PDA

View Full Version : Supportive Venus: Serena (17-0) has 'great chance' for perfect year

GogoGirl
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:45 PM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/2003/04/03/sports/5545733.htm

Posted on Thu, Apr. 03, 2003

Supportive Venus: Serena (17-0) has 'great chance' for perfect year
BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN
mkaufman@herald.com

If Venus Williams is jealous of, or discouraged by, her sister Serena's success, she isn't saying.

The elder of the sisters sounded as supportive as ever Wednesday on a conference call to promote this weekend's JP Morgan Chase Tennis Challenge at the Naples Bath and Tennis Club, a benefit event for their mother Oracene's charity, the OWL Foundation.

Venus, who lost in the quarterfinals of the NASDAQ-100 Open last week and has lost to her sister in the finals of four straight Grand Slam events, said she wouldn't put it past Serena to go undefeated this season. Serena won the NASDAQ final Saturday, stretching her win streak to 17-0 this year. She is 60-4 since March 2002.

''I think Serena has a great chance to do it,'' Venus said. ``It's not easy to win every time, but other sports have had unbelievable records, so why not tennis?''

Both Williams sisters will play in the Naples charity event Saturday. Serena will play Monica Seles in a 1 p.m. singles match, followed by a doubles match between Serena- Jana Novotna and Venus-Seles. The players will also attend a $250-a-plate gala, at which Roberta Flack will perform.

The OWL Foundation (short for Oracene Williams Learning Foundation) helps fund educational programs for children with learning disabilities.

Venus Williams insisted the NASDAQ defeat has not dampened her spirits.

''I just had a bad day,'' she said of her loss to Meghann Shaughnessy. ``It's just one tournament. I'm moving on and getting ready for the clay season and the French Open.''

ßcoene
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:48 PM
I don't think she should say that because she is a contender of Serena. I'm sure she wants to win a Slam and then she probably has to defeat Serena.

selesrules
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:58 PM
I don't think she should say that because she is a contender of Serena. I'm sure she wants to win a Slam and then she probably has to defeat Serena.

Good point.

kell
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:12 PM

True, but how is she supposed to say that to the media? They'll just go on forever about the sisterly rivallry (like they already are)

apoet29
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:15 PM
if Venus' support of Serena is at the expense of her own career! As an older sister myself, I have often sacrificed some of my own personal happiness to support my siblings. While I have no regrets about doing so, I do wonder if my sacrifices ever did my younger siblings, intelligent people in their own right, any good. While I think it's great that the Williams sisters believe that love is stronger than tennis results, I would hate to see Venus look back on her career and wonder what might have been if she had really taken it to her sister.

kell
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:25 PM
if Venus' support of Serena is at the expense of her own career! As an older sister myself, I have often sacrificed some of my own personal happiness to support my siblings. While I have no regrets about doing so, I do wonder if my sacrifices ever did my younger siblings, intelligent people in their own right, any good. While I think it's great that the Williams sisters believe that love is stronger than tennis results, I would hate to see Venus look back on her career and wonder what might have been if she had really taken it to her sister.

I know what you mean about sacrificing hapiness for a younger sibling (I have a little sister who has no idea about the lengths I've gone to to support her). But I really do believe that Venus takes it to her sister every time they meet on court. She just not good enough for her, and is then gracious enough to compliment Serena to the media (as every player should do towhen they're beaten fairly fairly).

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:24 PM
I agree with kell. Venus isnt going to say 'no she has no chance to do it' to the media because they'll hype it up and say Venus thinks she can beat Serena. I am sure she wants to beat Serena every time she goes out to face her on court.

Dava
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Well Venus would say that, shea hardly likely to say i think I will beat Serena cos shes not that big headed, nor is she likely to point the fingure at Jane Doe and say she will beat Serena.

doloresc
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM
thank for the article. i'm not worried about venus at all. she's down but not out.

sartrista7
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Venus :mad:

Serena only has a great chance to go unbeaten if she persists with this attitude.

nikita771
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:55 PM
I think that Venus was just being polite. Venus knows in her heart that she wants to put a whipping on Serena in the final of any Grand Slam, so she's just being a big sis. In reality, Venus doesn't want her to have a perfect season. In order for Serena to have a perfect season, Venus has to lose to her for the rest of the year. And Venus can't want this to happen.

jmp
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:27 PM
I don't see any defeatism, resignation or sisterly sacrifice in Venus' remarks.

I admire greatness in all facets of life. As a competitive person, I would cheer a collegue and friend who was trying to set new records in their field. But, if part of setting that record means competing with me, I'm not going to give my opponent a gift.

It would be amazing for Serena to go undefeated. But, I expect every professional who comes up against her to do everything within the bounds of good sportsman(woman)ship to stop her.

gweeny
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Maybe Venus will lose in the earlier rounds so that she would help serena keep her promise of not losing.

Honestly, I think Venus needs to trash that protective sister attitude. I am not saying that's the reason why she has not beaten her sister in the past 5 tries. But I don't really think that serena and venus are so far apart in their talents that Venus cannot beat her sister.

Serena does not appear to care if she beats her sister, so Venus should just look at serena has an opponent and not her baby sister.

harloo
Apr 4th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Maybe Venus will lose in the earlier rounds so that she would help serena keep her promise of not losing.

Honestly, I think Venus needs to trash that protective sister attitude. I am not saying that's the reason why she has not beaten her sister in the past 5 tries. But I don't really think that serena and venus are so far apart in their talents that Venus cannot beat her sister.

Serena does not appear to care if she beats her sister, so Venus should just look at serena has an opponent and not her baby sister.

Why would venus lose early to help Serena? :rolleyes:

IMO, Serena has just stepped her game up while Venus has stayed at that same level. Her forehand and serve was always a problem, and IMO that was the difference in those slam matches especially the serve. All this Venus let Serena win bull makes no sense. Tell me the reason why she beat Capriati also after losing to her 4 straight times? Some people IMO, are so caught up in lying to themselves that they just cannot see the truth.

The truth is the fact that Serena was just better in 2002, and it does not mean that the Queen will not win another slam. However, I think now Serena is forcing Vee to get better. Now whether she answers the challenge is up to her. Venus is at a different place in her life right now, where tennis isn't as important. It would be nice to see her win more slams, but that's up to her and the level of dedication she want's to put in the game.

Lita's Ex
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Much ado...that's the way I see it.

I just had a bad day,'' she said of her loss to Meghann Shaughnessy. ``It's just one tournament. I'm moving on and getting ready for the clay season and the French Open.''

That says it all. Venus is still a factor and may very well win at Roland Garros. Serena's dominance just has a way of making everyone else's results look dismal. Venus, Kim and Lindsay have all won titles this year but with Serena still undefeated, people tend to forget they've already had success in 2003.

gweeny
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Why would venus lose early to help Serena? :rolleyes:

IMO, Serena has just stepped her game up while Venus has stayed at that same level. Her forehand and serve was always a problem, and IMO that was the difference in those slam matches especially the serve. All this Venus let Serena win bull makes no sense. Tell me the reason why she beat Capriati also after losing to her 4 straight times? Some people IMO, are so caught up in lying to themselves that they just cannot see the truth.

The truth is the fact that Serena was just better in 2002, and it does not mean that the Queen will not win another slam. However, I think now Serena is forcing Vee to get better. Now whether she answers the challenge is up to her. Venus is at a different place in her life right now, where tennis isn't as important. It would be nice to see her win more slams, but that's up to her and the level of dedication she want's to put in the game.

If you read my paragraph below, you will realize I said that Serena was winning not only because Venus was being protective. I agree that Serena was better than Venus last year. My opinion, is that they are not that different in talents and something else (such as mental) is barring Venus from being able to beat her sister. It is only my opinion. I am not a psychiatrist. Serena oftens says that her sister beats her in practice, so why does that not translate in their current matches.

Yeah, I agree that Venus serve is a liability, but her serve was still a problem when she won her other grandslams. So I am just trying to figure out what the problem is. I still think (my opinion), that it is a combination of Serena has improved mentally and talent wise, and that Venus has declined mental wise. (she might not be interested in tennis, she might want her sister to get better, I don't know)