PDA

View Full Version : Venus Summer

tennisIlove09
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:26 PM
She has signed up for the Canadian, and may not play New Haven.

Thoughts?

Chance
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:56 AM
well in a way I'm glad that Venus is playing a tier 1 tournament and it's good to see her vary her schedule. On the other hand I did want Vee TO 5PEAT(lol) at Piolet Pen but I don't want Venus to overplay and be fatigued by the time USOPEN starts because at the end of the day that's where her results really matter.

tennisIlove09- Do you think you will go to the tournament?

tennisIlove09
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:03 AM
well in a way I'm glad that Venus is playing a tier 1 tournament and it's good to see her vary her schedule. On the other hand I did want Vee TO 5PEAT(lol) at Piolet Pen but I don't want Venus to overplay and be fatigued by the time USOPEN starts because at the end of the day that's where her results really matter.

tennisIlove09- Do you think you will go to the tournament?

No, I won't be going. I live on the other side of the county :sad: :sad:

I'm like you...I really wanted Vee to win New Haven 5 times.

I sort of wish this would be her summer line up:

Acura--to win 4th straight time
Week Off
Canada--Tier 1
New Haven--to win 5th straight time
US Open

However, I think 5 of 6 weeks is too much [2 weeks of US Open]

Still, I have hope.

CJ07
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:28 PM
I think V we re-work her schedule and still play 3 events, which ones, i dunno

joao
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I don't think she will play 3-4 weeks in a row! She never did. The last time she did was last year (Paris, Antwerp, Dubai) playing 3 in a row ... and she lost in the SF in the 3rd week! I don't think she'll do well if she plays Toronto, Pilot Pen and USO ... even in hard-courts. Why should she compromise her chances at the USO by playing that much anyways!?

Even if she doesn't play New Haven this year, she'll still have 2004 to 5-peat. Her record will still be intact next year! :)

Having said that, I wouldn't mind to see her play all 3! I'm sad though cuz, she didn't commit to Stanford this year, so I won't see her live. But I'll get to see Serena instead! :)

Venus_Serena
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:12 AM
I think Venus will play the Acura Classic and the Canadian Open. She will probably skip New Haven. I really wanted to see Venus 5Peat ;) .... too bad ! But, she will probably play FED CUP = week-end before Stanford !

tennisIlove09
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't mind her skipping Stanford. I guessing she will.

However, I don't know if it will be a huge problem. Look at the schedule

Acura
Week off [it's the LA event]
Canada
New Haven
US Open

It's hard to say 4 straight weeks, because she has a day off in between matches at the US Open.

CJ07
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM
V will be fine
she has to play 3/4 weeks in a row at some point, because at the rate shes going, shed only play 10 tournaments
this is what i think V's schedule is

Warsaw
Rome
Paris
Wimbledon
San Diego
Toronto (big if)
New Haven
Flushing Meadows
Moscow/Zurich
Philly
Fed Cup (?)
Champs
11+3= 14 evens= #1 Ranking

Venus_Serena
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:57 AM
I don't think Venus will play in Philadelphia. This tournament is just before the WTA Championships but, who knows?

Unfortunately, Venus will not ( I presume ) play 4 weeks in a row. That's just crazy. She will probably skip New Haven ...... :sad:

TM
Apr 18th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Omg! Ur Joking?>?!?!?!!?!?!??!!?!?

I've Got My Tickets For The Whole Week!

I'm Getting All Tooo Excited Now....

TM
Apr 18th, 2003, 05:09 AM
OMG U R RITE!

it's confirmed.

April 9, 2003

Player Commitment List announced for 2003 Rogers AT&T Cup

http://www.rogersattcup.com/news_photos/williams_serena.jpg

Serena, Venus highlight world class field for Toronto, early list features 7 out of top 10 players in the world

Tennis Canada announced today its initial Player Commitment List for the 2003 Rogers AT&T Cup. The Player Commitment List showcases a world-class field featuring World #1 and 2001 Rogers AT&T Cup Champion, Serena Williams along with her sister and World #2 Venus Williams. This marks the first time the Williams' sisters will both participate in the singles draw at the Canadian event.

Also competing is four-time Rogers AT&T Cup champion Monica Seles, current World #3 Kim Clijsters of Belgium and American superstar Jennifer Capriati.Rising young stars Anastasia Myskina of Russia (#10) and Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova (#9) will be making their third appearances in Canada this summer.

"This is exciting news for our Canadian tennis fans. Every year our fans and sponsors are treated to a world-class field. To have both Venus and Serena commit to the Rogers AT&T Cup demonstrates the importance of this event to the players and the WTA Tour. This will be a special way to celebrate our final year at this facility", said Stacey Allaster Tournament Director (Toronto), Vice-President, Tennis Canada.

Other players scheduled to compete this summer include Russia's Anna Kournikova and four-time participant Jelena Dokic. 2002 defending champion Amélie Mauresmo will also return to Canada to defend her title. The French star upset Jennifer Capriati in last year's Final played in Montreal.

To complete the Rogers AT&T Cup main draw list of 56 players; four wildcard positions will be issued by Tennis Canada. A field of 48 will also vie for 12 qualifier positions during the first weekend of the event.

The Rogers AT&T Cup, Canada's International Women's Tennis Championships, is coming to the National Tennis Centre in Toronto from August 9th to August 17th. For tickets and updated tournament information, please visit our website at www.tenniscanada.com (http://www.tenniscanada.com) or call 1-800-398-8761.

lizchris
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know if Serena has committed to the JPMorgan Chase tournament? I ask because since Venus isn't defending her title at Bank of the West, it makes sense that she plays at Los Angeles becasue bfore the summer hardcourt season, she will have only played seven tournaments.

locks
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:17 PM
Damn! Venus is not playing in the Acura event :sad: What up with that? Isn't Acura a tier! now?

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:37 PM
Well I am really ahhpy Venus comes to Canada!!!! I really want to see her...So if she comes this year, she'll have points to defedn in Montreal the next year!!! Go Venus!

lizchris
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:38 PM
Damn! Venus is not playing in the Acura event :sad: What up with that? Isn't Acura a tier! now?

Where did you see this? According to the official website, no one has committed to the event as of yet. If they di, the website hasnt't posted it yet.

The event is suupsedly now classified as a Tier IB event.

CJ07
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:55 PM
Venus is most likely playing Acura she almost always plays there