PDA

View Full Version : Czech's Consider Withdrawing from Fed Cup Due To War

Venus Forever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:57 PM
Report: Czechs consider withdrawing from Fed Cup because of war

April 2, 2003
PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) -- The Czech Republic might withdraw from its first-round Fed Cup match in the United States because of fears about a possible terrorist attack, a newspaper reported.

``Our feelings are based on what's going on in the world,'' Czech Tennis Association head Ivo Kaderka said, according to the Web edition of the Mlada Fronta Dnes daily.

The best-of-five Fed Cup series is scheduled for April 26-27 in Lowell, Mass. The Czechs will decide April 16 whether to play, the report said.

``We have not been contacted by the Czech Federation. We're looking forward to a sold-out Fed Cup event,'' U.S. Tennis Association spokesman David Newman said Wednesday.

Sisters Serena and Venus Williams have been chosen to lead the U.S. team. It would be the fifth time in Fed Cup history that the world's two top players will be on the same team. The United States has won a record 17 Fed Cup titles.

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM
Fear of terroism or fear of Venus and Serena???

Serendy Willick
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:59 PM
The war is in Iraq, not the United States.

mboyle
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:05 PM
They might as well withdraw. They are guranteed to loose:o .

miranda_lou
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:21 PM

I think they're trying to find a way out and the war and the fear of terrorism is as good an excuse as any.:rolleyes:

It would take a miracle for them to beat the U.S. so why come all this way. Of course, the fact that the Czech players are probably already in the states because the last THREE tournaments have been here, is beside the point.:eek: Refusing to play because of "terrorisim" is better than being bageled in every match.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Sort of like when the Americans withdrew from the Fed Cup finals at the end of 2001. Clearly they were scared of being bagelled.

Afterall, there was no war going on in Europe at the time.

griffin
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:28 PM
And no terrorist attacks, and there were already Americans playing there at the time...

griffin
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:29 PM
If they do pull out, I will have just as much respect for the decision as I did for the USTA's.

Venus Forever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
Sort of like when the Americans withdrew from the Fed Cup finals at the end of 2001. Clearly they were scared of being bagelled.

Afterall, there was no war going on in Europe at the time.

But see, that is quite different.

9-11 just happened a few months before, and it was against the US. Sure, Europe had nothing to do with it, but terrorism just hit the US personally. It was directed at the US and the Fed Cup team would be in danger because they are playing for the US.

There have been bombings in Africa at US embassies(sp?), so why could that not happen in Europe?? No where was it safe to be an American during that time, and fear was high. I think it was quite understandable.

Vicky88
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:00 PM
Think some of you might need to widen your reading material. This war is going to result in retaliation against all western nations. If anyone sitting in the US really believes that you are safe because the war is not in the US, but taking place on the ground in Iraq, I think you need a reality check.

Personally I think every time you board a plane these days one has to wonder is it safe? What makes you think they aren't going to start having suicide bombers in the US?

I think you have to respect that players have the right to decide when and where they take any risks that affect their life.

Jem
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:03 PM
Agree with Vicky. I understood quite well the U.S. reasons for withdrawing from the Fed Cup in Spain in 2001, and I'll support the Czech decision as well. If you have reason to believe -- or feel -- that your safety is compromised by competing somewhere, then it's well within your perogative to opt out. Too bad for the sold-out Fed Cup, but there are a lot more important things to worry about than that.

TennisHack
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:05 PM

You know, that's very short-sighted and insulting. The Czechs as a people have lived through more war-related horror than the Americans so if they are a bit wary of feeding themselves into a possible terrorist target, so be it.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:07 PM
I don't know how you could see this as an excuse on their part .... The US is always under some Orange, Red or whatever alert...and the news is constantly discussing how XXX terror group is planning suicide missions. Obviously a lot of people would be dissapointed but there is no need to ridicule them over it.

Dawn Marie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:18 PM
If they want to pull out due to terrorism then I can understand(somewhat that) ...BUT why does it take 2 weeks to decide? If they are that fearful then just state "we are not playing.. sorry"?

A part of me thinks that they just don't feel like wasting a trip because they know Serena and Venus are going to be tough to beat.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:22 PM
They may be waiting to see what the climate of the war is....maybe hoping it will be over!

Dawn Marie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:36 PM
Hmm maybe but if you're afraid of terrorism the war ending tomorrow will not stop what you plan on withdrawing for.

I don't think the War will end that soon.. America is underestimating the Iraq people.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:40 PM
I don't know...I guess they are still contemplating...who knows...

fammmmedspin
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:42 PM
The Czechs are pretty robust on the war - they have deployed troops to Kuwait to deal with any chemical warheads Saddam chucks that way (as have Slovakia) so dislike of the war is not the reason. If they were afraid of terrorism in general none of their players would be in the USA at all. Its hardly likely that Bin Laden is sitting in his current cave looking for Lowell Mass in his terrorists atlas so a specific threat isn't likely. They might think it improper to play tennis whilst their forces are in action - but thats really an argument for the US players. Conclusion - it makes no sense at all.

Rocketta
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:51 PM
I just hope they make up their mind quickly so if they cancel Venus will still have time to pick up a tournament. :D

selesfan
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:05 PM

LOL! I'm not laughing at the war but the comment struck me as funny. Of course, I understand why they might want to pull out.

Rocketta
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:08 PM
keep wishing :p :wavey: I'm afraid she withdraws from Warsaw :eek:

What is going on with that girl?? how many tournaments is she planning on playing this year? 10???

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:21 AM
Who would be on the Czech team?

BK4ever
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:15 AM
Czechs...please don't cancel because I have tickets :sad:

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:37 AM
I hope they will... I bought tickets, but lost any interest. Tickets are unreturnable. That would solve my problem.