PDA

View Full Version : Serena says she can go undefeated

GogoGirl
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:18 PM
It would just be fabulous and marvelous if Serena could win every match she plays. But.........there is a young lady in the league named Venus that I hope beats her like a rug next time they play - if they play.

Plus - there are others out there gunning for Serena - so we'll just have to wait and see. If Serena falls like Bagdad(sp?) - I think Lindsay or Justine may win it all in SC.

Congrats to Ashley H. I felt last year that she had potential. I mean - she is skinning 'em isn't she?

Meanwhile........

"WAY TO GO SERENA" "COME ON - LET'S GO" "STAY UNDEFEATED AT LEAST UNTIL THE FO" "YOU CAN DO IT"

Posted on Thu, Apr. 10, 2003

Serena says she can go undefeated
By RON MORRIS
Columnist

CHARLESTON -- SERENA WILLIAMS SAYS she can become the first player on the WTA Tour to go undefeated for a season.
With such a statement, Serena Williams is:
A. Extremely confident
B. Continuing to distance herself from the WTA field
C. Playing mind games with the other players
D. All of the above

Williams brought the subject to light a week ago after beating Jennifer Capriati to win the NASDAQ-100 Open in Key Biscayne, Fla.

“If I play my best,” she said, “I don’t think anyone can beat me.”

She appeared to play her best for most of last season and through three tournament championships before this week’s Family Circle Cup on Daniel Island. By winning the Australian Open in January, Williams now holds all four grand slam titles. She has won 18 straight matches to open this season, including Wednesday’s second-round win over Dally Randriantefy.

“That’s everyone’s hope, to go undefeated,” says no less of an expert on the subject than Williams’ mother, Oracene, who also happens to be one of her coaches. Mom recognizes that for Williams to win every tournament she plays this season would take a whole lot of luck, “in addition to skill and determination.”

But it’s not impossible, according to other players and coaches.

“I don’t think it’s preposterous,” says Harold Solomon, himself once a player on the ATP circuit and now Anna Kournikova’s coach. “It’s an unbelievable feat to think about somebody doing that, especially on all the different surfaces. But if somebody can do it, it obviously is her.”

Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf have come closest to playing a perfect season. Navratilova lost only one of 87 matches in 1983 and two of 80 the following season. Graf was 86-2 in 1989 and 75-2 in 1987.

To a person, the belief on the tour is that the competition is much different than when Navratilova and Graf dominated. Rafael Font de More, a longtime WTA coach who now tutors 19th-ranked Meghann Shaughnessy, says there were between 10 and 12 top-level players during the Navratilova and Graf runs. Today, he says, there are 25-30 players who can knock off a top seed in a given tournament.

“The people who dominated before, they normally had early matches that were not as tough,” says 31-year-old Amanda Coetzer, the 10th-seeded player this weekend, who needed nearly 2½ hours to win her first-round match against an unseeded player in Monday’s opening round. “Now, early on, there always are tough matches, even for the top players. That, I think, is making it more difficult.

“That also wears on you. It makes the year longer.”

Williams can pick and choose the tournaments in which she plays, and that could be a determining factor in how long she stretches her season-opening win streak. To qualify for the seasonlong championship that she won in 1999 and 2002, Williams must compete in a minimum of 17 events. She is likely to play somewhere between 20 and 25 tournaments, including the three remaining Grand Slams.

Total concentration is the key to winning out, Williams says.

“It would take a lot of work mentally,” she says. “You’d have to go into every match and be so focused. Mentally, you have to say, ‘I want to be here and I want to win,’ more than anything.

“Sometimes when I played tournaments last year I said to myself, ‘I want to win, but if I don’t, it’s not the end of the world.’ I think to go undefeated you have to be really, really tough and fight extremely hard. I think that will be tough for me because I always like to do other things.”

Remaining healthy for an entire season probably is a much more realistic goal than going undefeated. Already, she complained of a stomach illness in her first-round match at Key Biscayne.

Avoiding clay courts also would enhance her chances of winning every tournament. And every tournament, from this week’s in Charleston to the French Open at the end of May, is played on a clay surface. From there until the season-ending championships in November, Williams can avoid clay courts and play primarily on hard courts.

Clay surfaces are the great equalizer to someone with Williams’ power game. Mostly, the surfaces slow Williams’ monster serves, which can top 100 mph. Those surfaces also make her ground strokes somewhat less daunting.

“With the surface taking away some of the speed on the court, then I think there are other players who can really challenge her,” Font de More says. “I think clay is where she is most vulnerable.”

Also helping Williams’ cause is the suspicion on tour that her sister, Venus, has lost some of her edge. Venus will drop to No. 3 in the world rankings following this weekend’s tournaments, and a slip farther down the tennis ladder would not be surprising.

No. 3-ranked Kim Clijsters and fourth-ranked Justine Henin-Hardenne now appear to be Serena’s chief challengers on clay courts. But even they face a psychological barrier in head-to-head competition with the best in the world, someone whose swagger is such that she can boast of being unbeatable.

Font de More says that if a male player was that kind of braggart on the ATP tour, he would immediately subject himself to intense competition.

Not so on the women’s tour.

When asked early in the week for a reaction to any thought of Williams going unbeaten for an entire season, Coetzer’s initial response was: “I would be the first one to support it, to go for it. That really would be something.”

Something, indeed.

Best seasons
Can Serena Williams, who is 18-0 this season, go undefeated? Here’s a look at the best seasons among women’s tennis players:

Player Year W-L Pct.
Martina Navratilova 1983 86-1 .989
Steffi Graf 1989 86-2 .977
Martina Navratilova 1984 78-2 .975
Steffi Graf 1987 75-2 .974
Martina Navratilova 1982 90-3 .968
Martina Navratilova 1986 89-3 .967
Steffi Graf 1988 72-3 .960
Margaret Smith Court 1973 102-5 .953
Chris Evert 1978 56-3 .949
Margaret Smith Court 1970 109-6 .948
Serena Williams 2002 56-5 .919

Pureracket
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Doesn't this article kinda put words in Serena's mouth? She said that whenever she is playing her best that she is unbeatable. However, boastful, the comment does not say that Serena will be playing her best every single day. To be honest, deep down inside, I sincerely think that Serena thinks she is going to win every match she plays. Hingis used to think it, Graf, Venus, and Navratilova all used to think it too. Serena, unlike what the article implies, would never publicly say it, though.

Serendy Willick
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:47 PM
I wish people would quit bring up past articles. How about bring up that fact that Serena has stated many times that she doesnt think that she will go undefeated because "it will be impossible to win every match". Her words, BTW, Congrats Serena on going into the quarterfinals with a very solid win over Conchita Martinez.

Seles_Beckham
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:47 PM
she is 19-0

RAA
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:52 PM
all i have to say is that Serena is the only player on the tour right now who can aim for being undefeated without being laughed off the court...

she might not do it, but, if she doesn't, she's not gonna miss it by a lot...

selesfan87
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:53 PM
I think that Justine Henin-Hardene is a huge threat in the FCC. Justine has a chance against Serena on the clay.

Serendy Willick
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:00 PM
I think that Justine Henin-Hardene is a huge threat in the FCC. Justine has a chance against Serena on the clay.

Agreed. Justine also has a good chance on the hardcourts also, just like everyone else. :wavey:

tennisIlove09
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:01 PM
I don't get it. One minute she's like "I can do it"; the next she's like "I don't think it will happen, it's too hard"

Which one is it?

selesrules
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Player Year W-L Pct.
Martina Navratilova 1983 86-1 .989
Steffi Graf 1989 86-2 .977
Martina Navratilova 1984 78-2 .975
Steffi Graf 1987 75-2 .974
Martina Navratilova 1982 90-3 .968
Martina Navratilova 1986 89-3 .967
Steffi Graf 1988 72-3 .960
Margaret Smith Court 1973 102-5 .953
Chris Evert 1978 56-3 .949
Margaret Smith Court 1970 109-6 .948
Serena Williams 2002 56-5 .919

Why not include Monica's 1991 & 1992 and Martina's 1997 if you are going to include the less impressive Serena 2002 year? :rolleyes:

Monica Seles - 1991 - 74-6 - .925
Monica Seles - 1992 - 70-5 - .933
Martina Hingis - 1997 - 75-5 - .938

mentos
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:14 PM
I don't get it. One minute she's like "I can do it"; the next she's like "I don't think it will happen, it's too hard"

Which one is it?
Give it a rest, Mr. Duplicity :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Did this reporter even interview Serena? :rolleyes:

Seenus
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:18 PM
I am betting on it.

shap_half
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:30 PM
I really doubt Serena's going to have an undefeated season. She is playing really well but there are several players who when they are at their best and when Serena is at their best can beat Serena. Serena and Justine Henin-Hardenne have not played a match against one another this whole season. They are slated to meet at the finals of this year's FCC. I would not count Justine out at all. If anything they are about even at winning this event. Justine's best surface is clay and Justine has produce a win against Serena last year and I would not be suprised if it happens again here and any other clay tournament.

Kim Clijsters has always had numerous chances in beating Serena and has beaten her last year. Kim is the last person to have defeated Serena and she can probably do it again. Kim is very strong player and her power can certainly challenge that of Serena's.

I don't think Venus will the be one to do it. Venus, I think, is just Serena's bitch. I mean I could be totally wrong but I just don't see it. I think Venus is really intimidated playing her younger sister.

aisha
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Give it a rest, Mr. Duplicity :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Did this reporter even interview Serena? :rolleyes:

You tell 'em, Fresh Maker! :wavey:

King Lindsay
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Why not include Monica's 1991 & 1992 and Martina's 1997 if you are going to include the less impressive Serena 2002 year? :rolleyes:

For once in your life, you actually brought up a valid point. I was thinking the same thing.

SJW
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:42 PM
LOL@King Linzi

u rock ;)

Dava
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:49 PM
"If I play my best no one can beat me " Well duh!!! Love We figured that you being No.1 in the world and all. But the question is can you go undeated if you have a bad match.

harloo
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:50 PM
This going undefeated thing came up during an interview with Weirthless. Serena said her goal was to go undefeated. A goal is just a goal, if she reaches it then great but if she doesn't then so be it. She did not say I WILL GO UNDEAFEATED THIS YEAR!!! Font De More is lying and putting words into her mouth by implying that she said that she will beat everyone this year.

And tennislove, get over it!!! :D

Zenith
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Unlike Sharp_half, I don't think Venus is Serena's bitch and she will be the next player to beat Serena. Eagerly anticipating FO final Williams Vs Williams.

Pamela Shriver
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Pass me my old faithful Prince racquet outta the trailer I'll beat her! <blowing off cobwebs>

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:36 PM
lock this thread :rolleyes:

venus will take serena out this year.

take that to the bank!! :(

SJW
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:52 PM
the bank dont take IOUs sweetheart :o

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:05 PM

i just hope serena does not act immature when she loses to venus.

no more "f*** you b****" :rolleyes:

SerenaSlam
Im going to put it to you all like this. What are Serena Williams' Chances? There are big as fuck. Why? Remeber when Venus was dominating the tour and won those 35 straight matches in 2000. Right now Serena is playing around 2 levels above that. While the rest of the entire tour hasn't even reached the level venus displayed in 2000. Venus has gotten better, Serena has gotten a lot better. But I can't even say anyone has gotten to where Venus was in 2000. That is really how the gap is. Since 2000, its been very hard for venus or serena to loose. A lot of times they were
early upsets in tournies.

People just love ruling out others, like they are doing Venus. But you know what the sisters have always done. They have let their tennis do the talking. Kim was a threat after Australia. Seeing she beat so called "Venus/Serena" back to back in the Championhips, she was this huge ass threat. But when Venus killed Kim in Antwerp, it was no big deal, and a lot of people were more so like, "that was obvious"

But do you ever think what would've happend if Kim would've beaten venus in antwerp? She would have become the Princess of Belgium, she would've become the even more offical "white hope" as you all call it.

Zenith
That made me chuckle Anton. Venus will be back to shut up her detractors.

tennisIlove09
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Im going to put it to you all like this. What are Serena Williams' Chances? There are big as fuck. Why? Remeber when Venus was dominating the tour and won those 35 straight matches in 2000. Right now Serena is playing around 2 levels above that. While the rest of the entire tour hasn't even reached the level venus displayed in 2000. Venus has gotten better, Serena has gotten a lot better. But I can't even say anyone has gotten to where Venus was in 2000. That is really how the gap is. Since 2000, its been very hard for venus or serena to loose. A lot of times they were
early upsets in tournies.

People just love ruling out others, like they are doing Venus. But you know what the sisters have always done. They have let their tennis do the talking. Kim was a threat after Australia. Seeing she beat so called "Venus/Serena" back to back in the Championhips, she was this huge ass threat. But when Venus killed Kim in Antwerp, it was no big deal, and a lot of people were more so like, "that was obvious"

But do you ever think what would've happend if Kim would've beaten venus in antwerp? She would have become the Princess of Belgium, she would've become the even more offical "white hope" as you all call it.

That's a pretty good post. Although, it hasn't been hard for Serena to lose since 2000. Up until Canada 2001, Serena was struggling to close out matches. Almost every loss she had, she should have won. I think those helped her become mentally tougher though.

As for the rest of the thread, I guess I've been told :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :kiss: :kiss:

GoGoMaggie
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Serena finishing the season undefeated would be a nightmare to me.....

mentos
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:56 PM
You tell 'em, Fresh Maker! :wavey:
:wavey: hey, budette
Just trying to make that *bad* :rolleyes: smell go away, is all
Anton, that name smells familiar. Oh yes, there's a restaurant by that name where I live.
They serve pure crap there too! ;)

selesrules
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Serena will have at least 5 losses.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 11th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Williams can pick and choose the tournaments in which she plays, and that could be a determining factor in how long she stretches her season-opening win streak. To qualify for the seasonlong championship that she won in 1999 and 2002, Williams must compete in a minimum of 17 events. She is likely to play somewhere between 20 and 25 tournaments, including the three remaining Grand Slams.

Um who really thinks that serena will be playing 20 let alone 25 tournaments? Please! Also do you really have to have the miminum 17 to go to the championships because if that is the case the champs might most likely be williamless if they only play 13 to 15 tournaments.

CJ07
Apr 11th, 2003, 12:03 AM
if I hear another "Venus is falling off the charts" remark, i'm going to kill someone

the woman is 91-11 in the past year and a half for lords sake

baleineau
Apr 11th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Um who really thinks that serena will be playing 20 let alone 25 tournaments? Please! Also do you really have to have the miminum 17 to go to the championships because if that is the case the champs might most likely be williamless if they only play 13 to 15 tournaments.

i was about to make the same point.

i'm sure it doesn't matter how many you've played to make the year end champs, so long as you have the points.

25 tournaments for serena??? yeah right. she'd end up playing about 110 matches at that rate LOL. more like 12-15 max.

spencercarlos
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Not to mention this ones letf out
Steffi Graf 1993 76-6 .926
Steffi Graf 1995 47-2 .959
Steffi Graf 1996 54-4 .931

harloo
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:20 AM

ROTFLMAO!!!! :D

Anyways, I would love for Rena to stay unbeaten, but she can still lose to Vee from time to time. LOL!!!

IMO, her going undefeated will not happen. She will lose a couple just like Vee has lost a couple this year.

anton
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:56 AM
:wavey: hey, budette
Just trying to make that *bad* :rolleyes: smell go away, is all
Anton, that name smells familiar. Oh yes, there's a restaurant by that name where I live.
They serve pure crap there too! ;)

what are you talking about? :rolleyes:

serena is going

D

O
W

N

Cariaoke
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:57 AM
:wavey: @ Mentos, harloo and aisha. :p

this article was dumb because anybody who knows Serena or a Williams for that matter knows they don't go over 15 tourneys a year. in short the article is false advertising because one would think that Serena just came out and said 'No one can beat me, kiss my badunkadunk ass'. she'd actually say something like 'I am a princess, watch my smoke' but that's a whole nother story. :D

anton
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:58 AM
:wavey: @ Mentos, harloo and aisha. :p

this article was dumb because anybody who knows Serena or a Williams for that matter knows they don't go over 15 tourneys a year. in short the article is false advertising because one would think that Serena just came out and said 'No one can beat me, kiss my badunkadunk ass'. she'd actually say something like 'I am a princess, watch my smoke' but that's a whole nother story. :D

right serena is not going to play 20-25 tournaments :rolleyes:

hollywood7172
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:14 AM
i think as long as serena steers clear of injuries, she has a pretty good chance. it'll be tough, but she has the potential to go undefeated.

that is, of course, as long as she doesn't run into jenny capriati TOO many times. :p oh it's just a playful statement, don't crucify me already!

yes, venus may have more of a chance of beating serena than cappy technically, but realistically i HIGHLY doubt venus will want to be the first one to end little sis serena's winning streak. venus is just too nice of a person and too good of an older sis to do that.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

1jackson2001
Apr 11th, 2003, 03:09 AM

For once in your life, you actually brought up a valid point. I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe Serena is the main subject of the article and he is comparing her to the very best. :rolleyes: ;) Graf and Navratilova are obvious choices over Seles and Hingis. ;)

If you actually tried to count, you would have realized he listed the top ten best records...and Seles and Hingis have not achieved good enough years to be on the list. Serena, however, is listed because she is the topic of discussion who is trying to go undefeated. ;) :kiss:

If Serena does go undefeated she would be at the very top after all.. ;)

Vincent
Apr 11th, 2003, 03:58 AM

QUALITY POST, selesrules :worship: :worship: :worship:

1jackson2001
Apr 11th, 2003, 07:13 AM
QUALITY POST, selesrules :worship: :worship: :worship:

not really...not when the intent of the author was to list the top ten players and years and relating them to serena.

rikvanlooy
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:08 AM

I hope you're right, but the results from Justine in the FCC don't justify this wish.

She seems to struggle against players whom she should beat easily on clay.

rikvanlooy
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Unlike Sharp_half, I don't think Venus is Serena's bitch and she will be the next player to beat Serena. Eagerly anticipating FO final Williams Vs Williams.

I guess the FO will be the GS where the chance of not seeing a all-Williams final is the greatest.

Justine and Kim have got more chances of winning against them, but I'm not sure this will happen.