PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova has looks; not wins. Great positive Anna article

Yak
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:39 PM
She is famous for being famous, a model striking a pose: Anna Kournikova, tennis sensation.

Her beauty isn't win deep.

And that bothers some people. They see her on magazine covers in which her body's not so covered; one proclaimed she is the sexiest woman in the world. We never see her kissing the winner's trophy, because the next tournament Kournikova wins will be her first.

Her injuries now outnumber the victories. Her celebrity eclipses her tennis so completely we forget which came first. She said she didn't seek celebrity but is glad it found her.

I took an unscientific poll of 10 spectators before Kournikova's match against Iva Majoli Tuesday night and asked if they knew whom Kournikova was playing.

Eight didn't know. All didn't care.

"She's every guy's favorite player," said ball girl Krista Baitinger.

Baitinger is 13.

They came to see Anna, and she looked fetching. Baby blue tennis skirt contrasting golden tan legs. White long-sleeve shirt showing a hint of midriff. Tight blonde braid.

Want to know what was really sexy? Anna's game.

Playing Majoli, the 1997 French Open winner who's ranked No. 31 in the world, Kournikova fell behind 5-0 in the first set. It would've been easy to fold like a centerfold. She had withdrawn from her last two tournaments after injuring her back in the Australian Open. People would've been satisfied to see another pretty face, the face of style over substance.

Instead she displayed grit, gumption, guts. Whatever you want to call it, she had it. She won the next four games and the second set, chasing volleys sideline to sideline and hitting winners as crisp as the evening. She argued line calls and bounced her racket off the clay after mis-hits. She dropped an F-bomb once, frustrated with herself. Petulant? You bet. Passionate? That too.

She's been working with coach Harold Solomon for nearly a year. Solomon's credited with resuscitating Jennifer Capriati's career.

"My commitment to tennis has always been there," Kournikova said. "I'm tired of saying that. I don't have to prove that to anybody."

Majoli remembers watching Kournikova at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton. She remembers her as a hard worker.

''I still think she works very hard," Majoli said.

We'll see. She once was a Top 10 player, a 1997 semifinalist at Wimbledon. She's still a one-and-done player, knocked out of tournaments as quickly as a tennis string snaps.

She is famous for being famous, a model striking a pose: Anna Kournikova, tennis sensation.

Her beauty isn't win deep.

But on this night she showed something more. She showed some depth.

eshell
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
It would be great for women's tennis if Anna regained her ranking and won a tournament.

Hopefully her hard work will lead to good results.

:)

vw43
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Nice article on Anna :)

empiremaker03
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:08 PM
"She's every guy's favorite player," said ball girl Krista Baitinger.

uhhh excuse me ball girl but many *guys* much prefer someone who wins (won :sad: ) like Hingis or better looking players such as Catalina Cristea ;)

miranda_lou
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:50 PM
Nice article on Anna

Oh, really. :rolleyes: I thought it was very sad both for Anna and for womens' tennis.:sad: I saw Anna get beaten, badly, by Dinera Safina at the Nasdaq and she played terribly and afterwards the media interviewing Safina only wanted to know what she thought of Anna.:o Isn't that ridiculous???

One thing though, Safina has won a tournament which is something Anna will never be able to say.:hearts:

Pamela Shriver
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Kournikova has looks; not wins.

Just like me.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:32 PM
Oh, really. :rolleyes: I thought it was very sad both for Anna and for womens' tennis.:sad: I saw Anna get beaten, badly, by Dinera Safina at the Nasdaq and she played terribly and afterwards the media interviewing Safina only wanted to know what she thought of Anna.:o Isn't that ridiculous???

One thing though, Safina has won a tournament which is something Anna will never be able to say.:hearts:
why do u have to be like that? the interview had 3 questions about anna :rolleyes: thats not too much...and she will win a title :rolleyes:

anyway, it was a good article. i know anna hits awesome winners all the time, but the serve is so bad. she cant win with it and until it gets fixed she will never win too many matches. its time to work on some things anna...nice winners, grit, hard work and an occasional stroll to the net arent gonna do it...

selesfan
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:13 PM
Just like me.

LOL! But you had some wins Pam. ;)