PDA

View Full Version : Did Alicia's injury come at the worst possible time?

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:42 PM
besides the fact that she was playing the best tennis of her life did the injury coome at the worst time? i say this because if Alicia wants to get good results at grand slams then she really needs to get a seeding. and i think her injury coming at this time has prevented it maybe for the whole year because there isn't much of a gap between the french and wimbledon and there isn't to much of a gap until the us open. between the oz open and roland garros is the time of the year where players have along enough period to significantly move their way up the ranks but Alicia being injured at this time has prevented it. she can beat most players at this time but if she comes up against a top 10er in the first or second round then she might have some trouble. i'm not saying she won't beat them but i don't think (correct me if i am wrong - AUSBOY will have no trouble in doing so) she has beaten a top 10 player in a grand slam and they all seem to get serious in those.

kell
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:51 PM
I don't think Alicia has ever beaten a top 10 player in a Grandslam. Hmmm...AUSBOY??? Where are you? :)

Yes, I think her injury was definately at the worst possible time. She was just beginning to climb up the ranks (again) and would soon have been able to be seeded in a grand slam. That injury really halted her progress. She really needs to win this tournament.

Then again, would anyone be shocked if she upset a top ten seed in the first round of the French Open? :D It's possible(although I certainly wouldn't count on it).

ßcoene
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:57 PM
She beat Brenda Schultz-McCarthy at Roland Garros 1999.
She beat Magdalena Maleeva at Us Open 2001.

They both have been in the top ten. Maybe Maleeva was top-10 at that moment.

AUSBOY
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:05 AM
An injury at anytime is bad but in Molik's case I dont think it had slowed her down her progress too much!

She was actually down in her 1st round match in the 2nd set against Iroda when it happened. Iroda's form had kicked into gear and she was starting to get on top of Alicia.

Even if Alicia had got through this match which I'm not so sure she would have, the next match was going to be against Davenport, which would have been really tough for Alicia to win.

So in terms of missed points at the Aust Open, I dont feel she missed much. She had played a lot of matches prior to it and was feeling a bit fatigued.

Technically she missed 3 events, Tokyo, Doha and Dubai. Its hard to say how well she would have done but I think she could have picked up around 100-150 points in these 3 events.

Alicia still has another 6 weeks to work on her ranking. I dont feel a seed at French Open was ever really likely to happen this year. Wimbledon maybe a slight chance had she not had the injury.

Come US Open though Alicia and Pratt will both hopefully be seeded.

The break has been good for Alicia mentally it gave her time to get over her ex b/f and settle into her new place in Melbourne. It also allowed her to experiment with her training techniques.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Yeah I agree!!! She was playing awesome and had a great shot at doing well in AO!!! Just like Mikaelian who had a draw leading to a round of sixteen...Both will come back strong I am sure!!!

Vicky88
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Don't think an injury can every come at a good time, however Alicia seems to have picked up where she left off so it doesn't seem to have harmed her.

I'm not that concerned about not being seeded, because let's face it, to win a tournament you have to beat allcomers. Yes it would be nice to have a seed to get an easy passage thru to the third round at least, but it's all match practice.

I feel come the US Open, if her form continues as it has been this year, there is a good chance she will be seeded.