PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Etiquette

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:17 AM
ok I know thats not how you spell the word but whatever.....

Okay, I have only played tennis for about a year now so maybe there is a slight possibility that I am incorrect but, I just thought I would ask....

When playing a match with another person and you hit a shot that is 6 feet long or CLEARLY wide...i'm not talking inches here.....I'm talking...it hit the other court .....do you really need to call OUT...to me that is somewhat condesending....I can see that the ball is out. I know they do this on tv, i'm just talking about when you are hitting with another person, not an official match.

2nd...Is it too much to ask for a person to know how to keep score, this same woman that I play with, can not keep score once we get to duece and it is really irritating for someone to say.."I don't know...what is the score again" I mean damn, its duece, ad, game. And she has no concept of ad in or ad out. And she has played longer than me...

comments plz....

or feel free to add your own pet peeves :-)

firefly_ac
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
It's presumed that the server gets to call out the score before a point starts...

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I'm referring to when she serves.....if the game goes to duece she always ask me what the score is!

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:27 PM
You spelt the word right.

vw43
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:42 PM
I don't shout "out" if the ball is CLEARLY out. If it's obvious then I don't think the clarification is necessary.

In regards to the woman who can't keep score. I would teach her. Go up to the net and learn that poor woman! Obviously no one has broken it down for her. Do the tennis world a favor ;)

Keith
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:53 PM
LMAO @ Angie!

I think you should maybe put your finger up in the air to signal that the ball is out if it's blatantly out. AS a player, I would appreciate that. I don't know why, but sometimes even when it is clear that it is out, I need the person to let me know. I always let my opponent know its out.

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:17 PM
An alternative to making an out call would be to call the score of the particular game as a result to saying "out". (Ex.: You're serving at 30-15, your opponent hits a ball 6 feet out, instead of yelling "out", simply say "40-15".)

For the woman who can't keep score, one way of teaching her would be to cheat her ass out of points!!!!! It was so irritating to me when one of my friends would do this. After awhile, when he realized that the score was ALWAYS in my favour after he asked, he started keeping the score as well as I did.

Hawk
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:40 PM
LMAO @ Angie!

I think you should maybe put your finger up in the air to signal that the ball is out if it's blatantly out. AS a player, I would appreciate that. I don't know why, but sometimes even when it is clear that it is out, I need the person to let me know. I always let my opponent know its out.

I agree. If it were me I would like to have the ball signaled out with an index finger in the air. I think it's good to call every shot.

Are you trying to tell us when you play tennis there are always shots going into the other courts ;) :p

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:34 PM
LOL ...I was waiting for someone to say that.... but yeah, on the run ..I don't find the court most of the time :-)

As far as calling it, I guess its just me then, b/c I want to take my racquet and beat her upside the head for calling out if its CLEARLY wide. Guess I'll have to work on that, my payback will be to cheat her dumbass out of points though :-)