PDA

View Full Version : Number 2.....again

SerenaSlam
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Another thing for you to look at about the number 2 seed in Rome and French

Kim Will be number 2 starting the week of April 14!

The Rankings as follows
April 14
1. Serena
2. Kim 4585
2 Venus 4555

When you take off Hamburg, the following week of April 21(I believe this was when hamburg was played :)), Venus will then become number 2, taking it back from Kim. This is where Kim is more than ever going to have to earn her number 2 ranking, but also take the fact that she doesn't have to earn it by beating Venus (or Serena for that matter)
April 21
2. Venus 4325
3. Kim 4223

Now you have 102 Point Differential. Venus has added the J&S, very weak field (even if it was strong w/ no serena she should win) Here Venus can only add points. Making the gap between her and Kim bigger. Forcing kim to do well in berlin. But take this to note. Rankings for Rome I believe are used during the week of Berlin. So if Kim isn't ranked number 2 the week of Berlin, she wil not get the number 2 seed in Rome. (Basically Venus is going to be the number 2 seed in Rome :))

Take this to heart as well, Say in Warsaw venus only gets to semis and gets only about 100 pts. That Will make the gap for her and Kim around 200 points. Now Say Kim wins Berlin, and passes Venus, Rome is that follwoing Monday of the Sunday which Kim won Berlin (and became number 2) she won't be getting seeded number 2 in Rome. Then when you look futher like seed for the French. Kim has 200 points (semis) coming off in Rome, venus has none and is playing. Seeds for the French are taking the week after Rome. So really here, If the picture is painted like it is so far. Kim will have to win Rome inorder to even have a chance at number 2 seed for the French :)

AjdeNate!
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Kim only has 1 point to defend in Berlin, so that'll help her out. Plus she has more than 18 events, so she's not going to plummet too far. Should be interesting to watch unfold.

~|Naomi|~
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:43 AM
When Kim's Hamburg points come off, she isn't 4223 points she is 4312 as last year French Open worth 88 points becomes her 17th best result. And as Seles said Kim has nothing to defend in Berlin, so if Kim can make the final or win Berlin she will be 2 and then who knows what will happen in Rome. Anyway it doesn't matter if Kim isn't number 2 at FO because it isn't till post FO when Venus will have had to defend her FO points and has all her wimbly points to defend and a couple of hardcourt events to defend as well that is when it is Kim's shot to consolidate at 2.

To defend between FO and US Open:

Venus:

FO: 616 (F)
Wimbledon: 618 (F)
Stanford: 291 (W)
San Diego: 389 (W)
New Haven: 296 (W)
US Open: 732 (F)
Total = 2942

Kim:

FO: 88 (3rd) - I am going to include this as after Hamburg comes off it will be in her top 17 results
Rosmalen: 31 (QF)
Wimbledon: 40 (2nd)
Stanford: 189 (F)
San Diego 93 (QF)
Los Angeles: 1 (2nd)
Montreal: 48 (3rd)
US Open: 122 (4th)

Total = 492

Those in red aren't in her top 17 results

So during that period Venus has 2450 more points to defend than Kim. then post US Open it is Venus' oppotunity to put pressure on Kim as Kim has abucket load to defend then

joao
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:36 AM
We fans are so much more worried about numbers and rankings than the players ... :o

Anyways, I never thought Kim would reach #2 before RG bc I thought Venus would never lose in the R16 in Miami! So really anything is possible since Venus might not win Warsaw (unlikely if the field remains that weak!) or Rome ... but the same goes for Kim ... she might lose 1st round in Berlin ... who knows! That will be her 1st clay tournament!

We'll have to wait and see! :o I decided from now on to not worry as much about the numbers!

If Venus is seeded #3 at RG well, that will give her the opportunity to beat #2 and #1 players in the world in the same tournament! And that means BIG BIG pts! So really, it doesn't matter! Venus is always more dangerous in later rounds than in early ones ...

GO VENUS! :)

SerenaSlam
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM
When Kim's Hamburg points come off, she isn't 4223 points she is 4312 as last year French Open worth 88 points becomes her 17th best result. And as Seles said Kim has nothing to defend in Berlin, so if Kim can make the final or win Berlin she will be 2 and then who knows what will happen in Rome. Anyway it doesn't matter if Kim isn't number 2 at FO because it isn't till post FO when Venus will have had to defend her FO points and has all her wimbly points to defend and a couple of hardcourt events to defend as well that is when it is Kim's shot to consolidate at 2.

To defend between FO and US Open:

Venus:

FO: 616 (F)
Wimbledon: 618 (F)
Stanford: 291 (W)
San Diego: 389 (W)
New Haven: 296 (W)
US Open: 732 (F)
Total = 2942

Kim:

FO: 88 (3rd) - I am going to include this as after Hamburg comes off it will be in her top 17 results
Rosmalen: 31 (QF)
Wimbledon: 40 (2nd)
Stanford: 189 (F)
San Diego 93 (QF)
Los Angeles: 1 (2nd)
Montreal: 48 (3rd)
US Open: 122 (4th)

Total = 492

Those in red aren't in her top 17 results

So during that period Venus has 2450 more points to defend than Kim. then post US Open it is Venus' oppotunity to put pressure on Kim as Kim has abucket load to defend then
you see those results from venus? those are basically around the same since she started her runs in 2000. She is playing very well, and a lot better. Talk so much about her loosing in Miami, but folks always have off days. Just Like kim in Scottsdale.

Venus should have no problem at least equalling her performances from last year.

Dava
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:29 PM
We all knew that they would swap that position over the next months, on lack of defensive commitments anyway.

~|Naomi|~
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:45 AM
ou see those results from venus? those are basically around the same since she started her runs in 2000. She is playing very well, and a lot better. Talk so much about her loosing in Miami, but folks always have off days. Just Like kim in Scottsdale.

I'm not saying she won't defend those points I am saying that Kim has a great chance ot gain points so even if Venus does defend them she isn't going to increase her points at all while Kim really can only add

GoGoMaggie
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Kim is more likely to be ranked no.2 when the RG starts.

1jackson2001
Apr 11th, 2003, 06:55 AM
It is not so much a footrace as each other letting up by either not playing certain tournaments or have loads of points to defend. Seeing them play against each other while rankings for both are at stake is most fun.