PDA

View Full Version : Top seeded Kournikova to play for 75K USTA Challenger in week of April 21.

~SunFlower~
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:58 AM
http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_2502.pdf

Anna heads back to Challengers since 1996 like Andre Agassi. :eek:

selesfan
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:59 AM
:eek: Good for her. :)

kournikovafan13
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:59 AM
omg......is this for real? :eek:

well i guess its a good decision....but it makes me sad to think that anna has come to this level now :sad:

Venus Forever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:00 AM
She better win it. :rolleyes:

GO ANNA!! :D

~SunFlower~
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:01 AM
Bet her coach spanks her to make her listening to him. About time! :eek:

GBFH
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:01 AM
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!
Wonderful decision, Anna :)

GO ANNA!!!!!!!!

Yak
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:02 AM
I'm sad in a way but I'm glad she realizes that she needs some match play to get some confidence back..

Get it back together Anna! :kiss:

Chance
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:05 AM
It's about time..

selesfan
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:06 AM
Isn't Anna playing the Family Circle Cup? :confused:

Yak
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:06 AM
What surface is this on? Hard I hope because there are some players on the list I'm scared off if it's on clay...

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:07 AM
Wow, I would have never dreamed it would come to this, but this at least shows she cares enough to try and get some match wins to boost her confidence and get her ranking back up. I hope she draws somebody like a Jamea Jackson first round to get that feeling of winning again ;)

However, If she gets to a stage where she plays challengers and can't even win at that level, something she could win when she was 15, she may have to re-evaluate her decision to play.

BTW, I wonder what the crowds will be like for this. Are they going to have to add extra seats? We certainly won't be seeing the normal 20-50 person crowd for the opening rounds, that's for damn sure :rolleyes: ;)

kournikovafan13
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:07 AM
It is clay

kournikovafan13
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:08 AM
Isn't Anna playing the Family Circle Cup? :confused:

lol, Charleston is next week...

Dothan is during the week of Fed Cup

Meesh
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:09 AM
Maybe she will draw NANCY LOEFFLER-CARO

Danke Anke
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:11 AM
I love Anna, but my bet is that she doesn't even make the final...

selesfan
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:12 AM
lol, Charleston is next week...

Dothan is during the week of Fed Cup

Thanks! I think it is great that Anna is playing a challenger, it shows she really wants to work at getting match tough. :)

GBFH
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:12 AM
I love Anna, but my bet is that she doesn't even make the final...

Therein lies the risk...what will this do to Annas' confidence if she fails to take the title?

CanadianBoy21
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:13 AM
Maybe she will draw NANCY LOEFFLER-CARO

& watch Anna GET bagelled by Nancy
:rolleyes: :eek: :p

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:14 AM
good decision by anna. i wish some other players do what she's going to do. they all get to that top level and think they are to good for challengers.

kournikovafan13
Nancy won't even make it into qualies ;) she's ranked too low

BK4ever
WTF...she won't play Qualies, but she will play Challengers :eek:

AjdeNate!
Scary for her, I bet. I mean for once she is *supposed* to win. Could be a harsh blow if she doesn't.

Meesh
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:15 AM
This commitment list looks like the qualifying list from Sarasota.

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:18 AM
if she wins it then that will be great for her because a $75k challenger is the top of the challenger events and it has a few good players in it. if she can win this then she should be able to win a tier v and i think winning this would refresh her mind that she is good enough to win titles on thw wta tour and she will fight more in her matches and have more confidence and match play.

Yak
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:23 AM
I will not predict anything but Anna has been losing to quality players this year(Husarova, JHH, Safina, Majoli) and except the match against JHH, Anna had a really good shot at winning! There is no one in the that list that is really a threat to Anna if she plays 60% of what she is capable off. But if the ''doubles faults and errors'' Anna play, there is the potential of a loss. We just never know with Anna these days! I really hope she wins to get some confidence and to prevent a Anna hater thread to come up........:fiery:

GBFH
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:24 AM
I will not predict anything but Anna has been losing to quality players this year(Husarova, JHH, Safina, Majoli) and except the match against JHH, Anna had a really good shot at winning! There is no one in the that list that is really a threat to Anna if she plays 60% of what she is capable off. But if the ''doubles faults and errors'' Anna play, there is the potential of a loss. We just never know with Anna these days! I really hope she wins to get some confidence and to prevent a Anna hater thread to come up........:fiery:

Absolutely agree :)
GO ANNA!!!!!!!

BK4ever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:28 AM
Who wants to bet that Anna will pull out?

Yak
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:29 AM

I was thinking about that too! If she gets some wins in Charleston and Amelia Island, I don't think she'll play!

auntie janie
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:31 AM

I was just going to post the same thing! :eek:

I'll believe it when I see it. Though, if she loses every match she plays till then, maybe she really will show up.

ys
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:31 AM
Brave little girl.. It definitely took a lot of guts for her to do that.. :wavey:

auntie janie
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:34 AM
I agree, ys. A lot of guts and a dose of humility as well. :angel:

tennischick
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:42 AM
so how come Alexandra Stevenson got bashed for playing a challenger event and Anna is getting hailed? :confused:

mind you i think that this is the best decision she has made in 2 years. but i hope they're not just using her name to sell tickets and then she doesn't show up. that would seriously suck.

anton
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:43 AM
go anna!

win this then the french open :wavey:

TennisHack
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:44 AM
WTF...she won't play Qualies, but she will play Challengers :eek:

My thoughts exactly . . .

Yak
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:46 AM
Alex played in a 25K! This is a 75K, a big difference. And Alex lost in the second round I think...LOL

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:47 AM
I will not predict anything but Anna has been losing to quality players this year(Husarova, JHH, Safina, Majoli) and except the match against JHH, Anna had a really good shot at winning! There is no one in the that list that is really a threat to Anna if she plays 60% of what she is capable off. But if the ''doubles faults and errors'' Anna play, there is the potential of a loss. We just never know with Anna these days! I really hope she wins to get some confidence and to prevent a Anna hater thread to come up........

i wouldn't say nobody is a threat.

irvin has beaten henin before and is a really good player when she is in form.

lee-waters is a pretty good player although she has lost the plot in her last couple of matches but she is still a threat.

voracova can play good tennis when she is in form. she is currently in a slump but if she finds form then she could be a threat.

and bielik isn't that bad of a player. she just beat a top 100 player in craybas so you can't count her out. but she does find it difficult to keep up her form and we are yet to see her go the distance in a tournament but she is still a threat.

60% there are quite a few threats. threats as in they can challenger her and give her a tough match where there will be tight situations which anna should be able to get through but there is a chance that these players could take the opportunity presented to them.

maybe if you had said 70% i would have agreed but i mean there are players that can play at that level. are few of the players are capable of playing top 50 level at least and in cases like irvin they are capable of even more than that.

but i do agree that anna has lost to quality players and she is playing at a level where she can win the tournament. i think based on form then anna really only has 2 threats and they are irvin and bielik (she did just beat a top 100 player although she lost to the #143 player in the next round in straight sets). but i don't really think beilik will get to far in the tournament because she finds it hard to get more than a couple of wins in a tournament so if she is on the other side of the draw to anna then she isn't a threat.

Hurley
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:50 AM
so how come Alexandra Stevenson got bashed for playing a challenger event and Anna is getting hailed? :confused:

Alex played a 25K and was ranked around 30. Anna is playing a 75K and is ranked 66. There SHOULD be players ranked around Anna in that draw. No way should anyone higher than 75 play in a 25K.

Anyway, there are good players in there. This is not a gimme. But if she's really going to play this, no one can say she doesn't seriously want to work at her game. There is absolutely no reason for her to play this other than the fact that she wants match play and wants to improve.

We'll see if it actually pans out.

CJ07
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:58 AM
great news anna
this shows shes really commited and knows she has to work her way up the ladder

and she hasnt been losing to nobodys
go Anna! strut yourself! (man shes hot)

bis2806
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:21 AM
hahahahaa lol@anna kournikova.... i thought i heard her say once that she'll never play challenger tourneys coz she thinks they are cheap and stink or something....

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:28 AM
Hope she goes through with it...and doesn't fuck it up. Good luck to her.

Yak
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:29 AM
HAHAHA @ you for being so stupid and ignorant! Get the fuck out of here...

ajayares
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:34 AM
It's amazing what "a" player has to do before they are seen to be committed in the eyes of some, practising hard, saying that you are committed, obviously isn't good enough these days.

geoepee
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:00 AM
I feel a little weird about Anna's decision, Best of luck to you Anna!

Jakub
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:16 AM
:eek: I wonder who tell her about that idea ;)

go hingis
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:17 AM
I'm not sure if I think this is a good descision.

If Anna does well, yes it will help.

But Anna is going to have so much presure she won't be concentrating on her tennis like she should be.

Messenger
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:59 AM
Alex played in a 25K! This is a 75K, a big difference. And Alex lost in the second round I think...LOL

This is a pic of Alex from that challenger

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl43526/fotohtm/photo/ste341p.jpg

How embarrassing for her to lose, but I guess it wouldn't be as bad as when Anna loses, if she loses. To Alex's credit though, some really decent results started coming at the end of last year - after she played the Challenger.

per4ever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:17 AM
I'm proud of you Anna!!!!!!! Great decision!

Players like Andre Agassi and Michael Chang proved that it's no shame to play challengers if you want to come back!!!

irma
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:54 AM
good luck anna :)

TatiAnnahølic
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:25 AM
Good choice Anna!! Playing all the weeks u can :)

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:36 AM
Finally! :bounce:

Best of luck, Anna! :) Did Andre Agassi played a challenger event in 1996? :eek: I didn't knew it! ;)

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM
Excuse me? Some of you Anna fans are getting on Alex for playing a challenger event and yet not Anna, so what if one is 75k and another is 25k? For one Alex and Anna are not of the same caliber YET. The fact that Anna is now being compared to Alex imho is showing that Anna has sunk low. I like Alex but she was or has never been in the top ten... and now all of the sudden they are both on the same level of what they shoudl be doing on the tour? Saying Alex embarrased herself is silly, like Anna hasn't. At LEAST ALEX TOOK THE RISK and played.

Anyway, I think this is the best news that I heard from Anna's camp in two years. Hopefully she'll play and do well. If she withdraws from this then it would be nice to see her enter some qualifying matches, she doesn't have to keep putting money in these tourneys pockets and forget about the management and what they think. TAKE THE RISK.

disclaimer: remember that dream.. lol

Crazy Canuck
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:12 AM
hahahahaa lol@anna kournikova.... i thought i heard her say once that she'll never play challenger tourneys coz she thinks they are cheap and stink or something....
And surely this is an exact quote...

Crazy Canuck
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Finally! :bounce:

Best of luck, Anna! :) Did Andre Agassi played a challenger event in 1996? :eek: I didn't knew it! ;)
Well he did stink his way down to 141 in the world at some point, so what else was there for him to do? ;)

irma
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:27 AM
yeah and he lost to christian vinck

tomo is still not over that match;)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:41 AM
And why should he be? ;)

Nothing beats the way that he tied in his Agassi comments to Saddam yesterday lol

wongqks
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:45 AM
Go anna, it is so great to see that, it is about time, even if she does not win it, so what, at least she can get some match practice. And more importantly at least we know that Anna is willing to lose her dignity and realise she is not playing at the level she needed ;) wow That challenger person must be jumping with joy now ;)

Dava
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:52 AM
At last this is a move that Ihave been waiting to see Anna make for nearly a year now. I hope she can win this title, its been so long since she even won an ITF title.

1jackson2001
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:11 AM
And if Anna loses early....

But of course she won't, she'll win the event! :D ;)

tyk101
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:28 AM
good luck Anna...

she just needs the confidence... once it's there.. she'll be winnign on the tour once again... also.. she beat Monica at an exhibition so I don't see why she can't win matches against the less likes

selesfan87
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:34 AM
Well, think of the brightside... Shes going to get some match experience, become stronger, and hopefuly become more focused.

I hope she can make it back up to the top again, she has the ability...

bilal
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Brave decision! Bravo Anna!
Good Luck!

Cilla
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:47 AM
Good for Anna :) Good Luck :)

matthias
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM
still more then 2 weeks to go, i´m sure she will withdraw late

Dava
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:53 AM
still more then 2 weeks to go, i´m sure she will withdraw late

Well if she does well at Charleston or Amelia Island she may not *need* to go.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:39 PM
:) Anna...Very brave decision...Take all the matchplay that you can get...Unless you do well in the WTA lead up tournies going into that challenger, I say just play it...:rolleyes: to all those who say anna isn't commited to playing tennis :rolleyes:

Martian Martin
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
Wow. I think this is a good decision, I mean there is going to be so much pressure on Anna, in fact more so than in most tourneys but Anna recognises the fact that she needs matches badly and this is a way of getting them, that's the whole reason for her playing this.
As far as I see it, she would have a free week from the tour because there are no regular tourneys that week so she might as well play here, she'll get more out of it than a week of practice.

I tend to agree that playing here could all depend on the next few weeks, but we'll see.

apoet29
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:15 PM
I have to ask why people, particularly Anna fans, are so enthusiastic over Anna entering a challenger event, yet object to her playing qualifying. Is there a reason for that?

Infiniti2001
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:36 PM
That's a pretty stronger field for a challenger but I can't believe Anna has gone back to the challenger circuit (which wouldn't even count as a "real" title should she happen to avoid getting thrashed by someone like Cargill). I am not a fan, but what is with her? She's really much better than she's playing. She can't use the injury anymore because she's long over it, and besides Chanda lost far more ground to injury and she's back in the top ten :eek:

King Lindsay
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:33 PM
it would count as a real title, actually. An ITF title, which Anna already has a couple of, if i recall.

andre played a few Challengers in late 1997, actually. Although, the difference between his ranking fall and Kournikova's is that andre chose not to play. He didn't struggle, he simply opted out of the tour for the better part of a year, save some ridiculous performance at wimbledon (doug Flach?). by the year's end, he was on the rocks with Brooke and decided to re-dedicate himself to the game. Worked pretty well for him.

I'll believe it when she plays her first match there.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:04 PM
Unless Anna does something like reach the quarters of the FCC and the 3rd round of Amelia, she needs to play here. Harold needs to force her to go. My worry is that Anna could play the FCC and do something like beat Craybas and then lose to Suarez in 3 sets and then say "Oh I'm back, screw the challenger." That could lead to more of what we have seen of Anna lately, rather than the top 10 Anna. She needs to base her decision to play the challenger on whether she has good solid wins in these 2 tourneys, and not a win over a WC. Ansley Cargill got to the quarters of a Tier V this week and I guarantee you her ass will be in Dothan, so Anna needs to go as well.

CB
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:24 PM
That's the best decision Anna has made since her downfall.

She needs to play low events to get her confidence back. If she's able to win, look for a nice clay season for her. Even clay. When she's confident she can be very good and surprising. :)

raquel
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:23 PM
Good Luck Anna! It will be interesting to see how she does, but she has made the right decision. :)

MarcusRock
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:58 PM
Kournikova doing this is a good idea for a poll. In fact, there's one right HERE! (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=63674) Vote!

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:28 PM
so how come Alexandra Stevenson got bashed for playing a challenger event and Anna is getting hailed?

Because if Alexandra Stevenson came up with the cure for cancer she'd be bashed. Black people who point out racism are rarely popular with whites. Alex isn't one of my faves, but I'd LOVE to see her win Wimbledon someday, just because it would piss off SO many people! Not as much fun as when Venus won Wimbledon, and shut all THOSE people up, but it would be a fun day.

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:31 PM
Why are people stating that if she does okay at FCC and AI that they feel it would be okay to NOT do the challenger?

HUH? I say do the challenger anyway..a few wins is not going to solve the problem?? Has it yet? NO!

She should play this challenger to get some confidence back.. to show herself that she still has it.Start from the ground up... work on focus/nerves and match play. If she doesn't play this challenger because she does okay at the FFC and AI, then I think she doesn't really give a damn about her game/head or tennis, like she should.

I say go for it, play this challenger or start playing some qualifiying.. What she may or may not do in FCC and AI should have no bearing becasue she could lose the next 5 matches.

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:55 PM
The bottom line is Anna Kournikova needs to start over. Maybe this is the new beginning. But more importantly she needs to go back to ripping the ball from all over the court with her former tremendous racquet head speed. That is what I want to and need to see from Anna. Playing it safe doesn't work for her. And it only makes her play more passively than she normally does.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:54 PM
The bottom line is Anna Kournikova needs to start over. Maybe this is the new beginning. But more importantly she needs to go back to ripping the ball from all over the court with her former tremendous racquet head speed. That is what I want to and need to see from Anna. Playing it safe doesn't work for her. And it only makes her play more passively than she normally does.
I AGREE :):):):)

maccardel
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:44 AM
I think with some players in there she will have trouble with. I feel sorry for her. Why don't she just take time off from other commitments and focus on tennis?

Yak
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Other commitments...maybe but she still practices 6-7 hours a day when she doesn't have tournaments and 2-3-4 hours when she is in a tournament. It's not like like her other commitments prevent her from practising! I don't think none of her other think are a part of her downfall. The main reason, is match play or the lack of. She doesn't have match because she gets injured, then she does rehab and gets back on the court and then gets injured! Simple as that!

Don't feel sorry for her because she is doing a thing that will likely give a spark to her tennis again!

sbmh
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:18 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Go luck Anna !
Win it !

Vincent
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Good luck Anna, win it.
Crush all the other girl :-)

SerialKiller#69
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:46 PM
well, this is a surprise. i wish her the best.

and dawn, your interpretation of my dream seems to be making sense now.

martinafan
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:51 PM
I'd really like for Anna to do well here so that she can get some confidence back. She is very talented and it is a real shame to see her ranked so low. I do hope she gets back into good form.

However, i don't think she'll win the title. My bet would be one of the good claycourt players, like Svensson.

Good Luck asa ;)

and also anna! :)

jojoseph
Apr 5th, 2003, 12:59 AM
I have to ask why people, particularly Anna fans, are so enthusiastic over Anna entering a challenger event, yet object to her playing qualifying. Is there a reason for that?

I am just curious as to who objects to her playing qualifying and why?

GBFH
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:06 AM

I don't think anyone does...I believe it's the opinion of a lot of posters that Anna believes she's too good to qualify.

However, my feeling is tournament directors don't want to risk losing her that early and demand she take the wildcards. I sincerely hope it isn't Anna who's objecting to entering qualifying...

jojoseph
Apr 5th, 2003, 09:35 PM
I don't think anyone does...I believe it's the opinion of a lot of posters that Anna believes she's too good to qualify.

However, my feeling is tournament directors don't want to risk losing her that early and demand she take the wildcards. I sincerely hope it isn't Anna who's objecting to entering qualifying...

she's given the gold exempt so why not use it has been the situation thus far

she hasn't had any problems getting into tournaments using that status so playing qualifying hasn't really been an issue yet

also, anna's mental state leaves a lot to be worried about, is all I'll say, she's a unique personality when it comes to pressure on the court and unlike most girls on the tour

*JR*
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:06 PM
I agree, ys. A lot of guts and a dose of humility as well. :angel: So well said, Janie, that I can't add a thing! ;)

baleineau
Apr 6th, 2003, 03:39 AM
this reminds me of her decision to play in some small tier IV events last year around this time, where she ended up doing badly overall. although a win here would count as an ITF title, it's not a WTA event, so technically she'd still be lacking a tour title. But she still has to (a) turn up and (b) win the damned thing.

i think too much time has passed since anna was a top-level singles player. 1999, 2001 and 2002 were all mediocre seasons. the trend since 2000 has been downward, with only a few glimpses of anna playing like a top-20 player.

i think she would do better to stick to the big events, and go through qualifying. in the oast, she kept getting WCs, and then losing 1r and 2r. if she tried qualifying, she'd come up against the top girls in the 1r and 2r still, but this time she'd have a couple of wins under her belt. by entering low tier events and challengers, anna is simply spending even more time away from top level tennis.

a victory in this challenger would seem quite hollow.

good luck against conchita ;)

Steam
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM

I am just curious as to why you always phrase your questions like it was something that you would see on a random college application or the SATs. Can you answer that? Oh yeah, and why?

butch
Apr 6th, 2003, 12:49 PM
at last she does the sensible thing... now please, just dont' lose in the 1st round again..

PatM04
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:13 AM
I live 20 minutes north of the site in Ozark. For some reason I haven't been able to post since I joined in January which is why my posts are so late. I'm very excited to here about her entry this year! It was an awesome touny last year! I'm sure it can only get better with here here now :) When the tourny begins I will have daily reports for you guys to enjoy:) My camera is not work right now so sorry but I don't think I'll hve pics :fiery: :fiery: I'm so glad that after 3 months of just reading your posts I can finally join in :)

PatM04
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Sorry for all of the typos. Sometimes my a's and K's won't type so forgive me:)