PDA

View Full Version : Ashley crushes Lena, 6-2 6-2

Leena
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Ashley def. Lena 6-2, 6-2

I'm not posting about Lena until I see a serious effort to be more consistent with her game. I'm very disappointed in her. She's far too good of a player to be losing like this so often to a player like Ashley Harkleroad, who in all honesty, has no business even being competitive with a talent like Lena, in this early part of her career. :sad:

King Aaron
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Lena's first match on clay so don't know whether she has adjusted to the surface. I do think Lena will win easily but maybe struggle a little bit in first set. 6-4, 6-1.

Leena
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Pfff... it is Lena's first ever match on green clay... but that doesn't matter.

Udachi Lena~! :bounce:

the cat
Apr 9th, 2003, 08:31 PM
I disagree. I think Elena will be nervous playing against such a pretty girl who is also 2 years younger than she is. If Elena doesn't handle the pressure well, Ashley could upset her. Remember Ashley will have a partisan crowd cheering her on. And that could be a factor. If Elena handles the pressure and doesn't get rattled, I predict she will win 6-3 4-6 6-2. But it will be a much tougher match than you think.

auntie janie
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:31 PM
OMG, Elena! She is going straight down the tubes, just like in 2001 ... how depressing can you get .. it's not the loss, it's the score that tortures. :sad:

Elena are you really so determined to beat every ray of hope out of our little hearts??? :sad: :sad: :sad: :o

snoop
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Yep, this is really bad. Never expected a loss, maybe a tough 1st set but not more :mad:

Dunno what to say about this scoreline :sad: :sad:

the cat
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:54 PM
This match is about Ashley playing so well. I knew this would be a tough match for Elena. But not this tough! :eek:

What is happening to Elena is what happened to other Russians who had some success on the WTA Tour but then fail to handle the increased expectations. A respectable loss is one thing. But this is shocking! I wonder if Elena was intimidated by Ashley's crowd support. And there is no question that Ashley Harkleroad is a much better tennis player than she has shown early in her career. And she proved that today.

Leo_DFP
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Oh crap, Lena! :sad: :fiery: :sad:

I think this might just be a "sophomore slump" after her terrific end to 2002. Now she has more pressure on her and is expected to win more often, so it's difficult. Give it some time, and Bovina will be back playing great tennis this season.

LeonHart
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:19 AM
:sad: Lena...I wish i could see the match and see what happened. She'll do better in her next tournament! :)

auntie janie
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:47 AM
I think this might just be a "sophomore slump" after her terrific end to 2002. Now she has more pressure on her and is expected to win more often, so it's difficult.

The thing is, Elena already HAD her sophomore slump! :o She made the Indian Wells quarterfinals and then the Estoril final in 2001, and seemed on the verge of becoming the Next Big Thing on the Tour. Then she lost her momentum, and by in August that year she went into a skid -- and I mean a SKID; I think she won ONE -- ONE!! -- main draw match in 13 or 14 tournaments stretching from August 2001 into several months of 2002. That ended in, guess where, Estoril, where suddenly out of the blue she reached the final again.

So how long will THIS skid last? That one was so long and so depressing! :mad:

And it does make you wonder, why didn't she play Lucky Estoril again this year? :(

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Lena's Top 20 player... she should be playing the bigger tournaments.

And this is not her "sophomore slump"... this would be her "senior slump"... it's her 4th full year on tour.

Ugh... I need to leave this board... damn you Lena for captivating me so, and pooping on me. :p

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Lena pfffffffffff
she can lose to herself thats her biggest downfall and it happened again :rolleyes:

Leena ..... you really jinxed her :p

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Lena can take comfort in that I won't jinx her next time... :)

I changed the avatar to Alyona... I mean business. :p

auntie janie
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:41 AM
No, Leena, you are not allowed to start a fan zone for her and then leave; not unless her slump is as long and as deep as last time. :cool:

You may be interested to learn that when I started the original Elena B cheering thread on Russian Roulette, it was during her huge slump, and the original thread title was NOT of a Cheering nature; it was something like, "What has happened to Elena Bovina???" If you read the first post there, you will see what I mean. But later I changed the title, much to Eggy's relief, though I doubt anyone else noticed, since she was the Hidden Russian. :)

And look what has happened since then. She, the unloved Elena, broke the Russian Curse and opened the floodgates for the others! She reached the top 20! :hearts:

Hey, I'm pissed at her today too, but his slump is only a tiny blip compared to that one. :angel:

Leena
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:46 AM
No, no... I'm not leaving. I'm never gonna give up on Lena. I don't care if she goes on Vince Spadea losing streak... she'll always be a person I look up to. :)

I'm just expressing my extreme disappointment in her game, and how it's evolving. :sad:

King Aaron
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Lena :sad: :mad:

Very bad loss.

Lol Leena, you mean business don't you?

Doc
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Not a good few weeks for our Elena.

But her game is so dependent on her being on target and hitting the lines.

And I still hope she can do something to improve her serve.