PDA

View Full Version : Will Kim Reach #1 By End Of Year?

GogoGirl
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:13 AM
I do declare! Kim has a chance on ending the year @ #1. Things are sure to start heating up on centre court.

Bring on the clay season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_wertheim/news/2003/03/31/mailbag/

Kim Clijsters was overwhelmed by Serena in the semis, but keep an eye on Clijsters' ranking. A stats savant made a good point to me: If Clijsters plays -- and does well -- in 20 events this year and Serena only plays her usual 12, Clijsters conceivably could finish the season ranked No. 1, even if Serena owns her head-to-head. Already Clijsters is set to move ahead of Venus next week. ...

Serendy Willick
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:15 AM
I do declare! Kim has a chance on ending the year @ #1. Things are sure to start heating up on centre court.

Bring on the clay season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_wertheim/news/2003/03/31/mailbag/

Kim Clijsters was overwhelmed by Serena in the semis, but keep an eye on Clijsters' ranking. A stats savant made a good point to me: If Clijsters plays -- and does well -- in 20 events this year and Serena only plays her usual 12, Clijsters conceivably could finish the season ranked No. 1, even if Serena owns her head-to-head. Already Clijsters is set to move ahead of Venus next week. ...

Umm, doesnt the wta only count the best of 17 plus doesnt Kim have a boatload of pts to defend from the grass season on. Plus I think if Serena defends her titles, (or makes a decent showing in the them) that it will make it just that harder for Clisjsters to get the number one ranking. However go Kim.

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:21 AM

So what if Kim gets the #1 ranking only because S&V don't play enough tournaments?

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:24 AM
I think if she gets close Rena will most likely pick up a few indoor tournys at the end of the year.

kell
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:27 AM
So what if Kim gets the #1 ranking only because S&V don't play enough tournaments?

:rolleyes: #1 is still #1 however she accomplishes it. Though personally I don't think Kim can do it. I wish she could, but its highly unlikely.

Serena is the deserving holder of the top position (well duh!) and will continue to hold it for the next couple of years. Maybe after then it'll be Kims time to shine.

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:31 AM
Serena is the deserving holder of the top position

And that's all that matters...

CJ07
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:40 AM
if Kim does get to #1 it proves the flaws in the system

it is possible though
if Kim plays 22 tournaments, the best 17 are used, not including her Sugiyama-like losses

if Serena plays 13 tournaments, and doesnt win everyone

its highly possible

Venus really should have been #1 from 2000 on but because of that same reason, she wasnt

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:42 AM
1999 proved the flaws with the system as Martina was #1.

The best player in a year, is who performs the best in Grand Slams. Case closed.

TennisHack
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:46 AM
1999 proved the flaws with the system as Martina was #1.

The best player in a year, is who performs the best in Grand Slams. Case closed.

Then why isn't it just based on Grand Slams? I don't quite understand why all the bitching and moaning, unless you think your player is getting shafted . . .

Of course, I am a student of the ATP's entry system, which seems a little less complicated, so please don't bite my head off.

Chris_Martin's_woman
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:48 AM
I hope so.................!!!!!!:bounce:

I gotta go.........bye yall!!!!:kiss::wavey:

Havok
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:51 AM
the only way that Clijsters will get to # 1 in the world is if she keeps up her form, but i doubt that she can do it for the whole yeas, but if Serena fails to defend her Grand Slam titels, she's gonna have a big shot at it.

kell
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:00 AM
the only way that Clijsters will get to # 1 in the world is if she keeps up her form, but i doubt that she can do it for the whole yeas, but if Serena fails to defend her Grand Slam titels, she's gonna have a big shot at it.

I can't picture anyone else winning a Grand Slam in the near future (unless Serena accidently gets hit by a bus or something :eek: )...but if she fails to win because someone else is better on that day (not because she's sick, not because she's tired, but because someone somehow manages to genuinely outplay her) that'd really make things interresting.

~|Naomi|~
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:02 AM

I think Kim can keep up her form for the whole year, and maybe only drop a little in form during the grass season.

doesnt Kim have a boatload of pts to defend from the grass season on

nope she has nothing to defend on the grass and only 404 for the entire US hardcourt season (189 in Stanford, 93 in San Deigo and 122 at US Open) so she doesn't have lots to defend till post US Open.

So if Serena fails to defend 1 or 2 GS titles and Kim happens to snatch one it is possible, but I doubt she will get it. But ofcourse I hope she does :D

CanadianBoy21
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:28 AM
well Serena is obviously going to win the rest of the slams this year ;)
so she will have 4000 points approximately just from her slams. I see Kim getting like 2000 points. Plus Serena will win the Wta Championship, and HAS won Nasdaq (Tier 1). Not to mention she will win the Canadian Open. And Serena doesn't even need to play the rest of the tournaments.
Venus meanwhile, unless she doesn't show she wants it, should not be considered to even give Serena a challenge.
Lindsay needs to do a makeover on her attitude, right here right now. well not here, but u know what I mean. Jennifer needs toget into better shape as she herself stated... Amelie needs to try to stay uninjured.

SerenaSlam
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:37 AM
:rolleyes: #1 is still #1 however she accomplishes it. Though personally I don't think Kim can do it. I wish she could, but its highly unlikely.

Serena is the deserving holder of the top position (well duh!) and will continue to hold it for the next couple of years. Maybe after then it'll be Kims time to shine.
so if Serena were to withdraw from say the French Open, and loose the number 1 ranking to Venus or Kim, but start back at wimbledon, probably number 2 or 3, and continue to beat Kim/Venus non stop, Kim is still number 1 no matter how she gets it?

This is why you people again just kill me. you all make no damn sense. I know you all see/believe this ranking system is fucked up. Venus/Serena couldn't even get to number 1 or 2 w/out adding tournies. They were already beating 1 and 2 in the world. And you know, the thing about it is, they weren't playing 1 and 2 in the extra tournies they added. It is so stupid. If Kim does get to number 1, she will need A LOT of help. She is really depending on the sisters, she isn't depending on her results at all this year so far. But true, after wimbledon, kim is going to really have to prove herself. this time last year was very shitty from Kim. Venus/Serena have had the pressure, can they keep it up, they have over the past 3 years. Now this is kim's first year, to really try and keep it up where she actually started. so we will soon see if she can. but number 1? She is lucky to even have the opportunity that Venus is letting her be number 2 for about 1 week. And again, that is basically by accident :)

SerenaSlam
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:42 AM
another thing, i believe serena has 2 or 3 warmup tournies for the US Open which she didn't win. Playing better than last year, those are just extra points she can add, and just become even more of a cushion for her going in to the US Open. After the open? Serena won only 1 tournie i believe. She will probably add about 2 more, so 3 before the championhips. And with the way the championships are formatted now, Serena or Venus will be the victor w/out a doubt. It just says williams/williams all over again.

Kim, yeah she doesn't have that many points to defend during us hardcourts. but mind you, again this is still the beginning of the year really. its like basically the entire tour except for Serena/Venus/Kim/Jennifer, have really showed a lot of rust. I exepct these players to be more into and start playing a lot better than so far. Like Lindsay D. and Monica Seles, and Amelie Mauresmo. All Three of these players can beat Kim or Jennifer on any given day. Venus/Serena, they have no chance unless they are completely off and forgot how to hit forehands and backhands, but anwayz, again it is still the very beginning of the year, we always make our predictions. so just start considering that factor into the play, and i think you all will start to realize, we should wait and then predict :)

thalle
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:05 AM
I think it's possible, but it'll be VERY hard for her...

bis2806
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:23 AM
answer: NO

E. Blackadder
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:23 AM
It's possible, but If she gets to #1 it's no flaw,

there is such thing as rewarding players who work their butt off week in and out for tennis, playing a lot of tournaments

Chance
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:36 AM
yes it's possibe betwee wimbly and USOPEN but after the USOPEN it's going to be unlikely according to my calculations

KIM has to defend 1727
Serena has to defend 1039
Venus has to defend 297

ys
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:58 AM
I see one possibility for Kim to be #1.

Her chances at US Open are very low. It's surface of Big Babes with punching power. Kim is not one. Her chances at Wimbledon are pretty low too - she is not a big server, not a serve&volley player. She doesn't have any aspects of the game that could elevate her on that surface above Williams sisters, Davenport and even Justine.

So, to have a chance for #1, she has to

- win French Open,
- hope that Serena doesn't win both remaining fast surface Slams,
- have a good indoor season

Given, that she had a good start of the season, it is not impossible.

I'd say -

70% - Serena
25% - Kim
5% - some natural disaster or someone else being #1

Ting
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:05 AM
Yeah Kim has a chance.
I really do wish she could reach NO.1, but I can see that it's quite unlikely to happen as Serena's points are way too more than hers plus she has a lot to defend after US Open so well maybe even if she played really well she might only be able to reach No.2 by the end of the year.

irma
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:09 AM
let her win a slam first.

Ting
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:13 AM
let her win a slam first.
We will see at Roland Garros:)

xin_hui
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
i think a lot depends on whether she wins the french...

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
a lot depends on whether serena defends her grand slams. if serena defends them ten there is almost no chance but if she does defend them then she won't defend the bonus points she gained last year.

but if serena doesn't defend them then if kim can sneak in with a win at one of them then kim could get close to serena and maybe even pass her.

but i'm not expecting it because i think serena is to strong at the moment for anyone to challenge her ranking. they have a hard enough time just beating her once let alone passing her in the rankings.

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:22 PM
I dont think she will, unless Serena gets injured or sick or something and cant defend her points.

nikita771
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:46 PM
I too think that it would be hard for Kim to take over the #1 ranking. I think that if Serena even thought that it was a possibility, she would do everything in her power to stop it. Serena loves being #1 and loves being the player that everyone is out to get. She's not going to give up that role any time soon.

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:25 PM
If Serena makes the finals of all the GS tournaments, AND Kim does NOT win a GS title, I think Kim would be hard pressed to end the year #1.

SerenaSlam
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:26 PM
It's possible, but If she gets to #1 it's no flaw,

there is such thing as rewarding players who work their butt off week in and out for tennis, playing a lot of tournaments
which rightfuly so she has done, but has only won 2 out of like what 5 tournies? And what if kim does reach number 1. w/out winning a slam, w/out beating the sisters. doesn't that all tell you that there is a flaw. that she really isn't deserving of number 1? you have got to be kidding me if you still think she would be deserving. For inorder for Kim to even look at number 1 or even 2 (even though she will get it for about a week) she is going to have to atleast win 1 slam, and also hope serena/venus don't do as well in a slam. which i highly doubt. they atleast give quarter final apperance in everyslam todate

lizchris
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:30 PM
For Kim to get to number one, she will have to win a Slam (none of the 12 women who have been number one got there before winning a Slam first). To date, that has not happened. Her best chance of winning her first Slam will be at the French Open because she has little chance to ever win Wimbeldon unless she improves her play on grass (where I think Justine has a better chance of winning her first Slam) and she will have to get past strong hardcourt players to win the US Open and there are too many at this point for her to do so (the sisters, Davenport, Capriati and Mauresmo are some expamples). If she doesn't do that, she cannot get to number one. BTW, with the new format at the year end Championships, I doubt she will be able to defend. Someone noted at the Nasdaq-100 that Serena could lose early at the next two Slams and still stay at number one because she is so far ahead of the field.

Dava
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:33 PM
If Kim players her noraml amount of tournaments and does reasonably well and nabs a couple of slams of Rena then I think she might, but the way rena is playing at the momment, I cant see that happening.

Kiwi_Boy
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:02 PM
I thnk (hope more than anything) that she may have a chance,small but still a chance, but as said before she will have to work damn hard for it.....

selesfan87
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:51 PM
Well if she does make the no.1 rank from playing around Serena because she can't beat Serena on a regular basis, then I would say that the no.1 rank doesn't reflect who really is no.1 (Like a while back when Hingis was still no.1 but Venus, Serena, Cappy etc where winning the big titles.)

Zenith
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:37 PM
Not by a long shot. The only reason why she is so close to Venus is because of Venus inactivity. Also how can a player becomes #1 without beating players ranked higher on a consistent basis :rolleyes: . This is just wishful thinking.

Also people are overlooking Venus in this equation. Suppose Venus should go on and win the next three slams, how will that hamper Kim's chance of becoming #1?

o0O0o
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Kim is quickly bypassing Venus. She is a better player and Venus' game has stagnated in the last year or two. Venus' only hopes to win a Slam are 1) Serena loses to another player and 2) Venus gets an easy draw. See Wimbledon 01.

Jericho
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Kim is quickly bypassing Venus. She is a better player and Venus' game has stagnated in the last year or two. Venus' only hopes to win a Slam are 1) Serena loses to another player and 2) Venus gets an easy draw. See Wimbledon 01.

kim a better player??? No, look at H2H, titles, record, etc.
Easy draw for Venus at Wimby 01'?? No
I hardly call beating Hantuchova, likhotseva, pretrova, tauziat, davenport, and Justine easy.
The only person getting easy draws is kim :rolleyes:

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:35 AM

Kim will be number two soon, but her stay there may be brief. While Venus is not defending her championship points at Amelia Island, she is playing the J&S Cup to replace the finalist points she will lose from Hamburg and will play the Italian Open where she has zero points to defend. Kim isn't going to play the J&S Cup to replace the championship points she will lose from Hamburg and she has semifinalist points to defend from the Italian Open, so it is possible she could fall back to number three by the French Open, but that depends on how she does at the German Open, where she lost in the second round last year.

Kim isn't a better player than Venus and the ranking from the past couple of years show that. Venus has not left the top 5 since 1998, whereas Kim has been ranked as low as number nine in the past couple of years, plus Venus has a winning record against everyone in the current top ten except her sister. Kim has a losing record against at leat three players in the currect top ten. You talk as if Venus has never won a Slam; last I checked, she has four, Kim has none. Also, the last time I checked, Venus has spent time at number one and Kim has yet to get there. So from where I stand, Venus is a better player than Kim and proved that when she beat her at Antwerp in February 6-4, 6-2.

1jackson2001
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Actually Venus beat Kim 6-2 6-4 in Antwerp.

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Actually Venus beat Kim 6-2 6-4 in Antwerp.

That's what I said.

Filip!
Apr 4th, 2003, 06:20 AM
That's what I said.

But she won against Serena in the Championships in 2 sets and she had 2 matchpoints against Serena @ the Australian Open!!! The last match, she had an off-day!

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Little chance for Kim to reach no.1! Look we're bound to witness a grand slam year by Serena, so how can Kim earn enough points to reach no.1?! Kim's a good player, but she doesn't have that special thing to be no.1! There isn't anything she can honestly say no one does it better. With Serena everyone knows she has the best serve and court coverage...but with Kim?! Finally,Serena is making her daddy proud! She has the potential to end very high on the all-time greats list!! Word!

cheeky
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:21 PM
But she won against Serena in the Championships in 2 sets and she had 2 matchpoints against Serena @ the Australian Open!!! The last match, she had an off-day!
no matter what way you look at it serena beat her in australia and recently at the nasdaq 100!!!

Serendy Willick
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Venus getting easy draws, I dont think so. I think you need to check your girl, Kims draws before you go with that statement. Her draws at the AO, Indian Wells, and Miami were absolute Jokes.

Serendy Willick
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Sorry, but if you dont convert those match points (or your opponent saves them brilliantly like Serena did) then it doesnt mean squat. You can look at it sideways, backwards, forwards, up and down, anyway you like but it will always read Serena defeated Kim 4-6, 6-3, 7-5. If Kim had an off day at Miami :rolleyes: than Serena had an off day at the championsips :rolleyes:

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Then she must have had an off day against Serena eight of the nine times they played because Serena's record against Kim is 8-1. I could easity say that Serena had an off day against Kim at the year-end Championships, but at least I can admit that Kim beat her by playing a better match. BTW, of the three times she played Serena this year, Kim lost in straight sets twice.

GoGoMaggie
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:13 PM
I still hope Kim will become the better player or at least as good a player as S. Williams. I don't think Kim will take over the no.1 ranking this year, though. If she gets to the no.1 playing more tournaments than Serena, does she deserve it? Of course she does. It's S. Williams' fault. Everyone knows how the ranking system works. If she doesn't player enough events to stay ahead, she has none but herself to blame. I'm sure if S. Williams played more tournaments, she would lose more matches. She always withdraws when she's not in good form. If Kim did the same, I'm sure Kim's win and loss ratio would pick up. But Kim is responsible enough not to make a last minute withdrawal.

victory1
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Maybe it was Serena who had the off day at the championships, the record speaks for itself 8-1!!!!!!!!! ;)

SerenaSlam
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:36 PM
you people will never settle anything around her. if serena were to beat kim clijsters 61 62, and kim had 2 errors and 9 winners, served at 75%, serena had like 33 winers 11 errors, served at 75 %, had about 12 aces. you would still say kim had an off :rolleyes: