PDA

View Full Version : Here's why Jen withdrew

mn73
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Capriati Withdraws from Charleston
Posted on 4/6/2003 at 5:48 PM

CAPRIATI WITHDRAWS FROM FAMILY CIRCLE CUP

CHARLESTON, SC (April 6, 2003) – No. 4 seed Jennifer Capriati has been forced to withdraw from this week’s $1.3 million Family Circle Cup due to strep throat.

Capriati, ranked No. 6 in the world, has been bothered by the throat infection this past week. She became ill the day after playing in Miami’s NASDAQ-100 Open final and stayed with her mother, Denise Capriati, in West Palm Beach, FL, which is near Miami.

“I’m so disappointed to have to withdraw from this year’s Family Circle Cup”, said Capriati from her home in Florida’s Saddlebrook Resort. “I won the tournament the first year it moved to Charleston, so it really has special memories for me.”

Capriati was due to make her ninth appearance at the Family Circle Cup. She won the title in 2001, the year the Family Circle Cup was moved to Charleston from Hilton Head Island. Playing in only her third career WTA tournament, she reached the final in 1990, her debut appearance at the Family Circle Cup. She lost to top seed Martina Navratilova. She was also a two-time semifinalist in 1993, when she lost to Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, and 2002, when she lost to Patty Schnyder.

“It is disappointing when a player of Jennifer’s caliber withdraws, but even professional athletes get sick,” said Frankie Whelan, executive director of the Family Circle Cup. “I know she is just as sad to miss this event, but we wish her well and hope that she feels better soon.”

“They put on such a great event in Charleston. My entire family comes with me including my dog, and the crowds are fantastic,” Capriati said. “I definitely plan on coming next year.”

Capriati’s next scheduled tournament is the Bausch and Lomb Championships, April
14 – 20, in Amelia Island, FL.

yukon145
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Jenn :sad: :sad: :sad:

graf630
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Get Well Soon Jen!! :sad:

Wojtek
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Jenny :sad: :sad: :sad:

Dava
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Hope your not away too long Jen.

SerialKiller#69
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:30 AM
good luck jen. enjoy your time off.

sbmh
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Get well soon , Jenn !

BasicTennis
Apr 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM
she's getting karma for shouting at the ball boys, linesman, umpire, etc...etc...etc....she's only afraid of Serena I guess.:rolleyes:

rikvanlooy
Apr 7th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Good news for Justine !

White Stripes
Apr 7th, 2003, 10:32 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Get well soon, Jen!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:03 PM
maybe she saw Lina in her section ;)

CapFan#1
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:31 PM
she's getting karma for shouting at the ball boys, linesman, umpire, etc...etc...etc....she's only afraid of Serena I guess.:rolleyes:

PLEASE JUST FUCK!OFF!

Mase
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:46 PM
This literally sucks....... I hope you feel better Jen, cant wait to see you at the Bausch and Lomb!!!

King Aaron
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:42 PM
maybe she saw Lina in her section ;)
Lol

c2
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:36 PM
thanks very much BasicTennis, I needed to update my ignore list :rolleyes: