PDA

View Full Version : Tauziat To Return To Birmingham

Venus Forever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:48 PM
Tauziat to Return to Birmingham
Posted on 4/2/2003 at 8:49 AM

TAUZIAT CONTINUES LOVE AFFAIR WITH DFS CLASSIC

Nathalie Tauziat, the former Wimbledon finalist and twice-winner of the DFS Classic, tournament in Birmingham, is to make an emotional return to the Edgbaston Priory Club for this year’s event.

Nathalie, the 35-year-old Frenchwoman who has gone into coaching after earning around $7m in career prize money, will be a guest of honour at the pre-Wimbledon grass court tournament.

She has been invited to the tournament (June 9-15) as part of a unique link-up with Warwickshire LTA. Nathalie is already an honorary life member of the club and she invited youngsters from the county futures performance squad to France for a camp recently and will bring over youngsters from across the channel as part of a reciprocal agreement.

Tickets are now on sale for the DFS Classic which offers top class action from leading stars on the women’s tour. Last year Jelena Dokic won the tournament and the organisers are expecting another high class entry list in 2003.

Ticket prices range from £6 on the first day to £15 for the final. Weekly passes are available, priced £50. Contact the ticket hotline on 0870 909 3015. Discounts for groups, LTA advantage members and senior citizens are on offer and a free junior ticket can be claimed at time of purchase when an adult ticket is bought.

ASV
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:50 PM
does that mean that she will be playing or just watching?

Venus Forever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:55 PM
does that mean that she will be playing or just watching?

I know, the article isn't that clear.

I suspect her to play doubles, if she does play. But then, Martina did it last year, so, we'll see. She's probably there to watch.

Caz
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:43 PM
Hopefully she come back and play doubles there again this year!! She and Kim Po made the finals last year.

King Lindsay
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:57 PM
Didn't they present her with a really special award one of the last years she played there? I remember because she was playing sidot and they were going to present the award after the match, and Nath got up like, 7-5 5-1, but it wound up going to three long sets before Tauzita finally prevailed. They had to wait to give her whatever it was. ;) :D

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:07 PM
Oh geez :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:23 AM
I thought she announced a return of sorts in doubles.

treufreund
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:18 AM
She is playing dubs with Navratilova. Just kidding ;) but that would be 81-82 of life experience on such a team. Anyways happy to see Nathalie still around. She had a temper but I liked her realness and she was funny. ALLEZ NATHALIE!

TM
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
the only time i saw her last year was jen and serena's semifinal match at roland garros. she was sitting near stefano. i miss this crazy french bitch.

Tripp
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:43 AM
I just loooved that flat backhand she had. Hope you come back Natalie!

Eric_tennis
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:59 AM
It would be great if Natalie is playing this event or some grass court tournament. WTA has been suffered from lack of diversity since Martina H's retirement.
If they can bring back some of old players such as Natalie, Jana Novotna, Sandrine T and Julie H.D.,.. WTA would get some interest again, I think.
:D

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:39 AM
Navratilova/Tauziat would be great team!! ;)