PDA

View Full Version : Injury slows Pierce's resurgent year

tennisIlove09
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Injury slows Pierce's resurgent year

By Ron Cioffi

http://www.********************/tr.net_photos_art/HENIN_rc_fcc_03_bh.jpg http://www.********************/tr.net_photos_art/PIERCE_rc_fcc_03_injury.jpg
http://www.********************/tr.net_photos_art/PIERCE_rc_fcc_03_bh.jpg
Ron Cioffi/********************

FROM THE FAMILY CIRCLE CUP IN CHARLESTON, S.C. – Mary Pierce looked more like a jumping jack than an tennis player on the comeback trail as a pulled thigh slowed her in a straight-set whipping by Justine Henin-Hardenne in the Family Circle Cup quarterfinals here.

Pierce sporadically showed the bravado game that won her two Grand Slams. But an aggressive Henin-Hardenne overwhelmed her with nine aces and an ample supply of winners off both wings, 6-2, 6-3.

The Frenchwoman said she injured her right adductor last week in Sarasota, Fla. "Then, [I] was able to take some rest after the tournament and actually played my first match here without it taped, and it felt fine. I had no pain."

Today was a different and more painful story. After the third game, Mary asked for the trainer and then followed the visit with a trip to the locker room. Henin-Hardenne first wrapped herself in towels to feign off the blustery wind and cold that has kept this crowd bundled up like football fans in Minnesota. Then she wacked a few practice serves to keep warm.

It worked. Justine said, "Yeah, I served pretty well today. ... It worked because after [the injury time-out] I served so well and a lot of aces, a lot of good first serves, a lot of winners."

Henin-Hardenne kept in mind Pierce's reputation as a mighty hitter. "I had to be aggressive because, if you let her [have] a little bit of time, then she can hit a lot of winners."

Pierce has a lot of ground to cover. Too bad she couldn't do it today. Ranked in the Top 20 for nine straight years, she plummeted to 52 and then 130 (injury rank of 18) in 2002 and 2001, respectively. This year has been promising, getting to the quarterfinals today and in Hyderabad. What will this reoccurring injury mean to her comeback?

"First of all, I'll get treatment on it today and just take it from there. ... Hopefully, I can get a late start in Amelia Island and I'll be okay in a couple of days," she said. She plans to play in Berlin, Rome and at Roland Garros later this spring.

But, she said realized the injury will not just go away. "I had it last week; it went away. It came back and now I hurt more. So, I want to be smart about it, not have something that lingers the whole season or a longer time than it really needs to."

Pierce said she realized she didn't play in the sledgehammer form that has characterized her game. She said the injury "affects totally the way I hit the ball. I had to compensate and hit the ball differently out there afterward. I strained my left [thigh] a little bit, too. So I had them both taped. Your body starts compensating and you hurt other areas."

Henin-Hardenne, currently No. 4, realized that Pierce was hampered at not playing as well as she did earlier this week when she beat Amanda Coetzer, Anastastia Myskina and Nicole Pratt. But, Justine couldn't compare her performance to the Pierce who tormented players in the 90s. Today was the first time they played.

Scotso
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Injury after injury.

AjdeNate!
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Good article and photos.
Poor Mary, get well soon!!

Asmus
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the article! Hopefully this injury isn't serious! :sad: :(

You really never know though. In 2000, Mary pulled out of Stanford, and I thought it was just because she wanted to play the same schedule as her doubles partner Martina Hingis. However, it ended up being the injury that has never allowed her return to her old form. :sad:

Mary still needs to lose a lot of weight though, judging by those pics...

CanadianBoy21
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:37 AM
poor mary...
these injuries are a bitch.
these injuries make her look like a female sumo wrestler, not a tennis player...sorrry about that pierce fans, but it's sad that hse should be up to three challenging the sisters...she packs a mena punch with those groundies, and has an attitude which took her to slam titles. I remember she beat Serena once REALLY REALLY badly, like 6-2 6-1 or something. I was impressed, eventhough that was awhile ago, mary can get her form back if these injuries stop bugging her

PatM04
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Get well soon Mary!:)

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:57 AM
I think we need long break not like last year only 1.5 month which is not enough!

jmp
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Thanks for posting the article. It's sad that these injuries continue to plague Mary. I hope she recovers soon.

Berlin_Calling
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Oh Mary :sad:. And Matt, just resting isnt gonna help Mary. She has rested enough these past couple years. She needs to get into good shape, and as she said herself, doing the correct fitness exercises will prevent her from any more injuries.

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:11 AM
I know but for someone else :p

Cariaoke
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Mary... :sad: Mary and Monica have to be kindred injury spirits because this is ridiculous! Can either one of them catch a break? geez... :sad: Get well soon!

Mark Spruce
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:18 AM
thanks for the article.

Yeah I wish Mary and monica would get a break from all these injuries. They don't deserve this crappy luck.

Mark

auntie janie
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:23 AM
I hope you get better soon, Mary! :)

Meanwhile, I LOVE the pic of Justine, it demostrates the way she plays so beautifully close to the ground. :hearts:

supercmfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:27 AM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20030411/all/l795054.jpg

mary :sad:

allez allez !!!

THE NET
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:01 AM
OMG! She is overweighted! :sad:

She needs to do a lot of things. Poor Mary! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:45 AM
This is rather frustrating and sad for me. Mary used to not only be one of the fittest players on tour but feared on court. And despite some good results, I cannot believe how she has let her training slip.

But her attitude seems good so I can't totally fault her. I just hope she can have one last big hurrah before her career winds down.

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:55 AM
If she doesn't have another "hurrah", I guess FO 2002 will have to do.

I think part of what has contributed to Mary's lack of fitness is her injuries. remember, not have they left her unable to play, but on occasion, unable to work out how she would like.

selesrules
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:24 AM
My 3 fav players all have injuries (Monica, Anna, Mary). :sad:

Get well soon Mary!