PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian Tennis Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Randy H
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Hey everyone! :)

Now I know some of you are probably thinking 'What? Canadians and tennis? Those two words just don't go together!'. Well, believe it or not, we Canadians do have a few decent players, and I think that they deserve their justice and a thread to support all of their efforts (After all, if the Brits get a cheering section, then why the heck not a Canuck section? :p ;)).

Anyway, I hope that many people will post here and prove just how many Canadian fans there are out there, whether you like them all, or only a couple.

For those of you who may not have been enlightened about the 'familiar' faces of Canadian tennis, then here are some names to look around for on the WTA Tour, and more commonly the challenger events. :)

*Maureen Drake
*Vanessa Webb
*Marie-Eve Pelletier
*Jana Nejedly
*Sonya Jeyaseelan
*Melanie Marois
*Diana Srebrovic
*Beier Ko
*Stephanie Dubois
*Monika Dancevic
*Aleksandra Wozniak
*Karine Ionesco
*Erica Biro
*Nancy Loeffler-Caro
*Aneta Soukup-Zahalka
*Katarina Zoricic
*Kavitha Krishnamurthy
*Ioana Plesu

Those are just a few names, but there are also several more names who compete in the NCAA, aswell as upcoming junior players who will hopefully be able to make an impact in Canadian tennis in the future. :)

Lastly, there is always room for any fans of the retired players too :)

Patricia Hy-Boulais, Renata Kolbovic, Rene Simpson, Carling Bassett-Seguso, Helen Kelesi, Jill Hetherington, and Martina Nejedly namely :)

Randy

Randy H
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:20 PM
This Week's Canadians In Action:

*Maureen Drake has advanced into the second round at the tier 1 event in Charleston. She defeated top 50 player Yoon-Jeong Cho of Korea 6-1, 6-1. Maureen is a lucky loser, having lost to Lindsay Lee-Waters in the final round of qualifying over the weekend. She next faces the winner of the Clarisa Fernandez and Marissa Irvin match.

*Sonya Jeyaseelan is continuing her recent tour doubles events. Having competed in Indian Wells and Miami recently (where she and Meilen Tu upset Kournikova/Dementieva in round 1), Sonya is in Charleston this week pairing with Joannette Kruger of South Africa, also coming back from a long layoff. They face Tu and Maria Vento-Kabchi.

*Marie-Eve Pelletier competed in Charleston this week aswell, but unfortunately was a first round qualifying casualty to Els Callens. Callens won the match in straight sets. Hopefully Marie-Eve will find good form for the remainder of the clay season, having nothing to defend for a while.

Yet to be confirmed, but based on committment lists, Vanessa Webb, Jana Nejedly, Melanie Marois, and Diana Srebrovic are expected to be in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico ITF 25k Challenger. The maindraw has not yet been posted, but hopefully they will all be there to put in good performances.

In junior news, Canadian Indoor Nationals have been underway the past 2 weeks. Sharon Fichman (Under 12 Orange Bowl Champ), claimed the Under 14 Indoor National title over Jillian O'Neill. Last week the Under 16 championships were held, with Chantal Beetham (last years Under 14 winner), coming out to upset the top seed Valerie Saillant.

This week feautres the last of the Indoor National categories, with the under 18 tournament featuring Stephanie Dubois, Monika Dancevic, Eunice David, Valerie Saillant, Chantal Beetham, Anna Blagodorova, Sharon Fichman, Melanie Gloria, Ekaterina Shulaeva, Valerie Tetreault, and Kimberley Patenaude amongst the names in contention.

Good luck to all the girls :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Great idea for a thread...i love it...the canadians are great...just look at my username...kinda says it all :p ...Mo drake you are the best..great win against cho...keep it up and beat fernadez tomorrow...at the the 25 k event only vanessa webb and marois are there...they both won their first rounds good job. Hopefully they will meet in an all canuck final :)

It looks like we have a new junior star in the making with young sharon fishman(sp?). she won the under 14's and she is now in the quaterfinals of the under 18's..she got there by upsetting the #2 seed...great stuff

:wavey: to all other canuck fans out there :wavey:

Randy H
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:27 PM
hey Canuck_Fan :)

thanks for the contribution :)

Sharon is indeed a player to keep looking out for in the future - her Orange Bowl win was very convincing and so was her victory in the Under 14 Nationals :)

Big win over Dancevic, though Monika apparently suffered a hip injury during the match which has forced her and Dubois to pull out of the doubles (which ironically gave Sharon and her partner a walkover - lucky day for Sharon lol).

Hopefully she can keep it up :) I expect Dubois to win this though, she has just recently won two junior ITF titles in Sweden, and she is a very consistent player with a good frame of mind. Bottom half is a bit more unpredictable, but I am picking Shulaeva to come through :)

Maureen players Clarisa Fernandez today (assuming there are no rain delays), hopefully she will pick up some revenge for last weeks tough loss to her!

No sign of Jana or Diana in Mexico this week, though Jana deserves a rest anyway, and I am sure she will be relieved to take a break knowing she will make the Roland Garros qualifying cut off for sure now :)

Vanessa has a good draw, and I expect her to certainly make semifinals at least. Melanie should beat her next opponent (Alyssa Cohen), but Maria Elena Camerin will almost certainly be too good for Melanie if they meet in the quarters.

Keep going ladies ;)

~CANUCK~
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:39 PM
sharon also won the girls 12 and under eddie herr last year. I read someone that she is the #1 12 year old in the world..duuno if its true or not...but seeing as she won the orange bowl and the eddie herr without any problems i would believe it.

I also totally expect dubois to win the under 18 title...she is really good. And she must be full of confidnece after winning 3 titles in sweden(2 singles 1 doubles).

Mo drake has a great chance at winning her her match against clarisa..she almost best her last week. Hopefully she will take her revenge on her.

Randy H
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Sharon's luck came to an end in the quarterfinals against Melanie Gloria, a relatively easy win for Gloria. Good run for Sharon though, and a very respetcable result for someone well below the age of most girls in the competition (actually she was the youngest in the entire field).

Big shock for Dubois, she lost in straight sets to Eunice David. Steph was definitely the favourite for the title, and considering her recent good form, I am surprised she lost to Eunice. Nontheless, good to see her get into the semifinals, she's battled with some injuries for a while now, but perhaps she is back on track.

She will next face Valerie Saillant in the semis, who got revenge over Beetham over losing the Under 16 final last week. I think Saillant is the favourite, but she has never won a National title so she may be more nervous.

The other semi if Gloria against Ekaterina Shulaeva, who as expected, won over Tetreault. Could be a good matchup, and I think the winner of this one may now take the title. :)

Sonya unfortunately lost her match in doubles to Tu/Vento-Kabchi. They dropped the first set 6-1, and then one of them was forced to retire. Hopefully Sonya or Jo is fine and it is nothing serious :)

Maureen was also unable to keep up her form from round one, losing in straight sets to Clarisa Fernandez. Not overly surprising, because Clarisa should have known more of what to expect, and been extra confident having beaten her in Sarasota. Shame Maureen couldn't get the win, but she will gain points this week, and move closer to hopefully sneaking into the Roland Garros maindraw if she's lucky.

TS
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:10 PM
I hope Vanessa Webb can win in Mexico this week....(unless Bryanne makes the final, which I doubt ;)), I'd like to see her make the Wimbledon main draw. I think she could a lot of damage there. I was never really a fan of hers but she won me over in Melbourne this year with a great attitude on and off the court! I follow her closely now and she's probably my favorite Canadian player.

I like the Canadian girls. I like Vanessa's attitude and game, Marie-Eve's grace and determination, Maureen's antics, Jana's commitment to returning to the top of her game, and Sonya's spunk! I think when at their best Sonya is possibly the best of the lot, I hope she can recap the form of a couple years ago :)

Randy H
Apr 11th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Hey TS, thanks for the nice comments :)

I would love to see Vanny win in Mexico too, she has a good shot at it, and I just hope that she can keep building on her game. Making the Wimbledon main draw would be excellent, it's actually the only slam she hasn't competed in the maindraw of yet :o She had a great effort at Eastbourne last year, and because of that was forced to miss the qualies :(

I also agree with you, that Sonya at her very best, is probably the best of the Canadian players. I really hope she will be able to come back all the way :)

Speaking of Mexico, Melanie Marois did beat Alyssa Cohen, and is now into the quarters against Camerin. Hope she can give her a good match at least :) She will now move up to number 5 in Canada :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 11th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Vanessa has won her quater final match 6-1 6-3 6-1 and is now in the semis...sadly marois lost her quater final match 6-2 6-4...but making it the the quaters is a good showing for her...hopefully she will keep improveing

good luck vanessa kick some ass :worship:

TS
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Vanessa won the final over Maria Elena Camerin 6-3 6-7 -76 :eek: :D

Well done, what a great win :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Good job Vanessa....keep going...your on your way to the top 100. :bounce:

Randy H
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Great win for Vanessa in Mexico :D Not sure if she'll be in Mexico again this week or not, seeing as this week's event is on clay as opposed to hardcourt last week. Next stop should be Gifu and Fukuoka grass court challengers in Japan, though it seems many players have been pulling out of Asian events due to the recent virus scares. Sonya is also on the list for Gifu, but seems committed to focusing on doubles for the time being.

Sonya is playing with Maja Matevzic in Amelia Island. Sonya has some great memories of Amelia Island, most notably her first real big win, stunning Venus Williams there in 1999 for her first top 10 victory. :)

Unfortunately they drew Ruano Pascual and Suarez, but hopefully Sonya will bring her A-game and do well :)

Melanie Marois is in Mexico again this week, she starts off against Karin Palme. Good luck Melanie :)

Pelletier, Nejedly, and Srebrovic were all on the list for Jackson 25k this week - Main draw not out yet, but hope to see them all there :)

In junior play, Shulaeva did come away with the Indoor National U-18 title, easily winning over Valerie Saillant. Good win for Ekaterina :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:08 AM
sonya sadly lost her doubles match today..the score was 6-4 7-5 i think...jana pulled out of jackson...but marie-eve is seeded #1...hopefully she can keep the trend of canucks winning the 25k events as of late

Randy H
Apr 16th, 2003, 12:31 PM
too bad Sonya, but a good fight anyway :) I hope she will focus on singles again soon :)

Beier Ko and Aneta Soukup lost in Jackson qualies, and Jana and Diana are not there. Marie-Eve is top seed however, and takes on Kristina Brandi. Brandi is a good player, but struggling to get back to her best form after numerous injuries. Hopefully Marie-Eve will be focused and make a good run here. She is certainly capable of winning this event. :)

Vanessa is in Mexico, top seed again. She starts off against Mortello, and should she win that, she faces fellow Canadian Melanie Marois, who won in 3 sets over Karin Palme of Mexico. :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 16th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Marie-eve has lost her first round match at jackson 7-5 6-2...poor marie-eve...she keeps losing to people she should beat. Better luck next time.

Randy H
Apr 17th, 2003, 01:00 PM
tough loss for Marie-Eve - she's had really poor challenger results this year, and seems to be doing better in the qualifying matches for the tour events! perhaps she is better off keeping with that for now...

Vanessa is through, though she struggled - she now faces Melanie. I wouldn't be too shocked by either of them winning. Vanessa can win matches on clay and Melanie can be inconsistent, but Vanny has her off days too so you just never know with them! I would like Vanessa to go far here though so that she can maintain her good ranking and hopefully improve it before her Fukuoka and Eastbourne points drop off. :)

Canadian Fed Cup team has also been announced. Vanessa, Maureen, Marie-Eve, and Jana are on this year's team, which should assure at *least* two of them maindraw wildcards for the Canadian open. All 4 should really get one, but considering it's a tier 1, there are often bigger names that enter last minute looking for wildcards, which the tournament usually gives out. :rolleyes:

Anyway, tough call for the lineup - the rest of the field is relatively weak, so I hope they mix up the singles ,matches, but overall I think that the nod should go to Maureen and Vanessa because they have earned it with their ranking. Jana is in hot form right now, but Vanny and Mo are in good form lately too.

Marie-Eve I don't feel should play the more important singles ties because she is inexperienced and the most susceptible to nerves. I do think they will give her some matches against the weaker teams for experience sake though. :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:46 PM
yes good luck girls in fed cup...i don't see you guys havin any problems winning here...they made it to world group playoff last year and i think they will do it again...kick some ass girls...make us canucks proud.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Hi all canadian fans!!!! I am pretty diapointed in Marie-Eve's lost, but Brandi was a formal top 40 player...She was very unlucky to have her in round one!!!

I wish Mélanie the best of luck!!! She comes from my tennis club!!!

I am a bit disapooitned though that Marie-Eve plays in Fed Cup...I would have prefered she played in the 75K....

CD!

~CANUCK~
Apr 18th, 2003, 05:43 PM
vanessa webb won her second round match beating marois 6-1 6-2 i think

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 18th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Poor Mélanie!!!! She really isn't competing at the level she is capable...

Well good luck in your next tourneys!

Randy H
Apr 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM
hi cdpoulin :)

too bad for Melanie, but at least she has been winning matches at 25k level this year consistently :) She has little to defend in May, so I think that she has a good chance to keep building her ranking up even more :)

Vanessa lost a very close match in the quarters to Garcia-Sokol. A disappointing match, but at least Vanessa will pick up some points to add with her title from last week.

Should be interesting to see how the Fed Cup goes now :)

Does anyone know the surface it is played on? If it is hardcourt, then I think they should go with Drake and Webb (simply based on rank to make it fair - all the girls have been playing reasonably well lately)

If it's clay, then I think Drake and Nejedly are the ones to go with, but we'll see :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:03 PM
i think they should let jana play a few matches seeing as she has a great fed cup record and she has been playing great lately

~CANUCK~
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Does anyone know when Aleksandra Wozniak is gonna play again...she hasn't played in a few weeks. She is my fav junior player so i like to keep track of her..thx

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Aleksandra is awesome! She has so much potential!!!

Well I think that if the Fed Cup is on green clay, mo and MArie really are the one to choose! Jana would be good on red clay, but she seems so inconsistent this year! Fantastic results with very very poor ones!!!!

Well the decision will be tougher than ever, with 4 girls competing at a high level!!!!

Good luck girls!

Hi Randy :wavey:

Well Mélanie is just starting to have good results! i wish her a very prolific and long career, though she has some things to improve!

~CANUCK~
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Someone once said that alex plays like a mini davenport...is this true...i really hope she can be the "next one" from canada...we need a good player to come up.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:47 AM
Well...Alek really does not have that big of a serve, but her groundies are impressive..She is also a fighter, and really seems to want to improve and win!

She really has potential to be a fantastic tennis player! I agree Canada needs one right now!

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 21st, 2003, 03:48 PM
The qualies result for Dothan's 75K are up!!!
Mélanie won!!:bounce:
Sonya too!!! :)
Diana lost though :sad:

Good luck to the two girls (especailly Mélanie!)

~CANUCK~
Apr 21st, 2003, 04:50 PM
Good job sonya...its about time you start playing singles again....and also good win for melanie....keep it up girls and get into the main draw

~CANUCK~
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:43 PM
good luck girls at the fed cup this week
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/travesmilies/flaggen1/smilie_flagge17.gif

Randy H
Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:33 PM
Hey guys :)

Well so far no news of the Americas Fed Cup qualie results - Hopefully they'll be ready soon :)

Melanie lost to Uberoi in 2nd round qualifying - I thought she could win this match, but unfortunately not :( Hope she can keep playing well though.

Too bad for Diana also :(

Sonya won her 2nd round over Kirkland, a good win, and now she faces Miseviciute, or Janet Lee. Both could go either way - Good luck Sonya :D

Aleksandra Wozniak competed in 25k Taranto Italy qualifying - She lost 2nd round to Dell'Angelo :( Good to see her playing in Europe though, probably a good sign she will stay there and play junior Roland Garros :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:05 PM
Thx for the info on Alex...i really like her...i hope she plays RG this year...i don't think she has ever played it...maybe she will also play the italian open which is also another grade A tournament for the juniors...Go Alex kick some ass

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:04 PM
Too bad Mélanie :sad:

Good luck Sonya! After everything that happened to you in the last years, you really deserve to get back to tyour old form and better!!!

~CANUCK~
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:18 PM
Good luck sonya..u should be able to qualify here...i hope u do really well and get your ranking back to where it should be soon

Randy H
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:01 PM
Sonya lost in final round qualifying to Janet Lee in straight sets - A bit disappointing since Janet is not really a great clay court player, but the good news is that Sonya is in the main draw as a lucky loser. Then the bad news is that she plays Janet yet again lol.

Actually it is probably good for her, because Janet is probably the best player she could have drawn in the maindraw based on who the other potential people were, and hopefully now she will be more prepared to face Janet again and get revenge. :)

Go Sonya!

For some reason, she is not in the maindraw of te doubles though - I am not sure why she chose not to, but I am sure she has her reasons :)

Great news in 10k Hvar challenger as Ekaterina Shulaeva went all the way through the qualifying winning 4 matches to reach the main draw :D

Unfortunately Monika Dancevic was not so lucky, losing in the first round of qualifying in 3 sets :(

In Fed Cup, Canada begins its effort to reach the World Group Qualifying by competing in Group A of Americas Zone 1 today. They start off against the Bahamas, and will then play against Mexico, and Uruguay for a chance at reaching the semifinals on the weekend. The top 2 teams are promoted up to World Group qualifying matches later in the year :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:38 PM
jana won the first match for us in fed cup...6-0 6-1...way to go jana...keep up the good work...

great to hear kat is playing well in the 10k events...maybe she will do some damage there now that she is in the main draw

tennisIlove09
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:47 PM
Great thread :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship:

Fed-Cup News!

Canada won 3-0
Jana won 6-0 6-1
Maureen won 6-0 6-1
Vanessa/Marie Eve won 6-0 6-1

:hearts:

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Congrats to Marie-Eve and all Canadian team!!!:bounce::)

To bad Sonya lost 2 times in row agasint the same though :sad:

Randy H
Apr 24th, 2003, 12:55 PM
well done Canada :D

I think they did the right thing to choose Maureen and Jana for clay matches. However, I do think that maybe they should have given Marie-Eve and Vanessa this chance against Bahamas, because it was a sure win anyway, and it would have been a good chance for them to at least get more experience in the Fed Cup singles against the easiest opponents in their group. I guess they want Maureen and Jana to get more prepared though.

Sonya lost to Janet again :( She was close this time, losing 7-5 final set - Better effort at least, I hope she will keep working on her singles for now :)

Ekaterina Shulaeva won her opening round match. She plays the winner of Matic-Kucerkova in round 2 - She is not the favourite to win this match for sur,e but I hope she goes and plays knowing she has nothing to lose, and hopefully she can make a surprise :)

~CANUCK~
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Kat won her second round match
SHULAEVA Ekaterina(CAN) def. MATIC Antonia(GER) 7-6,6-3

Way to go girl....keep going...it would be so cool if you could won this title...i don't know if you can but give it your best shot.

And canada is up 2-0 in fed cup...no big surprise...jana and mo both won there singles matches...it was tougher this time but they still won...good job girls....keep up the good work

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:01 PM
well Canda! You rock!!! Marie-Eve will play her 2nd mathc!!! Good luck!!! Hope you will face an easier team this year in World Group qualifying!! Well I assume you will get there :p!!!

I don't know who that player is???SHULAEVA Ekaterina??? HWerre is she from and what age is she?

tennisIlove09
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Today's Fed-Cup Results

Canada def. Uruguay 3-0
Jana Nejedly (CAN) def. Estefania Craciun (URU) 6-3 6-1
Maureen Drake (CAN) def. Lucia Migliarini (URU) 6-2 6-2
Pelletier/Webb (CAN) def. Craciun/Migliarini (URU) 6-4 6-7(3) 6-3

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I have another question...with Mike Weir winning the Masters, I wonder which Canadian will break through in tennis. Anyone have any ideas?

~CANUCK~
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:54 AM
well Canda! You rock!!! Marie-Eve will play her 2nd mathc!!! Good luck!!! Hope you will face an easier team this year in World Group qualifying!! Well I assume you will get there :p!!!

I don't know who that player is???SHULAEVA Ekaterina??? HWerre is she from and what age is she?

Ekaterina shulaeva is canadian...she is a junior right now...she just won the indoor under 18 champs..here is a pic http://www.tenniscanada.com/federation/news/photos/katyu1602-2web.jpg

~CANUCK~
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:58 AM
I have another question...with Mike Weir winning the Masters, I wonder which Canadian will break through in tennis. Anyone have any ideas?

Hmm hard to say...We have a couple of good juniors on there way up...i think maybe beier ko or alex wozniak have a good chance at being in the top 100 or better...with alex prolly having the best shot at that. In a few years sharon fishman might be good as well...she won the under 12 orange bowl and eddie herr last year so she looks promising.

~CANUCK~
Apr 25th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Canada is winning ther 3rd fed cup round robin today....they are leading 1-0....jana won the first match 6-2 6-2...kepp going...Now mo just has to win and canada gets first in there division.

coolio3
Apr 25th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Hmm hard to say...We have a couple of good juniors on there way up...i think maybe beier ko or alex wozniak have a good chance at being in the top 100 or better...with alex prolly having the best shot at that. In a few years sharon fishman might be good as well...she won the under 12 orange bowl and eddie herr last year so she looks promising.
i was hoping for 'em for a long time,
but they were pretty disappointing when it comes
to juniors......not being able to win Grade A trophy,
i 1st noticed Beier in qualies of Canadian Open,
but she could not achieve things like what
Widjaja/Casanova etc. have achieved
expecting more for Alex though....
we'll just have to see how they do in WTA qualies
coz we've got 2 tournaments, no need to worry
too much for 'em to get a WC...
good luck to both...:)

~CANUCK~
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:40 PM
i was hoping for 'em for a long time,
but they were pretty disappointing when it comes
to juniors......not being able to win Grade A trophy,
i 1st noticed Beier in qualies of Canadian Open,
but she could not achieve things like what
Widjaja/Casanova etc. have achieved
expecting more for Alex though....
we'll just have to see how they do in WTA qualies
coz we've got 2 tournaments, no need to worry
too much for 'em to get a WC...
good luck to both...:)

alex is still young...and she really only started playing grade A's lately...she hasn't played to many and she has done ok in the ones she has been in...she made it to the quaters at the junior AO and prolly would have made the semis or better but she had a bumed arm and had to serve underhand...alex has also won a B1 tournament which is the next highest kinda of tournament...beier ko made it to a final of a grade A but lost to an amazing player...i think these to will be great one day...i don't think either will be makin noise on the tour for at least a couple of years but watch out for them

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Watch out!!! The canucks are out!!!! COngrats to the Canadain team once agins for beating everybody! World group is yours!!!!

Ô Canada, terre de nos aieux...

tennisIlove09
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Today's Matches
Canada 3 x 0 México
Jana Nejedly (CAN) d. Jessica Fernandez (MEX) – 6/2 6/2
Maureen Drake (CAN) d. Melissa Torres (MEX) – 6/2 6/4
Marie-Eve Pelletier/Vanessa Webb (CAN) d. Karim Palme/Daniela Muńoz (MEX) - 6/1 6/3

:worship: :worship: :worship: They've only lost ONE set this week! :bounce:

coolio3
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:40 AM
alex is still young...and she really only started playing grade A's lately...she hasn't played to many and she has done ok in the ones she has been in...she made it to the quaters at the junior AO and prolly would have made the semis or better but she had a bumed arm and had to serve underhand...alex has also won a B1 tournament which is the next highest kinda of tournament...beier ko made it to a final of a grade A but lost to an amazing player...i think these to will be great one day...i don't think either will be makin noise on the tour for at least a couple of years but watch out for them
i knew that already....... :rolleyes:
but like i said, Beier is no Casanova, and Alex is still
developing.......well, we had Sonya, and we know how that went,
let's see how far Alex can go.....but i wouldnt expect too much though

btw..........Vancouver Canucks rock...:)
i was watching the game @ UBC Bar
and everyone was going crazy on Tue Night,
afer they won the 7th game
so cool.....:D.....they're going all the way

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 26th, 2003, 03:52 AM
lol...I don"t especailly look at hockey!!

As for the Canadian talent, weel I thik we have more players that are impresive than ever on the women side!!! I just hope they grow to their biggest potential!!!

tennisIlove09
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Canada defeated El Salvador 2-0
Jana NEJEDLY (CAN) d. Marcela Ivon RODEZNO HERNANDEZ (ESA) 60 61
Maureen DRAKE (CAN) d. Liz CRUZ (ESA) 60 60
Dead doubles rubber not played

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Still, just ONE set lost all week! Amazing girls!! They finished #1 in their group!

~CANUCK~
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:46 PM
wow girls im really impressed...good job..now hopefully you draw a weak team in the world group playoffs

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Canadians rock!!!!!:bounce:

Hope you get an easier team in round one!!!

~CANUCK~
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:31 PM
yes coz we don't need them to lose 5-0 again like they did last year

coolio3
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:15 AM
hoping they get a bad team..........
quite a few team that lost one sided,
so hoping they make it............
AND WIN FED 2004....
but of course.......one can only dream.:)

tennisIlove09
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Does anyone know who they play?

And does anyone does know if any Canadian's are playing this week?

~CANUCK~
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:53 AM
the fed cup draw will be made on thursday i think...so then we will find out who canada is playing...vanessa webb is playing in a 50k event in Gifu..she is the 4th seed...sonya was playing the 75k qualies in cagnes-sur-mer but she lost in the second round....good luck to webb :bounce:

Randy H
Apr 29th, 2003, 01:35 PM
the Canadian juniors do have some hope, we seem to be getting more and more improved players with each year :)

right now I am really impressed with Aleksandra Wozniak, and I think that she has a lot of potential as long as she can keep improving her game more and more.

Beier has had signs of good things, and has had a few nice wins, but she is still inconsistent, and I am not sure whether she will be able to compete at top 100 level because she is quite small.

Zoricic has some promise, she hits the ball well, but I am not convinced until I see some results from her at ITF level.

Sharon Fichman certainly is looking great already, so hopefully she will continue to succeed as much as she already has. :)

Too bad for Sonya, she fell to Dell'Angelo, who is not in my good books, since she beat Wozniak last week lol. Better luck next time Sonya :)

Vanessa starts off against Jin-Hee Kim in Gifu, she has no points to defend there, so a good chance for her to pick up some points and take some weight off of her shoulders when she has her Fukuoka title points coming off the following week.

Monika Dancevic is in the 10k Pula, Croatia maindraw as a lucky loser. Not sure whether Shulaeva attempted to qualify there (I am assuming she did), but won't know till I see qualifying results. Monika is to face the 2nd seed Virag Nemeth. By no means am I anticipating a win, but I hope Monika will put up a fight at least. :)

Last but not least, big congrats to the Canadian Fed Cup Team - Hopefully they can go a step further than last year, and make it back to the World group :D Not an easy task, as there are a lot of tough teams trying to get there, but they have nothing to lose, and should just go for it. :)

Randy H
Apr 30th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Vanessa has won her first round match against Kim - she next faces Tian Tian Sun of China. The two faced last summer on hardcourts, in which Sun won a very close encounter, but Vanessa seems to be in better form as of late, and hopefully the fact that this is on grass (assuming rain doesn't keep matches indoors), Vanessa should have the upper hand, but who knows. Sun beat Yoshida, who yhas also been in great form lately, so it should be an interesting encounter.

Sonya is the first entry on the 'next in qualifying' list for the 75k St. Gaudens, France challenger coming up soon. She should be there, given she is already in France, and she will be using her injury protected ranking for that event. I have no doubts she will be able to make the qualifying there if she chooses to play. :)

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 30th, 2003, 10:41 PM
Well good uck to all the canadians!!!!

~CANUCK~
May 1st, 2003, 02:56 AM
does anyone know if jana will play RG qualies now that her ranking is high enough?

~CANUCK~
May 1st, 2003, 04:13 AM
webb lost in the second round :sad: :sad: :sad:

~CANUCK~
May 1st, 2003, 04:49 AM
heres an article written by vanessa webb about her fed cup experence
On the road with the Fed Cup team By Vanessa Webb
April 30, 2003

Day 1: Wednesday, April 23, Canada vs. the Bahamas

I arrived in Campinas, Brazil today, three days later then the rest of the Fed Cup team (thanks to a bit of a passport debacle that left me stranded in Mexico), but just in time to see our No.1 player, Maureen (Mo) Drake, finish off her opponent from the Bahamas 6-0, 6-1. Jana Nejedly had set the tone earlier in the day, at the No.2 singles position, beating her opponent by the same score. Jana and Marie-Eve Pelletier followed Mo to complete the sweep, winning the doubles 6-0 6-1. Three games lost in three matches - not a bad start! I, meanwhile, was just happy to be practicing on Brazilian soil.

The highlight of our day (apart from our on-court successes) was our dinner at Montana Grill where, upon arrival, we were each handed a picture of a cow, with its different body parts numbered from 1-27. After we had finished our appetizers, waiters began circling our table in droves, each with a different piece of meat corresponding to a numbered part of the cow. It was like nothing any of us had ever seen! They seemed to return endlessly to our table. The consensus favorite seemed to be the cow’s hump (I kid you not!). Being a vegetarian, I passed on it.

Day 2: Thursday, April 24, Canada vs. Uruguay

Today the matches got a little tougher, but we again came away with a 3-0 sweep. Jana played first, played well, and beat her opponent 6-3, 6-1. Mo played next and used a combination of heavy ground strokes, deft drop shots, and plenty of swing volleys to run her opponent into the ground, 6-2, 6-2. Marie-Eve and I then played the doubles and, despite a small hiccup in the second set, we won 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. We play Mexico tomorrow, the last match in the round robin. This tie should prove to be our toughest so far.

Tonight was the Fed Cup dinner. We were told that dinner would begin between 7:30 and 8:00pm. Slightly familiar with the South American ways, we arrived at 8:15pm and were only the second of the eight teams to arrive! At 9:15, the meal had still not been served. At 9:30, something inedible arrived at the table and us players proceeded back to the hotel to find an alternative meal while the coaches and support staff stayed to make sure Canada was still well represented. It’s now 10:45 and they’re still not back. Something tells me that they’re probably still waiting for dessert....

Day 3: Friday, April 25, Canada vs. Mexico

Today was our toughest test to date and we passed it easily. In our first match of the day, Jana set the tone and played a great match. She beat a good player very handily. Mo followed with a routine singles win and Marie-Eve and I then won our doubles decisively, much improving on our calibre of the day before. Tomorrow, we play El Salvador. A win will mean that we qualify for the next round of Fed Cup (which will hopefully be a home tie) in July. The team feels great- we all actually feel healthier now then we did when we arrived. We have a great physio with us, Marlene Nobrega, who has been a member of the Fed Cup team much longer than any of us players or coaches. None of us know what we would do without her. Ron Mulesa is our massage therapist, who joined the team last year. We have all come to the conclusion that, without a doubt, there is no one better (and occasionally, no one more torturous). Especially during qualifying, when there are a lot of matches to be played, Ron and Marlene work together to make sure that we recover quickly from the day’s matches and are ready for our next ones. We couldn’t do this without them.

Tonight we went back to the “cow” place for dinner. More familiar with the inner-workings of the place now, we were able to slow the procession of meat to the table, allowing us to have a more relaxed, and less frenetic dinner.

Day 4: April 26, Canada vs. El Salvador

We advanced.... in record time. Mo and Jana lost one game combined in two matches, and we defeated El Salvador to advance to the World Group playoff in July. Neither match took more then fifty minutes. After years of really battling through this qualifying (and occasionally coming up just short) it was nice, for once, to have a cakewalk. Now, we all scatter across the globe. Marie Eve is off to France to play a tournament. I’m off to Japan. Jana is playing in the US and Mo returns home for a couple of days before leaving for Berlin. It never ends...

On behalf of the team, I’d like to thank our Captain, Rene Simpson, and Coach, Karl Hale, for a great week. They prepared us well, all the while keeping us amused. Onwards and upwards...

Randy H
May 1st, 2003, 12:31 PM
fantastic report by Vanessa :D thanks for posting that Canuck Fan :D

unfortunately Vanessa lost in straight sets to Tian Tian Sun :( I was hoping she could win that one, but I knew that it could have gone either way. Vanessa now plays in Fukuoka next week where she will try and defend her points as the current champion - Good luck Vanny :D

Monika Dancevic lost in the opening round of 10k Pula, Croatia to 2nd seed Virag Nemeth 6-3, 6-3. A pretty decent effort though, given the calibre of player Virag is. :)

~CANUCK~
May 1st, 2003, 09:15 PM
Aleksandra wozniak lost first round in qualifing this week 6-7(3),6-1 6-3 to kathrin woerle :sad: :sad: :sad:

¤CharlDa¤
May 1st, 2003, 10:25 PM
WOW!!! Vanessa Webb is a veggie..she starts to go up in my fave list!!! Very nice report!!

Well good luck to all of them in every part of the globe !!! you rock girlz!!!!

tennisIlove09
May 1st, 2003, 11:37 PM
thanks for the reports! Vanessa wrote great reports!!

I hope Jana plays Roland Garros--but I'm really concerned about Maureen. She has a lot to defend at Wimbledon.

Randy H
May 2nd, 2003, 03:35 PM
I am fairly sure Jana will play Roland Garros qualifying - she has had some reasonable clay results before, and I also think that considering she is in the later stages of her career, she would enjoy playing as many slams as she can particularly seeing as she is in such great form again :)

Vanessa is in the doubles semifinals with Bryanne Stewart in Gifu, hope they can take the title :)

too bad for Aleksandra, but nice to see she is giving players a run for their money :)

~CANUCK~
May 2nd, 2003, 04:08 PM
This is from the tennis canada website
Canadian Fed Cup team to play Austria in World Group Playoffs

May 01, 2003

Coin toss determines tie will be played in Austria

TORONTO (TC) – Canada’s Fed Cup team will take on Austria in the 2003 World Group Playoffs from July 20-21, Tennis Canada announced today.

The tie – four singles matches and one doubles match – will be held at a site to be determined in Austria. The European country and Canada have played only once before, in 1986 in Czechoslovakia, with Austria winning 3-0. In the most recent International Tennis Federation Fed Cup rankings, Austria is eighth, while Canada is 14th.

Last week, Canada’s Jana Nejedly of Palm Springs, Calif., Maureen Drake and Vanessa Webb of Toronto and Marie-Eve Pelletier of Repentigny, Que., posted a perfect 4-0 record in the American Zone Group I qualifying round to advance to July’s playoff. Led by Captain Rene Simpson, the team – which may change before the next round – seeks to return to the World Group for the first time since 1994.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 4th, 2003, 07:24 PM
RECENT RESULTS

ITF PULA $10,000
Virag Nemeth d. Monika Dancevic(CAN) 6/3 6/3

ITF GIFU $50,000
4-Vanessa Webb(CAN) d. Jin-Hee Kim 6/2 6/3
Tian Tian Sun d. 4-Vanessa Webb(CAN) 6/2 7/6(1)

¤CharlDa¤
May 4th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Good luck this week to all the Canucks! Especailly MArie-Eve!!!

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 5th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Berlin Qualifying

Rossana Neffa De Los Rios d. Maureen Drake 7-5 6-4[/b]

¤CharlDa¤
May 6th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Good luck to MArie-Eve, Diana, JAna, Mélanie and Vanessa this week!

Marie-Eve, beat that glassed-french again!!!

Jana, beat Anna K!!!

Diana and Mélanie,v well do what you can!

And Vanessa, you can win it all!!!!

Randy H
May 6th, 2003, 12:58 PM
tough luck for Maureen, Rossana is a tough player - unfortunately she will drop off quite a few points this week, which will setback her ranking.

Vanessa has a tough draw in Fukuoka, with a potential 2nd round rematch with Tian Tian Sun - depending on how she does this week, she could potentially move up to #1 in Canada, which as far as I can recall, would be a first for her.

Diana, Melanie, and Jana are all in 25k Sea Island this week - Marois vs. Shuai Peng (very tough match for Melanie), Jana vs. Kristina Brandi (also a dangerous match), and Diana vs. Skavronskaia (potentially winnable depending on how Diana plays).

good luck to them all :)

Aneta Soukup-Zahalka also played in the qualifying where she upset 11th seed Deanna Roberta before falling in the final round to Varvara Lepchenko.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 6th, 2003, 04:40 PM
:worship::bounce: GO CANADIANS ! :)

tennisIlove09
May 7th, 2003, 07:18 AM
tough luck for Maureen, Rossana is a tough player - unfortunately she will drop off quite a few points this week, which will setback her ranking.

Vanessa has a tough draw in Fukuoka, with a potential 2nd round rematch with Tian Tian Sun - depending on how she does this week, she could potentially move up to #1 in Canada, which as far as I can recall, would be a first for her.

Diana, Melanie, and Jana are all in 25k Sea Island this week - Marois vs. Shuai Peng (very tough match for Melanie), Jana vs. Kristina Brandi (also a dangerous match), and Diana vs. Skavronskaia (potentially winnable depending on how Diana plays).

good luck to them all :)

Aneta Soukup-Zahalka also played in the qualifying where she upset 11th seed Deanna Roberta before falling in the final round to Varvara Lepchenko.

Wouldn't it be great if Jana and Kournikova were in the finals--and Jana won! :bounce: :bounce:

I think Brandi is dangerous too, but Jana has been playing SO well this year.

**Sorry if I ramble too much about Jana, she's my #1 Canadian** :hearts: :hearts:

~CANUCK~
May 7th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Jana and Kournikova were in the finals--and Jana won! :bounce: :bounce:

I think Brandi is dangerous too, but Jana has been playing SO well this year.

**Sorry if I ramble too much about Jana, she's my #1 Canadian** :hearts: :hearts:

hey don't worry about rambling about jana...she is great...but sadly she got her ass kicked by brandi...oh well better luck next week jana we still love you :hearts:

¤CharlDa¤
May 8th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Mélanie lost after bageling Oeng in the firt..that is bad..good luck next time!

tennisIlove09
May 8th, 2003, 06:31 AM
What was the score between Jana and Brandi? :sad: :sad: :sad:

~CANUCK~
May 8th, 2003, 06:37 PM
she lost 6-2 6-1

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 10th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Canadian Results this week

ITF Saint-Gaudens $75,000

(Singles Main Draw)
Stephanie Foretz d. Marie-Eve Pelletier 6/3 6/3
(Singles Qualifying)
Gabriela Lastra d. Sonya Jeyaseelan 6/3 6/3

(Doubles Main Draw)
Foretz/Pelletier d. Grandin/Grant 6/1 7/5
Koulikovskaya/Perebiynis d. Foretz/Pelletier 6/3 6/3
--------
Jeyaseelan/Vento-Kabchi d. Liggan/Parra 5/7 6/4 6/3
Jeyaseelan/VentoKabchi d. Barabanschikova/Ostrovskaya 6/4 4/6 6/3
Poutchek/Rodionova d. Jeyaseelan/Vento 6/2 4/6 6/1

ITF Fukuoka $50,000

(Singles Main Draw)
Vanessa Webb d. Su-Wei Hsieh 7/6 6/3
Tian Tian Sun d. Vanessa Webb 6/4 6/1

(Doubles Main Draw)
Webb/Stewart d. Okamoto/Takase 6/2 6/4
Jeon/Kim d. Webb/Stewart 6/2 6/7 6/3

ITF Sea Island $25,000

(Singles Main Draw)
Shuai Peng d. Melanie Marois 0/6 6/2 6/3
----
Lioudmila Skavronskaia d. Diana Srebovic 6/2 6/1
----
Kristina Brandi d. Jana Nejedly 6/2 6/1

(Singles Qualifying)
Aneta Soukup-Zahalka d. Deanna Roberts 4/6 6/2 6/4
Varvara Lepchenko d. Aneta Soukup-Zahalka 6/4 6/3

(Doubles Main Draw)
Marois/Schlukebir d. Alves/Rampre 6/3 7/6
----
Srebovic/Cohen d. Mattek/Osterloh 1/6 6/2 7/6

(Doubles Qualifying)
Cohen/Srebovic d. Barr/McGlennen 4-0 4-1
Cohen/Srebovic d. Almeda-Singian/Skavronskaia 4-1 5-4
----
Almeda-Singian/Skavronskaia d. Soukup-Zahalka/Krastevitch 5-3 4-2

tennisIlove09
May 13th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Let's Talk Tennis on TV in Canada.

Sportsnet has officially stopped showing any tennis. TSN only shows men's events [except Slams, Miami, Indian Wells, Canadian]

So, what's our option? Is WTSN worth the extra cash? I've called my local cable company--Shaw--and they know nothing about the Tennis channel.

Suggestions

~CANUCK~
May 13th, 2003, 09:15 PM
i think we are out of luck...sportnet used to show tennis all the time...why did they stop? I wish we could get the tennis channel...we can get the golf channel and the racing channel so why not the tennis channel...life is so unfair :sad:

¤CharlDa¤
May 13th, 2003, 09:50 PM
yes it is!!!!

Well good luck this week for Mélanie ( who won agasint the 8th seed!!!) and Diana is Charlottsburg!!!

Good luck gals!

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 13th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I think WTSN is worth getting. when ESPN shows BIG Womens Events WTSN does. WTSN also shows lower tiers(2 weeks later) like croatian bol(on next sunday). They also for grand slams put all of the womens matches for the day in 2-3 hours at night :)

tennisIlove09
May 15th, 2003, 07:26 AM
I guess I will consider getting it. I know last year they showed some of the Canadian Open when TSN had to show Golf

Jordan.
May 15th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Hi everyone! :wavey: (Go Maureen!! ;))

I was wondering, if any of you had WTSN, could you please, please, please tape the coverage of Bol yall are getting this weekend? I really want to see my favorite (Vera Zvonareva) win her first title, and I never get to see her play much! :( I would appreciate it soooooooo much! Thanks! :)

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 17th, 2003, 01:22 PM
I dont think theyre showin it now. it doesnt say it anymore on the sked.

tennisIlove09
May 19th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Anyone know the latest of Canadian Tennis this week?

tennisIlove09
May 22nd, 2003, 07:33 AM
Roland Garros is Canadian-less

all the gals lost opening round of qualifying :sad:

Jie Zheng (CHN) def. 11- Maureen Drake (CAN) 6-3 6-4
18- Renata Voracova (CZE) def. Jana Nejedly (CAN) 6-4 6-2
Melinda Czink (HUN) def. 19- Vanessa Webb (CAN) 6-4 6-1
Edina Gallovits (ROM) def. Marie-Eve Pelletier (CAN) 6-1 6-2

Randy H
May 23rd, 2003, 02:57 PM
disappointing Canadian results :(

tough draws for Nejedly, Webb, and Pelletier in particular, Jana was the only one who made it pretty close really (lots of close games, but unable to capitalize unfortunately).

Really though Mo would beat Jie, but wasn't meant to be this time :sad: Hopefully she can look forward to a bit of a rest and be well prepared to kick some butt for Birmingham, Eastbourne, and Wimbledon :D

~CANUCK~
May 24th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Sonya won the doubles title in strasbourg...im so happy for her...she needed to get some confidence back...hopefully she can do some damaga now in RG doubles

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 24th, 2003, 10:19 PM
wahooo sonya :bounce:

tennisIlove09
May 25th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Congrats Sonya!!

I hope Maureen gets it together...she has a lot to defend at Wimbledon

¤CharlDa¤
May 25th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Congrats Sonya :bounce:

After all you have been through, it is completely deserved!!!

~CANUCK~
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:54 AM
man did our canadians ever suck at RG this year...even the juniors did horrible...and my fav alex didn't even play...i think she must be hurt coz she play the 2 warm up tounrment and then withdrew from RG...clay is not our surface...hopefully they can do better on grass

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Good luck Mélanie in Hitlon head where she is the first seed!

She won her first round match, so good luck in all the tourney!!!

Randy H
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I think Melanie will go up to Canada next week to play the 25k event in Hamilton :)

She is the top seed this week, but I think the field here is much more competitive than the tournament in Mont Tremblant, so maybe she wanted some tougher opponents to prepare for the 25k?

Anyway, Melanie won in straight sets to reach the quarterfinals. She next plays Allison Bradshaw, who was briefly inside the top 100 about 2 years ago until her form dropped, she lost confidence and was out of shape etc. She is still a good player though when she is playing good so I think Melanie will need to watch out for her, but hopefully she will play a solid match and make it through to the semifinals :)

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Well good luck Mélanie!!! I wish her the best!!!! She owrked so ahrd ofr it...:bounce:

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Hey guys!!!! Post number 100 in this thread!! Yay to Canadian tennis!!!!

Randy H
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Happy 100th Post :D

Go Canada :D

Randy H
Jun 8th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Good news and bad news...

good news is that Melanie did beat Bradshaw in the quarters, winning in 3 sets (6-0 in the third ;))

bad news is that she fell in the semifinals to Ludmila Richterova in 3 sets :(

still not a bad effort from Melanie, and Richterova is a former top 100 player aswell before facing some injuries and eventually retiring for a while.

hopefully Melanie can keep winning and defend all her summer points! :)

TS
Jun 8th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Vanessa is in the qualifying round in Birmingham but I believe plays Vinci who is playing some good tennis on the grass.

Vanessa needs to get her ass in gear as her ranking could be in jeopardy after Eastbourne :o But she missed Wimbledon last year right? (due to Eastbourne) so no points to defend there :)

Randy H
Jun 8th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Yes, Vanessa hasn't been in the best of form sicne her nice start to the season unfortunately - Thankfully she got a win over Janes today, but Vinci s going to be a tough opponent if she doesn't pick up her form a bit.

I'll be very surprised if Vanny equals her performance at Eastbourne this year, but I won't be too upset as long as she can defend some of it at Birmingham, and hopefully have a decent run at Wimbledon (would love to see her finally make the maindraw there!)

Go Vanessa :D

Randy H
Jun 8th, 2003, 10:57 PM
well unfortunately Vanny went down to Vinci in Birmingham, she got a tough section of the draw though :(

on a potentially better note, Vanny is the next player in as a lucky loser, so in case someone should pull out for some reason, she will be into the maindraw :)

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 9th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Well I hope Mélanie continue to play that way and win in Hamilton where whe is the third seed...

Well good luck Vanessa ...You rock on grass girl!

polishprodigy
Jun 11th, 2003, 02:07 AM
WOOOH! I LOVE THIS THREAD! IT SHOULD BE MADE ITS OWN THOUGH :mad:

polishprodigy
Jun 11th, 2003, 02:10 AM
How about that She balls campaign, sounds pretty exciting.....

I think its the women's version of new balls please for the men. i'm really excited about the future of canadian women's tennis as there are many bright stars for the future who are already making themselves known (ie. Shulaeva, Marois, Pelletier, Ko)

Frank_Rulez
Jun 12th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Fed Cup is coming up........:)
good luck to the Canadian girls.....

btw, in a few weeks, i'll be going
to 25K event in Vancouver.....:)
hopefully there are some good matchups
there for me to see.....:D

polishprodigy
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:35 PM
We Need Our Own Thread!

polishprodigy
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Maureen Drake qualified for the Wimbledon MD :D She joins Frederic Neimeyer as the only Canadian players in the Main draw in singles!

Plus, Canada has two doubles entrants in the main draw of doubles in Sonya/Dhenin and Craybas/Webb! :D :D :D

Let's hope we can reach R2 !

~CANUCK~
Jun 21st, 2003, 12:23 AM
nice to see mo playing well at wimby again this year...and in my opinion if she is on her game she can make the 3rd round there...go for it mo u have nothing to lose...except all the points from last year :rolleyes:

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:51 AM
nice to see mo playing well at wimby again this year...and in my opinion if she is on her game she can make the 3rd round there...go for it mo u have nothing to lose...except all the points from last year :rolleyes:

LOL...

We I am very happy for Niemeyer!!! What a great opportunity! And I think he has one of the best places to be in the main draw, playijg vs a typical clay courter! Go Fred!!!!

And too bad Mélanie lost in Dallas today :sad: God luck next time!

polishprodigy
Jun 30th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Niemeyer lost a tough one in the 2R, but a great result for him nonetheless.

Daniel/Sonya won their r1 match! :D Jill/Webb lost in 2R but that is ok, winning round 1 was good enough. :) Lovro/Webb lost in mixed r1 :( :o

fan22
Jul 20th, 2003, 08:08 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2003-07-19T145852Z_01_NEU58D_RTRIDSP_2_TENNIS.jpg
Marie-Eve Pelletier of Canada returns a ball to Barbara Schett of Austria during their Federation Cup relegation match in the small Austrian village
of Neudoerfl, July 19, 2003. REUTERS/Robert Zolles

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2003-07-19T150707Z_01_NEU57D_RTRIDSP_2_TENNIS.jpg
Marie-Eve Pelletier of Canada returns a ball during her Federation Cup relegation match against Barbara Schett of Austria in the small Austrian village of Neudoerfl July 19, 2003. REUTERS/Robert Zolles

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 21st, 2003, 05:13 PM
Well great fight by the canadian girls, especially Marie-Eve who was impressive in those two matches vs higher ranked player! Good luck this week in Innsbruck Marie-Eve!!!

beauty_is_pink
Jul 24th, 2003, 02:26 AM
hey!! :wavey:

this is a great idea Randy!!! we need to be MORE suppportive in Canadian Sports.... tho we might not rule in tennis... one things for sure: we kick ass in hockey!!! :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 24th, 2003, 03:13 AM
lol...Hi pinky :wavey:

Finally you are here!!!! I was waiting for you since the start of that thread :rolleyes: :p

Well we rock in Hockey and in diving too!!! WOW two Canadians (and quebecers:p) being 10 meters tower world champion is a great accomplishment!!!

beauty_is_pink
Jul 24th, 2003, 04:47 PM
lol...Hi pinky :wavey:

Finally you are here!!!! I was waiting for you since the start of that thread :rolleyes: :p

Well we rock in Hockey and in diving too!!! WOW two Canadians (and quebecers:p) being 10 meters tower world champion is a great accomplishment!!!
well im always at the CP.. lol so i never browse around alot...!
sorri.. :o
lol

anyways.. lalalala cant wait till Rogers CUp!!!! :bounce:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 26th, 2003, 05:11 PM
50k Innsbruck,Austria

Singles Main Draw
1st Round
Sandra Kloesel(GER) def. Marie Eve Pelletier(CAN) 6-2 6-3

Doubles Main Draw
1st Round
Pelletier/Schruff def. Haidner/Schneider 6-2 6-4
2nd Round
Vinci/Zaric def. Pelletier/Schruff 6-0 6-1

50k Lexington,United States

Qualifying Singles
1st Round
Emily Webley Smith(GBR) def. Beier Ko(CAN) 6-4 6-2

Singles Main Draw
1st Round
Samantha Stosur(AUS) def. Melanie Marois(CAN) 6-4 7-6(4)

Doubles Main Draw
1st Round
Sewell/Van den Hurk def. Marois/Schlukebir 6-3 6-3

10k Evansville,United Staes

Singles Main Draw
1st Round
Jennifer Magley(USA) def. Karine Ionesco(CAN) 6-2 6-3

Tier II Bank of the West Classic Stanford,United States

Qualifying Singles
1st Round
Gabriela Lastra(USA) def. Aneta Soukup-Zahalka(CAN) 6-1 6-2

Qualifying Doubles
2nd Round
Mikaelian/Vakulenko def. Soukup-Zahalka/Snyder 9-7

Doubles Main Draw
1st Round
Bartoli/Jidkova def. Soukup-Zahalka/Snyder 6-4 6-3

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Well Toronto started today!!!! We will have lots of Canucks to cheer on!!!! Go to all of them especially the Quebecoises!!!

~CANUCK~
Aug 11th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Well Toronto started today!!!! We will have lots of Canucks to cheer on!!!! Go to all of them especially the Quebecoises!!!

yes i agree go m-e melanie and beier...but lets also cheer on mo coz she is great...she is so funny

justinDisco
Sep 8th, 2003, 10:08 PM
does anyone know about the schedules of the canadian women for the fall? I hope Maureen can get back to the top 100 and I haven't heard much about Sonya Jeyaseelan lately. Where is she?
thanks

Monsters
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:00 PM
does anyone know about the schedules of the canadian women for the fall? I hope Maureen can get back to the top 100 and I haven't heard much about Sonya Jeyaseelan lately. Where is she?
thanks
for some reason, top Canadian players tend to become double's specialist,
we did win that gold medal in Sydney after all:D :worship: :worship: :D
she just lost in Leipzig, in doubles of course......
obviously no one cares:)

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:33 PM
OK we need to make this thread to be alive again...What to say about our Canadians...Not much...Mélanie is doing great...Dubois and Wozniak are doing good in Juniors...

But what's wrong with Marie-Eve?

~CANUCK~
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:24 PM
sonya qualified in linz this week :banana:

Tennis_IS_Fun
Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:03 AM
sonya qualified in linz this week :banana:
that was close:(
but still nice job, hopefully this will get her a WC into Quebec:D
cant wait for the WC for that tournament,
do they go for youngsters or veterans????

~CANUCK~
Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:43 PM
that was close:(
but still nice job, hopefully this will get her a WC into Quebec:D
cant wait for the WC for that tournament,
do they go for youngsters or veterans????

um the wcs went to marie-eve and meli marois..i think there is one left but im not sure

justinDisco
Nov 15th, 2003, 10:08 PM
So what does everyone think about the Canadians in 2003??? Here's what I think:
Best singles player-Maureen Drake
Best doubles player-Sonya Jeyaseelan
Best comeback-Sonya Jeyaseelan
Most improved-Stephanie Dubois
Biggest disappointment-Marie-Eve Pelletier
The Future-Stephanie Dubois, Beier Ko

Last question-who do you think will be the top ranked Canadian at the end of next year? I think it will be Maureen Drake again. No one is even close to her.
I hope to see some responses.

Randy H
Nov 16th, 2003, 07:29 AM
IMO, I would say:

Best singles player: Easily Maureen, aside from Vanessa she is the only player who even won a WTA Tour maindraw match all year, she is well above the rest of the pack right now.

Best doubles player: Sonya Jeyaseelan - A bit of a disappointing last couple months of doubles for Sonya but she won a title in Strasbourg with Matevzic and overall a pretty good effort finishing up in the top 100 :)

Best comeback: Sonya Jeyaseelan - Not really any significant 'comebacks' really, but considering this was Sonya's first full season back since all the injury trouble and medical problems, I would say that in itself is a great comeback.

Most improved player: Melanie Marois - I chose Melanie because she had a nice jump this year from outside the top 300, up nearly 100 spots and very close to grand slam qualifying contention. She has moved up from 10k level to someone who is expected to win 25k matches, and even had a couple strong 50k results too. I also think she deserves it for her great doubles season, she has really moved up nicely and could end up sneaking into the Australian Open with Augustus.

Biggest disappointment: Marie-Eve Pelletier - Unfortunate drop in ranking, didn't win a WTA maindraw match this year, and failed to overcome her seemingly neverending nerves. Has the potential to do more, so definitely a disappointment that she took a step back this season.

The Future: Stephanie Dubois - Stephanie really impressed me this year and surprised me. The year before I felt her game was consistent but lacking in weapons, and this year she really improved on that and showed more potential in her game and desire to win than any of the other junior girls I saw this year. Promising results against many talented players, hopefully she can continue to gain confidence and move forward.

Next year, I think that Maureen is most likely to finish at the top again. As I said before, she is just above the rest of the Canadian girls right now, and it's really going to be up to the younger girls to bring things to another level in their games and show that there are top 100 potential players after the last of the 'older' guard are gone (Maureen and Sonya).

Best of luck to Maureen at the Hopman Cup in 2004, and to all of the Canadian girls! :D

Also, farewell to Vanessa Webb, Jana Nejedly, and Renata Kolbovic. Their experience on the tour will surely be missed by the other Canadian hopefuls, and I am sure they will be missed by many of Canadian tennis fans who have seen them amongst the top of the sport in Canada for many years now.

:wavey:

~CANUCK~
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Best singles player-Maureen Drake..had an ok year. Played well at wimby again.
Best doubles player-Sonya Jeyaseelan
Best comeback-Sonya Jeyaseelan..she still has the game to be top 100 as she proved by qualifing at linz i think it was and by almost beating bartoli.
Most improved-Stephanie Dubois/meli marois...both players have done a good job this year of improving results from last year.
Biggest disappointment-Marie-Eve Pelletier..she just sucked this year...she has the game to be top 100 but she just can't stop pissing matches away. Like how many times has she killed the person in the first set and be leading in the second and then something snaps and she loses.
The Future-Stephanie Dubois, Sharon Fichman and alez wozniak

Next year if Mo sticks through the whole year she will be top ranked. If she quits after olympics then pelletier will be ranked highest, but that will be sad coz her rank will prolly be like 180.

canuckfan
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Best single player: Drake, only one to have multi wta wins this year.

Best double player: Marois. She's not ranked that far behind from Sonya and she got there by playing only in ITF events, As for Sonya, she played on the big tour. I know Sonya won a tournament but I think Marois was solid all year in double. And Marois wasn't playing with Matevzic.

Best comeback: Sonya, she was the only one who made some sort of a comeback.

Most improved player: Steph Dubois. One year ago she was « some junior ». Now she's the best junior in the contry and probably the second best senior behind Drake. Honorable mention to Marois. I never tought she would do anything professionnaly and she proves me wrong. She's a young solid double player and has a decent single ranking. She's doing better than she did in juniors.

Biggest disappointment: So many!!! All the ones who retired. Marie-Eve Pelletier: she's back where she was 3 years ago, at least she won't have many points to defend next year. Beier Ko: One year ago her future looked so bright, but she had a terrible junior year, with very bad loss all over. I think she regressed this year. She had some good pro tournament but nothing spectacular. Wozniak doesn't seem to have progressed too...

The Future: Dubois: she's the biggest fighter of all the young one, she has a lot of heart. She didn't have many bad loss this year and had great wins (Dominikovic, Kutuzova, Bondarenko, Fuda, Gojnea,...)I think next year she'll learn to win tight matches. She will be top 10 junior and top 150 pro.
Sharon Fichman: Ok she's 12 years old but she's at the top of the world in her age group. All by herself she led Canada to 3rd in the U14 team world championship (winning all her matches). But she has a questionnable schedule (u18 Eddy Herr...)...
E. Shueleva: Don't know why but I always tought she was really good. She won all her single matches at the junior fed cup. She is just not playing enough (almost no junior tournaments even if she had good results in the ones she entered). She only plays circuit Canada events (very weak field). Does anybody know why? Is it a money problem?

Next year: Dubois will be the highest ranked canadian. Drake will drop out of the top 150. Marie-Eve will comeback to the top 150. Marois will stay where she is. Fichman will be a top 30 junior at only 13 years old.

~CANUCK~
Nov 21st, 2003, 03:20 PM
How come we still don't have our own forum for canadian tennis?

Randy H
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:41 PM
we're not special :sad: lol

~CANUCK~
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:21 PM
i guess we are not loved :sad:

Randy H
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:05 AM
Seeing as there are only a few more weeks of tournaments left with Canadians playing (Palm Beach certainly, and then junior competitions), I figured I would ask everyone to talk a bit more specifically about your favourite Canadian players. I am sure it must be hard to choose one over the other as they are all great ;) But, I think it would be neat to see who everyone's top 5 or so players are. You can name active or retired players in your list :D

~CANUCK~
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:39 AM
hmm top 5 ok

1)sonya-she is the reason i really started following tennis. I happened to catch her match against spirlea at the canadian open on tv and since then ive been a fan.
2)Mo drake-This girl just cracks me up. The quotes that people have from her are so funny. And she has pretty much carried canadian tennis for the last 2-3 years.
3)Alez wozniak-Don't really know a whole lot about her except that she is great. I have big hopes for her. I hope she will have a great career.
4)Jana nedjdly-I always liked the way she played. Even though in the end it just looked like she didn't care anymore.
5)Marie-Eve-Prolly the best looking tennis player out there :hearts:I hope she can find her game and confidence soon

Randy H
Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:35 AM
thanks for that list :D all great reasons for loving our Canadians ;)

here is my list:

1. Maureen Drake - This was a very close choice, but I really had to go with Maureen because I admire that she has stuck through her tennis career even through a lot of hardships not getting the full support of Tennis Canada many times, and battling through her demons to make a pretty decent career for herself, especially her great 1999 season and her string of success at Wimbledon in recent years. She's also got a lot of personality, a great entertainer out there and what boosts her to #1 is the fact that she is such a down to earth and very likeable person off-court. Always willing to chat to the fans, and she talks to everyone as if you were a great friend. Also truly appreciates the support of her fans, and many people are not like that.

2. Sonya Jeyaseelan - Another person with so much energy and personality, how can you not love her! ;) To me, Sonya is like Tennis Canada's 'darling', she has had so many ups and downs, but in recent years she has probably had the most high profile moments, and the energy she brings to her matches really draws in the fans and she is able to pull them behind her. She always wears her emotions on her sleeve and her game is definitely fun.

3. Jana Nejedly - Jana is almost the opposite to the first two, she is more quiet, and she has a natural sort of non-chalant attitude out there, but she definitely cares and tries. Maybe not as much high profile success, but certainly her consistency is admirable, and I really just enjoyed her game because she made it look so effortless.

4. Vanessa Webb - I always liked watching Vanessa play, because her style is so rare to see and she is definitely a fiesty competitor. I think she always seemed to ahve an attitude where she put it on the line out there and was going to play her game no matter what and fight it out. I also think it is great that she was smart enough to play NCAA college tennis, and had so much academic success, it's rare to find a pro player who also has that academic achievement behind them and it is clear that she is a very determined and hard working person. :)

5. Marie-Eve Pelletier - Marie-Eve probably has the potential to move up higher in my list over time, she is definitely someone who can bring out the highs and lows of feeling with her results! I think she has come out of her shell more, showing more fire out there whichis great. Now she just needs to overcome that fear of losing and just go for it. She has the potential to do even better and hopefully it will not take her too much longer to fully realize that herself.

also notable - Diana Srebrovic, Stephanie Dubois, and Melanie Marois ;)

Alek
Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Nancy Loeffler-Caro - She seems too nice, even if she is old and never wins I admire her. Viva Nancy!

Sonya Jeyaseelan - I have only seen her once but she is very cute, I liked her game and her grunts.

Vanessa Webb - Also only seen her once but I liked her, she always seemed to make it but somehow choked sometimes :sad: but still I liked her.

Maureen Drake - :cool: She's simply Maureen, she seems so cool and when people describe her to be such a cool person that I like her :p

Jana Nejedly

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:00 AM
[QUOTE=Randy H]IMO, I would say:

Best singles player: Well I think no one is close to MAureen result wise, though talent wise she is not the best opf the group...

Best doubles player: For me it is between Sonya and Mélanie...Yes Sonya had great results but Mel went up like 200 ranks and is close to the top 100 now...I think she had a great doubles years with Amanda...

Best comeback: Sonya Jeyaseelan - Of course...Very inspiring...

Most improved player: It'S between Mélanie and Stephanie....Il lgo with weel cause in double snad singles she wnet up about 100 spots...I think Steph will be next year's ;)

Biggest disappointment: Marie-Eve Pelletier - Well of course it is MArie-Eve, though her year wasn't that bad...I think all of it stopped after her To lost to Mashona....

The Future: Stephanie Dubois - That girl is great....I saw her play in Quebe ccity and she ahs everything to be the next big Canadian....Also Aelkzandra Wozniak who sadly had an injury this year...she is one year younger that steph and has as much potential. Same with Beir but I think this girl misses the killer instinc steph has.

I think next year will be strange...I don't think Maureen will finsih the best, i think she will not play as many matches as the other years...With Marie-Eve haviong nothing to defend at the end of the year, why not her...of maybe mel or steph...who knows!

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:07 AM
OK her eis my top 5....

1. MArie-Eve....She is really beautiful and so friendly! I took a pic with her and she was great...She has the talent to be top 100, and I'm sure someday shell have the results to prove it.

2. Steph Dubois....That girl really impresses me. She ahs all the tools to be top 50 and is having a court anticipation like it is rarely seen...

3. Méalnie MArois..She is from my home club, she says hi everytime I see her...She hits really hard and when she will get used to her power, she will be great!

4. Alekzandra Wozniak....I was impressed with that girl when at 13 or 14 she went in the third round of Quebec city qualifying...Sadly she had some injuries all the year...

5...It is really between anybody...I think Ill go with Tania Rice! I was impressed when she was able to do a 7-5 agianst MAshona at only 13-14!!! This girl has potential!

Randy H
Nov 25th, 2003, 01:20 AM
thanks cdpoulin :D a fan of the younger girls I see ;)

I read a little while back that Tania Rice has made big improvements in her game - Apparently she used to be a very defensive player who basically had no weapon but consistency and then decided to work with a coach to be much more aggressive and change her style and it seems to be paying off for her :)

polishprodigy
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:30 AM
I really like Stephanie,I think she has enormous potential.

Aleksandra is a big-hitter, another promising one.

i used to be a big fan of marie-eve but she chokes a lo tnow and her game is so-so. When she played against mashona in toronto and choked and lost, I wasnt impressed at all with her play. she is gorgeous, but i hope she really improves her game.

Melanie has potential too, i hope she does well in singles in bigger events.

polishprodigy
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Oh and good luck to Nancy and Shivani!

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Yes Randy, I am a fan of the younger girls...I hink they are one of the best generation of girls' tennis we had....And they are the same age as me so it will be interesting to follow tehm while they grow up!

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 28th, 2003, 02:43 AM
About Tania Rice, to be honest, before Quebec I had seen her name but didn't care...But in Quebec where she just killed Aneta ( ;) ) and then did a great job agaisnt Mashona I started to look for her stats...When i saw she was so young, i knew she had potential!

Randy H
Dec 1st, 2003, 03:08 PM
Unfortunate results in the qualifying for 50k USTA Palm Beach Gardens qualifying this week.

Diana Srebrovic, seeded 8th lost in 3 sets to Anne Tachkevetadze of Russia. Unfortunate draw as she is a very promising player and certainly one of the toughest unseeded players to have faced.

Beier Ko lost also in 3 sets, to 7th seed Vavina Garcia Sokol. Too bad, I felt Beier could have won this match but not to be this time.

Erica Biro was also a 1st round casualty losing in 3 sets to Leticia Sobral. Another disappointing loss, but Erica seems to be a pretty up and down player with her results. All in all she has had a pretty good year though, considering she started the season without even having a rank!

Maureen, Marie-Eve, and Melanie should all (hopefully) be in the maindraw :) Hopefully the results will go their way!

Randy H
Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:45 PM
Main draw is now out, unfortunately Melanie is not in the draw :( I really hoped she would play this last event and try and better her chances of reaching the Australian Open qualifying. I twill be interesting to see if she decides to travel there and see if she can make it, I think that there is still a chance and certainly a chance in doubles so hopefully she will try and sneak in :)

Maureen starts against Kelly McCain. Kelly has been in pretty good form recently, but hopefully Maureen will be able to get the win.

Marie-Eve has a tougher draw against Marta Marrero. On clay this is going to be a potentially difficult opponent, but hopefully Marie-Eve has been training hard and will fight knowing she has nothing to lose in this match :)

Randy H
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:08 PM
and the tournament sees all singles players from Canada out already...

Drake lost in 2, Pelletier in 3...

Just a terrible week here for all the Canadians, 5 and not one could win a match :rolleyes:

canuckfan
Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:29 AM
Ok Pelletier and Drake lost again, so let's talk about the not so distant future: Sharon Fichman. I'm still amazed about her win today. She almost double-bageled the 35th junior in the world who happens to be 3 years older than her. I checked Kudryavtseva record and it's her worst loss in the last 2 years.

Does anyone have seen her play? She seems to be quite small (wich is normal for a 13 years old). Judging by her comments, she seems to be a Hingis like type of player who play smart tennis.

It's sad that she could play Vaidisova in the round of 16 but it could be the first match of a long rivality between two of the most promising stars in women tennis...

Here's a article on her win today:

In girl's 18 action, 12 year old qualifier, Sharon Fichman brushed past 9th seeded Russian, Alla Kudryavtseva in an impressive, 6-0; 6-1. "I had 40 love but let it go," said Sharon, annoyed with herself for being broken and allowing her opponent one solitary game. "The wind changed and she started playing a bit better, so I knew I had to raise my level a little bit and try to finish it off."

How did Sharon win so easily? "Well, I knew she was a really big hitter and I knew that if I tried to out rally her it would be dreadful. I don't think I would have won, so what I thought was I had to place the ball, push her back and try to play the wind smart. I kinda broke her mentally and she was getting upset. I pulled through his one because I was more mentally tough and I was smarter."

The diminutive Canadian player thinks she has a lot of growing to do, but mentally she has more poise and maturity than many girls her age. She says she is "barely 5' 2" but she has analyzed the pros and cons of height advantage. "It's not that much of a difference if you are faster," she explained. "You make up for your height by running faster and running the balls down."

Sharon won the 2002 Eddie Herr girls 12s championship, in singles and doubles and capped off the year with a 12s singles trophy at the Junior Orange Bowl. Still only 12, she will celebrate her 13th birthday tomorrow, but she will have more than a birthday on her mind. First thing in the morning she faces Liset Brito from Chile, who outlasted American, Taka Bertrand in a long three setter.

"I am just going out here for fun, for the competition and stuff, and no matter how I do tomorrow I will always be content with myself," Sharon said. "As long as I try my best I am going to be happy."

~CANUCK~
Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:55 AM
yeah im so impressed by sharon. I really didn't think she could win this match. I thought she would put up a fight. But omg to almost double bagel her just by simply using her brain. I think we have a good one here. Everyone was saying it was a bad idea for her to play U 18 well she proved us all wrong. This kid can obviously play. I can't wait till she is 16-17-18 she is gonna be something special for canada.

Randy H
Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:00 AM
What a great week it has been for Sharon, everytime I hear quotes from her she sounds so mature. She really doesn't get too full of herself, she knows how to stay realistic, not put too much pressure on herself, and seems like a very intelligent player. I am very impressed with her!

The win over Kudryavtseva is a great win - Alla has beaten the likes of Kutuzova, Bondarenko, and Lukic all this year, so it's obvious she herself has some talent. I think regardless of how Sharon does during the rest of the tournament (though 3rd round would be nice ;)), it's a very big success for her this week. I too thought playing the U18's was going to be a poor decision on her part but she obviously showed that she knows where she is at right now and is not only capable of hanging with the girls at this level, but beating them too.

Kepp going Sharon :D

~CANUCK~
Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:53 PM
Sharon won again. Im loving this kid more and more. I hope she puts up a great fight tomorrow. Maybe even win the match.

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 4th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Yeah great week for the canadians! Three of them in the round of sixteen!

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 4th, 2003, 02:12 AM
I think our tennis future seems brighter after every tournament....With the ornage bowl coming, and Sharon, Katarina and Steph doing great in this one, I think everything is possible....

Alekz and Tania and Beier could be added to them....Those girls really will make canada go up a notch in women's tennis!

Randy H
Dec 4th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Solid wins for Sharon, Kat, and Steph to get into the 3rd round! :D

Sharon may have it tough against Vaidisova, Nicole is also very young and with a lot of talent. Regardless of how she does, this has been her week and I am sure she has turned plenty of heads over there!

Katarina and Steph are both seeded as the underdogs, Zoricic has an easier opponent with Gojnea, but IMO Steph is more talented and certainly has the chance to beat Marcio is she plays well. Hopefully we can see some Canadians through to the quarterfinals :)

In doubles great nws as Beetham/Tetreault, Fichman/Gloria, and Dubois/Zoricic all came through today to move into the next round :D

~CANUCK~
Dec 4th, 2003, 06:07 PM
sharnon lost today but still a great week for her. Im so happy for her. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Kat also lost today. But steff won.

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 4th, 2003, 10:27 PM
YeahSteph really is showing she can play with the big guns..She will face Bohmova whom she already bea tthis year...

Though draws for Fichman and Zoricic...

In doubles Kat/Steph won pretty easily, same with Fichman/Gloria...

Sadly for Tetreault/Beetham they lost 6-1 6-0 to the frist seeds!

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 4th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Sorry, it seems like she enver beat ehr....This week will be the first ;)

Randy H
Dec 5th, 2003, 07:52 AM
decent effort for Sharon against Nicole who is also very talented and has a lot more experience right now at the bigger level. keep up the great work!

Hoped Kat could make it a bit tougher but wasnt going to be easy. At least held seed :)

Nice win for Stephanie, I expected a tougher scoreline from Marcio so a solid effort, now hope she can beat Bohmova too ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 6th, 2003, 08:17 PM
I also think Steph is more talented than those girls...She ahs the vision on court, it was the thing that impressed me when i saw her play...

Wozniak also hits the ball really hard, she jsut had injuries...She is 1 year younger than the other girls so we will see...Still great future!

~CANUCK~
Dec 6th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Ya from the reports and stuff that ive heard steff is prolly the best junior at the moment. That crown should most likely go to Alex though. She is the more talented one from what ive heard, She just keeps getting injuried. Its great though that we can accually talk about our girls being good for a change. Hopefully they continue to be great when they hit the WTA.

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 8th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Lost of Canucks playing this week too in two different tournies!!!

Good luck to them all!

~CANUCK~
Dec 8th, 2003, 09:03 PM
sharon won her first round match at the price cup..way to go keep it up

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 9th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Congrats Sharon! Win it all!

patricktav2003
Dec 9th, 2003, 02:42 AM
come on SHARON!!!

Randy H
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:00 AM
way to go Sharon :D

with the way she performed at Eddie Herr, I really think she has a good chance to go far here :)

Stephanie Wetmore also advanced in singles, and they will play together in the doubles :D

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 9th, 2003, 04:50 PM
They have a great shot in doubles....

Bad draw for the Canucks in the IWnter Champs 18 and under though...

Steph could be agaisnt Emma laine, Katarina against the sixth seed and Alekz agasint the third!

~CANUCK~
Dec 9th, 2003, 07:16 PM
well sharon won again today but steff w lost

Hawk
Dec 9th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Hey I just noticed we had a Canadian tennis thread :o Can't believe I never saw this before :p

~CANUCK~
Dec 9th, 2003, 08:05 PM
ya it should be up front for everyone to see

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:53 PM
WOW Sharon such a impressive win!!!! 6-2 6-0 agaisnt the third seed!!!!

Too bad Steph W!!!!

Katarina won her amtch today too!

Hawk
Dec 10th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Yay Sharon :D :bigclap: Kid is so impressive..I wish I could see her play :(

Randy H
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:00 AM
welcome to our humble Canadian tennis thread Hawk - glad you found it :D

we really need to get this boosted up to its own forum :p

Hawk
Dec 10th, 2003, 08:01 PM
well, not yet, we dont even have a player in the TOP 100 yet, let alone a forum to cheer for many players, so let's wait for a few more years:)

Hey the Brits got a forum :p

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 10th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Sharon and Steph won their doubles match 6-0 6-0 today!

No results in singles, seems like it rained in both tournies :sad:

Randy H
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:37 PM
well, not yet, we dont even have a player in the TOP 100 yet, let alone a forum to cheer for many players, so let's wait for a few more years:)

I don't think it should be about the rankings of the players, what matters are the fans and the support of those fans, and clearly I think this thread makes it more than evident that those factors are here with Canadian Tennis. The fact that this thread is still going strong, and we have more posts in this thread alone than in the entire Bulgarian Player forum (no offense Bulgarian forum ;) ), speaks for the fact that we deserve it. I also think it's pretty evident that the Canadian tennis fans are keen to support our girls, otherwise this thread would not still be alive, considering it's also not as easy to come across as the player forum threads that are displayed on the front page.

Hawk
Dec 10th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Yay Sharon is into the Semi's :D :bounce:

QF Sharon Fichman d. (5) Claire Peterzan 6-3, 6-4 :yeah:

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 10th, 2003, 11:28 PM
That girl really is impressive!!!! Win it all Sharon!

Randy H
Dec 10th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Sharon :bounce:

~CANUCK~
Dec 11th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Yup i agree we need our own forum. And way to go sharon keep up the good work girl.

~CANUCK~
Dec 11th, 2003, 01:22 AM
What should we name our forum?

Hawk
Dec 11th, 2003, 01:49 AM
What should we name our forum?

Well if you wanna stick with the C thing..we could do something including Canadian Chicks :p

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 11th, 2003, 02:23 AM
I agree we need our thread!!!! Go Canada GO!

~CANUCK~
Dec 11th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Anyone else have any ideas for the name. I do like where hawk was going with that idea

~CANUCK~
Dec 11th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I asked josh to make us our forum and he said he will ask if he can..and if the big guys say yes we get our forum

Randy H
Dec 11th, 2003, 08:19 PM
great, hopefully our wish is granted :D

I agree, a 'C' name would be fitting

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 12th, 2003, 02:57 AM
WOW if we could have a thread, it would mean finally canadian tennis is going somewhere!

Randy H
Dec 12th, 2003, 02:42 PM
well Sharon lost today in straight sets to Elizabeth Kobak, but a semifinal showing is a great effort from her in the singles, plus she did beat Kobak/Terblanche in the doubles which puts her and Wetmore into the doubles final :D hope they can win!

U16 Orange Bowl qualifying draw is available in the junior forum, Stephanie Wetmore, Tania Rice, and Leyla Morzan are all there, so hopefully they show up and make it through to the main draw :D

~CANUCK~
Dec 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
no news yet on the forum but i will keep you all updated

Randy H
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Tania Rice and Valerie Tetreault have knocked off the top 2 seeds at the U16 USTA International Winter Championships, both are into the quarterfinals :D

Josh
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:57 PM
A Canadian forum has been created. For the moment it's called "Maple Tennis" but if you want a name change just let me know.

~CANUCK~
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:59 PM
A Canadian forum has been created. For the moment it's called "Maple Tennis" but if you want a name change just let me know.

josh you are the best :kiss:

~CANUCK~
Dec 12th, 2003, 05:01 PM
and valerie beat the second seed 6-1 6-0..now thats a beating

Randy H
Dec 12th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Thanks so much Josh, really appreciate it :D

~CANUCK~
Dec 13th, 2003, 12:42 AM
steff dubois won her match today against the 2nd seed and alex won her match against the 3rd seed. im so happy. Both tough matches going to 3 sets. but still they both beat some good players today.

~CANUCK~
Dec 13th, 2003, 12:47 AM
oh and more good news kat and mel won there doubles match beating the 7th seeds. what a good day

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 13th, 2003, 01:13 AM
WOW Great day for Canada!!!!!

First a thread :bounce:

Then Sharon :sad: but Sharon/Steph :worship:

Val and Tania :woohoo:

Mel/Kat :D:D:D:D

But most of all, Steph and Alekz :dance: :banana: :eek: I knew you had a chance but the two of you !!!!!!!

Hawk
Dec 13th, 2003, 03:16 AM
WOW Great day for Canada!!!!!

First a thread :bounce:

Then Sharon :sad: but Sharon/Steph :worship:

Val and Tania :woohoo:

Mel/Kat :D:D:D:D

But most of all, Steph and Alekz :dance: :banana: :eek: I knew you had a chance but the two of you !!!!!!!

:bigclap: for Steph and Alekz for sure :D

Valerie and Tania :worship: Dismissing the Top 2 seeds

Sharon :sad: but perhaps a little bit of fatigue..she's played quite a bit lately.

We're the upset artists today :D

Randy H
Dec 13th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Fantastic results :D

Great win for Stephanie considering Emma beat her earlier this year. Hope she can keep it going against Kateryna :)

Even more happy for Aleksandra though, her year has stalled a bit after the mid-season injury so this was really an important win for her over a player who has been in really good form in recent months. Hopefully she can continue this run of form and finish up the season strong :D

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 13th, 2003, 02:15 PM
WOW I think the girls were inspired that finally we had our thread...I think we should do that every day ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 13th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Another great news, Sharon and Stephanie just won the doubles title at the Prince CUP!!!! :worship: :bounce: :woohoo:

~CANUCK~
Dec 13th, 2003, 04:31 PM
way to go sharon and steff im so happy for them

Randy H
Dec 13th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Valerie Tetreault moves into the semifinals of the USTA U16 International Winter Champs :)

no news yet on Tania's match.

Qualifying draw is out for U18 Orange Bowl, Valerie Saillant and Eunice David both lose unfortunately, but Ekaterina Shulaeva and Melanie Gloria are both still in the competition :)

Randy H
Dec 13th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Tania lost in 3 sets :(

Randy H
Dec 13th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Stephanie lost in 2 to Kateryna Bondarenko, Aleksandra lost in 3 to Varvara Lepchenko :sad:

too bad as they had possibly tougher opponents they overcame in the previous round, but at least they out did their seedings and will gain some points :)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 13th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Steph :sad:
Tania :sad:
Eunica:sad:
Alekz :sad:
Saillant :sad:

Tetreault :bounce:
Gloria :worship:
Shulaeva :woohoo:

Still a great week for the Canucks!

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 14th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Thanks to LAreau :bounce: Too bad he retired he was in his tennis peak :sad:

~CANUCK~
Dec 16th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Steff and Alex won there first round matches at the orange bowl. The next round is when it gets tough for them. Good luck girls

Randy H
Dec 16th, 2003, 07:15 PM
nice wins for Aleksandra and Stephanie :D

too bad Katarina lost to Ichim :(

rest of the draw now is very tough for everyone, Dubois plays Chvojkova (hope Aleksandra gives her a few tips ;)), and Aleksandra plays Bohmova. Good luck! :D

Randy H
Dec 16th, 2003, 08:18 PM
here is a little update on the Canadians in the U12 and U14 Orange Bowl championships:

eliminated in U12 qualifying :(

*Tiffany Tang
*Brittany Wowchuk

still competing in U12 qualifying :)

*Shannon Cuciz

competing in U12 maindraw :D

*Petra Januskova
*Katerina Paliivets
*Victoria Sekely

eliminated from U14 qualifying :(

*Roxann Beaudoin
*Taryn Carey
*Andreanne Talbot

still competing in U14 qualifying :)

*Maude Lecluyse
*Alexandra Odell-Michels
*Kari Wig

competing in U14 maindraw :D

*Sharon Fichman
*Stefi Gjine
*Marie-Pier Huet
*Monika Lalewicz
*Jillian O'Neill
*Nina Pantic
*Erika Perez
*Kirtsen Yoon

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 16th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Good luck Especially to huet, Fichman, Dubois and Wozniak this week!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Dec 17th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Allez Marie!

Randy H
Dec 17th, 2003, 02:12 PM
updates:

U12 qualifying:

Shannon Cuciz, Monica Hirano, Kristina Blajkevitch, and Nicole Smith all eliminated :( No Canadians advanced through qualiying in this division.

U14 qualifying:

Maude Lecluyse, Alexandra Odell-Michels, Kari Wig, and Stephanie Roy all eliminated from qualifying.

Mia Gordon, Taylor Ormand, and Anne-Christine Voicu won their matches and have advanced into the U14 maindraw :)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 17th, 2003, 05:00 PM
We do not ahve many players in the U12 and U16 competition.."Wonder why ???

Randy H
Dec 17th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Marija Milic and Stephanie Wetmore both eliminated in U16 tournament, no Canadians left in this division :(

better news though in U18 as Stephanie Dubois picks up another upset eliminating 3rd seed Veronika Chvojkova in straight sets :D Next up is Anna Tchakvetadze, tough match but hope she can pick up another win :)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 17th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Steph is impressing me more and more at every tourney! I hope she will continue on her great form and beat Anna!

Also good luck to Alekz against Bohmova who is a tough match also!

~CANUCK~
Dec 18th, 2003, 12:09 AM
way to go steff im so impressed. Any news on sharon yet?

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 18th, 2003, 02:35 AM
It rained today so only the under 16s and a part of the under 18 played :sad:

Come on all the girls in the 14 and under and 18 and under!

Randy H
Dec 18th, 2003, 03:05 AM
U12 first round has been completed - bad news for Canadians as Januskova, Paliivets, Sekely, and LL Hirano all lost in the maindraw. This leaves us with no Canadians left in U12 singles competition :sad:

Randy H
Dec 18th, 2003, 03:11 AM
better news in U14

Fichman, Gjine, Pantic, Huet, O'Neill, and Voicu all winners :D

Lalewicz, Yoon, Gordon, and Ormond unfortunately eliminated, and it seems as though Erika Perez was replaced by one of the many LL unless I am blind :p

~CANUCK~
Dec 18th, 2003, 05:14 PM
sharon won with a double bagel woo hoo

Randy H
Dec 19th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Aleksandra lost to Bohmova 6-4, 6-4 :sad:

tough match, but Aleksandra will finish the year in singles around top 25 so a good year for her despite some injuries :)

Randy H
Dec 19th, 2003, 04:10 AM
in U14 singles, Jillian O'Neill, Sharon Fichman, and Nina Pantic have all moved into the round of 32 :D

Anne-Christine Voicu, Marie-Pier Huet, and Stefi Gjine lost :(

in the consolation events, Paliivets and Januskova won their matches in U12 :) , and Hirano and Sekely lost :(

in U14 consolation, Yoon, Lalewicz, and Ormand won :) , but Gordon lost :(

Randy H
Dec 19th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Stephanie Dubois def. Anna Tchakvetadze in straight sets today :D into the quarterfinals against Sescioreanu :D

Hawk
Dec 19th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Yay Steph :worship:

btw Does anyone know where I can look at How the Junior rankings work? Or if someone is in the mood..give me a quick rundown ;) :p

canuckfan
Dec 19th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Yay Steph :worship:

btw Does anyone know where I can look at How the Junior rankings work? Or if someone is in the mood..give me a quick rundown ;) :p

Here's the points breakdown for Stephanie Dubois:

http://www.itfjuniors.com/scripts/rankings/PointsBreakdown.asp?MType=Sing&ID=100013172

All I can say is that they take the six best results for the ranking. The tournaments with the more points are Grand Slams, then Grade A, then grade 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5(the weeker ones). For example, a win in a grade 4 is worth 40 points and a loss in the first round of a Grand Slam is worth 25 points. For a quarterfinal in the Orange Bowl, Stephanie will receive 80 points.

Because of all her recent good results, Stephanie won't have any points to defend until late august nexrt year. It means that she will probably be top ten in not too long (maybe next week if she wins...)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 19th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Steph really is playing great lately!

Sad for Alekz though :(

Come on steph, this is your match to win and than nothing can come your way!

Randy H
Dec 19th, 2003, 08:53 PM
(5)Delia Sescioreanu def. Stephanie Dubois 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-0 :sad:

what a heartbreaker of a loss, Delia's a good player but just a shame Steph couldnt hang on and get into the semis. I think she would have had a good shot at taking out Uberoi :(

Still a very positive week though, and hope she can keep moving up :)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 19th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Yeah impressive week for her! Once gain she was close after winning the first set, I hope this is something she will work on....It happened against Jidkova, Peleltier (though she won), Arvidsson and few other times in juniors!

~CANUCK~
Dec 20th, 2003, 02:42 AM
sharon double bagelled someone again today woo hoo

Randy H
Dec 20th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Sharon, Jillian, and Nina all won and move into the final 16 :D :woohoo:

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 20th, 2003, 03:48 PM
WOW impressive! How about 3 quarterfinalist ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 20th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Sharon won today 6-1 6-2 against the 4rth seed!

Saldy, Pantic lost to the first seed 2-6 6-1 6-0 and Oneill lost 6-4 6-4!

Randy H
Dec 20th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Nina :( Jillian :( too bad, but still respectable efforts to reach the round of 16 :)

well done Sharon, keep going, you can win this :D

~CANUCK~
Dec 21st, 2003, 11:18 PM
woo hoo sharon is so good. She is in the semis now :)

Randy H
Dec 22nd, 2003, 01:35 AM
Sharon's still tearing apart this field ;)

Into the semis now, just 2 matches to go :D

~CANUCK~
Dec 22nd, 2003, 01:41 AM
i want to see sharon play live

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:40 AM
me too....i am planning to go to Repentigny next fall to see ehr play and the other Canucks...

And Olaru is out of the way so come on Sharon!

rated_next
Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:52 AM
Does anyone know Sharon's style of play, and how tall she is?

Randy H
Dec 22nd, 2003, 03:05 AM
according to ITF's player profile, Sharon is 5'2, and 106lbs.

from what I've heard, she plays a 'Hingis'-like game, smart player. Hopefully one of us can see her play sometime and get the full scoop on Sharon's game ;)

Hawk
Dec 22nd, 2003, 03:35 AM
according to ITF's player profile, Sharon is 5'2, and 106lbs.

from what I've heard, she plays a 'Hingis'-like game, smart player. Hopefully one of us can see her play sometime and get the full scoop on Sharon's game ;)

I hope she grows a bit :o

The tour is tough when you're small :unsure:

Randy H
Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:14 PM
I hope she grows a bit :o

The tour is tough when you're small :unsure:

Thankfully she's only just turned 13, so I am sure she has at least another 3 years or so worth of growing to do - If anything, at least right now being so small she has learned that it's not all about power in tennis and that there are a lot of other things you can have in order to win :)

~CANUCK~
Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:28 PM
Can you imagine if she did grow, and was able to play the power game, this kid would be unbeatable, if she could be a mix of hingis and lets say cappy, this kid is gonna be great.

rated_next
Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:05 PM
I know - she seems like a great player to watch

will she be playing any challenger tournaments next year?

Hawk
Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
I know - she seems like a great player to watch

will she be playing any challenger tournaments next year?

She's not old enough :o :p

You have to be 14 years old before you can play any WTA or ITF events.

rated_next
Dec 22nd, 2003, 06:06 PM
i didn't know of that rule :o

i was hoping that i'd get to see her in vancouver next year

Randy H
Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:29 AM
Sharon moves into the U14 final with a 6-2 6-2 win - She has dropped only 12 games in her 6 matches so far :)

Good luck in the final!

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 23rd, 2003, 01:09 AM
lo at Sharon losing2 games average in every match so far....Hope that continues in the final :D

KoOlMaNsEaN
Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:38 PM
Cmon Sharon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!