PDA

View Full Version : What is the rarest accomplishment that can be done in tennis?

Jakeev
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Reading dawn marie's post about not hitting unforced errors in a match made me wonder what would be considered the rarest thing that can be accomplished in tennis?

Is it what dawn marie talks about? Winning "golden" sets or matches (not losing a point in a set or match)? Winning a Grand Slam as an amatuer in the Open era? Winning a Grand Slam ranked outside the top 100?

Any thoughts?

BigTennisFan
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Reading dawn marie's post about not hitting unforced errors in a match made me wonder what would be considered the rarest thing that can be accomplished in tennis?

Is it what dawn marie talks about? Winning "golden" sets or matches (not losing a point in a set or match)? Winning a Grand Slam as an amatuer in the Open era? Winning a Grand Slam ranked outside the top 100?

Any thoughts?

I would think that winning every point in a match would be the rarest accomplishment. I would think that it would also make for an extremely boring match. The only way that it could be interesting would be if each point was ended after 20 stroke rally. :D :eek:

TennisHack
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:06 PM
In terms of tournaments, I'd say winning the Golden Slam (all 4 Slams and an Olympic gold medal in the same year).

Brian Stewart
Apr 11th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Statistically speaking, it would probably be winning the triple calendar slam; winning the singles, doubles, and mixed at all 4 slams in the same calendar year. This has never been done.

There have been at least 2 golden matches in tournament finals, and presumably many more cases in early rounds.

Only once has a player reached the finals of every slam event held in a calendar year.

And we've had one occurence of a woman ranked outside the top 100 winning a slam.

Shooter
Apr 11th, 2003, 10:59 PM
A Golden Set.

PatM04
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Winning a tournament without loosing a game:)
I don't think it has ever been done.

King Lindsay
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Nor will it ever be.

calabar
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Winning a golden match - against anybody - is a hugh deal. Got to be the greatest achievement.

With all due respect to Graf, a golden slam is no more significant than a regular slam. A gold medal in tennis is nice but in terms of athletic accomplishment, winning a slam event (7 matches against top players) is a bigger deal.

My 2 cents

Rollo
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Pat-the great Suzanne Lenglen of the 1920s won SEVERAL events without losing a game! She was something else. Her father used to lay out hancherchiefs on the court and make her stay out there until she could hit them again and again.

Messenger
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Pat-the great Suzanne Lenglen of the 1920s won SEVERAL events without losing a game! She was something else. Her father used to lay out hancherchiefs on the court and make her stay out there until she could hit them again and again.

I heard she could hit coins too. Brian, who reached all 12 Slam finals? (Though I think we all know who it must've been).

Vincent
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Without losing a point in a year:eek:

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:25 AM
not making a single double fault all year!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:34 AM
hitting a hotdog dropshot ;)

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Great post calabar but I don't totally agree with you. Brushing the Golden Slam aside since it may not happen again in the near future, I think the Olympics are actually a very big deal to many different countries.

Especially for the old Eastern European block nations. I never saw her play the match but I remember reading how Manuela Maleeva was completely ecstatic when she made it to the medal round of the 88 Seoul games.

If anyone remembers her, she was a rather stoic player on court. I think playing for Bulgaria was the one of her career highlights if you were to ask her.

selesrules
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Biggest and rarest accomplishement... Let's see...

How about being stabbed on the tennis court and then coming back 2.5 years later and winning a tier 1 title in the first tournament back losing only 13 games in 5 matches (2.6 games by match). Most players would have lost the first match or would have lost more then 13 games in the first match. Then Monica made the US Open final and won the Australian Open. NOBODY on earth would do that so soon after 2.5 year absence. That was the ultimate comeback and the ultimate accomplishement.

Nacho
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:16 AM
being ranked outside the top 100 and then winning a golden match against Serena Williams ;)

Vincent
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Biggest and rarest accomplishement... Let's see...

How about being stabbed on the tennis court and then coming back 2.5 years later and winning a tier 1 title in the first tournament back losing only 13 games in 5 matches (2.6 games by match). Most players would have lost the first match or would have lost more then 13 games in the first match. Then Monica made the US Open final and won the Australian Open. NOBODY on earth would do that so soon after 2.5 year absence. That was the ultimate comeback and the ultimate accomplishement.
:worship: :worship: :worship:
Perfect accomplishement

E. Blackadder
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:49 AM
100% 1st serve in a entire match

Vincent
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:55 AM
100% 1st serve in a entire match

i won't consider 100% 1 serve as the rarest accomplishment, although this is rare. :cool:

croat123
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:02 PM
goran was ranked 128th when he won wimbledon

calabar
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Great post calabar but I don't totally agree with you. Brushing the Golden Slam aside since it may not happen again in the near future, I think the Olympics are actually a very big deal to many different countries.

Especially for the old Eastern European block nations. I never saw her play the match but I remember reading how Manuela Maleeva was completely ecstatic when she made it to the medal round of the 88 Seoul games.

If anyone remembers her, she was a rather stoic player on court. I think playing for Bulgaria was the one of her career highlights if you were to ask her.

Jakeev,

An Oylmpic gold medal (silver or bronze for that matter) is a very big deal in general. That's because for most sport event at the Olympics, the athletes are the cream of the crop for those events. For tennis however, due in large measure to the qualifying rules imposed by the ITF and other political considerations, Olympics tennis has never really seen the cream of the crop on display the way they would be for a Slam event. And so it is for that reason why In my book at least, a gold medal in tennis in terms of tennis achievement, is not on par with say a wimbledon or any other slam throphy. In fact, I am willing to bet anyone on this board, If you were to poll 100 pro tennis players, male or female, who has NEVER won any major, If you had a choice of winning ONLY ONE of the following, which would you prefer?

a Wimbledon
b US Open
c French Open
d Austrailian Open
e Olympic Gold Medal in Tennis

I am willing to bet that the gold medal option would not be the overwhelming choice. I suspect Wimbledon would. But that's just my 2 cents.

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:56 PM
I'd say
Wimbledon
Olympic Gold
French Open
Us OPen

I really think if You ask Venus Williams what her to greatest titles are, shed say Wimbledon, and the Olympics
it might be only the field of a Tier 1 or 2, but the prestige and pride that goes with it makes up for it

Messenger
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:16 PM
(In true selesrules style) I say the rarest achievement ever would be <insert favourite player's achievement here>. Truly amazing! ;)

Seenus
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Will someone explain why winning the grandslam is a greater achievement than winning four consecutive slams. And is winning the grandslam greater than winning six consecutive slams?

calabar
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Will someone explain why winning the grandslam is a greater achievement than winning four consecutive slams. And is winning the grandslam greater than winning six consecutive slams?

Seenus,

In a word "Tradition".

Jakeev
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Calabar I would easily take your challenge and bet. You have to understand that players from nations with powerful Olympic traditions such as Russia and other former Eastern bloc nations, this is what they spend their athletic life striving for......that Gold medal.

Now perhaps in tennis players it's different, but I am nearly positive that the Olympics for many is in the same prestige as Wimbledon.

TennisHack
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:31 PM
With all due respect to Graf, a golden slam is no more significant than a regular slam. A gold medal in tennis is nice but in terms of athletic accomplishment, winning a slam event (7 matches against top players) is a bigger deal.

The only reason I said winning a Golden Slam is rare is because it only comes around every four years.

Winning the regular Grand Slam is hard enough, but managing to hit upon it -- and win a gold medal in the Olympics -- is pretty damn rare and great.

Brian Stewart
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:09 PM
To answer the question as to who reached the final of every slam held in a calendar year, I'll give a hint: her name begins with "N", and ends with "avratilova".

No double faults in an entire year? I almost made it. I had only 2 one year. And I played over 300 matches. Should I call Newport? :)

Pamela Shriver
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:18 PM
What is the rarest accomplishment that can be done in tennis?

NO competition:

PingPongPam Double fault facing match point down on your last ever appearance at Wimbledon.

billie_jean_king
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Rarest accomplishment?

Is it me not harping on about what I did years ago?

Virginia Wade
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:41 PM
No, its me not mentioning I won Wimbledon in 1977 and wore a pink cardigan and that I'm the last British person to do so...

Did I mention I won Wimbledon in the centenary year?

disposablehero
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:45 PM
An undefeated career of 500 or more matches.

1jackson2001
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:45 PM
In terms of tournaments, I'd say winning the Golden Slam (all 4 Slams and an Olympic gold medal in the same year).

How about not losing a single match in a whole year...winning everything in sight, including the 4 slams and the Olympics. :cool:

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:48 PM
What Venus will do next year :cool:

no i dunno, theres too many things to do
but you have to be realistic about these things also