PDA

View Full Version : Ashley injured?

Cariaoke
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:00 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030412/ap_on_sp_te_ga_su/ten_family_circle_5

Almost as surprising as Davenport's revived game has been the play of Harkleroad, the American teenager who defeated her third straight seeded opponent to make the semifinals. In this one, Harkleroad overpowered Hantuchova, ranked ninth in the world, in 56 minutes.

"I haven't been out here that much," said Harkleroad, who can play full-time on the WTA Tour once she turns 18 on May 2. "They don't know me that well."

On Friday night, though, Harkleroad sprained her right ankle as she and doubles partner Marshona Washington defeated Martina Navratilova and Alica Molik. The WTA said trainers looked at her afterward, and Harkleroad was probable for her singles and doubles matches Saturday.

I hope it doesn't end her great run at this tourney! :sad: Go Ashley! :bounce:

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:07 AM
:sad: What a sad way to end her great run this week. :sad:

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:10 AM
uh, she hasn't pulled out yet, selesfan. And it said she was probable for her semifinal, so I don't think you should panic yet.

Cariaoke
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:11 AM
ice that ankle Ashley! :bounce: let's keep the run going... until you meet you know who... :o

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:13 AM
uh, she hasn't pulled out yet, selesfan. And it said she was probable for her semifinal, so I don't think you should panic yet.
Its unlikely she will be able to keep up with Justine with a sprained ankle, her court movement is one of her best assetts.

Dawn Marie
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Well she did state that she wanted to be like Anna Kournikova! Sometimes you got to be careful what you wish for.

Oh well, better luck next time Ashley.

My little tennis hopes are shattered because she is not going to win against Justine with a half an ankle. Just no way.

Anyway, Ash it was a fantastic run.. you did well!

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Well she did state that she wanted to be like Anna Kournikova! Sometimes you got to be careful what you wish for.

Oh well, better luck next time Ashley.

My little tennis hopes are shattered because she is not going to win against Justine with a half an ankle. Just no way.

Anyway, Ash it was a fantastic run.. you did well!

She never stated she wanted to be like Anna K, the media put that tag on her. She stated she wanted to be known for her tennis not her looks.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Oh man that sux :-( Esp after beating Martina and Co, they've been on a run......

Even if she does play, I can't imagine she will be at her best.

Cariaoke
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:22 AM
perhaps it's good espn2 won't be showing this match because I imagine it to be horrible if Ash is injured as bad as I think she is. what a raw deal...

Dawn Marie
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Choose A USTA Program
Find a Location to Play

Selesfan you are wrong. She clearly states that she doesn't mind being compared to Anna Kournikova in the looks department. She states they play differently. In other words she would like the media to talk about her looks. She clearly said the term "pretty" refering to Anna BEFORE she said her "tennis".

Ashley Harkleroad Rock & Rally Chat Transcript

Jimmy Key:
Ashley, is there a girl on tour that you're dying to play against?

Ashley Harkleroad:
Probably the girl I most want to play against is Anna Kournikova.

monica:
Ashley, what do you like to do on your time off?

Ashley Harkleroad:
I like to relax, go to the beach, read, watch TV, go to the movies, go shopping. It really depends on how I feel that day!

Mark:
How does it feel to be dubbed the "American Anna?"

Ashley Harkleroad:
I take it as a compliment because she's very pretty and a good tennis player. I feel we are different because we don't play the same style of tennis. She's Russian, I'm American. Again, she's very pretty and a great player so I like to be compared to her.

levarius:
Ashley, how did you first start out playing tennis? How old?

Ashley Harkleroad:
I was four. My father took me to the courts every day after school and in the summer. I really started to enjoy it and wanted to play more and more.

safinated:
Do you have any role models as far as tennis champions you admire?

Ashley Harkleroad:
Chris Evert. I felt like she always handled herself very well in public. She was so graceful to watch. She always had a smile whether she won or lost. I think that's a great way to be. She seemed like she had good sportsmanship.

Jake:
What's it been like participating in USA Tennis Month?

Ashley Harkleroad:
It's been so much fun and I'm really happy that they chose me to be a part of it. It's such a big week for me...tomorrow's my birthday!

elvis:
Ashley -- in what ways has your mom influenced you?

Ashley Harkleroad:
So it's been great to be involved in such a great event this week! My mom is not only there for my tennis, but in my normal life when I have problems. It's great to have someone to talk to about things outside of tennis. She could be my best friend.

guga:
which tournis are next for Ash?

Ashley Harkleroad:
I have two tournaments coming up. One in Sea Isle Virginia, one in Georgia. Sorry...Sea Isle Georgia.Then I head off to Europe for three weeks.

Question:
With tomorrow being your birthday...what are your goals for next year?

Ashley Harkleroad:
To get better and better every day. Of course I want to imporve my ranking and win some tournaments, so I'll just need to focus on my tennis every day and always improve.

Copyright 2002 by United States Tennis Association. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Contact Us Online Sales

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:36 AM
She said she didn't mind being compared to Anna but you said she wanted to be compared to Anna. There is a difference, the media put the tag on her, she said it was fine but she is going to concentrate on her tennis.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I think she kinda backed away from the glamour thing after the US Open and all the hoopla over her outfit.

Jordan.
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Does anyone have a pic of that outfit? :o I'm sure it wasnt that bad!

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Does anyone have a pic of that outfit? :o I'm sure it wasnt that bad!

Its the one on her avatar. I didn't like that outfit on any of the players but Ashley's was really tight.

BK4ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Leave Ashley the fuck alone...she is 17...she is allowed to be into her looks...

But I know first hand that Ashley is more about her tennis than anything else...

On a serious less trivial note...Oh no Ashley...why did you have to play that doubles match? Shit

If that ankle is even slightly bothering her tomorrow...she has no chance against Juju...Movement is one of Ash's biggest weapon...she is beautiful on the run

What a bum way for her run to end :sad:

Dawn Marie
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Ok Selesfan, it's no biggie. I think players learned alot thru Anna K. I do think she would like to be compared to Anna k as far as her looks go, she pretty much stated that. I thought you adored Anna, you should be proud if she wants to be a bit like her.

Although, I do think she is all about her tennis now and is focused for her young years! Ashley please be fit for this match against Justine! I admit I am kinda mad cause of her ankle! I know it's not her fault but dam what lousy timing!

Dawn Marie
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Bk4ever, chill nobody is going off about Ashley. She's doing all the right things.

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Ok Selesfan, it's no biggie. I think players learned alot thru Anna K. I do think she would like to be compared to Anna k as far as her looks go, she pretty much stated that. I thought you adored Anna, you should be proud if she wants to be a bit like her.

Although, I do think she is all about her tennis now and is focused for her young years! Ashley please be fit for this match against Justine! I admit I am kinda mad cause of her ankle! I know it's not her fault but dam what lousy timing!

Adore Anna? Me? LMAO! You have the wrong person, I don't dislike her but I am not a fan of hers. I don't even think she is that pretty. ;)

Jordan.
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Hopefully Ashley's ankle isnt too bad tomorrow... :( Go Ashley! :D

Dawn Marie
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Oops I think I got you mixed up with that other selesperson. Your'e the nice one.. sorry.

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Oops I think I got you mixed up with that other selesperson. Your'e the nice one.. sorry.

LOL! How could you confuse me with that other seles fan? ;)

Dawn Marie
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:42 AM
I always do, it's the username it confuses me alot and that is not hard to do. .. lol:);)

treufreund
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:19 AM
I agree with selesfan. Ashley rocks and she is not trying to copy Kournikova. If she really does have the looks of Kournikova and the game of Hingis. :eek: what an asset she really could be for women's tennis. :D

1jackson2001
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:45 AM
That sucks. :(
I hope her ankle holds up well and she'll be able to play the best she can.

Good luck to both Ashley and Justine! :D