PDA

View Full Version : $10,000 Gainesville - Main Draw

Steveg
Jan 15th, 2002, 06:02 PM
1 WEBB, Vanessa (CAN) vs. GORDON, Alexis (USA)
Q vs. SREBROVIC, Diana (CAN)

TEZUKA, Remi (JPN) vs. NASH, Alison (CAN)
Q vs 6 CZINK, Melinda (HUN)

3 LI, Na (CHN) vs. WC DAWAF, Lindsay (USA)
NATHAN, Andrea (USA) vs. Q

ESSEGHIR, Feriel (ALG) vs. LEE-WATERS, Lindsay (USA)
Q vs. 8 RUSSEGGER, Petra (AUT)

7 DABEK, Tiffany (USA) vs. WC LEHNHOFF, Jessica (USA)
VICHNEVSKAYA, Ilona (RUS) vs. Q

Q vs. Q
CHAPMAN, Courtenay (USA) vs. 4 LESENAROVA, Zuzana (CZE)

5 RAMPRE, Petra (SLO) vs. SCHMIDLE, Syna (GER)
ZGUNA, Anzela (LAT) vs. SCHAER, Stephanie (VEN)

Q vs. SKAVRONSKAIA, Lioudmila (RUS)
CHIALVO, Eugenia (ARG) vs. 2 KARYSHKOVA, Oxana (RUS)

"No play today due to rain" (14.01.2002)

danker, you are right : Li Ting has disappeared from both singles and doubles.

Draw courtesy of : Aceman Tennis.com (http://168.144.121.42/cgi-bin/draw.exe)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 15th, 2002, 06:23 PM
good luck

Oxana :)
Ilona :)
Lioudmila :)

in qualies Dasha should bt Anna E Nefedova :)

Daria Kustava bt Lolita who retired :sad:

Martian KC
Jan 15th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Thanks Steve.......:)
Good luck to:
Na Li and Petra Rampre! poor Lolita.:( She is too young to get injured.:(;)

Steveg
Jan 16th, 2002, 01:37 AM
KC, I think Na has completed her match by now (she was to play this 15.01 in fourth match of the day. First match starting at 10:00).

Is there any possibilty for you to check the results of Na (can you please check your PM ;) )?

Randy H
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:09 AM
best of luck to:

*Vanessa Webb
*Diana Srebrovic
*Alison Nash
*Melinda Czink
*Na Li
*Feriel Esseghir
*Lindsay Lee-Waters
*Jessica Lehnoff
*Zuzana Lesenarova

auntie janie
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:23 AM
Poor Lolita! :(

Good luck to Lindsay Lee-W and Melinda Czink! :cool: :cool:

Ejective Stop
Jan 16th, 2002, 05:37 AM
This is quite a low-tech tournament. I showed up pretty late in the day and there was no way of telling who was playing or what the score was. (Confusingly enough, there were scoreboards behind them, but they registered scores for what must have been previous matches.) The players were calling their own lines and since it's 7 courts side by side, points were continually being interrupted by balls drifting over from other courts. That it was around 55-60 degrees outside didn't help matters either. Anyway, I later found a schedule saying that the match on the far court had been Li vs. Dawaf; if I'd known I would have paid closer attention, but I would have only seen 3 minutes anyway. Somebody was whacking the cover off the ball down there; I imagine it must have been Li. I saw the end of one match which the schedule said was Zguna vs. Schaer. No idea which was Zguna and which was Schaer, but the one with the curly hair won. Heaps o' errors, but whoever won won with a forehand volley winner after a long rally.

Mostly I saw doubles, what I later discovered to be Chin/Stamenic vs. Baker/Panford (Chin is a lefty with a two-handed forehand and an American accent, vocalized often after errors; Stamenic had the less attackable serve but could probably stand to be in better shape), no idea what the score was, and Skavronskaia/Vichnevskaya vs. Yeon Kim/Eun-Mi Oh (it seemed that half the spectators, i.e. about 6, were the other Korean players and one older man cheering on Kim/Oh and Chin/Stamenic), which was at 2-1 for the Koreans in the third when I left. Hopefully, I'll be able to see some more tomorrow, at least in between classes :P.

Steveg
Jan 16th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the post Ejective Stop.

Na is around 1.73m. Here is a pic of her (thanks to Bill Mitchell :) ) :

http://www.igs.net/~bmitchell/Tennis/Li-N/na005.JPG

For more information on Bill Mitchel picture site : Bill Mitchell Women of Tennis (http://www.igs.net/~bmitchell/Tennis/tennis.htm)

If you saw someone whacking the ball, it might well have been Na. I hope you will be able to see her play tomorrow.

Seems to be a pretty strange tournament than this one :( . I hope her ranking will be back pretty soon to #130 and better.

polishprodigy
Jan 16th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Ejective Stop, I was very much amused by your funny but appreciative commentary. I wish I could see this tournament? Wouldn't you tihnk players would make bad calls in their favour? (well depends if they are liars or not) Hmm I hope Vanessa does well and that Alison and Diana win. :D Hope to see more updates! Was the admission free Ejective Stop?

Steveg
Jan 16th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Na could not win : I saw on the updated draw that she withdrew from the tourney (a LL will take her place) :( :( :( .

MLF
Jan 16th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Hopefully Vanessa Webb can get back on track here. Good luck also to Petra Rampre.

Aloysius
Jan 16th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Yoo-Mi Jung took Na Li's place in the main draw.

They really call their own lines? Then why doesn't Monique Viele enter some and then just cheat, cheat, cheat her way to a title? :p j/k ;)

Ejective Stop
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Admission is free, but it's on campus during school hours, so good luck finding a parking space. Anyway, yes, apparently Li did pull out, so I have no idea who was playing yesterday. But today I did get to see some matches and know who was playing, which was comforting; not only that, but on 3 out of 4 courts they were using scoreboards, so I could even keep track of the matches simultaneously. Ah, the simple pleasures.

Uberoi vs. Abramovic was taking place on the court with no operative scoreboard, and so I have no idea what the score was, except that Uberoi appeared to be hitting more winners.

Schmidt vs. Rampre was directly to my left. A lot of baseline to baseline rallies; not much between the two players, but Schmidt played the cleaner match and won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3.

To my right was Nash vs. Tezuka. Nash was spraying off both sides and made just about every bad judgment call she could (at one point, she got into the net on a weak reply from Tezuka and proceeded to hit three or four volleys right back to her, as if challenging her to hit a passing shot good enough to draw the error; Tezuka accepted the challenge), while Tezuka was very solid if not exactly hard-hitting, making much fewer errors and eventually winning 6-1, 6-1.

Finally, in front of me was the melodrama of the morning, Lehnhoff vs. Dabek. In the first set, Lehnhoff was hitting much more aggressively than Dabek and went up 5-1 pretty quickly. (Dabek took an injury timeout at 1-4 down and came back with her right thigh wrapped.) Lehnhoff got to set point at 5-1, 30-40 on Dabek's serve and ran around her backhand to hit a return off a second serve (she ran around her backhand pretty much all the time) and pushed it into the net. After that, she started decomping, and Dabek fed off of it, winning the next 4 points on clean winners (she really began to work her inside out forehand) and sweeping the next seven games, winning the first set on a double fault from Jessica. Jessica would probably not be a very good poker player: she was clearly very upset with herself, and one point could be heard saying, "See how much shorter you can hit the ball, Jess." I can't really blame her; she really was hitting a lot of short balls, and Dabek was teeing off on them.

In the second set came the second major momentum swing of the match, as Dabek dropped serve at 1-all on a couple of loose points and Jessica began to play much more aggressively, hitting out on her forehand (clearly her favorite side). She went on to win the next four games and second set, answering pretty much every shot Dabek threw her way. She got to set point after a long deuce game on Dabek's serve but didn't make any mistakes this time, and wrapped up the second 6-1 after a long rally when Dabek pushed a backhand wide. And here, tragically, I had to leave and go learn about the origins of modernism in Brazilian literature.

Additional notes: those let calls resulting from balls drifting over from the courts on either side got to be a major nuisance here. There were at least 5 of them in the Lehnhoff/Dabek match. Also, the stadium was really quiet, with nobody really cheering or shouting or clapping or anything, which was especially strange because Lehnhoff is a UF player. It was again quite chilly during the match; perhaps when they scheduled this tournament they didn't realize how cold it gets in Gainesville during the winter. Anyway, hopefully I'll get to go back tomorrow.

Ejective Stop
Jan 17th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Oh, and I saw a little bit of Mabry vs. Benik. It was on serve, 3-2 Benik when I left. (She's blonde, not tall, but hits pretty hard off both sides; Mabry is also blonde and a little taller.) And I saw the warmups for Jung/Dawaf.

The three main draw matches were umpired, while the Uberoi/Abramovic had nobody visible calling the lines except the players. I think it might just be the qualifying matches. Vanessa Webb came in midway through the Lehnhoff/Dabek match and sat a couple rows in front of me; she was cheering on Jessica, with whom she won the Tallahassee doubles title last week. Also rooting for Jessica was Whitney Laiho, with whom she won the NCAA doubles last year (bear in mind when I say "rooting" that it was a very low-key sort of cheering in line with the general quietness mentioned before).

Steveg
Jan 17th, 2002, 09:20 PM
1 WEBB, Vanessa d. GORDON, Alexis 6-2 6-3
HAZLETT, Stephanie (Q) d. SREBROVIC, Diana 6-7 (4) 6-1 6-1

TEZUKA, Remi df. NASH, Alison 6-1 6-1
6 CZINK, Melinda df. MATIC, Antonia 6-0 6-4

WC DAWAF, Lindsay df. LL JUNG, Yoo-Mi 6-7 (7) 7-5 6-4
Q ABRAMOVIC, Ivana df. NATHAN, Andrea 6-2 6-1

LEE-WATERS, Lindsay df. ESSEGHIR, Feriel 6-3 6-3
LL PERRY, Shenay df. 8 RUSSEGGER, Petra 6-4 6-3

7 DABEK, Tiffany df. WC LEHNHOFF, Jessica 7-5 1-6 6-2
Q MAROIS, Melanie df. VICHNEVSKAYA, Ilona 6-3 6-4

Q BENIK, Whitney df. Q MABRY, Stephanie 6-4 6-2
CHAPMAN, Courtenay df. 4 LESENAROVA, Zuzana 6-2 1-6 6-2

SCHMIDT, Elizabeth df. 5 RAMPRE, Petra 6-3 6-3
SCHAER, Stephanie df. ZGUNA, Anzela 6-0 7-6(1)

Q COCHRAN, Tanner df. SKAVRONSKAIA, Lioudmila 6-2 6-2
2 KARYSHKOVA, Oxana df. CHIALVO, Eugenia 7-6 (1)2-6 6-3

Randy H
Jan 18th, 2002, 01:02 AM
well done Vanny, Melinda, Lindsay, Melanie, and Whitney :D

too bad for Diana, Alison, Feriel, Jessica, and Zuzana :(

Ejective Stop
Jan 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Didn't get to go today :(. But here are the results:

Webb def. Hazlett, 6-2, 6-2
Karyshkova def. Cochran, 6-4, 6-2
Lee-Waters def. Perry, 6-1, 6-1
Schmidt def. Schaer, 6-1, 7-5
Abramovic def. Dawaf, 6-1, 6-1
Dabek def. Marois, 7-5, 6-2
Benik def. Chapman, 6-4, 6-3
Czink def. Tezuka, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4

Jessica is still alive in the doubles; she and Dawaf defeated Cochran/Lee-Waters, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4.

Randy H
Jan 18th, 2002, 10:54 AM
well done Vanny, Lindsay, Whitney, and Melinda :)

too bad for Melanie :(

auntie janie
Jan 19th, 2002, 09:41 PM
From Aceman:

Webb d. Czink :(

Abramovic d. Lee-Waters :(

Dabek d. Benik

Karyshkova d. Schmidt

Randy H
Jan 20th, 2002, 01:51 AM
well done Vanny! :)

too bad for Melnida, Lindsay, and Whitney though :(

semis could be tough for Vanny, Ivana seems to finally be showing a bit of life after a pretty good junior career. Hope Vanny can play near her best level and win this :)

MLF
Jan 20th, 2002, 01:54 AM
It's nice to see Vanessa Webb playing with some real authority this week. I hope it continues. She's got a nice game and I still expect her best results to come on grass.

auntie janie
Jan 20th, 2002, 08:24 PM
WEBB and DABEK into the Final -- so says Aceman.

Randy H
Jan 21st, 2002, 02:28 AM
close one for Vanny, pulled it out 7-5 in the third :) I still don't think she's anywhere near her top confidence though, so who knows how she'll do against Dabek in the final, but hopefully she will win it! :) Dabek has beaten 3 players I like en route to the final so I am hoping she won't take out Vanny ;)

rated_next
Jan 21st, 2002, 11:18 AM
Vanessa Webb d. Tiffany Dabek 6:4 6:0

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Randy H
Jan 21st, 2002, 01:17 PM
great final for Vanny, congratulations! obviously she is better than 10k challengers, but every match and every win is a step closer to regaining her confidence before her injury setback :) very pleased with this result! keep it up Vanny :)

she also won the doubles title with Petra Rampre :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2002, 02:31 PM
well done Vanessa, congrats :)

jas
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:21 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Well Done Vanessa!!!
I hope this will help to spur you on to better things ahead! Keep working hard and NEVER give up---you'll be back!!