PDA

View Full Version : Mary Pierce defeats Bartoli 6-4,6-2 in Sarasota

selesadmirer
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:57 PM
wow what a good win for Mary pierce i hope she continues to play good tennis because she is talented and i miss her being in the top 10...Go mary take the title :wavey:

nikita771
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:00 PM
Go Mary!!! I'm really excited for her.

Mark43
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:07 PM
Great win for Mary. I hope she has been able to whip herself into shape the past few weeks and she is ready to make an impact during the clay season. I would love nothing more than to hav Mary back at the top where she belongs.

Are there any pics from the match online?

Go Mary! :)

:wavey:

Mase
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:12 PM
Wow, good win Mary! :-)

eshell
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:18 PM
Mary's game always moves me. She strikes the ball so well (when she's in match shape).

Let's hope she keeps working and regains a place among the elite.

Kiwi_Boy
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM
Thank goodness!-I had my fingers crossed that she would win :bounce: :D

matthias
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:00 PM
well done Mary :D

jmp
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:12 PM
:D Hang in there Bartoli. You're young and unorthodox. I hope we see more of you. :)

:bounce: Congratulations Mary! Keep up the positive results! :bounce:

schris
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
Congrats Mary ! :D

mboyle
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:33 PM
:eek: ! I would have thought Bartoli had this:o . GOOOOOOOOO MARY! I luv you Mary!:kiss:

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:48 PM
I am glad the "old lady" still has what it takes to win matches. But she still has a looooooooong way to go to see if she can still battle the top.

Jippo McScally
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:01 PM
Well Done Mary! :D

Monica_Rules
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:05 PM
Well Done Mary:)

Smart
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:17 PM
Marion :sad:

Congrats Mary.

Light-skinned Girl
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:38 PM
Marion :sad:

Congrats Mary.

*Exactly* Marion :sad:

Bероника
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:56 PM
:sad: Better luck next time Marion!
Congrats Pierce!

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:57 PM
at least Marion held serve :)

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:02 AM
not much of a surprise to me. last year at the french open she hadn't played for awhile and still made the quarters. she's just really good and really confident on clay.

selesadmirer
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:16 AM
Pierce wins first-round match
From Yahoo Tennis

April 2, 2003
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) -- Mary Pierce overcame blurred vision to beat Marion Bartoli 6-4, 6-2 in the first round of the $140,000 Sarasota Clay Court Classic on Wednesday.

Pierce, who has adopted Sarasota as her hometown, used her edge in experience to counter the quick 19-year-old Bartoli in a battle of French natives.

The 28-year-old Pierce, ranked 44th in the world, had problems with her contacts throughout the match.

ADVERTISEMENT

``About 90 percent of the match I played with blurry vision, Pierce said. ``I've been trying new contact lenses and my eyes were drying up very quickly. There was one play where she asked me if a ball was out and I told her I couldn't tell because I was having problems seeing the ball.

``But I felt pretty good. It's nice to play again. I've been off for about five or six weeks since my last tournament and it's special playing at home and having my friends come out and support me.''

Pierce, a former French and Australian Open champion, has won 15 singles titles and more than $6 million in career earnings.

``I tried to mix it up with her and hit some drop shots and go for the angles because she is a pretty good player from the baseline,'' Pierce said. ``I tried to do things to make her move a little bit more and open the court up. She might have been nervous because she is from France and felt this was a big match.''

Wild card Ansley Cargill, who upset third-seeded Patty Schnyder in the first round, won again. The 21-year-old American, ranked 112th, beat Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.

Russia's Nadia Petrova also beat countrywoman Elena Likhovtseva 6-4, 6-3.

Didn't Mary Pierce get Laser eye surgery? The article says she wears contacts.

Berlin_Calling
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:25 AM
Mary did get laser eye surgery but I guess shes back to contacts. Those contacts have always gave her so much trouble :(

Gandalf
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:07 AM
I think the surgery didn't work very well for her, and after some months she had problems again, so she went back to contacts.

Anyway, well done, Mary :)

Good luck against Demetieva. In clay, she has a good chance and it would give her a lot of confidence.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
Marion :(

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:34 PM
I hope Mary will win the title. Go Mary!

Edman
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:04 PM
Mary,you have done a good job!!

please keep going,my queen!!