PDA

View Full Version : Serena, Davenport cruise into quarters at Charleston tennis

tennisIlove09
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Serena, Davenport cruise into quarters at Charleston tennis

April 10, 2003
CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Ticker) - Serena Williams and fellow American Lindsay Davenport had a tougher time with the cold weather than their respective opponents Thursday.

The top-seeded Williams coasted to a 6-2, 6-2 victory over 15th-seeded Conchita Martinez of Spain and advanced to the quarterfinals of the $1.3 million Family Circle Cup for the second straight year.

The third-seeded Davenport rolled into the last eight with a 6-3, 6-3 win over No. 16 Clarisa Fernandez of Argentina.

ADVERTISEMENT

The world No. 1, Williams increased her season-opening winning streak to 19 matches but was not comfortable in the process.

"I was definitely way colder today," Williams said. "I live in Florida, so it's kind of like, 'Come on.' But I'll be all right, I can win in the cold."

Williams' quarterfinal opponent is Yugoslavia's Jelena Dokic, the sixth seed who rallied past 13th seed Elena Dementieva of Russia, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.

Davenport also never managed to warm up during her first career meeting with Fernandez.

"If you're playing in the low 50s with the wind probably making it a little cooler, it's always tough to get your body going," Davenport said.

The winner of 38 career WTA titles, Davenport next meets Russia's Vera Zvonareva, who posted a 6-4, 6-4 win over Argentina's Paola Suarez.

In a third-round meeting of former champions, 2000 winner Mary Pierce of France held off 1998 titlist and 10th seed Amanda Coetzer of South Africa, 6-3, 1-6, 6-0.

Pierce faces a quarterfinal clash with No. 2 Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium, who battled past No. 14 Nathalie Dechy of France, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2.

The other quarterfinal pits No. 5 Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia against wild card Ashley Harkleroad of the United States.

In the third round, Hantuchova battled past American Jill Craybas, 7-6 (12-10), 6-3. Harkleroad reached her first career WTA quarterfinal with a 6-2, 6-2 upset of No. 11 Meghann Shaughnessy of the United States.

First prize at this Tier I tournament is $189,000.

Updated at Thu, A

vs1
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Wasn't the Davenport-Fernandez scoreline 6-4, 6-4?! :rolleyes:

Jan
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Wasn't the Davenport-Fernandez scoreline 6-4, 6-4?! :rolleyes:

I thought so - thats what I read in more than one place, 6-4, 6-4
:cool: