PDA

View Full Version : I think Berlin would be a better choice as capital of the EU

Josh
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:30 PM
With its history of division, its central location in the EU with the accession of the new member states and the many construction projects in the city, I believe Berlin would be perfect. Brussels is really too small and will lose its central location when the new Eastern members join the Union in 2004.

Any Berliners (or others) with some thoughts?

Sam L
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Well about 3 years ago I read that Berlin and Germany would eventually become the centre (physically and politically) of EU. Because of its position, economy and population. I think it makes sense and can only be a good thing.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:31 AM
You guys would be crazy to put it in a major city in one of the major countries. The symbolism is all wrong; it would generate a huge backlash from the other major countries.

vaiva
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:40 AM
And minor countries as well :)

Economy of Germany, Sam L? You meant the ailing one?

kiwifan
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:41 AM
You guys would be crazy to put it in a major city in one of the major countries. The symbolism is all wrong; it would generate a huge backlash from the other major countries.

You're all Euros now, right?

It seems like a logical move to me.

Don't you trust the Germans?
:p :devil: :p :devil: :p

"Reunited" - Peaches & Herb

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:43 AM
We are? You mean Australia is joining! :eek:

Seriously, it would be like making Melbourne or Sydney the capital here, instead of Canberra. The people of the other major city would probably revolt. :D

vaiva
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:47 AM
We are? You mean Australia is joining! :eek:

You obviously are not reading the papers ;)

Althought it won't be with the first wave of expansion :p

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:50 AM
lol @vaiva

Central
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I think it should be Zurich or Geneva :p

G-Ha
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Interesting idea, but as others have mentioned, I don't think many other countries would like the idea of Berlin as the capital. And I don't think it would just be the "major" countries like France that would protest (although they would). The smaller countries would probably look to that as further proof that they are going to be dominated by the larger countries. I think that's why the capital is currently in a "safer" place like Belgium.

Also, vaiva, Germany's economy is currently ailing (as are the economies of many other countries in the region, not to mention Japan and other nations) but Germany is still the economic powerhouse of Europe. In fact, last I checked Germany had the world's 3rd largest economy and even outperformed the US and Japan in certain areas.

GoDominique
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Berlin is bankrupt. :p

per4ever
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:05 AM
brussels is neutral...they'll never change to berlin

gentenaire
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Like Joui said and like I said in the Eurotard thread, it's better to have a smaller city as capital. Canberra, Ottawa, Washington, not Sydney or Melbourne, Toronto, NY.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:13 AM
something like Luxembourg would do
then no one would get mad as everyone would be content ;)

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:24 AM
I don't think it may happen, it'd be too expensive, furthermore I can't speak much German, so I prefer it stays in Brussels :p

matthias
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:36 AM
i think Brussel is good

each country can host a capitol

Germany = Frankfort upon Main ---> ECB
France = Strasbourg ---> european Parlament
Belgium = Brussels ---> Capitol

i think this is fine

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM
luckily countires as GB, Italy,or Spain (cities as London, Rome/Milan, or Madrid) don't complaint about not having any institution there :)

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Well the reason why they chose Brussels is because it lies on the border between the Germanic and the Roman cultures (Brussels is Dutch and French speaking). Every European "capital" lies on that border : Luxemburg (European justice), Strasbourg (European parliament) except for the European bank which is located in Frankfurt which is the economical centre of mainland Europe.

In 2004 the Slavic culture will also become part of Europe so moving the capital to Berlin would make it more central. Also after the wall fell, they've started big construction projects in the city and there's still room to build infrastructure for the European institutions.

I don't think you can compare Brussels to Canberra, Washington or Ottawa since those cities are relatively new and were actually conceived to play the role of capital. Brussels is a medieval city that was not meant to host immense buildings and skyscrapers. Just look at how much they had to demolish to build all these European buildings, and they are still demolishing and constructing everywhere.

On the other hand it's true that Berlin is less neutral than Brussels and Brussels has already build an impressive European infrastructure that would go to waist if they should move the capital.
Furthermore I like how cosmopolitan Brussels has become.

So yeah, Brussels can stay the capital though I still believe Berlin would be a good alternative.

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Another good alternative would be Vienna! lol

;)

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:25 AM
JEJEJJEJE
That's one of the fears Mediterranean countries have, with the enlargement only eastern countries are added, so our interests may be "forgotten" i guess that's another reason why Spain or France will never accept Berlin as new capital.
HOWEVER I read some years ago that Berlin's becoming the cultural capital of Europe, lately young tend to go there more than to London because new trends are born there