PDA

View Full Version : Venus Eclipsed? - Knot

GogoGirl
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:33 AM
But the thingy is: which player can take it to Venus every time they play - praytell. Until a player begins to whip Venus on a consistent basis - said player will usually end up on the short end of the stick.

I for one have sooooo much faith in Venus until it is not even funny. When my girl feels the right amount of pressure and desire - she'll strike back in a fashion. There is still no one as smooth and powerful than she IMO - other than 'Lil Sis - and she better watch her back. So in a nutshell - I am looking forward to Venus bringing on her own band of shock and awe.

Look out now!

"I STILL BELIEVE IN YOU VENUSSSSSSSS"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2003/04/01/tennis/

Venus Eclipsed

While Serena Williams dominates, her big sister no longer intimidates

By L. Jon Wertheim

Moments after losing to Meghann Shaughnessy in the fourth round of last week's NASDAQ-100 Open in Key Biscayne, Fla., Venus Williams let out a sigh of resignation. "You know, it's impossible to win every match," she said. Oh, really? Lately her younger sister, Serena, has been disproving that. After beating Jennifer Capriati 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 in the NASDAQ final on Saturday, Serena was 17-0 for the year and had lost only once since mid-August 2002. The gap that separates her from the rest of the field is, like her shoulders, impressively broad. "If I play my best," she says, "I don't think anyone can beat me."

The confidence that once carried Venus to victory seemed gone at the NASDAQ. Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Here's what must be particularly dispiriting to her colleagues: Serena was far from her best last week. She suffered from a stomach illness early in the tournament, and her game was mottled by errors. Still, until the final she had dropped not one set and had stayed on the court for an average of only an hour. In the semifinals Kim Clijsters, generally regarded as the leading candidate to unseat Serena, mustered only six winners and had little answer for Serena's power in a 6-4, 6-2 loss. The word invincible hasn't been bandied about the WTA tour this much since Steffi Graf's heyday. "Serena has absolutely no reason to lose this year," says her quarterfinal victim, Marion Bartoli.

Venus is another story. No doubt jolted by the success of Little Sis, Venus appeared uncharacteristically delicate last week. Both her tennis and her body language indicated there were places she would much rather be than on a tennis court. Though she gamely fought off eight match points before succumbing to Shaughnessy, she was beaten thoroughly 7-6, 6-1. Venus's swagger was missing, and other players smelled blood in the water. "I think we can see a little bit of a lapse in her game," says Jelena Dokic. "I don't think she's as solid as she was before."

Adds Clijsters, who may soon inherit the No. 2 ranking from Venus, "I'm sure [Serena] hits the ball even harder than Venus, and she serves better than Venus."

Other players have also picked up on Venus's tendencies. Her forehand breaks down under pressure. She has a hard time with serves into the body. Her second serve is easily attacked. "When you put Venus on the defensive, she is a different player," says Shaughnessy's coach, Rafael Font de Mora. "Her whole personality on the court changes."

Late in the Shaughnessy match, Richard Williams left his courtside perch, shaking his head in disappointment. When an usher offered a consoling pat on the back, Richard said, "It's O.K., Serena's still around." Is she ever.

Issue date: April 7, 2003

For more Inside Tennis see this week's issue of Sports Illustrated, on newsstands Wednesday, April 2. Click here to subscribe to SI.

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:34 AM
Just give Lena a couple more matches against Vee... :)

CJ07
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:37 AM
:rolleyes:

OH COME ON!!!
Venus won THIRTY FIVE matches in a row!
Sheesh!
People turn on you in a heartbeat in tennis
Venus has lost 11 matches in the past 19 months!
Give the girl a break!

Mad-About-Venus
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:18 AM
Didn't we all think the world had come to an end when Venus lost the first round of the French Open in 01? And what happened then? We all know.

It's totally up to her. It's either tennis or fashion design. Whatever she wants she'll do.

Sam L
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:29 AM
Venus cannot be eclipsed, she can only totally disappear behind the sun! ;)

tennisIlove09
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:36 AM
I believe Venus will regroup and go a on a ripper much like Serena has. I think that's the beauty of the Williams Sisters. They make each other improve. While we may not notice the improvements right now, in due time I think Venus will be the dominating force...until Serena picks it up again and takes over

SerenaSlam
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
also realize, venus hasn't lost the same player in the same year, i believe since 2000. Serena is the only player to have beaten her twice in 1 year. All of Venus losses last year, the ones she has gotten a chance to play again after that, she has beaten them again. With ofcourse the exception of Serena. And if you take Serena out the picture she has only lost 7 matches in the past 19 months! :eek:

CJ07
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:07 AM
you mean 6 matches!
exactly!
and the last time she lost to Shuaghnessy she won 4 straight tournaments, including the Us Open, pasting Serena in the finals

repeat history V!

1jackson2001
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:39 AM
Venus can never be eclipsed! :D

She just doesn't mind losing that much...she wants to win of course but she doesn't have a burning desire like in the past. But when she does have the desire..and really wants to win...beware the rest of the WTA tour! Including Serena! :devil:

Anyone who challenges Venus at Antwerp will get bitch-slapped off the court. :p :wavey:

Venus: "You mean you want the diamond-studded racket?! Hell no, bee-yatch!!" :eek: :worship:

LucasArg
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:59 AM
She will practice harder again and will beat her sister very soon.

GO VENUS! :wavey:

Chance
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:20 AM

OH COME ON!!!
Sheesh!
Give the girl a break!

I was thinking the same thing!

Venus prove your doubters wrong :bounce:

moby
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:06 AM

OH COME ON!!!
Sheesh!
Give the girl a break!

i agree.
i mean it's just the same way everyone was talking about martina

Dava
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:10 AM
Erm it will be interesting to see hoe both Meghann and Elena B playa against Venus next time, especially Elena B, it was the first time that they played, and although it was an exhibition, Venus was playing very well.

Infiniti2001
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:52 PM
Erm it will be interesting to see hoe both Meghann and Elena B playa against Venus next time, especially Elena B, it was the first time that they played, and although it was an exhibition, Venus was playing very well.

Venus has beaten Elena Bovina...
2001/03/05 San Diego Hardcourt 16 6-1-6-2

This article is so premature-- I guess the writer did not take any time to check Venus's record from '00 to present :rolleyes: