PDA

View Full Version : Unbeaten Serena Takes On Dokic In Charleston Tonight

tennisIlove09
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Unbeaten Serena Takes On Dokic In Charleston Tonight

Photo By Susan Mullane By Richard Pagliaro
04/11/2003

Serena Williams is undeniably the most complete player in women's tennis, but there's one thing the top-ranked Williams appears incapable of accomplishing on the tennis court — losing.

Yesterday, the architect of the Serena Slam deconstructed Conchita Martinez's clay court game in a a 6-2 6-2 victory to advance to the Family Circle Cup quarterfinals in Charleston. With the win, Williams raised her record to 17-0 and will meet Jelena Dokic tonight for a spot in the semifinals.

The winner of four consecutive Grand Slam crowns started the season by setting an ambitious — and historic — goal for herself: to complete the 2003 campaign undefeated. Three months have passed and the top-ranked Williams' pursuit of perfection is not only progressing as planned, it appears entirely possible she can complete her quest though Williams herself smiled at the thought after yesterday's victory.

"Can I win every match I play this year? I don't think so, but that's my goal," Serena said with a smile.

The 21-year-old Williams won eight of the 13 tournaments she entered last year and concluded the season with a 56-5 record.

Martina Navratilova registered the best single-season record in the Open Era when she registered an 86-1 record and captured 16 tournament titles in 1983. In 1989, Steffi Graf compiled an 86-2 record and won 14 tournament titles. Graf won 31 consecutive matches to start the 1989 season.

With the exception of the Australian Open semifinals — when Williams trailed Kim Clijsters 2-5 in the final set and fought off a pair of match points before battling back to complete perhaps the greatest comeback of her career by conquering Clijsters 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 to reach the Australian Open final — the woman who has won 28 straight Grand Slam matches hasn't been severely tested this season.

As the gap widens between Williams and the rest of the WTA Tour, she continues to refine her game and develop both her court sense and fashion sense. Yesterday, Williams wore some retro socks with a pompom attached at the heel.

"They're like my little puffs, my pompom puffs," Williams said. "They were really popular back in the 80's. So I kind of brought that whole fashion trend pompom
wearing socks back. I think that it's really cool. Now I see it in the stores all the time."

J_Migoe
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:32 PM
amazing Rena..win 'em all!