PDA

View Full Version : Patty Schnyder Interview (short)

eshell
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Biofile: The Patty Schnyder Interview

By Scoop Malinowski
04/08/2003

Long before Patty Schnyder became an eight-time tournament champion and internationally famous player, she already tasted Grand Slam greatness. Growing up, Schnyder was already a Wimbledon winner — Stefan Edberg.

In her childhood matches with younger brother Danny, Schnyder would play the role of Edberg while her brother was Andre Agassi in a sibling rivalry played out on the court. Since then, the 24-year-old Swiss has established her own identity as a stylish player who can shrewdly change speeds and spins on her shots to confound opponents. A year ago, the lefthander beat Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams in succession en route to the Family Circle Cup final.

In this interview with Tennis Week.com contributor Scoop Malinowski, Schnyder reveals how a keyboard helps her relax, why reading Mary Pierce's game is about as easy as reading hieroglyphics and why Martina Hingis always brings a smile to her face.

Status: Finished the 2002 season ranked No. 15 in the world. Winner of eight career WTA Tour singles titles.

Height: 5-foot-61/2 Weight: 125 pounds.

Born On: December 14th, 1978 in Basel, Switzerland.

Childhood Heroes: "(Stefan) Edberg and (Andre) Agassi."

Hobbies/Interests: "I like to play piano. Been doing it for a long time. Other sports: golf, skiing, windsurfing."

Nicknames: "Patty. Mo-Mo — but I don't know why."

Favorite Movies: "As Good As It Gets, Silence of the Lambs."

Musical Tastes: "Elton John, Joe Cocker."

Early Tennis Memory: "Playing with my younger brother (Danny). Long matches. He was Agassi, I was Edberg."

Pre-Match Feeling: "It all depends. If I go on the court like favorite, I'm nervous. Just play good and expect myself to win. Otherwise, play a good match and try and beat the higher-ranked player."

Funny Tennis Memory: "I forgot my trophy in Hanover, Germany in 1998 (defeated Novotna). We were so stressed to get the plane home that we forgot our trophy in the hotel room. Then we called right away and they found it and sent it to us [smiles]."

Greatest Sports Moment: "Winning the final in Hanover (against) Jana Novotna. Such a close match. Saved one match point, then won 7-5 in the third."

Most Painful Moment: "Losing to Monica Seles with five match points in Hilton Head. (It was) 7-6 in the third ('99)."

Favorite Meal: "Sushi."

Favorite Breakfast Cereal: "Never eat."

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: "All kinds, cookies and cream."

Closest Tennis Friend: "Barbara Schett, doubles partner."

Funniest Player: "Hingis. I think she's fun. So natural the way she talks. I know her quite well."

Toughest Competitor: "Mary Pierce. For me it's Pierce. She hits so hard and I can't read her game. Strange."

Favorite Athletes To Watch: "Michael Jordan. Pete Sampras. Ernie Els. Ronaldo — like everyone else probably. Michael Johnson."

People Qualities Most Admired: "Tolerant people. Calm."

Scoop Malinowski is a Tennisweek.com contributor. Check out his site www.thebiofile.com.

I wish this interview went more indepth...

Beat
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:48 PM
thanks for posting anyway.

eshell
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Anytime, Beat!

:wavey:

vogus
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:55 PM
i get the feeling that this is a recycled interview about 5 years old - Patty doesn't mention her wins last year in Charleston and Zurich, she only talks about Hannover '98 :rolleyes:

vogus
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:56 PM
but anyway thanks for posting :)

jmp
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks for posting the interview, eshell. I like to watch Patty's game. I hope she can get deep in upcoming tournaments so I can see more of her play.

vogus
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:58 PM
BTW it was in '98 Family Circle Cup that Patty had the 5 match points on Seles, not '99. In '99 she lost to Kournikova.