PDA

View Full Version : Steffi Fans Only!!!: Are You Excitied Steffi Is Playing In Paris!!!??

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:20 PM
I am!!! :D

Go Steffi!! :eek:

cooolconchita
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:23 PM
the title of your thread surely answers you question! :)

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:25 PM
is she still sponsored by adidas?

tfannis
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:27 PM
I am!!! :D

Go Steffi!! :eek:

Did she confirm? :D

saki
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure. It'll be great to see her on court, but I really admired the fact that she went out while on top of the sport and so it'll be odd to see her & Andre lose (as they will) fairly early in the competition. It's out of character for Steffi, I think, to be doing this and so it makes me a little uncomfortable.

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:32 PM
if its just for fun.

also if steffi and andre practise they can play well

saki
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:39 PM
The point being that it's unlike Steffi to play "just for fun" - she's not that kind of player. She loved tennis, but loved to play _well_ and competitively. My guess is that if she's decided to play she's definitely training hard - so she'll play well but Andre's never been that great a doubles player and will probably care much less about winning so if anything he'll be the weak link. Steffi didn't play much doubles later in her career but she has a pretty good record.

Oizo
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately Steffi will NOT play in Paris. :sad: She refused to play an official match again. IŽd be veeeeery excited of course if sheŽd play! :bounce: IŽd even go to Paris to watch her, no matter what! ;)

gokimmmy1884
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:43 PM
How do you know Steffi's not playing?

Steffi also won doubles at Wimbledon with Gaby Sabatini

Vincent
Is it a joke? :confused:

Dava
I am really looking forward to it!!!

thegoose
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:47 PM
I don't understand.
I thought she wasn't playing but is she again?
I would love it!

Sofiane
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:53 PM
If she does I will be very happy, it will not tarnish anything nor add anuthing, I mean it's just a mixed double, it's like an exhebition!.
To see Steffi on court is a always a joy!

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:59 PM
The point being that it's unlike Steffi to play "just for fun" - she's not that kind of player. She loved tennis, but loved to play _well_ and competitively. My guess is that if she's decided to play she's definitely training hard - so she'll play well but Andre's never been that great a doubles player and will probably care much less about winning so if anything he'll be the weak link. Steffi didn't play much doubles later in her career but she has a pretty good record.

This is such bs! I admire steffi because she did what she wanted to do. She wanted to retire and she did. If she wanted to keep playing even though she might not have been a "threat" to win everything I still would have respected her. I swear some fans act like they own the players and their achievements. Its the same thing with MJ coming back to basketball and the segment crying that "he'll ruin his legacy..." which is really saying "he'll ruin our memories of those great moments..." which is just selfish crap. The atheletes made those moments not the fans. Its their career, not the fans and they'll decide when to stop or keep going or whatever.

also you do a complete 180 about steffi and andre playing doubles. Do you really think steffi and andre have a chance to win this title? Do you think they are threat? Yes she is training hard but please she needs a wild card just to play! If she was as seriously competiive as you would have her she would be playing in warm up tournaments to prepare.

This whole comeback is just for fun so i guess steffi is that kind of player.

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:10 PM
steffi playing will be good for germany.

tommy haas has been a dissapointment so far..

saki
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:02 PM
This is such bs! I admire steffi because she did what she wanted to do. She wanted to retire and she did. If she wanted to keep playing even though she might not have been a "threat" to win everything I still would have respected her. I swear some fans act like they own the players and their achievements. Its the same thing with MJ coming back to basketball and the segment crying that "he'll ruin his legacy..." which is really saying "he'll ruin our memories of those great moments..." which is just selfish crap. The atheletes made those moments not the fans. Its their career, not the fans and they'll decide when to stop or keep going or whatever.

also you do a complete 180 about steffi and andre playing doubles. Do you really think steffi and andre have a chance to win this title? Do you think they are threat? Yes she is training hard but please she needs a wild card just to play! If she was as seriously competiive as you would have her she would be playing in warm up tournaments to prepare.

This whole comeback is just for fun so i guess steffi is that kind of player.

No, I agree entirely that it's her decision, her career, her life etc. It won't ruin my memories of her career at all. I just meant that it seems counter to Steffi's character to be doing this at all. (counter example, it's very much in Martina N's character and I love watching her play doubles) I strongly suspect it's Andre's influence... ;)

I think she is seriously competitive and this is why she's training, but she also has a certain amount of pride - too much to be seen publically caring about mixed doubles! I don't think they'll win this title, nor do I think they're serious threats to. But I do think that the weak link in the team will be Andre rather than her. He's doing this more for fun and isn't as good at doubles.

On balance, I'd rather see her play than not but I'm a little uneasy at how it's come about. Basically, I'd be completely behind it if I thought it was her decision, but it seems more like Andre's.

Hendouble
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:20 PM
With all respect anton, if the Germans need to see Steffi Graf playing in an exhibition doubles match to try and make up for the 'disappointment' of Haas, they're on a hiding to nothing. If anything, a reminder of Steffi would only add more pressure onto the shoulders of the young German players, both male and female, who are still trying to step out of the shadow of Becker and Graf respectively. With regard to young players, it must piss off Haas and Kiefer especially that, having been cited as two great German talents, it's their older compatriot who reaches a Grand Slam final first.

Oizo
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:21 PM
How do you know Steffi's not playing?

Steffi also won doubles at Wimbledon with Gaby Sabatini
Because the statement was weeks ago in the press.

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:09 PM
adidas dumped steffi after she was walking with a nike bag in stuttgart 99 and my answer is no(personal reasons) but if she does than I hope they win the title anyway;)

go family Agassi :bounce:

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:10 PM
steffi said in an interview in the gala that she would try!

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:12 PM
steffi lost three french open finals in doubles. it would be bad if she lost another one :o

Tratree
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Well, personally my last image of Steffi on a tennis court was her retiring in pain in her last match at La Costa, so I'm all for anything that replaces that. I think it would be great to see Steffi and Andre out there playing mixed and having fun. Who cares if they lost 0 and 0. Like all of the sudden Steffi's career would be tarnished because she lost a mixed doubles match with her husband AFTER she retired from singles? Puhleeeze! I'd do almost anything to be there in person to witness it, but I'd settle for TV coverage :)

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:47 PM
steffi said that the pain was nothing and the main reason she retired was because she didn't want to play anymore.
it's great that she exactly retired when she found that it was enough, not even waiting a few more games. she so deserved it after wanting to retire for 9 years and constantly there was so trouble wich almost forced her to keep playing!

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:49 PM
i agree tratree.

steffi should go out and have fun.

i know jaden will love to see his mom play.

per4ever
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I doubt she will play... but I will be thrilled if she does :D

harloo
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:52 PM
not excited, because they probably wouldn't win.

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I never want steffi to lose. sure I never took mixed, doubles or exhibitions(except mahwah 98 but that was because of 97 and wimbledon that year) as serious as some people on this board but still;)

Tratree
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:59 PM
steffi said that the pain was nothing and the main reason she retired was because she didn't want to play anymore.
it's great that she exactly retired when she found that it was enough, not even waiting a few more games. she so deserved it after wanting to retire for 9 years and constantly there was so trouble wich almost forced her to keep playing!
She said the injury wasn't major and it's not the reason she retired, but she was definitely in pain on the court that night. She even started serving and volleying because she couldn't move much. It was one of those moments when everyone is cringing whenever the person steps on that leg and you just want the person to quit the match. THAT is the picture I have in my head and that is why I would like to see it replaced.

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:59 PM

irma!@! :wavey: :wavey:

i hope steffi plays

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:01 PM
With all respect anton, if the Germans need to see Steffi Graf playing in an exhibition doubles match to try and make up for the 'disappointment' of Haas, they're on a hiding to nothing. If anything, a reminder of Steffi would only add more pressure onto the shoulders of the young German players, both male and female, who are still trying to step out of the shadow of Becker and Graf respectively. With regard to young players, it must piss off Haas and Kiefer especially that, having been cited as two great German talents, it's their older compatriot who reaches a Grand Slam final first.

why would they get upset?

they should win some more matches or more over for somebody who IS

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:04 PM
She said the injury wasn't major and it's not the reason she retired, but she was definitely in pain on the court that night. She even started serving and volleying because she couldn't move much. It was one of those moments when everyone is cringing whenever the person steps on that leg and you just want the person to quit the match. THAT is the picture I have in my head and that is why I would like to see it replaced.

okee. I thought that serve and volley was because she wanted to show she was just the best in anything;) (I didn't see the match of course. the last match I saw was the wimbledon final and that was already a goodbye for me with many tears)

but do you think steffi had also retired in that match if she had not planned to quit? I am just wondering:)

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:07 PM
anton :wavey:

maybe it would be good anyway. when steffi plays I don't have to think about my own troubles;)

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:15 PM
was up irma :D

if steffi plays im ggoing to be harrassing everybody trying to get the tapes

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I found an empty tape in my tape collection last sunday like it was meant to be;)

those were the days when I always had to go to the supermarket to buy new tapes but I never bought then during a tournament because then steffi would lose;)

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:30 PM
do you remember the match where steffi lost to conchita in philly indoors?

i think is was a tought 3 setter. I was really dissapointed. i was taping the match and then after steffi lost i dropped the tape down the trash shute.

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:31 PM
alo do you have steffi-gaby wimbleon final on tape. i used to have it but i taped over it bc i thought i was obsessing over it.

spencercarlos
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:40 PM
do you remember the match where steffi lost to conchita in philly indoors?

i think is was a tought 3 setter. I was really dissapointed. i was taping the match and then after steffi lost i dropped the tape down the trash shute.
No it was a 2 setter 6-3 6-3 Conchita beat Steffi, it was a bad match Steffi was netting almost every backhand, but also it was one of the most agressive matches i have seen Conchita play.

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:43 PM
maybe thats why i trashed the tape. :wavey:

spencercarlos
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:44 PM
and Gaby/Graf 1991 Wimbledon rolleyes at you Anton how could you erase it :sad: A match i have just seen a couple points highlight of :(

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:45 PM
anton I have that match but I can't send you a copy because I only have one video

and that match against conchita was in 93 and steffi lost 6:3 6:3. she just came back from footsurgery then. I didn't see that match though, coverage in 93/94 sucked here

Kart
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:55 PM
I have that tape too but I'm going to tape over it because of the result :(.

I will not be particularly excited if Steffi plays in Paris - obviously I'll want them to win but frankly I respect her more for retiring on her own terms.

If she wants to make some kind of comeback, why not do that on her own terms as well, instead of yielding to that glory seeking husband of hers ?

irma
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:58 PM
:wavey: kart

can I assume that you are not fond of andre?;)

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:59 PM
P :D
E :D
T :D
O :D
S :D
P :D

i LOVE that match.

steffi was on fire after gaby had beaten her 5 times in a row.

steffi let out a "YES" after hitting a crosscourt forehand return winner on match point.

anton
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I have that tape too but I'm going to tape over it because of the result :(.

I will not be particularly excited if Steffi plays in Paris - obviously I'll want them to win but frankly I respect her more for retiring on her own terms.

If she wants to make some kind of comeback, why not do that on her own terms as well, instead of yielding to that glory seeking husband of hers ?

kart can you send me a copy, please :sad:

stubbsy71
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Steffi will not play Paris

Tratree
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Irma,

I think Steffi would have quit either way. She looked all week (even during practice) like she had no interest at all being there. She was unusually cross with herself during her practices.

Wait, did you mean would Steffi have retired from the match if she wasn't planning on retiring altogether? Yes, I think she would have....she tried for a couple of games and it was obvious she couldn't go on. Her serve was affected and she had like no court coverage.

Sam L
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:46 AM
I will be really excited to see her on the mixed doubles court! :D

anton
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:52 AM
i bet jaden will be jumping up and down when they both are on the court.

he never saw steffi play before :eek:

who do you think has more money i wonder, andre or steffi?

im not sure. :confused:

TennisHack
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:15 AM

:worship: I completely agree. I'd be a bit disappointed in Steffi if she came back, even if it was for mixed doubles. She left and she stayed away, which I really respect.

Too bad her taste in men isn't so qualified :rolleyes: ;)

stefanieforever
Apr 11th, 2003, 03:52 AM
:worship: I completely agree. I'd be a bit disappointed in Steffi if she came back, even if it was for mixed doubles. She left and she stayed away, which I really respect.

Too bad her taste in men isn't so qualified :rolleyes: ;)
I'll excite :hearts:

schris
Apr 11th, 2003, 05:34 AM
I don`t think she will be ready to play in Paris. Tennis is (was) her big love and it`s not only fun for her. I really don`t know if I want see her back on court. It would be to exciting for me ;)

JustinSteffi
Apr 11th, 2003, 06:25 AM
I don't care even if she is ready or not, I just want to see her hit her forehand mid air one more time.

JJh

Jan
Apr 11th, 2003, 07:36 AM
I would love steffi to play - hope she does but I am a bit doubbtful she will. Whether they win or lose if they play I don't mind as long as they enjoy it and have fun. Jaden, I agree would love to see his hum play tennis. Oh I do so hope she plays.

miranda_lou
Apr 11th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Stefanie and Andre both have said they play tennis together at home so I'm sure Jaden has seen his mummy play. :)

I don't think Stef will play mixed in Paris and that's okay with me. In fact, I'm hoping they play a charity event instead so they can make tons of money for both their charities. :) It would be much better than playing the French Open. The French don't deserve the privilege of seeing them. :mad:

I'm sorry to hear that some of you still dislike Andre. Afterall, he was Stef's choice as a mate and you should respect her choice. Besides, he must be a good person or Stefanie would not love him so much.:hearts:

who do you think has more money i wonder, andre or steffi?

Andre has the most money.:cool:

Kris
Apr 11th, 2003, 05:01 PM
I AM!!

and I hope she will play this match together with her husband!

Kart
Apr 11th, 2003, 06:00 PM
:wavey: kart

can I assume that you are not fond of andre?;)

Hi irma, how's it going ?

Actually I quite like Andre but sometimes I think he's a bit over the top.