PDA

View Full Version : Russian-Russian casualties..

ys
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:23 PM
Don't you think that it happens way to often that our girls are getting injured in matches between them?

By heart, it is already at least fifth case, and there are surely more, I just don't remember..

2001 - Kournikova-Petrova
2001 - Krasnorotuskaya-Dementieva
2001 - Likhovtseva-Dementieva
2002 - Krasnoroutskaya-Kouznetsova
2003 - Myskina-Petrova
2003 - Safina-Dementieva

Is there something that makes them go for too much against each other..:sad:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:54 PM
probably
but the stats will probably show more in future as there will be more and more Russian match-ups

just too sad for Nadya, she looked like she had this one in the bag

ys
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:37 PM
It is one thing that is similar for Russian players - they have plenty of baseline speed, but they are very clumsy moving towards the net. Especially chasing the dropshots. It's almost impossible to dropshot Serena, Venus, Jennifer or Kim, and while our girls are very quick chasing balls on the baseline, they are often getting dropshotted to death.

Didn't Alyona D. also injure herself against Likhovtseva in 2001 while also chasing the short ball ( or dropshot ) on green clay and also twisting her ankle?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:07 PM
she didnt twist her ankle, it was more of a stress fracture on the sole of her foot.

ys
May 5th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Another one... I just hate these Russian-Russian encounters..

And these bastards again drew all Russians together..:(

Leena
May 5th, 2003, 03:24 PM
This is seriously some freaky shit how Russians get injured against each other...

AKTW
May 5th, 2003, 04:35 PM
This is seriously some freaky shit how Russians get injured against each other...
injuries :sad:

the cat
May 5th, 2003, 07:03 PM
ys, you don't believe in jinxes, do you?

Too bad Elena got hurt. But she has been playing too many tournaments this year. And the change of time zones, countries and surfaces in such a short amount of time is hard to deal with. Elena has played on green clay, carpet and now red clay in the last 3 weeks.

Now that Elena has finally won her first WTA title, it's time for her to play a less crowded schedule that would benefit her health.

ys
May 5th, 2003, 07:31 PM
ys, you don't believe in jinxes, do you?

I don't believe in jinxes. I do believe though that Russian-Russian encounters create some unhealthy athmosphere that makes them push themselves beyond what their bodies are prepared for.. For one, if Vera beats Casanova ( which, I think, she will ), I will be dreading of her match against Nastya..

the cat
May 5th, 2003, 11:20 PM
It is eery how often one of the Russian girls get injured during matches when they are playing each other. :(

fresh2flash
May 6th, 2003, 05:13 AM
I do believe though that Russian-Russian encounters create some unhealthy athmosphere that makes them push themselves beyond what their bodies are prepared for..

Alyona said that now when she plays Russian girls almost every weak she doesn`t take it too close to heart - win-or-die thing. But in fact I think that she meant girls of her age - Nastya, Bovina, Nadya, maybe Lina. I doubt her phylosophy towards the juniors.