PDA

View Full Version : Top Players/Rankings..

SerenaSlam
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:59 AM
I had a question. Who do you think the top 3 players are? Based on the ability to beat 1 another? And when it comes to the rankings, who do you think the top players are? Would you say 1 person deserves to be ranked higher than another based on the amount of tournies, even though they can't beat the player below them? Or would you say a person deserves Number 1 b/c they play an average number of tournies, excel in them and win a majority of them? If a player were to get ranked higher b/c another player failed to play as many results, is the new higher ranked player deserving of their ranking, even though clearly the lower (old higher ranked player) is hell a lot better than them?

As you can see this is the case of the wta rankings system today. If you are able to come up w/ these types of questions, and show how clearly flaws can stand out, something needs to happen. Will they do something? I think when they added more bonus points, or points to the slams, they did this b/c of the big controversy of the System, and didn't want to look bad. I think they need to bring it up again. They didn't solve anything, and they haven't neutralized any types of flaws.

What things do you think need to be takin away from the Ranking System they have now?

I say the bonus points, 1 i see the reason for them, but when you take them away, where are they missed? I mean the following year, they are just going to be taken off for no reason, so why even use them? Its a definet that if you are going for the top, and start winning, you get the bonus points. But as you are looking in the case of number 1 now, she did that last year, this year at say Nasdaq, she repeat won again, and got 100pts less than last year. Why? B/c the ranking system is jacked. She didn't get those same bonus points, that 100 extra for beating number 1 or whatever, well if you are number 1 the following year, how the hell you gone even get the opportunity to atleast try for those 100 bonus pts again? Yes she beat 1, 2, 3, last year. But its not her fault, that she has not only become number 1, but number 2 was gone, and she only got to take out number 3. All those bonus points from last year, taken off her ranking for what?

I say get rid of the bonus points. If you win the tournie, you are deserving of the points and players you beat. Now following year comes, if you repeat, i say give them like 50 bonus points. For repating w/ winning the tournie. There should be no bonus points for beating top players. It makes no sense, b/c that top player may not be at the top anymore, or may loose early the following year in the tournie. Its like you first you get the bonus points, and the following year, you are depending on the player you beat last year, to get to play you again and try and get those bonus points again. Again, just flaws all over the place, and fucked up.

CJ07
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:02 AM
Monica is the 3rd best player out there
her results just dont show it

SerenaSlam
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:57 PM
Monica is the 3rd best player out there
her results just dont show it
i guess :rolleyes:

MarcusRock
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:03 PM
There was recently a bonus point thread. You can find it HERE. (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=60201) I'll even bump it up so you can read what everyone had to say there.

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:22 PM
The current top four are the top four, and in the right order. Each usually beats those above them, but not below.

Jarrett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
Uh, don't you mean "each usually beats those below them, and not above."

SerenaSlam
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:43 PM
Uh, don't you mean "each usually beats those below them, and not above."
yep sorries bout that

Spirit
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:52 PM
This is an interesting question. In my mind, I have a vague -- purely subjective -- idea of who I think is better than whom. Meaning that if Player A were to play Player B once a day for seven days in a row on a hard court, at their current levels of fitness but with both healthy (this is where a lot of my subjectivity comes in), I think Player <fill in the blank> would win 4 or more of those 7 matches.

Problems arise when I feel like Player A is better than Player B, who is better than Player C, who is better than Player A. It's the endless circle. :)

I feel like the top women in the world are Serena, Venus, Lindsay and Monica, in that order, with Jennifer and Kim right behind in some order. I know Kim has done well, lately, but I'm still not entirely convinced about her, and I really feel Monica is better than she is, especially mentally.

I have no idea where to put Justine, another who has done well lately but whom I'm expecting to crash back to Earth at any moment, kind of like those cartoon characters who suddenly realize they should be falling, then do. Let Justine continue her great results for a while and I'll move her up my mental list.