1164 7 03 Lindsay Davenport
1117 6 04 Justine Henin-Hardenne
1086 3* 05 Venus Williams
846 8 06 Meghann Shaughnessy
775 6 07 Chanda Rubin
727 8 08 Amanda Coetzer
717 10 09 Ai Sugiyama
671 8 10 Anastasia Myskina

* Earth to Venus. The season has started.

CJ07
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:17 PM
i think Venus is going to play more at the end of the year and less at the beggining, flip flop of what she did last year

but look at how many points she has with only 3 tournaments

SerenaSlam
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:21 PM
i think Venus is going to play more at the end of the year and less at the beggining, flip flop of what she did last year

but look at how many points she has with only 3 tournaments
very well said. seeing venus has played in 3 tournies this year, 2 finals and a quarter, winning 1 final loosing the other, and loosing the quarters. its is a sure bet serena/venus will be top spotted 1 and 2. Venus will just be racking in more points. Yes the Season has started, but don't you think you should be saying the same thing to serena? Seeing she only has 1 more tournie on her schedule than her right now? I also think you know why venus is number 5 right now. Its b/c the others are playing for the points and not the results right now.

Brian Stewart
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Probably not the names the tournament had in mind when they cut the field in half. Although it is early, I wonder if there are any reconsiderations going on.

King Lindsay
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:54 PM
There aren't, Brian. Everybody knows things will level out. the top eight will be the usual suspects.

Venus lost in the fourth round of Miami, Double S.

And I doubt Venus will play more at the end of the year than she usually does. She's given no indication whatsoever that she will do that either in statements made this year or in past behavior.

CJ07
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:59 PM
In Dubai Venus said she plans to play a more balanced schedule, and play every 2 to 3 weeks

Australia, 2 weeks later, Antwerp, 3/4 weeks later Miami, 4 weeks later Warsaw, 2weeks later Rome, 2 weeks later Paris, 2 weeks later Wimbledon, 5 weeks later San Diego, 3 weeks later Toronto, then New Haven, then Us Open, 4 weeks later Moscow/Zurich, 2/3 weeks later Philly, then Champs

thats 14 tournaments, and a #1 Ranking (or it better be)

vaiva
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
It's only chase

As meaningless as the ATP's champions race

Jericho
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
with venus "commitment" to the canadian open, i think she has finally figured out that it would be easier to play more tier 1's than mostly tier 2's...

Tennis Fool
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:02 AM
:eek: Ai's in the top 10! Congrats

Great to see the depth, veterans reclaiming the top 4 spots!

kell
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Yes, yes, Venus's ratio of points to tournaments is very impressive...however, no matter how well she does she's never gotta be able to maintain her rankings if she doesn't step it up a bit. More tournaments Venus!!

~|Naomi|~
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Australia, 2 weeks later, Antwerp, 3/4 weeks later Miami, 4 weeks later Warsaw, 2weeks later Rome, 2 weeks later Paris, 2 weeks later Wimbledon, 5 weeks later San Diego, 3 weeks later Toronto, then New Haven, then Us Open, 4 weeks later Moscow/Zurich, 2/3 weeks later Philly, then Champs

Isn't Venus defending Stanford? :confused:

King Lindsay
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:37 AM
In Dubai Venus said she plans to play a more balanced schedule, and play every 2 to 3 weeks

thats 14 tournaments, and a #1 Ranking (or it better be)

where did you get that schedule? Did she say she was committed to those tournaments or are you speculating? I remember that comment of hers, but it was vague.

Anyway, that would be way out of character for her. Venus has never played the Canadian Open (which, by the way, is one week after San diego) and she has always played Stanford. Also, if that is her schedule, that is her normal schedule. She's not playing more at the end of the year, those are the same amount of events she is always committed to after the USO.

joao
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Venus is not scheduled to defend Stanford this year. Serena commited instead! So I guess I won't be able to see her this year :sad: But hey, that's good too! I've never seen Serena play live ... :bounce:

I don't think Venus will play 3 weeks in a row in the summer (Toronto, New Haven and USO) ... she will definitely play SD (it was upgraded this year to TierIIA with more pts and more money) but she will probably drop Pilot Pen if she plays in Canada!

The fall will always be a mystery for either Williams ... at this pt, it's all speculation! But Serena said in an interview during the OWL foundation exhibition match that she will take the fall off so ...

faboozadoo15
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:22 AM
by the end of the year, i think meghan, amanda, and chanda will be goners and will be replaced by monica, jenn, and amelie...

kournikovafan13
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:38 AM
by the end of the year, i think meghan, amanda, and chanda will be goners and will be replaced by monica, jenn, and amelie...

I agree with you about Meghann and Mandy, but I definately think Chanda will be in LA this fall. Over the past year she's had great results and continues to improve. Jennifer and Amelie will definately be there, but Monica? Call me a hata but I don't think Monica will perform consistently at her best this season. She'll have a few good tournaments (well, probably only Tier III titles like usual), but will probably finish the year ranked around 10.

saki
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:50 AM
I'm suprised to see Kim leading - anyone have a breakdown of her points this season?

CJ07
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Venus is commited to Toronto
Venus ALWAYS plays Pilot Pen, shes 4 time defending champion for goodness sakes

and shes not going to play 10 tournaments, so that pretty much has to be her schedule
trust me, I know V :)