PDA

View Full Version : Harkleroad upsets Bovina in FCC!

Mr. Man
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:06 PM
6:2 6:2.

Great Job/Win Ashley!!! :kiss: :kiss: :bounce: :bounce:

Rtael
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:12 PM
that really surprised me...

Jordan.
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Get these losers off the court so Lena can crush another loser in Ashley Harkleroad... and I can be extremely obnoxious.

LOL

Venus Forever
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

aisha
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM
:bounce: Excellent job Ash!

:wavey: Lena!

BK4ever
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Ashley...i knew u had it in you :bounce: :bounce:

Mr. Man
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:20 PM
:hugs: Leena. :D

Bovina will be back.

Mr. Man
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:20 PM
..but still celebrating Ashley's win. :kiss:

harloo
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:24 PM
people sure did hype up bovina, and she lost to Ashley. :rolleyes:

selesfan
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Congrats Ashley! I knew you could do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

ptkten
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Wow :eek:

Congrats Ashley :D :D :D

Best win of her career so far!

Smart
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Nice Ashley Nice!!!! GREAT VICTORY!!!

She got a good win and a lot of important WTA points :) :bounce:

CJ07
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:36 PM
watch her lose in the next round
and she isnt that hot either

Warrior
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Great job Ashley! :bounce:I am not surprised, btw!:)

disposablehero
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:50 PM
I swear there is a conspiracy among tour players to protect Monica's current #12 ranking, no matter how long she stays out.

CJ07
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:53 PM
lets hope she wont need protecting
i still dont think we'll see monica till Madrid however

auntie janie
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Congrats to Ahshley! This is a huge win for her. :)

BUT ... Oh My, Elena! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: What is happening to her? Elena fans have already been through ONE cycle of Up, Up, Up, then months and months of DOWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN .... :mad:

Isn't ONCE enough to put your fans through this, Elena? PLEASE, PLEASE, find your game. :sad:

Dava
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:00 PM
WOW Ashley ELENA WHAT HAPPENED.

I wonder if Leena is available for comment, after some of the things she said about Ashley.

disposablehero
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:01 PM
lets hope she wont need protecting
i still dont think we'll see monica till Madrid however

I'd be very opposed to Madrid. That means she would be playing 3 weeks in a row. I say either she's ready for Rome or she goes into Roland Garros cold. She can do that and come out OK, she's a steady veteran. But Monica may yet play Amelia Island. We don't really know her status.

Keith
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Haha at Leena. I saw her posts about Ashley and well, this is a nice resutlt to see!

Conchita forever
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Elena :fiery: :eek: :mad: :eek: :fiery:

Dava
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:34 PM
She said Elena would win 6-0 6- minus 3. And that Ashley was a little loser.

selesfan
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:35 PM

Even if she loses in the next round, this is a good result for her, better result than some other hyped up players. And I think she is very pretty, not that it has anything to do with tennis.

Gowza
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:48 PM
good win ashley although i did want elena to win. but now that you're through can you please beat meghann?

Leena
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:06 PM
I deserve every bit of hard time for saying what I said... keep it coming. :)

As for how I feel about Lena... well you can tell.

selesfan
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I deserve every bit of hard time for saying what I said... keep it coming. :)

As for how I feel about Lena... well you can tell.

Did you already take Bovina off your avatar? ;) You really must be mad at her. ;)

amy2468
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Good Job Ashley!

the cat
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
The win by Ashley is a surprise. And the 6-2 6-2 score is shocking! :eek: Ashley must have played the best match she ever has! Well done! :bounce:

CJ07
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Harkleroad only made TWO(2) Unforced Errors
she must've played out of her mind

and as for Monica, playing 3 weeks in a row in a month, if she played Serena Williams just 4 days ago is no problom

tennisIlove09
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Wow...what happened?

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM
She only made 2 errors? :eek:

Hurley
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I was surprised by Leena's comments, because I think Leena is pretty knowledgeable about the game and anyone who follows tennis should have known that this was no given at all.

Ashley has improved to the point where she is a capable player, and clay is probably her best surface while being Bovina's worst (title or no title). While I am surprised by the ease, I'm not surprised by the result.

the cat
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:46 AM
A confident Hurley believes Ashley has the goods to be a fine pro! :D I wish I had the same hope. But I don't. But now maybe it is possible for Ashley to become a top 20 player. I hope Ashley can continue such fine play. Only 2 unforced errors? That's unbelievable! Especially as haed as Bovina hits the ball.

jmp
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Keep working, Elena, and good luck in the future. :)

:bounce: Congratulations, Ashley! What a terrific win! Keep it up!

Hurley
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:06 AM
"2 unforced errors" has to be an unforced error on the part of whoever made that stat. I don't buy it.

Anyway, I don't think Ashley will be great -- even Top 20 will be a stretch -- but she certainly has enough game to trouble any middle-of-the-road player. Bovina is overrated and overranked (albeit very slightly), especially on clay, and I'm not a bit surprised.

Julian
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Wow Ashely!! She means business!

Elena!! Grrr she should have done a better job. :( :sad:

BK4ever
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:11 AM
A confident Hurley believes Ashley has the goods to be a fine pro! :D I wish I had the same hope. But I don't. But now maybe it is possible for Ashley to become a top 20 player. I hope Ashley can continue such fine play. Only 2 unforced errors? That's unbelievable! Especially as haed as Bovina hits the ball.

Ashley definitely has the goods to be a top ten player. She plays alot like Hingis and she can handle the power. One of her major weaknesses is mental and her serve. She has more variety than Sharapova, Bartoli and Kirilenko put together. It will take her longer to put it all together. I also think she needs to work on her forehand...it needs more racquet head speed.

All you naysayers...just wait and see ;)

Hurley
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:14 AM
It's very hard to predict these days. If you had told me Myskina would ever be Top Ten, I'd have laughed in your face. We just have to wait and see, I guess. Women's tennis is more interesting than ever :D

BK4ever
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:23 AM
It's very hard to predict these days. If you had told me Myskina would ever be Top Ten, I'd have laughed in your face. We just have to wait and see, I guess. Women's tennis is more interesting than ever :D

Exactly Hurley...u never know...and thats why I love tennis.
How many hyped juniors never make it on the tour.

I think everyone is forgetting a major fact about Ashley, she moves better than Bovina and she is a human backboard, she gets everything
back. I'm sure she frustrated Bovina by getting back what would
have been winners againt most people.

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I was surprised by Leena's comments, because I think Leena is pretty knowledgeable about the game and anyone who follows tennis should have known that this was no given at all.

Ashley has improved to the point where she is a capable player, and clay is probably her best surface while being Bovina's worst (title or no title). While I am surprised by the ease, I'm not surprised by the result.
Clay is not Lena's worst surface. If anything, it suits her game best (besides hardcourt). Lena prefers high bouncing courts, and time to hit the ball... plus she moves decent on clay, she played on it when she was young. Her results on clay do mean something too...

I've seen Ashley play a few times... and she had little power. Lena's always played well against players like that. Ashley has played well in challengers, but she hasn't even been competitive versus any top players... she's only beating mostly wimpy Americans. Capriati beat her bad, I remember. You can't say Ashley can "handle the power" when she hasn't played anyone with power... and definitely nobody at the level of Bovina.

Bovina is overrated and overranked (albeit very slightly), especially on clay, and I'm not a bit surprised.

I agree, to a point... getting up the rankings means you need consistent results, and Lena surely isn't doing that. But, I doubt you've seen very much of Lena's game. Get the tape of Lena vs. Venus at Collins Cup, Lena vs. Nastya in Sydney, even Lena at US Open (where didn't play her best). When she's playing well... she's Top 5 caliber. Her game is just so hit-and-miss, which is something she CAN overcome, and can overcome quickly because she has the game to do it... but she just stays with that 1-dimensional game of standing by the baseline and slugging... she's not fucking Lindsay Davenport, Venus, Serena in that respect... but what she does have is the overall game to change it up. Get your big ass to net, use more topspin at times... she just doesn't.

K, no more bitching... I said I wasn't going to. :p

Jordan.
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:42 AM
:)

Hurley
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:48 AM
I think everyone is forgetting a major fact about Ashley, she moves better than Bovina and she is a human backboard, she gets everything back. I'm sure she frustrated Bovina by getting back what would have been winners againt most people.

I agree one hundred percent with that statement. I'd agree more percent if I could. :D

Leena...I disagree but I've been wrong many times before. :)

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Lena has always been good against "human backboard" types that are "crafty"...

Rita Grande 2-1 (loss in 2000 when Lena was baby)
Conchita 1-0
Cho 1-0
Pistolesi 1-0
Pisnik 2-0
Serna 1-1 (on clay)
Clarisa 1-0
Sveta 1-0
Schiavone 3-0... until Scottsdale

And no offense... you may know more about tennis, but I know most about Lena (except for maybe Eggy), and it's wrong to say she's not an exceptional talent.

King Lindsay
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:58 AM
I think we can conclude that Ashley can "handle the power" of Bovina now, can't we? ;)

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:59 AM
And I'm not mentioning Lena in any more posts... thanks. :p

Hurley
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:00 AM
And no offense... you may know more about tennis, but I know most about Lena (except for maybe Eggy), and it's wrong to say she's not an exceptional talent.

Um...I'd say she has an exceptional serve. And is exceptionally tall. I think she has the potential to get around #10 or so...but I would never use the phrase "exceptional talent" to describe Bovina. Just my humble opinion.

King Lindsay
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:00 AM

Conchita 1-0
Cho 1-0
Pistolesi 1-0
Pisnik 2-0
Serna 1-1 (on clay)
Clarisa 1-0
Sveta 1-0

i would argue a few of those players are not backboards. Maybe you could throw Conchita or Serna in the "crafty" department, but Fernandez? Schiavone? They're baseliners, but they aren't retrievers, IMO.

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:03 AM

Conchita 1-0
Cho 1-0
Pistolesi 1-0
Pisnik 2-0
Serna 1-1 (on clay)
Clarisa 1-0
Sveta 1-0

What is her record against Hingis?

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:05 AM
I think we can conclude that Ashley can "handle the power" of Bovina now, can't we? ;)

I would say so. ;) Actually, I read an article on Ashley and she is working on hitting harder herself.

King Lindsay
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:05 AM
0-1.

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Um...I'd say she has an exceptional serve. And is exceptionally tall. I think she has the potential to get around #10 or so...but I would never use the phrase "exceptional talent" to describe Bovina. Just my humble opinion.
Her serve is sad for someone of her height... it's technically poor, unnecessary movements, quite inaccurate, and her top speed is in the 105 range.

I'm guessing this opinion is based mostly on her match with Lindsay where Lena got lucky with a few Deuce court slice aces. :p

No more Lena talk... I'm supposed to be pissed at her... :p

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:08 AM
0-1.

Thanks, I would say Hingis is a crafty, backboard type. ;) Anway, Leena also said Elena played badly when Lindsay beat her recently. I think Lindsay had something to do with how Elena played. ;)

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:08 AM
What is her record against Hingis?
0-1 Philadelphia 2000... again though, it's unfair to count matches from when she was just starting on the tour... she became a much different player 2 years later.

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Thanks, I would say Hingis is a crafty, backboard type. ;) Anway, Leena also said Elena played badly when Lindsay beat her recently. I think Lindsay had something to do with how Elena played. ;)
Yes, Lindsay did... in the 2nd set. They both were awful in the 1st, making tons of errors, and that's where Lena blew her chance. Lena wins the 1st set... anything could have happened.

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:11 AM
PLEASE STOP COERCING ME INTO STICKING UP FOR LENA! :p

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:13 AM

Hey, you said we could be obnoxious to you if Elena lost. ;) :p

Hurley
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:14 AM

Nyah nyah ;)

auntie janie
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Under an hour, that's what gets me. Has Elena never heard of the "Bathroom Break" ploy? Or a simple "shoe-tying" slowdown? :mad:

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Lena reaching her shoes is quite an exercise. :)

G_Slammed
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:21 AM
BigFoot wears shoes??

auntie janie
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Lena reaching her shoes is quite an exercise. :)

LOL :D

I am glad for the note of humor when I feel so irked at EB. :( :)

Harju.
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Ashley :bounce: :bounce:

*phew* I thought by changing your avatar you would win and yes indeed :bounce:

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:24 AM
LOL :D

I am glad for the note of humor when I feel so irked at EB. :( :)
I'm more irked... see the avatar change. :)

I should take this in stride though... and start truly believing in having lower expectations for Lena. :p The losses don't cause the anger then. :)

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Ashley :bounce: :bounce:

*phew* I thought by changing your avatar you would win and yes indeed :bounce:

Hmm maybe I should change Monica's avatar so she can get well and win. :)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Lena can lose to herself thats her biggest problem :(

same thing happened today i'm sure as when in last years Aus Open's pathetic opening rd loss by same score.

Congrats Ashley... she'll get the plaudits for this win. oh well at least Meg won't get the bonus pts (so a good thing)

Wondering how many times Lena shot herself in the foot :mad:

Lena quites likes the clay and played on it alot when younger, but thats the red stuff.

kournikovafan13
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:12 AM
I wouldn't say Ashley plays like Hingis did. Although I've only seen Ashley play one time (against Iva last year in NY), she seemed to have decent, solid groundstrokes and definately she had potential weapons in her game. I would compare her more to Sugiyama or Dechy, but obviously without the good net play (I don't know how good Ashley is at the net but I'm assuming it's not a favorite spot of hers).

As for Elena, she's very talented and imo top 10 material - she's just inconsistent at the moment. She's got all the guns: big serve, big groundies, good volleys. Maybe a bit of a headcase but hey, she's Russian. :p

Anyways, congrats Ashley :D

geoepee
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Good job Ashley!!!! :)

vs1
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Congrats Ashley! Very impressive win and a good start to the clay season. This is very exciting for her.

Elena is just starting off slow on clay. Yes, she is very talented and yes, she can be inconsistent. But there will be more tournies and she will continue to improve and she'll be fine. I have full faith in her.

The best of luck to both ladies! :D

TS
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Well done Ashley :) :D Great win! I like this kid.

Elena will bounce back, they all have bad days now and again.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 10th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Wow Leena... now I know that I sound like on WorldCrossing (another board) when I stick up for Ferrero... I start ranting and correcting people when I don't like how they interpret his game (like today when somebody said that he had poor movement - these people are on DRUGS), when they comment incorrectly about him being bad on a certain surface, about his head to heads, what type of players bother him - I go right nuts. Now I know what it looks like ;)

Jakeev
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Look if ELena was not a promising talent, and damn I think she really is, she would not be where she is in the rankings and she would have not had so many three-set battles like she did against top players in 2002.

In fact, of any player outside the top twenty, I think she pushed more top-ten players to three sets then any other player on tour.

But like Alicia Molik, she still has a lot of other dimensions she needs to add to her game: Patience. Not taking opponents like Ashley for granted. Consistency. Knowing how to mix her obvious power with finesse. Better second serve. Etc.

Her time will come.

diggerariel
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Wonderful job, Ashley! Glad to see such a big win. :D

Glenn
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM
What is Bovina's record against Henin-Hardenne? :p

I already know, I just want to hear from somebody else... :p

salima
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:42 AM
No Glenn I am not telling you what you already know and bovina´s record against Justine does not intersest me :angel:

What Bovina needs is to get her Micky Mouse cap back, Her record with or without cap, THAT`S the relevant record ;)

Rtael
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Elena BOVINA (RUS) v Justine HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL)

2001 Miami Hard (O) 64 Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 2-6 2-6
2001 's-Hertogenbosch Grass (O) QF Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 4-6 4-6
2001 Stuttgart Hard (I) 32 Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 2-6 5-7
2002 's-Hertogenbosch Grass (O) QF Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 6-7(4) 4-6

Justine HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL) leads 4 : 0

*whistles innocently* GO JUSTINE! *coughs*

bis2806
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:35 PM

yesss ashley will lose and she's not even hot!

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Yes... Justine is 4-0 against Lena, but she's not a retriever, and she's just a better player than Lena. :)

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:39 PM
No Glenn I am not telling you what you already know and bovina´s record against Justine does not intersest me :angel:

What Bovina needs is to get her Micky Mouse cap back, Her record with or without cap, THAT`S the relevant record ;)
She needs to get some major sunburn on her forehead again... that's why she used it. :p

cooolconchita
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Leena - I know you are trying to be all diplomatic - but i'm sorry - it just doesn't wash with me! :mad:

Yesterday, you were attacking nearly every other player!

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Leena - I know you are trying to be all diplomatic - but i'm sorry - it just doesn't wash with me! :mad:

Yesterday, you were attacking nearly every other player!
I'll continue to attack nearly every other player... :)

But, it's silly to keep that up when my Lena gets bitch-slapped. :sad:

I knew I should have been a Williams' fan. :sad:

BK4ever
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Clay is not Lena's worst surface. If anything, it suits her game best (besides hardcourt). Lena prefers high bouncing courts, and time to hit the ball... plus she moves decent on clay, she played on it when she was young. Her results on clay do mean something too...

I've seen Ashley play a few times... and she had little power. Lena's always played well against players like that. Ashley has played well in challengers, but she hasn't even been competitive versus any top players... she's only beating mostly wimpy Americans. Capriati beat her bad, I remember. You can't say Ashley can "handle the power" when she hasn't played anyone with power... and definitely nobody at the level of Bovina.

How many times have you seen Ashley play? Really!

This is not just for you, but for all the people dissing Ashley. Ashley is a hard worker. Tennis is her major priority...she is not getting caught up in the hype. She is talented. Yes she has weaknesses in her game, but so does eveyone else. No matter how bad Bovina may have played, Ash still had to capitalize and she did.

Leena, you don't have to have power to handle power...see Hingis.

Yes Ash lost to Capriati, but even Jen said that she had game and that if she got a lil more power...she could be even better. Plus Ash practices at Saddlebrook and practices with Jen, Justine and others, and they are all power players.

Y'all need to stop dissing Ashley...the bottomline is that she won. Sometimes a players win over another is just not explainable...maybe their is something in Ash's game that drove Bovina crazy...shit... look at the way Coetzer use to beat Graf...made no sense to most...but she did

Congrats to Ash and good luck against Meg!

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:50 PM

This is not just for you, but for all the people dissing Ashley. Ashley is a hard worker. Tennis is her major priority...she is not getting caught up in the hype. She is talented. Yes she has weaknesses in her game, but so does eveyone else. No matter how bad Bovina may have played, Ash still had to capitalize and she did.

Yes Ash lost to Capriati, but even Jen said that she had game and that if she got a lil more power...she could be even better. Plus Ash practices at Saddlebrook and practices with Jen, Justine and others, and they are all power players.

Y'all need to stop dissing Ashley...the bottomline is that she won. Sometimes a players win over another is just not explainable...maybe their is something in Ash's game that drove Bovina crazy...shit... look at the way Coetzer use to beat Graf...made no sense to most...but she did

Great post! I believe a lot of people are dissing her because some of the media had the nerve to compare her to Anna Kournikova a couple of years ago and some fans of Anna's were outraged at the comparison. I remember numerous threads dissing her at the old WTA message board and that is when I became a fan of Ashley's. I have this thing about protecting those that are harshley judged. ;) By the way not that it matters in tennis but Ashley is a lot prettier than Anna in my humble opinion. :)

eshell
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:51 PM
This is a good win for Ashley H. Maybe she will build some momentum and challenge consistently.

empiremaker03
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:00 PM
good win Ashley :bounce:

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:01 PM

I've only seen Ashley in 2 matches... so I admit I'm not an expert on her. :p But like Jen said, if she had more power, she'd be better... that's the impression I had of her. I don't know how much she's improved in the past 6 months either... Ashley is 17... her game is growing rapidly.

I don't take anything away from Ashley's win... she did what she had to do to win. But, I think it's wrong to praise Ashley like she's the next Top 10 babe either... As we all know, Bovina is extremely inconsistent. She can get crushed by players who have business being on the same court with her... I saw it with my own eyes in her '01 Open match. (Not saying Ashley is like that...)

mishar
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Green clay is a much lower bounce than red clay. Maybe that got in Elena's way. Has she ever played on green clay before?
I had higher hopes for Elena this year, but I guess she's in a slump.
ALso congrats to Ashley -- she's also had a tough year so far, now that's she about to turn 18, hopefully her ranking will go up up up.

Vincent
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Good win Ashley:)
What a loss for Elena, what's wrong with her, never expect her to lose with this scoreline.

mishar
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:51 PM
well ashley took the first set from Meg 6-2 so that should make Bovina fans feel a bit better
And they just repeated on tv that she only made 2 unforced errors yesterday

selesfan
Apr 10th, 2003, 07:19 PM

I guess she proved you wrong. ;)