PDA

View Full Version : Top players equipment:)

PatM04
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Right now I play the Wilson Hyper hammer 5.2. It's the same racquet that Justine, Lindsay, Amanda, Magui Serna, and Todd Martin. There are many other players who play with it but I don't have time to list them all. Here are some pictures of these players with the racquet.

Dava
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:15 PM
I think I have the same raquet, Rodger Federer I think plays with it to!!

PatM04
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:16 PM
I didnt mean to post that yet. I'll have the pics in a minute. I do have a point to the whole thing with A question I need answered:) Sorry bout that

PatM04
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Well the pics don't want to work but it's besides the point. Anyways, Lindsay was playing this racquet at Indian Wells. So was Amanda, Eleni (whom I forgot to mention above), Tood, Magui, and everybody who normally plays it. Well when Miami rolled around (1 week later) Lindsay, Eleni, Justine and Justine had all changed to a darker racquet and different frame size than the 5.2. I searched for it on the net but I couldn't find it. Well I haven't seen many pictures from Charleston but I can see that Lindsay has already switched back to her old 5.2. I can't tell you about Eleni, and Justine. My question is, why would they make a change like this and then go back? I guess that Wilson thought they had improved the racquet but apparently not to Lindsay. Oh well, thanks for any help:)

joegerardi
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:46 PM
A LOT of players use what are known as "paint jobs." They are the players racquet painted to look like what they are endorsing.

For example: Andre Agassi's Head i.Radical is really a Head Radical Twin Tube from 1996 painted to look like an i.Rad.

Jelena Dokic's racquet is painted to look like a Head i.X6, but I believe that it's still her tried and true Ti.S2 she's used for years. Trust me on this one: I've tried the i.X6 and I couldn't keep the ball on the court- the stick is far too powerful. Think someone like Jelena, who hits a harder flat shot could?

The only 3 players I know for a FACT are using the racquets they purport to be are:

Daniela Hantuchova - Babolat Pure Control Team Plus
Pete Sampras & Roger Federer - Formerly the Wilson ProStaff 6.0, (my stick) but both have recently changed to the new Wilson ProStaff Tour 90.

There are others, but I don't really follow their racquets very much.

So, just because your fav plays with something that looks like your racquet, don't automatically assume that they ARE.

..Joe

Jesquimaux
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:49 PM
A LOT of players use what are known as "paint jobs." They are the players racquet painted to look like what they are endorsing.

For example: Andre Agassi's Head i.Radical is really a Head Radical Twin Tube from 1996 painted to look like an i.Rad.

Jelena Dokic's racquet is painted to look like a Head i.X6, but I believe that it's still her tried and true Ti.S2 she's used for years. Trust me on this one: I've tried the i.X6 and I couldn't keep the ball on the court- the stick is far too powerful. Think someone like Jelena, who hits a harder flat shot could?

The only 3 players I know for a FACT are using the racquets they purport to be are:

Daniela Hantuchova - Babolat Pure Control Team Plus
Pete Sampras & Roger Federer - Formerly the Wilson ProStaff 6.0, (my stick) but both have recently changed to the new Wilson ProStaff Tour 90.

There are others, but I don't really follow their racquets very much.

So, just because your fav plays with something that looks like your racquet, don't automatically assume that they ARE.

..Joe

are you serious.... :eek:

ktwtennis
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:21 AM
I play with Kournikova's Yonex MP-2i.

joegerardi
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:30 AM
are you serious.... :eek:

Totally. In fact, Chanda uses a custom-molded Ti.S2 painted to look like the i.X6. I got that from the guy that strung it for her at the US Open. Here's his statement when asked if it was either an i.X6 or an i.S6 with a paintjob:

Nope, it's neither. It's a special molded frame for them. It's similar to the old Head Ti.S2 mold. Some have standard length (Chanda Rubin) - She's also got a TON of lead under that bumper. VERY head heavy, but a bit light static weight - others have a longer frame, in varying lengths. Patty Schnyder though, she's using an i.Prestige. I've only come across one WTA player using an i.S6 frame, and that was Angelika Roesch from Germany playing the i.S6 MP with Topspin Super Poly 130 at 31 KG. Tauziat she uses a genuine i.X6 OS from the looks of it as well.

Here's a quote about Monica Seles' Yonex: (by another source)
For shame Yonex!! I pray that Yonex people read this as theirs is the worst ad lie in the entire galaxy of silly endorsements. I am told that not only does she not use anything even remotely like the Ultimum 2000, but she still uses a 28 incher close to the old SRQ 500 Long. On the order of 11.5 ounces and a 4 points(?) light. Customized from 27.5" and 8.6 ounces and 14 points heavy!

For Younes El Aynaoui: (from the stringer again)
Younes uses the Prestige Classic 600 with Polystar strings painted to look like an i.Prestige. I can't remember the tension. Hope this helps & have a great day

Now, don't get me wrong, a LOT of players - mainly on the WTA - DO use off-the-shelf racquets which are then customized for them by adding lead tape, either under the handle, on the hoop generally at 3 and 9 o'clock, or under the bumper. It's just that the really big name players have huge endorsement contracts, and it behooves the manufacturers to have a Serena or Venus Williams or Kim Clijsters seen playing the manufacturer's newest, hottest stick - even if they really aren't - to raise sales. Many people think that if they play with the same stick as their favorite, they'll play LIKE their favorite, instead of finding the proper bat for them

Now, the ATP, THAT'S another story. Most of them DO use paint jobs.

..Joe

jmp
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Thanks to the posters in this thread for teaching me something new about the raquets pros use. I first learned about lead tape last year when the commentators were talking about Sampras' raquet during one of his matches. I learned about special shoes the pros use with dimples on grass during Wimbledon. Thanks, again, for adding to my knowledge of the game. :)