Q2 Anastassia Rodionova (RUS) L 4-6 6-3 6-7(3
Q2 Arantxa Parra (ESP) L 3-6 4-6
Q2 Sunitha Rao (USA) L 2-6 6-4 3-6
R16 Emmanuelle Gagliardi (SUI) L 2-6 6-1 6-7(5

she sounds more like a Dementieva than even a Dokic right now
so hold your horses

SerenaSlam
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:46 PM
or Megan Shuangessy. This is what they do on this board. I call them Hypes. She is doing well, but its not like she is thrashing her opponents. Megann and Dani both were no where near their games. Ashely yes is doing well, but has needed a lot of help. And I mean a lot.

I guess there is where yall start hatin on me again :rolleyes:

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I think its b/c of that , that many people are in shock ....I am anyway. Where is the harm in getting excited about an up and coming player.

As far as TOP 10 , don't we already have 25 TOP 10 players right now .... :-)

smmash90
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Serenaslam- you are talking out of your arse!!!!!

Ashley has beaten Bovina, Meghan and Dani for the loss of 11 games. There is no way Serena could do that!! I don't think Ashley has really needed that much help. 3 quality wins is no coincidence.

I just cant wait until she kicks Serena's fat butt in the final. (Unless Jelena does it tonight ) :lick: :lick: :lick:

CJ07
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:52 PM
i agree with SerenaSlam (us Williams fans gotta stick together)

Bovina had 27 UE, in a match that short, thats alot (1.125 UE Avg per game vs. .08 UE per game isnt going to cut it...and for comparision purposes against Rubin at the Us Open Venus had 1.4 UE Avg per game)

Unless she beats Justine by the same scoreline, heck, even if she does, I'm still putting my money on the russians whove had CONSISTENT results
even though Zvonareva lost to Davenport, she GOT TO DAVENPORT and shes been doing that lately
also, Safina is almost 2 years Ashleys junior, and even with this tournament, shes STILL ranked higher

kiwifan
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:53 PM
I think its b/c of that , that many people are in shock ....I am anyway. As far as TOP 10 , don't we already have 25 TOP 10 players right now .... :-)
:cool: :p :cool:

But seriously, I welcome with all my heart every good looking young American girl who is good enough to beat everyone:angel: :angel: :angel: ...

...well other than the Sisters, in Grand Slam events. :p

"Young Girl" - Jay & The Americans

King Lindsay
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:55 PM
It's not like she's been thrashing her opponents? It's not like she has been thrashing her opponents? Are you on drugs? she beat Bovina, Shaughnessy and Hantuchova by scores of 6-2 6-2, 6-2 6-2, and 6-2 6-1 respectively. if that's not thrashing, what is?

selesfan
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Q2 Anastassia Rodionova (RUS) L 4-6 6-3 6-7(3
Q2 Arantxa Parra (ESP) L 3-6 4-6
Q2 Sunitha Rao (USA) L 2-6 6-4 3-6
R16 Emmanuelle Gagliardi (SUI) L 2-6 6-1 6-7(5

she sounds more like a Dementieva than even a Dokic right now
so hold your horses

:rolleyes: What is your problem with her? You had her not winning any matches after she beat Bovina and she proved you wrong twice. She is playing a good tournament, lets give her some credit.

CJ07
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:58 PM
my point is this is all coming out of nowhere

Most champions (keyword most) make progress STEADILY it doesnt just "happen". And for the most part, with those that do "happen" they dissapear after that. Clarisa Fernandez anyone?

harloo
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Oh don't worry I'm not excited at all. LOL. I feel like this is a continual cycle on the WTA Tour. A player has a great week beating top players back to back in a tournament. It's the nature of the game, IMO. We saw Patty, Chanda, Daniela, and a few others have this sudden emergence however it still seems like the same 4 or 5 are winning the big titles(slams, tier I's).

Then all of the sudden a group of bandwagoners are created, but when the thrill is gone this group returns back to their original favorites. LOL

tennischick
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:01 AM
... Are you on drugs?...
here's hoping that Ashley isn't... :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

:wavey:

selesfan
my point is this is all coming out of nowhere

Most champions (keyword most) make progress STEADILY it doesnt just "happen". And for the most part, with those that do "happen" they dissapear after that. Clarisa Fernandez anyone?

She had some quality wins and has some talent, I don't get your point. We are entitled to be happy for her and she is playing well and moved 50 spots, what is wrong with that. don't be such a downer.

Cybelle Darkholme
There's nothing wrong by getting hyped up over someone doing well. If ashley were your sister wouldn't you be excited and happy? What is the big deal? She could lose every match for the rest of her life from now on but it doesn't take away her three big wins she just scored. Stop trying to shoot down people's happiness.

OH and if ashley does make it to the final and meets serena I'm sure that serena and her butt will handle ashley and her butt just fine.

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Oh don't worry I'm not excited at all. LOL. I feel like this is a continual cycle on the WTA Tour. A player has a great week beating top players back to back in a tournament. It's the nature of the game, IMO. We saw Patty, Chanda, Daniela, and a few others have this sudden emergence however it still seems like the same 4 or 5 are winning the big titles(slams, tier I's).

Then all of the sudden a group of bandwagoners are created, but when the thrill is gone this group returns back to their original favorites. LOL
I'm certainly not a bandwagon jumper, I have liked her since she was so badly treated on the old Sanex board for wearing a skimpy outfit. I heard all the negative comments about how she would never make anything of herself and I became a fan and couldn't wait for the day she could prove all those who dissed her wrong. Go Ashley. :bounce:

CanadianBoy21
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Serena started quick, very quick.
but to say that Ashley will even crack the top 15 ever as of right now is not fair to all the OTHER Kournikovas out there... so to bring Anna in here, but all these, and ALL these, girls have had couple good tournies, but then they just fade...
I can name at least 20 of the top of my head.
:rolleyes:...but all credit to Ashley, she definitely is fighting to win this week!

King Lindsay
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:07 AM
well, Harkleroad fans, consider the source. Mmcdonald and SerenaSlam. are there two less knowledgable posters on this message board? I know, that says a lot, but I really don't think so.

harloo
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:11 AM
I'm certainly not a bandwagon jumper, I have liked her since she was so badly treated on the old Sanex board for wearing a skimpy outfit. I heard all the negative comments about how she would never make anything of herself and I became a fan and couldn't wait for the day she could prove all those who dissed her wrong. Go Ashley. :bounce:

That's great selesfan. I'm not talking about actual ashley fans. I'm just talking about posters who jump ship at every opportunity. :lick: :D

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:12 AM
well, Harkleroad fans, consider the source. Mmcdonald and SerenaSlam. are there two less knowledgable posters on this message board? I know, that says a lot, but I really don't think so.

True! I shouldn't waste my breath. ;)

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:13 AM
That's great selesfan. I'm not talking about actual ashley fans. I'm just talking about posters who jump ship at every opportunity. :lick: :D

To be honest with you, with the exception of the Williams sisters, Lindsay and Monica. I usually jump ship when they are on top. ;) I used to be a Hingis fan until she became #1. ;)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Bloody hell... I haven't been paying attention to this tournament what with exams fluttering around my head, and wow - good for Ashley! Unfreakingbelievable results for her! I'm not a fan, but I'll give credit where it is due - awesome week for her! Now we'll wait and see how she does in her next match, and if she can build off of this success :)

SerenaSlam
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Serenaslam- you are talking out of your arse!!!!!

Ashley has beaten Bovina, Meghan and Dani for the loss of 11 games. There is no way Serena could do that!! I don't think Ashley has really needed that much help. 3 quality wins is no coincidence.

I just cant wait until she kicks Serena's fat butt in the final. (Unless Jelena does it tonight ) :lick: :lick: :lick:
i think you need to be corrected. Last time Serena played all three of them (well has never faced Bovina) Seren has lost 8 games total. 6-2 6-2 against Dani and Megann.

Serena on her game with them all three playing well could beat all three loosing only around 11 games :)

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:40 AM
i think you need to be corrected. Last time Serena played all three of them (well has never faced Bovina) Seren has lost 8 games total. 6-2 6-2 against Dani and Megann.

Serena on her game with them all three playing well could beat all three loosing only around 11 games :)

Nobody is taking anything away from Serena by cheering for Ashley's wins. Who said she was better than Serena. :rolleyes: I'm a Serena fan also and I think you are nuts if you think we were comparing Ashley to Serena.

sartrista7
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:50 AM

Different situation. Patty, Chanda and Maggie are all very much veterans; everyone knew they had the talent to trouble the top names, but they never seemed to be able to string all those wins back-to-back to take a top title. I don't think anyone really expected any of them to become week-in week-out threats (and good for Chanda that she's done so). Daniela was already ranked in the top 30 by Indian Wells 02, and there was already some buzz about her; IW confirmed it (though she's definitely not as good as the buzz suggested). Here, though, you've got someone who's received very little attention for her RESULTS, not ranked in the top 100 yet, thrashing three top 20 players - one of whom beat Venus Williams two weeks ago - out of the blue. I mean... no other girl her age is doing this. Don't think anyone's saying she'll even be top 20 herself, but there are very good reasons to pay attention now.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Nobody is taking anything away from Serena by cheering for Ashley's wins. Who said she was better than Serena. :rolleyes: I'm a Serena fan also and I think you are nuts if you think we were comparing Ashley to Serena.

Thank you ....thats exactly what I was thinking

leslie
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Pam and Maryjo is going to start hyping Ashley to be the next one to stop the all Williams final, just like they did with kim, jen, davenport, dani, etc.I am sure you guy remember the hype about dani, now no one talks about her. Everyone swore she was going to be the next challenger to the Williams when she took Venus to 3 sets in the AO '02 I think it was. Speaking of Dani, I really believe she has anorexia I can't believe her people are not doing anything about it. They need to keep her of the tennis court and get some medical help for her before it is to late.

Congrats to Ashley, I just inquired about her a couple of weeks ago. I wish they had televised her match.

mishar
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:14 AM
I am a Williams fan and I don't see why Ashley is a threat to the Williams. Who's touting her as a future #1 or a rival to Serena? She's just having a great week.
But the original post is so stupid. It's so stupid to put down Ashley by way of Vera Z. first of all, she hasn't been so consistent. She's lost twice to Cho this year, also to Molik, and Chladkova. She has never reached the semis of a Tier I like Ashley has; she has never beaten a top 10 player (like Ashley has). More importantly, Vera is a year older than Ashley, and one year ago, VERA HAD NEVER WON A WTA MAIN DRAW MATCH.
Maybe Vera is/will be a better player than Ashley, but the fact that she's had a great year doesn't mean Ashley's week is not an incredible accomplishment which shows that she can play very high-level tennis.

vaiva
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:22 AM
*cought* mishar, Vera was not mentioned in the original post

vaiva
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:23 AM
unless you think Dementieva or Dokic is Vera :p

sartrista7
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:26 AM
unless you think Dementieva or Dokic is Vera :p

for Vera's sake, I hope not ;)

mishar
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Unless she beats Justine by the same scoreline, heck, even if she does, I'm still putting my money on the russians whove had CONSISTENT results
even though Zvonareva lost to Davenport, she GOT TO DAVENPORT and shes been doing that lately
also, Safina is almost 2 years Ashleys junior, and even with this tournament, shes STILL ranked higher

Sorry Vaiva this was the post I was responding to. And the Russian girls are great, but there's no reason to bash Ashley. This tournament doesn't mean she's going to be top 10, but it's pretty darn impressive

1jackson2001
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Gotta say it again...Ashley's been amazing! :D

caseyl45
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Ashley Harkleroad has had a great week, no ifs, ands or buts about it. I don't care how many unforced errors your opponent makes, it's still your responsibility to take advantage of it, and so far, she's been able to do that.
In a way, her doing well doesn't really surprise me that much. I don't know much about her previous results, but I do know that she was the runner-up at the Roland Garros junior tournament last year, so she's obviously comfortable on the surface. Would I have picked her to beat three top twenty players? Of course not, but still she deserves credit for getting this far. No other player still in the draw has been able to do what she's done.
Does that mean I thinks she's the next superstar on the tour? No, but she is playing well right now, and once again, she deserves a lot of credit for that. Starting with the semis, though, she's going to be coming up against a slightly different level of competition. It will be interesting to see how she responds.

switz
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:42 AM
what an unfortunate thread. i have no feelings towards ashley either way, except for the fact that i can't believe people were saying she is next anna kourniova (look wise). i can't stand the way serenaslam loves to try and make herself a victim when she puts down other players who are having good performances, then uses some throw away cliched line like "i'm just telling it like it is" - you're not! you're telling it the way you think it is as a person who likes to criticise anyone who could possibly take the slightest bit of attention away from the williams sisters. i don't see all the threads about ashley as the next no1 and besides one stupid poster at the start of this thread i can't see many people believing ashley has much of a chance against serena. what we can say is that not many players ranked outside the top 100 win matches in tier 1 tournaments in the manner she has. yes, her opponents probably have not played well, but except for loit they had won matches in this tournament so they obviously weren't just giving the matches away. i really don't remember many people coming out and going on about how we shouldn't hype serena when she made a big run at the adidas international when she first started playing, and i don't think they should have. but i mean just give her break, because you have been on her back all week saying how she is no good and yet she has kept moving on, and you have continued to come up with lame arguments about how she is not good because she lost matches earlier in the year. she is young, and inexperienced, and we don't know what she is going to do in the future, but what i can say is that bad players do not make the semis of tier 1 tournaments very often, so why don't you just leave your "HATING" (as you love to say) until there actually is a need foor it. which of course will be never.

harloo
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Different situation. Patty, Chanda and Maggie are all very much veterans; everyone knew they had the talent to trouble the top names, but they never seemed to be able to string all those wins back-to-back to take a top title. I don't think anyone really expected any of them to become week-in week-out threats (and good for Chanda that she's done so). Daniela was already ranked in the top 30 by Indian Wells 02, and there was already some buzz about her; IW confirmed it (though she's definitely not as good as the buzz suggested). Here, though, you've got someone who's received very little attention for her RESULTS, not ranked in the top 100 yet, thrashing three top 20 players - one of whom beat Venus Williams two weeks ago - out of the blue. I mean... no other girl her age is doing this. Don't think anyone's saying she'll even be top 20 herself, but there are very good reasons to pay attention now.

Actually, I don't think it's too much of a difference. Certainly, their will be some players on the WTA who will beat top players back 2 back during a particular week. You could say that Patty, and Chanda were veterans but their wins were still unexpected. Chanda did follow up her win over Serena with a win over Davenport in LA.

IMO, the Ashley buzz was already in full flight after her U.S. Open debut against Melien Tu. Ashley was being call the "American Anna" by the press and those in the tennis community. I think it's great that she has did well in this tournament, because she will draw little 13 year old boys(her main fan base) to tennis just like Anna. But the good thing is that she is starting to perform well and get results.

Futhermore, this could be another one of those weeks where someone has had success, but then becomes less consistent thereafter. I think we have seen this enough to know, but this also could be the beginning of something great for Ashley. Time will only tell, and good luck to her. :D :D

GoGoMaggie
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:29 AM
harloo are you angry just because Ashley is so much better looking than Serena?? People may like Ashley because of her looks and I don't see anything wrong with that. Sorry to say.. Serena isn't good looking enough to draw nearly as much attention by her looks... oops.

J_Migoe
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:46 AM
gogomaggie..typical shitfaced white bitch. serena is far prettier than ashley...its just that this is a white media scenario!

mishar
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:53 AM
You really are obnoxious, gogoMaggie. I personally think Serena is beautiful, and judging from the endorsements and popularity she has, so does the media and most of the United States at least.

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Serena is definitely beautiful, some people are just COLOR blind. ;)

switz
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:46 AM
it seems that it has almost become impossible for threads of this nature not to denegrade too these moronic levels where the argument goes from being over a player's ability to a player's appearance. this is because there is this never ending cycle where non-williams fans get excited that a new prospect is developing and cheer for her (and at times make stupid comments like how she is going to whoop serena's arse etc). then the williams fans get pissed off and attempt to show that the girl has no game. then the debate starts, but very little is resolved because after about one constructive post somebody makes a completely irrelevant catty comment and the thread's purpose becomes what we have now. what the fuck does it matter who is better looking? who really supports a player passionately because of what they look like? (i don't mean race here because obviously that appears to have a very big influence) i mean i almost always want anna to win her matches because i think she is unbelievably hot and i love to watch her on court in those skimpy outfits, but ultimately i don't really care if she loses, whereas if patty loses i get really pissed off. i personally don't think either of them (serena and ashley) are really good looking, but it is all just a matter of taste. serena i feel has developed into a beautiful person over the years and i think that is far more important that the fact that she has a big arse. plus she's an amazing tennis player. i don't know anything about ashley's personality, but i mean actually why does any of this matter? stop posting threads with the aim of contuining this horrible cycle, because it just isn't necessary. sererna's amazing, ashley is having an amazing week, can't we just leave it at that?

BK4ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Gosh I see the haters are in full flight. Please leave Ash alone..she does not subscribe to any hype that maybe surrounding her. She is all about tennis.

Ashley is the type of player who needs matches to find her rhythm...she's had some tough losses and everything just clicked for her in this tournament.

There are some sick people on this board if we see negativity in someone's hard work paying off...

BTW...for all of you saying that Bovina, Meg and Dani didnt play great...go read the articles about those matches...Ashley didnt let them play their game...she was aggressive in all of those matches...she earned those wins. Every article talked about her tactics and tenacity being major factors in her wins...STOP FUCKING HATING!

And for all you posters who obviously know shit about the game..stop comparing young players...everyone develops at a different rate...Ashley has had a great win and she deserves praise...cant we just leave it at that...

BK4ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:05 AM
or Megan Shuangessy. This is what they do on this board. I call them Hypes. She is doing well, but its not like she is thrashing her opponents. Megann and Dani both were no where near their games. Ashely yes is doing well, but has needed a lot of help. And I mean a lot.

I guess there is where yall start hatin on me again :rolleyes:

What do you know about how much help she needed...were you at her match or did you even bother to read some of the match reports.

No one needs to start hating on you...you obviously do a lot of it yourself with your insecurity :rolleyes:

BTW...a scoreline of 6-2, 6-1 of a top ten player is a thrashing :p

GoGoMaggie
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:07 AM
it seems that it has almost become impossible for threads of this nature not to denegrade too these moronic levels where the argument goes from being over a player's ability to a player's appearance. this is because there is this never ending cycle where non-williams fans get excited that a new prospect is developing and cheer for her (and at times make stupid comments like how she is going to whoop serena's arse etc). then the williams fans get pissed off and attempt to show that the girl has no game. then the debate starts, but very little is resolved because after about one constructive post somebody makes a completely irrelevant catty comment and the thread's purpose becomes what we have now. what the fuck does it matter who is better looking? who really supports a player passionately because of what they look like? (i don't mean race here because obviously that appears to have a very big influence) i mean i almost always want anna to win her matches because i think she is unbelievably hot and i love to watch her on court in those skimpy outfits, but ultimately i don't really care if she loses, whereas if patty loses i get really pissed off. i personally don't think either of them (serena and ashley) are really good looking, but it is all just a matter of taste. serena i feel has developed into a beautiful person over the years and i think that is far more important that the fact that she has a big arse. plus she's an amazing tennis player. i don't know anything about ashley's personality, but i mean actually why does any of this matter? stop posting threads with the aim of contuining this horrible cycle, because it just isn't necessary. sererna's amazing, ashley is having an amazing week, can't we just leave it at that?

hehe.. sorry about making a diversion which clearly worked well!!
I just wanted to piss some die-hard willams fans as I'm sick and tired of their inability to accept up and coming players like Ashley who steal attention from the sisters which isn't actually true.
And I'm not color blind cuz I'm not eihter white or black..

kournikovafan13
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Serenaslam, I recommend you vacate this thread in order to avoid embarrassing yourself further

GoGoMaggie
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Serenaslam, I recommend you vacate this thread in order to avoid embarrassing yourself further

Oh well I'm sure he will never show up in this thread again as he always diappears when he's been proved wrong. I bet he's weeping in his mummy's arms. Poor boy...

His self-esteem and reputation on the board is about to hit the bottom.

switz
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:16 AM
hehe.. sorry about making a diversion which clearly worked well!!
I just wanted to piss some die-hard willams fans as I'm sick and tired of their inability to accept up and coming players like Ashley who steal attention from the sisters which isn't actually true.
And I'm not color blind cuz I'm not eihter white or black..

yeah i going to make that comment because i know you're japanese but then selesfan gave my post a positive rep so i forgot about it. i wasn't directing my comments specifically at you, but more at the general trend that has developed on this board :)

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Oh well I'm sure he will never show up in this thread again as he always diappears when he's been proved wrong. I bet he's weeping in his mummy's arms. Poor boy...

His self-esteem and reputation on the board is about to hit the bottom.

I understand where you are coming from but why insult Venus and Serena because of a few obnoxious fans. Its like if a belgian poster is being obnoxious (not that I've ever come a cross an obnoxious belgian poster ;) ) I decide I am going to root for whoever plays Kim and Justine and I am also going to make sure everyone know how I think they are ugly beasts. Of course, this is not serious as both the players and their fans are great people,

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Colour blind? Surely the exact opposite was intended?? A person who is colour blind in the requisite sense is one who looks at everyone objectively, without being affected by their race/skin colour. :confused:

As far as the thread topic goes, yes it is too early to go nuts over Ashley. Much as I'm pissed off about her thrashing Dani like this, I hope her performance here is not a fluke, because it would add a new source of excitement to the tour.

GoGoMaggie
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:32 AM
I understand where you are coming from but why insult Venus and Serena because of a few obnoxious fans. Its like if a belgian poster is being obnoxious (not that I've ever come a cross an obnoxious belgian poster ;) ) I decide I am going to root for whoever plays Kim and Justine and I am also going to make sure everyone know how I think they are ugly beasts. Of course, this is not serious as both the players and their fans are great people,

First off, let me apologize to you for calling you a bitch in some other thread. I didn't mean what I meant.... I was a bit screwed up then.

Secondly, I know it's wrong to insult the sisters just because of a handful of hateful Willams fans. But I'm way too immature to control myself. So I can't help doing what I do.. So you may as well not take my posts seriously.

Lastly, I don't like yet other Willams fans who dare to support those stupid morons just because they share the same favorites.

selesfan
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:38 AM
First off, let me apologize to you for calling you a bitch in some other thread. I didn't mean what I meant.... I was a bit screwed up then.

Secondly, I know it's wrong to insult the sisters just because of a handful of hateful Willams fans. But I'm way too immature to control myself. So I can't help doing what I do.. So you may as well not take my posts seriously.

Lastly, I don't like yet other Willams fans who dare to support those stupid morons just because they share the same favorites.

No problem. My problem is I like too many players and I try not to let their fans sway me to hate the players. There are a few fans in each fan base that I find a little over the top, even some Seles fans ;) but I try to ignore them. I know its hard but I think I am a lot older than you, so I'm sorry if I was too harsh. :)

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:12 AM
I see all the baboons and buffoons decided to come play in this friggen thread sheesh.

But what is really, really amazing about many of the moronic comments here is that everyone is taking what the other says out of context. Ok I am guilty too in threads, but didy some of you people really read what the other had to say?

I need more wine..........

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:37 AM
lol, jakeev, maybe you should be more specific. ;)

kodeRED
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:45 AM
excuse me but ash...(even tho i like her) would b lucky to b a Dementieva... she is going to be a champion (slam) one day soon!!!

Chance
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:02 PM
well I thought Ashely was another hyped player, all I read about her was her looks nothing about her tennis .. there weren't any results to back the hype. However her results this week have been quite impressive, I can't remember the last time someone ranked 100 who took down 3 top 20 players. Congratulations Ashely on your impressive run.

However I want a Serena and Justine final..so I would like ashley's run to end tomorrow ;)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:04 PM
bla bla bla...Some posters simply don't have lives...

Well done, Ashley. I'm not a fan...but I'm impressed with this week's performance :)

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:44 PM
6-2 6-1 ISNT A THRASHING WHEN YOUR OPPONENT MAKES FOURTY ONE UNFROCED ERRORS!!!!

This is what I mean, I mean for goodness sakes, I wouldve beaten Hantuchova 6-2 6-1 with her playing like that.

You cannot simply go by scorelines to judge these players.

Bovina made 27
I'm Sure Shaughnessy made several
and Hantuchova made 41 (which is MORE than what Venus made against Rubin (6-2 4-6 7-5) at the Open, MORE than what Venus made against Hingis 01 Aussie (6-1 6-1) and More Avg. Per Game from the last 3 All-Williams Finals! (7-6 6-3, 6-4 6-3, 7-6 3-6 6-4 to put in perspective)

I'm NOT hating on Ashley, but untill she BEATS an opponent of Hantuchova's calibur, not just simply play well while they self destruct, then I'm not going to consider her more than a Dementieva at this point

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM
OK I think we have a misunderstanding

I think its just wonderfull that Ashleys doing well, I'm in no way trying to put her down. Please dont misunderstand. Also, if she is as good as the results, then that means the USTA is doing something right.

Dont misunderstand. Your missing the point. All I'm saying is, people are starting to claim Ashley as the next GWH simply because of one tournament. THATS what I'm refering to. I think its great for someone that young to beat 3 good players, but I think its incorrect, and unfair to them, to start labeling them anything but a future good player. Its wonderfull that shes jumping a lot of spots, and its great this gives her confidence, but dont go jumping on the bandwagon that shes going to be a future champion because of 3 wins.

And Serena didnt start real quick, her first tournament she lost 1-6 1-6. While she picked it up the next year, Harkleroad is NO Williams. Like I said, shes a Dementieva right now in my mind. But its too early to say even that.

Again, I think its great that Ashley is doing well, Go USA, but just dont blow it all out of proportion.

Gotta save my rep here :)

mishar
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:17 PM
The only one who I see blowing it out of proportion is you, mcdonald. No one else is touting Harkleroad as the "GWH" or whatever -- ESPN isn't even showing her frigging matches.
Ashley will be lucky to have a career as good as Dementieva and Dokic -- maybe it will be better, maybe worse. We really have no way of knowing. And how can you say anything about her matches this week without having seen them? When a player is incredibly fast and consistent, their opponent often makes a lot of unforced errors trying to put the ball away. (That's what happens against Agassi and Hewitt)
I'm not saying Ashley played great, cause I haven't seen them either, but it sure sounds like she's in the zone this week.
Also Serena didn't start quick? What? In her second tournament ever, she beat Seles and Pierce and reached the final -- she was only 16!!

ptkten
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:49 PM
I know...I don't see anyone saying Ashley is anywhere remotely close to Serena, Venus, or Monica. Or saying that she will win grand slams or be the best ever. So some people need to stop being so defensive, if someone has good wins, people are going to be surprised, happy, and wonder how high she is going to go. No one is realistically saying she is better than the Williams sisters or saying she's the GWH.

switz
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:26 PM
6-2 6-1 ISNT A THRASHING WHEN YOUR OPPONENT MAKES FOURTY ONE UNFROCED ERRORS!!!!

This is what I mean, I mean for goodness sakes, I wouldve beaten Hantuchova 6-2 6-1 with her playing like that.

i really don't think you understand how tennis works. you say you can't judge by scorelines, but then you claim that unforced errors makes everything clear. i am sure daniela did not play well, but obviously she felt that she needed to go for more because ashely plays a game where she gets a lot back and does not make the unforced errors. if daniela came out against you do you think she would adopt the same game plan? she wouldn't. she would know that she probably only has to rally with you and you would probably either make the error or she would have an easy put away. it is just like martina hingis for example. there were a ton of matches she played throughout her career where she won convincly despite hitting hardly any winners and where opponents made errors that would exceed or top those such as bovina's and even hantuchova's. despite this nobody started saying that it was not hingis winning but the other players losing, because everyone knows that to beat martina hingis you have to try to out-hit her 99% of the time. now i am not saying that ashley is at hingis level, so don't even try to bring that up, but i think that when you have three top twenty players with the same sought of stats against ashely, it indicates these players made the assessment that over powering ashley was the way to win. elite players (except maybe patty) don't make that many unforced errors very often unless their opponent is forcing to do so, and i think it is more than a mere coincidence that ashley's last three opponents have done so.

i know that you weren't trying to hate ashley really, but your whole argument is based on a very narrow statistic from which you are drawing wide ranging conclusions about how ashley and every other opponent she has beaten has played.

Monica_Rules
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:29 PM
everyone starts somewhere

BK4ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:25 PM
mmc knows shit about tennis...

excellent post switz...