PDA

View Full Version : EU Approves Expansion for 10 New Members

Seles_Beckham
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:36 PM
BRUSSELS, Belgium - The European Union's parliament endorsed the bloc's historic expansion eastward Wednesday, but not without cautioning current and future members to fulfill their commitments so the larger union can "speak with a common voice."

In separate votes for each of the 10 acceding nations, the 626-member EU assembly overwhelmingly supported the expansion scheduled for May 1, 2004. Those 10 nations are Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta and Cyprus.

The expansion will be the union's fifth and largest since its founding in 1957. It currently has 15 members.

"Finally, after all the arguments and after all the debates, we get the defining moment," European Parliament President Pat Cox said. "The time for enlargement has come and the time is now."

While approving the expansion, the EU assembly in Strasbourg, France, warned that the club's current and future members had to commit to building an "ever-closer union."

The assembly insisted that a 25-member EU "speak with a common voice in world politics" and urged EU capitals to show "a stronger sense of solidarity" — a reference to the gaping rift within Europe over Iraq

The European Parliament also urged newcomers to "fulfill commitments" and fix remaining problems, especially in fighting corruption, crime and in protecting minority rights.

The expansion will cost the present European Union another $41 billion in aid over three years to boost the new member's economies, notably by supporting farmers, building roads or replacing Soviet-era nuclear power plants.

The new members' entries still have to be approved by national legislatures in the current EU members, and that is considered highly likely. The candidates also are holding referendums to ratify membership, with Malta and Slovenia already voting in favor and Hungary voting Saturday.

Ewa Haczyk, a spokeswoman for Polish government's negotiating team with the EU, said the vote is "of colossal significance" and recognizes the democratic and economic reforms undertaken in Poland since communism fell in 1989.

In Hungary, the government welcomed the EU assembly's vote.

"Now the decision is in our hands, this historic chance to rise with the developed side of Europe," Foreign Minister Laszlo Kovacs said in Budapest.

On average, more than 500 of the parliament's 626 members voted in favor of the expansion. Not all assembly members were present Wednesday.

The Czech Republic received the most "no" votes, with 39. Ten German conservatives voted against it to protest the Czech Republic's refusal to repeal laws expelling ethnic Germans from Czechoslovakia after World War II.

Leaders from the 10 new states will sign their accession treaties in Athens, Greece, next Wednesday at a special EU summit.

With the new members, the EU will surpass the North American Free Trade Agreement as the world's largest market, with 453 million people compared with NAFTA's 416 million.

Seles_Beckham
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:37 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030409/capt.1049917982.eu_expansion_nyet207.jpg

Seles_Beckham
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta and Cyprus.

WELCOME TO EU.

Warrior
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Ukraine in not one of them!:(

vaiva
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Soon you'll regret you've let us in :p

Bероника
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Welcome! :D

gmt
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Soon you'll regret you've let us in :p
Vaiva, just imagine that I've ordered two huge composers' biographies in Lithuanian and received them a few days ago :D Needless to say, I don't understand Lithuanian as yet http://perso.club-internet.fr/ttle/tennis/ltwink.gif but at least I have a textbook and tapes at home... So there's some hope left after all :cool:

toreador
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:02 PM
and we won't have school on wednesday:D ...there's gonna be police everywhere:( :sad:

Monica_Rules
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Welcome:)

Josh
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:36 PM
I'm surprised the Czech Republic got the most "no" votes. Thought it would be another country....

Anyway, welcome everyone. :)

Josh
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Ukraine in not one of them!:(

Probably later. :)

CanadianBoy21
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:03 AM
where is bosnia?

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Bosnia still has a way to go before it can join the EU. But no doubt they will at a later date.

vaiva
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Vaiva, just imagine that I've ordered two huge composers' biographies in Lithuanian and received them a few days ago :D Needless to say, I don't understand Lithuanian as yet http://perso.club-internet.fr/ttle/tennis/ltwink.gif but at least I have a textbook and tapes at home... So there's some hope left after all :cool:

I'm surprised, to say the least ;)

What kind of composers? Some contemporary ones or not?

If you do not know Lithuanian, the books are of little use, aren't they?

Seles_Beckham
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:52 AM
SuperDevil :wavey:

Here there are talking about Bosnia entery to EU in 2009. :)

Hope we can enter in EU soon or later. :)

oggie
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Me too Seles_Beckham.

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Bosnia will be part of the EU for sure, as well as Croatia, etc..
About Ukraine they (and Russia) have priority agreements with us, so maybe that's enough for them...anyway the ten coming now applied for it years ago, it takes time to be in EU :cool:

matthias
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:40 AM
i think Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia and Slovenia will be good for the EU!

don´t know about the others, i expect many problems in the future

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Yes, the problem will be for structural funds, traditionally is Greece, Portugal, ireland and Spain the recievers, but now for example Latvia budget per capita (I don't know if it's correct call it that way, sorry) is 25% of the European average, so nwe countries will fairly asked for that funds too and Germany, GB, France, etc are feed up of giving more and more money

croat123
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM
SuperDevil :wavey:

Here there are talking about Bosnia entery to EU in 2009. :)

Hope we can enter in EU soon or later. :)
yeah, croatia is also looking to enter in 2009

Seles_Beckham
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Hi oggie :wavey:
propi :wavey:
croat123 :wavey:

Hope that BOSNIA and CROATIA will join the EU in 2009 OR BEFORE. :)

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Of course they will join, and maybe even before, next enlargement will be in 2007 with Romania, Bulgaria and maybe Turkey

Osssge
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Hmmm, Turkiye has to wait till 3009, I suppose...

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:49 PM
2009 is close:bounce:
Don't you worry

spiceboy
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:54 PM
I'm surprised the Czech Republic got the most "no" votes. Thought it would be another country....

Anyway, welcome everyone. :)

Czech Rep. got some NO votes from German representatives after what happened at the end of World War II

Welcome to everybody :)

gmt
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Özge, hopefully before 3009: otherwise you might live to see it, but I won't :rolleyes: :kiss:

I'm surprised, to say the least ;)

What kind of composers? Some contemporary ones or not?
Both are alive and active. The first one is Jeronimas Kacinskas, who left Lithuania in 1944 and ultimately settled in the Boston area. You may know him, he was arguably the leading "Modernist" in Lithuanian music in the 1930s. The second one is Osvaldas Balakauskas, who is one of my favourite living composers anywhere.

I have a CD of Julius Juzeliunas's music right in front of me, I'm going to listen to it while working on my computer ":cool:"

We had a major Ciurlionis exhibition a few years ago, but sadly I could not visit it :( He is better known worldwide as a painter than as a musician, but I love several of his musical works, and anyway both sides of his art are very closely connected.

If you do not know Lithuanian, the books are of little use, aren't they?
Hehe, well, they include some parts I can use. There are a few short summaries in English, and it is not too difficult to decipher lists of works or discographies in Lithuanian, as soon as I know a few words like simfonija, smuikas, fortepijonas :D There is also an index of names mentioned in the book, and I can always pick up the ones I am most interested in and try to gather at least a few data in the text.

However, if I am desperate, I know now whom to turn to ;)

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Czech Rep. got some NO votes from German representatives after what happened at the end of World War II

Welcome to everybody :)

Yeah i know but I thought Poland would have received more no votes because, unfortunately, it's the worst candidate of the 10 countries.

propi
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Actually the enlargement has been done for Poland, it's the real one coming, the other states are small and its impact in EU is not too big, Poland is the challenge as it's as big as Spain

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Yes but Poland still is the worst candidate of them all and the EU knows it but keeps hiding that information. In official EU reports about the progress in the candidate member states, figures on corruption, economical growth, the judicial system, etc are modified or simply left out.

I know that Poland is the key state of this enlargement and the EU wanted Poland in at all cost. That's why there are 10 states joining at once because they couldn't leave out all those that were actually doing better than Poland even though some of them did not meet the necessary criteria either. I thought that more assembly members would denounce this but voting against Poland's accession.

Car Key Boi
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:23 PM
tell me something, if this USE ever becomes a reality, does it plan to have it's own military force?

if so, i just wonder how it's gonna be financed and controlled and also what the reason would be for it's existance..

- Car Key Boi

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:31 PM
The EU is putting together a rapid reaction force of about 60,000 men that will be operational soon or maybe it already is.

There have been talks about a EU military force but most countries are still hesitant to share military information with others. A EU force has the potential to be very well-eqipped as the combined budget for defense of all EU members exceeds the USA military budget.

Car Key Boi
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:52 PM
and with yuor history, an EU force has the potential to fuck with the world even more than what the US does :)

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Well that's what makes daily life fun. :D

What history are you referring too btw?

Car Key Boi
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:01 PM
What history are you referring too btw?

well, general Eurotard history like starting 2 world wars and being imperialistic with empire building blah :)

Josh
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah, but the US is part of that history too. ;)

No seriously, I wouldn't like the EU to have a giant army but a common defense plan is necessary cause we can't keep relying on others if problems occur. Just let them build a military force that is adequate to face potential threats.

Car Key Boi
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Oh yeah, but the US is part of that history too. ;)

we got dragged kicking and screaming into WW1 & WW2 and we certainly had nothing to do with all that Eurotard empire building ;)

No seriously, I wouldn't like the EU to have a giant army but a common defense plan is necessary cause we can't keep relying on others if problems occur. Just let them build a military force that is adequate to face potential threats.

very noble of yuo, and i believe yuo - but i think yuor leaders have other ideas :devil:

- Car Key Boi ;)

propi
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Foreign affairs and Militar power are not competence of EU, they are what is called the second pillar, which is intergovernmental

bluepastures
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Turkey wanted to join, but some countries opposed it on the basis of a allegedly poor human-rights record. I think that was a bad mistake.

How soon are any of the 10 likely to adopt the Euro?

Messenger
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Soon you'll regret you've let us in

;)

vaiva
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Both are alive and active. The first one is Jeronimas Kacinskas, who left Lithuania in 1944 and ultimately settled in the Boston area. You may know him, he was arguably the leading "Modernist" in Lithuanian music in the 1930s. The second one is Osvaldas Balakauskas, who is one of my favourite living composers anywhere.

I have a CD of Julius Juzeliunas's music right in front of me, I'm going to listen to it while working on my computer ":cool:"

We had a major Ciurlionis exhibition a few years ago, but sadly I could not visit it :( He is better known worldwide as a painter than as a musician, but I love several of his musical works, and anyway both sides of his art are very closely connected.

You have a good taste. I'm not myself into that kind of music but the names sure ring a bell or two for me as an *cough* educated person. I used to have tons on Ciurlionis reproductions on my walls when I was a teenager, though had never fallen for his music.

Enjoy your CDs :)

However, if I am desperate, I know now whom to turn to ;)

Sure, no problem. And I'll be kind and charge you only double for my services knowing you are desperate :p

gmt
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Sure, no problem. And I'll be kind and charge you only double for my services knowing you are desperate :p
Aciu... I expected nothing less from your generous heart :kiss: ;)

vaiva
Apr 13th, 2003, 06:44 PM
So, gmt, can I help you? ;)

gmt
Apr 13th, 2003, 06:53 PM
*checking the litas-euro change rate*

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:24 PM
omfg...this is too much:( the member of EU r gonna stay in a hotel near my house and there's gonna be police everywhere:( so we can't go out:(

Josh
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Pfff what are you complaining? In Brussels that's almost daily business. :p ;)

Seles_Beckham
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Sophie_Angel
if i can help you, you will be a part of history :) but i know how you will feal, when Bill Clinton came in Sarajevo they were police everywhere and they told us not to look from the windows because the police could think that we are snippers so shout us. :(

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Sophie_Angel
if i can help you, you will be a part of history :) but i know how you will feal, when Bill Clinton came in Sarajevo they were police everywhere and they told us not to look from the windows because the police could think that we are snippers so shout us. :(
the same happened here when bill came:(

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Pfff what are you complaining? In Brussels that's almost daily business. :p ;)
exactly! i see policemen almost everyday since our country ..blah idk how u guys say it:o ...anyway since january i see policemen with guns almost everyday and it's getting on my nerves...especially when they "stare" at me:(

Seles_Beckham
:(

Tammy
omfg...this is too much:( the member of EU r gonna stay in a hotel near my house and there's gonna be police everywhere:( so we can't go out:(
tss hey *spank* - you can stay in and talk to me instead ok? .. :lick::p:angel:

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:48 PM
tss hey *spank* - you can stay in and talk to me instead ok? .. :lick::p:angel:
i could come there instead:angel:

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:55 PM
oh and yes indeed i'm happy to be part of history:)
...and my teacher told me that too the other day+he made me and my classmate write an exam on which countries and when they joined the EU:o i forgot one:(

Seles_Beckham
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:59 PM
which one did you forgot??

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:04 PM
sweden:sad:

Tammy
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:22 PM
i could come there instead:angel:
hmm.. ok ok then get your pretty little ass over here ok? :kiss::lick::angel:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:23 PM
*giggles* you forgot sweden??! :D hehe, i'm not laughing at you.... just at the dumb swedes :D (tsss yeah, it's a inside joke norwegians have:p)

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:25 PM
*giggles* you forgot sweden??! :D hehe, i'm not laughing at you.... just at the dumb swedes :D (tsss yeah, it's a inside joke norwegians have:p)
u expect me to remember all the countries+the year they joined? :p

toreador
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:26 PM
hmm.. ok ok then get your pretty little ass over here ok? :kiss::lick::angel:
ok ok *coming*;) :angel:

Scotso
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Great news :D

Car Key Boi
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Great news :D

huh? yuo call that "great news"? the fact that the Eurotards are banding together so that they can form one huge ass army that would be a greater military force than the US, and bear in mind their history of imperialism and empire building, they're gonna fuck with the world even more than what we do

- Car Key Boi :confused:

vaiva
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:19 AM
moreover we are going to do it silently, contrary to you, so that you won't know until it's too late :p

propi
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:07 AM
LOL
EU is joining lots of Johnnies English for our spy service....