PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Shoe Trade at all time high.

JoeyWinson3.0
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:56 AM
JWN AGENCY - BAGHDAD 9-4-03

SHOE TRADE IN IRAQ SET FOR ALL TIME HIGH

Following today's incredible scenes in Baghdad, shoeshops all over the capital city are set to enter a boom time.

It was estimated 500 shoes were thrown at the statue of Saddam Hussein that was toppled earlier today and an extra 20,000 were used to attack posters and portraits of the moustached dictator.

Shoe shop owner Al Alhanda said "It's lucky that we only keep the left footed shoes on display as most people seemed to be using their right shoes to throw. That means they will have to buy the right footed ones rather than loot the shop for its display shoes".

Sales of footwear are set to rise by 500% according to financial estimates, but it's not all a bed of roses for Baghdad's tradesmen.

Bob Cressa, who owns the Baghdad branch of Athena, which before today sold 60 Saddam posters a day said "I've had no trade at all today apart from some people bursting into the shops and setting fire to my goods. I suppose I will have to turn over the business full circle and start selling posters of George W. Bush, hmph".

It is expected that moccassins will be the style to go for in the Iraqi capital this summer.