PDA

View Full Version : Why do these players get little attention?

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Tatiana Panova:

For a girl that's been consistent Top 30 for the past few years, she gets NO attention at all. Nobody talks about her... even in the Russian thread.

Nathalie Dechy:

The forgotten French player.

Laura Granville:

A US player in the Top 35... and nobody cares.

Elena Bovina:

Yes, I had to add her. :) She only gets love on this board because she has a few obsessed fans like me, janie, me, Eggy, me. You never hear anything about her outside the court, and most tennis enthusiasts don't recognize her as a threat. It's a joke considering she's Top 15, probable Top 10, and extremely gorgeous.

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
Leena I think Bovina gets loads of attention everyone raves about her, all the TV critics, etc. I love Elena, and so do all the tennis experts!!!!

As for the others, they have been fumbling around the 11-30 area for a while, and not really gone anywhere, so I guys they just become the 'also-rans' on the tour.

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:58 PM
Hmmm... I guess they rave about Lena in Europe, not here though. :sad:

selesrules
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:59 PM
Why do these players get little attention?

Because they are not Anna :worship: :worship:

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:00 PM
Elena gets loads of attention, I know plenty of Elena fans.
Same with Dechy.
You are right about Panova and Granville though.
But they never make the later rounds of tournaments so people don't get to see them play on tv.
Me for example, I've never watched Granville play...(and I find Panova's game extremely dull :o)

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:01 PM
Hmmm... I guess they rave about Lena in Europe, not here though. :sad:

Really... not even after she beat Venus, maybe its becuase where you live you dont have Annabelle Croft presenting, as she was the team captain for Europe, when Leena won.

and yeah... I dont even know what Granville looks like.

selesfan
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:43 PM
Tatiana Panova:

For a girl that's been consistent Top 30 for the past few years, she gets NO attention at all. Nobody talks about her... even in the Russian thread.

Nathalie Dechy:

Laura Granville:

Elena Bovina:

Yes, I had to add her. :) She only gets love on this board because she has a few obsessed fans like me, janie, me, Eggy, me. You never hear anything about her outside the court, and most tennis enthusiasts don't recognize her as a threat. It's a joke considering she's Top 15, probable Top 10, and extremely gorgeous.

Pam and Mary Joe talk about Elena a lot and how she is probably the best Russian player at the moment due to her serve.

auntie janie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:55 PM
Tatiana and Nathalie don't get more attention due to the fact that no one sees them as rapidly rising stars or as potential top-five players, I think. Nor are they controversial or fame-seekers.

Laura Granville is sadly slipping through the media cracks the way Mary Joe Fernandez always did. I was shocked to see how high her ranking is! :o

Elena is popular with the media guys because she is so outgoing, so forthcoming (like Lindsay), & so friendly with them. So she will definitely be getting more notice very soon, you'll see. :hearts:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:57 PM
Elena's noticed ;) some now BUT
she will be noticed more and more :) :D

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:12 PM
Pam and Mary Joe talk about Elena a lot and how she is probably the best Russian player at the moment due to her serve.
That's what I get for muting them. :p

irma
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:15 PM
our commentator who hates the whole wta sees potential in Bovina;)

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:21 PM
Tatiana and Nathalie don't get more attention due to the fact that no one sees them as rapidly rising stars or as potential top-five players, I think. Nor are they controversial or fame-seekers.

Laura Granville is sadly slipping through the media cracks the way Mary Joe Fernandez always did. I was shocked to see how high her ranking is! :o

Elena is popular with the media guys because she is so outgoing, so forthcoming (like Lindsay), & so friendly with them. So she will definitely be getting more notice very so, you'll see. :hearts:
I know that about Lena... she's one of those girls that never shuts up. :p She's uber-friendly, and talks with everyone... the fans, herself. Lena's is the most unshy person I've ever met.

That's why I'm surprised that I hear NOTHING about her life off the court. There's pics of lower players doing photo shoots, photos at parties... rumors that she's banging some Russian hockey stud... nothing of Lena like that.

Nina_rus
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM
With Tatiana, I think it's because no one expects her to do very well, she wins the matches she's supposed to but rarely jumps over her usual level, she's not trying to be in the spotlight, plus I guess some people find her game a bit boring and also most don't find her looks attractive.

Come-on-kim
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
Tatiana Panova:

Nathalie Dechy:

Laura Granville:

Elena Bovina:

I agree about Nat and Tatiana

But for Elena and Laura no! They are both young!! You know, I'll take the example of Kim until last year when she won the WTA year end championships she was being ignored by the medias!! You can see the proof because there was a treat about that in the General Message in May 2002! So, she reached a GS final, but the media's didn't care! I even remembered that there were many more pics of Kournikova who lost in Bol, than pics of Kim who won in Hambourg!

leslie
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:37 PM
You have to win to be notice or beat a Williams sister; that sure would get you notice. It got Kim and Liot notice.

ASV
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:54 PM
Bartoli, Cho, Gagliardi, Vinci, Safina, Krasnoroutskaya, Rodionova, Mandula, Shaughnessy, Garcia, Farina, Kremer, etc.

Arantxa never got any attention. Some players aren't meant for the spotlight...just for the record books :)

miranda_lou
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:56 PM
Arantxa was considered "boring" by the media, especially in the U.S. I personally liked her (except when she beat Stef) but the media didn't. Even though she belongs in the Hall of Fame, some people are doubting she will get in. That would be a real shame. :mad:

Venus Forever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:59 PM
Don't worry, I'm always rooting for Laura.;)

brunof
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:38 PM
Add Siliva Farina Elia to the list of unoticed players. She has remained consistant for a few years, with steady player, but no one notices her.

Add Shaughnessy to that list.

GoDominique
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:49 PM
What you need is a run at a Grand Slam IMO.

Tatiana loses always in the 1st round (often enough at least). Nathalie hasn't done very well either, as far as I remember. Same for Silvia.

Or at least reaching a huge final, like IW or Miami. Not too many people check the lower rankings regularly and say 'wow, Panova is ranked really well'.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:21 PM
For me, it's a BONUS when a player doesn't get that much attention. That is what I like so much about Nathalie. People can ONLY be impressed since they never had any expectations to begin with. And yes. Some players are not meant for the spotlight. And I loooooove it :)

Iconoclast
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:56 PM
Tatiana loses always in the 1st round (often enough at least). Nathalie hasn't done very well either, as far as I remember. Same for Silvia.
Although you have been certified as the board's No. 1 Tatiana Panova Hater, which should allow you some leeway in your statements regarding her, I can't let this factoid slip past.

In her last 8 Slams, Tatiana has only lost once in the first round. Prior to her general improvement in 2001, the record wasn't as good.

And you can't accuse her of hitting the fourth round with regularity - as she has never been there - but losing in the first round is demonstrably a habit she has shed.

Iconoclast
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:19 AM
I would agree with Panova, Granville, and partly Dechy as being largely ignored. But certainly not Bovina. Her name keeps popping up everywhere I go.

Other "anonymous" figures in the Top 50 include:

Maggy Maleeva. Incredibly durable and consistent, but gets very few nods.

Lisa Raymond. A bit of talk about her exploits in doubles, but as a singles players she is practically a non-entity. How many people have her as their primary favorite? Zero?

Clarisa Fernandez. Lots of buzz during and immediately following RG, but since?

Elena Likhovtseva. Shares fate with Tatiana, in that both of them are overshadowed by the many up-and-coming Russians. And neither of the two are charisma chicks.

Francesca Schiavone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my impression that she has relatively few fans.

Katarina Srebotnik. Another player who is permanently on mute.

Daja Bedanova. Lots of noise when she reached a US Open QF. Both form and attention have gone shopping since.

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:29 AM
Well maybe Lena does get attention... but not as much as she deserves. Everyone should love her like I do. :p

Iconoclast
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:34 AM
Well maybe Lena does get attention... but not as much as she deserves. Everyone should love her like I do. :p
It just dawned on me how and why her name keeps popping up.

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:39 AM
It just dawned on me how and why her name keeps popping up.
...and I'm doing a fine job of it. :)

kell
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:47 AM
Poor Tatiana! I've noticed the lack of attention she gets as well. It's only coz she's not as attractive as some other Russian Tennis players. But she can outplay most of them any day.

Messenger
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:48 AM
Well if they had noisy, rude and annoying fans they would get more attention. But, unfortunately, they don't. :)

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:53 AM
Well if they had noisy, rude and annoying fans they would get more attention. But, unfortunately, they don't. :)
Not fans... just fan. Thanks. :)

Messenger
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:56 AM
No not you. What I meant was, part of the reason they don't get any attention is because they have few and quiet fans. Which is a good thing, when you notice some of the hate that some fans generate here.

fammmmedspin
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:09 AM
Elena B is getting lots of attention from people who follow the game. Poll the board and ask who in the 10-20 ranking range has most potential. Tatiana is growing a reputation as a real fighter - she will be more obvious if Amanda retires from the little assassin post.
The others suffer from having more succesful compatriots and lack of really noteworthy giant killing exploits (if you are French you have had Amelie, Mary, Nathalie T and Sandrine to draw your support) The US is spoilt for players at present - though their lower ranked players may have their day when Monica and the top 10 US players all retire. Now, if any of these players were British with their current rankings they would be worshiped.......

Leena
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:12 AM
Elena B is getting lots of attention from people who follow the game. Poll the board and ask who in the 10-20 ranking range has most potential.

That's not saying much though...

The only players in the Top 20 range that haven't been in the Top 10, and are young are Lena and Eleni.

fammmmedspin
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:37 AM
The fact that Elena B is so highly regarded and many feel she should go higher when she is surrounded in the rankings by a host of former top 10 ( and top 5 ) players is a sign of just how good we think she may be ?
If she was ranked with a bunch of unknowns it wouldn't be difficult to stand out?

Maggie illustrates both the generation gap and TV coverage problems I think. If you were watching when she was at her most successful you became a fan, if not, how many Maggie matches are shown per year?

Francesca needs to get her top 20 ranking (or near to it) - getting it will get her visability as she appears further on into tournaments. As she gets visibility, people will notice that she combines many of the qualities of Amanda, Patty and Conchita to name but 3. She also stands a chance of joining the team of potential giant killers which has been markedly understrength since Sandrine retired. A few more wins over the top 5 will get her noticed.

Havok
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:53 AM
well until they really DO something and back it up with something else, they won't be popular.