PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Tournament Report!

maximus82
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Hey all!

Got done with all my touristing in Lisbon early today and decided to head over to see some of the action in Estoril...I jumped from court to court and watched at least some of the action for nearly all the matches...

Serna def. Tatarkova 6-3, 6-1 - This was the first match going on when I arrived...Serna looked to be playing well, hitting a nice mix of shots, but wasn't going for all that much. She really didn't have to though as Tatarkova was constantly going for too much and would make UE after UE a few shots into the rallies. She has some decent power, but really needs to work on deciding when to go for her shots!

Gagliardi def. Grande 6-3 ret. - I watched the entire first set. Grande has her left upper leg taped, but didnºt seem all that hampered in her movement. She started out well, taking a 3-1 lead by moving Gagliardi all over the court...but then Gagliardi just played consistent tennis to Grande's slice backhand and Grande would start losing her patience and making really weird shot selection (a few drop shots / moonballs) at crucial points. I left after the set ended to see a bit of the Nieminen/Lopes match and was suprised to find out Grande retired...she never called the trainer during the first set, didn't look that hurt or anything!

Nagyova def. Martinez Granados 6-1, 6-3 - The best woman's match I saw all day. Both players were playing decent tennis, not UE after UE like a lot of the other matches...Nagyova was on fire though, playing some great tennis. She was hitting it all - hard flat drives to the corners mostly, but occassionally throwing in some very effective drop shots and some deep moonballs when in trouble. Was very impressed with her play and think she should do well...felt bad for Martinez as she was really trying and wasn't playing bad tennis...she seemed really upset at the loss too :( Oh, and Nagyova had her upper right leg taped (no signs of it hurting her though).

Dulko def. Kleinova 6-4, 6-4 - Pretty dull match here too...two smallish girls without much power (there serves were so weak, I think I could have crushed them) duking it out in long rallies. Not the kind of tennis I find at all interesting, so I didn't stay long. As the scoreline would lead one to think, Dulko had a bit more power on her shots and seemed to end up on the top of most of the rallies.

Mandula def. Piedade 6-1, 6-3 - Only watched the first set of this one. Seemed like a huge mismatch to me...Mandula was big and powerful (although she definitely could work on her fitness/movement...the rallies she lost in this match were due to just being pretty slow) and Piedade is quite more a short / stocky player. Piedade has a lot of tape on her left knee as well...Mandula just dictated the points from the get go usually with her solid groundies (FH down the line was part good) and only had problems with returning Piedade's serve (wasnºt sure if that was because Piedade's serve was all that good though...Petra seemed to miss some routine returns).

Cervanova def. Ani 6-3, 6-4 - This was the only match I didn't watch more than a game of...both players looked pretty horrid and seemed content to hit medium paced balls with little depth back and forth. Boooooring.

I think the Madula-Serna match should be good...think it will come down to whether Serna can exploit Mandula's lack of mobility or if Mandula's power and depth is too much for Serna. Not sure who to pick...oh, and not to discredit Gisela, but if Nagyova played like she did today, they might as well write her name into at least the QFs. I'd like to see her vs. Srebotnik in the final!

What else? The weather was gorgeous...like mid 70s and sunny. Watched Arthurs lose to Voinea (Arthurs has quite the temper...down 5-1 in the final tiebreak, he slammed a ball out of the park and pretty much gave up on the last two points)...also saw the wc Lopes give Nieminen a scare...Lopes hit every shot full tilt and made most of them in the first set, before coming back to earth and racking up god knows how many UE in the last two sets.

Anyway, that was the day...think Iºm going to go back tomorrow and watch the main stadium matches...which means I'll probably only get to see Srebotnik :) on the women's side, but that's fine with me.

LOL, and lastly, fashion comments. Most fashionable of the day goes to Nagyova. She had a red bandana tied around her head like a headband, red with black accent one-piece on (by lotto maybe? couldn't see the name, but the logo was a kind of slanted square thing?) and red shoes. Mandula was dressed to impress as well with a red with white accents shirt-skirt combo and white/red shoes. Grande had a nice baby blue shirt with her white skirt...and everybody else was dressed pretty blandly.

hope you enjoyed...-maximus82

korben
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Thx for the report :wavey:

auntie janie
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Great report, thanks! :)

JennyB
Apr 8th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Hi Maximus82! Thanks for your report. We were in the same places, watching the same matches today (not all but some of them...). hehe
I watched Garrigues-Serra Zanetti, Nieminem-Sousa, Mandula-Piedade, Nagyova-Martinez Granados and Voinea-Arthurs. For me the best women match was Garrigues-Serra Zanetti. Unfortunatly Piedade lost, Mandula was just to good for her. :sad:
About the men's matches, Nieminem-Sousa was good. It was a pity that Sousa couldn't win... :sad: The atmosphere was great, everyone was with Hélder(Sousa), it was like Davis Cup! :D
For tomorrow I'm looking forward to the match Garrigues-Razzano and Neffa de los Rios-Talaja. In the men's side, great matches for tomorrow. :bounce:

Experimentee
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Glad to see Nagyova playing well again. Hopefully she keeps it up.

The Guilty
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks a lot! :)

Doris Loeffel
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Obrigado!!! (sp??)

Thanks for the report.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Tennisfan-Mtl
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Great to hear nice things about Henrieta :)

CJ1
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah Rita strained her left thigh (adductor) muscle in Casablanca, she thought she'd be ok to play and not risk further injury but it didn't work out. It's an injury that she's suffered a number of times in her career, but after she had an operation back in 2000 the problem seemed to go away.
I just hope she'll be back for Berlin and Rome as I'm going to support her there.

King Aaron
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the great report! :D

Gallofa
Apr 9th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the report! sounds like you had a great day! :D