragement. Good luck in Monte Carlo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2003 10:49 PM
To: frederick.frost
Subject: email from Andy

Hey Frederick,
First of all let me say I am really pumped to be able to shoot some e-mails back and forth. We are all so proud of all you guys over there. Thank you for making it possible for us to feel safe and protected. With that being said, I bet you have been hearing loads of that, so I'll try to talk about some news from home.

You've probably heard Syracuse won the Final Four. They beat Texas and then Kansas in a great game last night. This guy Carmelo Anthony for 'Cuse is a stud. Lots of fun to watch. Baseball season started as well but it is too early to tell what's going to happen. All I know is that my Marlins probably won't be around during the post-season.

Since I don't know you yet, tell me a little about yourself. You know, types of music, favorite sports teams, and whatever else you enjoy. Do you like tennis?

I'm heading off to Monte Carlo in a couple days for a tournament over there. I'm just at home training for the time being. That's pretty much all I got going on. Like I said, I'm really excited to hear back from you so shoot me an e-mail back when you can.

andy

Crazy Canuck
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that Roddick has his high school diploma.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Roddick is so stuipd that he most likely didn't even know that "Born in the USA" is an anti-war song, I really don't like Roddick but its nice to hear that he's supporting the troops. I would also like to see Jenn's letter, did someone find this on the ESPN website?
He's no stupider than the scores of other people who don't understand what that song is actually about. Furthermore, we can't just assume that he didn't know what it meant... perhaps he does, and merely saw it as a way to pump up the crowd.

bis2806
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:34 AM
aww andy :kiss:

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Yeah, he's corresponding with a guy, must mean he's gay, huh?

Never mind that most in military service are male.

Never mind that this is something ESPN put him up to, not something he's doing on his own.

But yeah, he's gay and this is the proof.

Beat
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Roddick is so stuipd that he most likely didn't even know that "Born in the USA" is an anti-war song

he definitely didn't know that. thicko.

Messenger
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Yeah, he's corresponding with a guy, must mean he's gay, huh?

Never mind that most in military service are male.

Never mind that this is something ESPN put him up to, not something he's doing on his own.

But yeah, he's gay and this is the proof.

I thought most of the gay guys on the board thought he was ugly anyway? ;)

Shuji Shuriken
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:45 PM
please don't forget that andy is the same guy who blared the anti-war anthem "born in the usa" over the speakers before a match.

i think if i was in the army i wouldn't want a letter from someone so stupid. how about someone who's at least, like, graduated high school?
Tell me something...can't a person be anti-war but still support the troops? They didn't have a choice about going or not. For all you know, many of them could be anti-war too, but they have to do their jobs. Just a thought from a young idiot like myself. I think it's a good thing to do to keep the morale of the troops up, and I'm glad that two of my faves (yes...Andy and James) are taking time out to do this.

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:12 PM
I take it to be AMerican you cannot be anti-war and that makes you stupid?

I had to laugh my arse off with that because yukon and kerrie just showed how incredibly dumb they are themselves.........

Ignorance must be totally blissful..........

spokenword73
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:14 PM
I agree with bonkers, whoever has been slating him in this thread, give the poor guy a break.

It is nice that he has taken the time out to do this, and I find it a bit unfair that something I would think should be private between the two of them gets circulated around the internet for small-minded people to make fun at.

I guess nothing is secret nowadays though.

Actually the letter was published on ESPN.com for the public to see :wavey:

decemberlove
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:31 PM
I am from New Jersey, so of course I like the Nets, but I really like the Sixers a little better.

yeah thats my kind of Jersey boy :)

selesfan87
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:36 PM
I wonder what Jenny wrote.

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:17 AM
I don't know what Jen wrote..would be interesting to read...but it isn't on ESPN site. I think ESPN put Roddick as the only tennis player to do this corresponding thing.

If you go to the site, you'll see there's Shaq, Tiger, and celebs from other sports who are doing this..

lol, nothing... just wondering why a guy, you know? lol JK

..must mean Shaq and Tiger are gay too :rolleyes:

Shaq has a pen pal named Tony, and Tiger has an Eric for his pen pal.. ;)

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that Roddick has his high school diploma.

Yes, he does. :)

Chris_Martin's_woman
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Even though Rodprick is irratating as hell!!!, I think that the letters are nice.:D:)

Cariaoke
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:07 AM
anyway...

I'm so happy that 2 of my faves are doing this for our troops. It makes me love 'em even more. *sigh* :hearts:

kerrie1981
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:08 AM
I take it to be AMerican you cannot be anti-war and that makes you stupid?

I had to laugh my arse off with that because yukon and kerrie just showed how incredibly dumb they are themselves.........

Ignorance must be totally blissful..........

Excuse me, what are you saying? Here's the facts: Andy Roddick, in an effort to SUPPORT the troops in Iraq, blared one of the most famous anti-war anthems ever recorded. Ignorance is bliss, huh? Yeah, I'd say so too.

Also, if this letter is supposed to be private between Roddick and this sodlier, thus impervious to criticism, then may I please ask why the hell it is being posted on ESPN?

-Sonic-
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:34 AM
"This guy Carmelo Anthony for 'Cuse is a stud"

heehee.

Bella
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:46 AM
The song is about disaffection. It's about being born to nothing and not knowing how to be something. It's about being lost.

The song isn't anti-war. In and of themselves, images of war and of its pain and its losses aren't anti-war.

"Born down in a dead man's town…
…Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go…"

Jakeev
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:05 PM
You are very much excused for being an ignorant witch kerrie......Sounds like you have not listened or read the words of one of the greatest songs of one of the Greatest American Musicians of all time........

I bet there is more American realism n that one song then you have in your entire little girl body..........

Great post Bella!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy Canuck
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Kerrie, are you going to retract that comment about how Roddick doesn't have a highschool diploma, or ignore where your ass got corrected?

Nobody has answered my question btw... Roddick may very well know what the song means, you know. Roddick plays to the crowd, and likely knew that song would get a few people going. That doesn't indicate in itself that he doesn't know what the song is about. He may indeed have no idea, but I fail to see how this has been concluded from such little information.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Well, here's the full lyrics. It does seem to suggest that the Vietnam War, in particular, was meaningless to working class strugglers who got caught up in it, such as the character created by the song. It also seems to suggest that the Vietnam vets were badly treated when they returned (which is hardly news now). So people like this were screwed every way possible.

It is not necessarily anti-war in a general sense. But nor is it a song about pride in being American. Quite the contrary, it suggests that America has betrayed people such as this guy...but he still keeps going.

This isn't reading stuff into the lyrics; it's pretty much plain and on the surface. That is why it is dumb to play it as an expression of American pride and patriotism.

OTOH, it is obvious that most people don't really listen to lyrics of songs most of the time. Anyway, however much Andy may have goofed with this, he seems to be doing a good thing with the correspondence. I bet someone has edited it for him, though.

Anyhow, here we go:

BORN IN THE U.S.A.

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "Son, don't you understand"

I had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go

Born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.

Jakeev
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM
It's not anti-anything. Never was or is. It's simply one of the greatest songs about REAL AMERICAN LIFE.........not what people perpetuate it to be.

bluepastures
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:03 PM
It's very over-simplistic to call "Born In The USA" an anti-war song.

I find it quite depressing that people are criticising Andy Roddick, for what are good gestures towards these soldiers.

Experimentee
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:10 PM
You can still be anti war and support the troops you know. I think it was about expressing his wish to get the troops home safely etc.

JCAP
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:37 PM
What do we go into to raed the letters???

spokenword73
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:43 PM
What do we go into to raed the letters???

espn.com :wavey:

JCAP
Apr 13th, 2003, 06:06 PM

andylover_16
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Awww.. thats a sweet letter :)

I love andy so much :hearts: it seems that he has a great personality even though i've never met him lol :p

I hope u make it past rank 6 to baby :kiss:

overcoming evil is the nobelist cause and the hardest work

Havok
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Awww.. thats a sweet letter :)

I love andy so much :hearts: it seems that he has a great personality even though i've never met him lol :p

I hope u make it past rank 6 to baby :kiss:

overcoming evil is the nobelist cause and the hardest work
uh he already did make it past #6 in the world. he was #5 in January-February for a few weeks

kerrie1981
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Kerrie, are you going to retract that comment about how Roddick doesn't have a highschool diploma, or ignore where your ass got corrected?

Nobody has answered my question btw... Roddick may very well know what the song means, you know. Roddick plays to the crowd, and likely knew that song would get a few people going. That doesn't indicate in itself that he doesn't know what the song is about. He may indeed have no idea, but I fail to see how this has been concluded from such little information.

I'm sorry Rebecca. I never ignore when "my ass" gets corrected. Indeed, I retract. I was wrong. You were right, Roddick has a HS diploma and apparently he was the prom king also.

But that doesn't mean I feel any differently about his non-intelligence. Hopefully you can understand the trap you walk into with the above post: "Roddick plays to the crowd, and likely knew that song would get a few people going." So what? Take that to the extreme for a second, okay? You're basically saying that anything that gets a crowd enthused is defensible, regardless of content. So if Roddick, for instance, were to burn a cross on court before a match with James Blake, that would be fine to you, so long as Roddick pled ignorance when people told him what burning a cross meant? It hyperbolic obviously, but my point is very simple: athletes with limited intellectual power should be called to the floor when they blatantly exhibit it, lest the sport as a whole suffers.

FYI: Ronald Reagan attempted to sample "Born in the USA" as the theme song for his 1984 presidental campaign -- and he was bombarded with criticism for it, including by Mr. Springsteen himself, who I believe called it "witless." I'm no fan of Reagan, but can we AT LEAST all agree that Roddick is equally witless????

Hurley
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM
I'm no fan of Reagan, but can we AT LEAST all agree that Roddick is equally witless????

Ugh! We definitely CAN NOT!

Dubya, yes. Roddick, no.

JCAP
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Ok what do you click on are go into to read the letters?

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Ok what do you click on are go into to read the letters?

Go to the tennis section, and towards the bottom there's a link to "Jocks to GIs: Andy Roddick"

andylover_16
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:05 PM
well im talking about right now im pretty sure it is six last time i checked it was so uh to you just cause i get something wrong dont mean i dont like him a lot :rolleyes:

1jackson2001
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:08 PM
well im talking about right now im pretty sure it is six last time i checked it was so uh to you just cause i get something wrong dont mean i dont like him a lot :rolleyes:

Did Naldo say that you don't like Andy a lot?

I took it as a friendly reminder from Naldo...he's a fellow fan. :)

Hopefully he can go past his career high #5.

Amanda
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:11 PM
What a pathetic waste of space. All the cheerleaders supporting war and pretending to care is so out there. Why not enlist and do some serious supporting?---why not volunteer with the red cross and go over and help rebuild? I'm sure that'll never happen. To Andy and the other publicity seekers....get a grip!

Jakeev
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:12 PM
I am beginning to wonder if kerrie, our latest nitwit to grace our board, is related to leslie somehow?