PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Julia Schruff?

tenn_ace
Apr 11th, 2003, 03:21 PM
She's ranked #235 and that's all I know.

She's having a very good tournament in Estoril defeating such Salerni, Srebotnik, Cervanova and Kleinova...

Do German posters have any info on her?

Jakeev
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Yes I would like to know to. Have never heard of her until I see all of a sudden she is in the semis of her first WTA tournament. Pretty impressive.

bluepastures
Apr 11th, 2003, 10:03 PM
There's a listing of her latest results at http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/sp/schr1199.htm

As you can see they're nothing special, and she hasn't made it past the 1st round of any challenger main draw this year. They certainly don't explain her sudden run of form in Estoril.

Mikey
Apr 11th, 2003, 10:09 PM
The only thing that is relevant is that Estoril is the tournament of her life.

Her best results have been the SF of 3 different $25K challengers, all last year, and that's it. She's also been to a few QF.

But beating the top seed here, who I figured was definitely going to win, and following it up with a win to get to the SF is quite an achievement. Her ranking should shoot up after this :eek: Whether or not she does anything with it, though, is another question entirely.

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:25 PM
this girl wins again!!! (quite convincingly over Gagliardi) 4 and 3

how old is she?

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:25 PM
good luck in the final, girl!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:29 PM
She's 20

its one heck of a tourn..........
once in a blue moon more like

Hurley
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:55 PM
source: http://www.atptennis.com/estoril/news/03wsaturday_1.asp

Serna to Meet Schruff in Final

Defending champion Magui Serna will meet German qualifier Julia Schruff in the final of the Estoril Open after both won their semifinal matches in straight sets.

After the rain subsided at the Estadio Nacional, Serna wasted no time breezing through to her fifth WTA Tour final with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over third seed Virginie Razzano of France in 46 minutes.

In the windy and cool conditions on court Central, Serna adapted her game with much more success to book her spot in her second successive final in Estoril.

"I was expecting a much tougher game today," said Serna. "Virginie didn't play very well so that made it easy for me. But now, every final is the most difficult match. Tomorrow I will be the favorite, but if I'm playing well, I feel I can win."

Meanwhile, Schruff's amazing run at this year's tournament continued with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Switzerland's Emmanuelle Gagliardi.

"I can't believe that I'm in the final," said Schruff. "It's really like a dream. I think I need some days after the tournament to reflect on this. I really don't know how I've done this."

Looking ahead to her first final, Schruff added: "I know Magui's a left-handed Spanish player. She has a good slice and top spin, and I know she's a good player and I'll have to keep on fighting."

Julian
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:05 PM
This was definitely Ashley Harlkelroad and Julia Schruff's dream week. Ashely's dream has ended earlier today but can Julia's continue??

Sorry but Im gonna have to root for Magui on this one :)