PDA

View Full Version : Jen- Line Calls/& Crowds......

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:55 PM
I was watching some of old matches Venus vs. Jen 2001 Miami Venus vs. Jen 2001 Us Open Semi, Serena vs. Jen 2002 Miami and Serena vs. Jen 2003 Miami. And It was very shocking to me what Id established. Jennifer and her getting mad and the line calls.

This happens so much. Venus/Serena have always hit the balls very close the the lines. But this is what gets me w/ Jennifer. The only time she seems to question the calls is when the crowd gets loud and fired up over the calls. There are so many examples in these matches it ain't funny. Take 2001 US Open Semi against Venus. Venus hit a forehand very close to the line, there was a little murmor, then venus just blasted a backhand winner. The Crowd started hatin, screamin about how the ball was out, mind you jennifer during the point didn't pick up a fuss, nor after the point till about 10 seconds later when the crowd started booing, and judging. Then Jennifer got real mad as fuck, looked over to the chair and was shacking her head and stuff. Jen lets the crowd take control of her emotionally. I think she really believes, that even though she is closes to the lines her and her opponent, she feels that these people all the way in the stands saw the line call. If im correct, most of the time, when watching a tennis match, you aren't looking dead at the line calls, you are looking more at where the ball "possibily lands" and just watching the rallies. You aren't zoomed in dead on the lines. Anyway..

Another Example. During these matches I've noticed. When Venus/Serena have hit aces. Jen starts to walk to the other side, but at the same time the crowd starts screamin, and booin about a line call, and jennifer like snaps all of a sudden into this anger mode or whatever, and then/ again about 10 seconds after the point been over, thinks she got another bad call. Another case of Jennifer letting the crowd control her emotions. Also Im using Venus/Serena matches only b/c they are good close matches, and hey im Venus/Serena fan, i only have matches w/ them in it :) But do you all notice this as well? I mean it stands out very clear to me. And now thinking over/over about it. It starts to annoy me, that Jennifer originally doesn't have a problem w/ the call, but when the crowd starts, its like she instantly changes, and thinks she got hooked on a call. When Venus/Serena play, Serena may get a little mad over a call, but she heads straight to the line, probably hits a service winners, or wins the next point, clearly not letting anythin affect her. Venus, she just looks up at the chair, looks back down to her strings, goes gets a ball, and about 70% of the time, fires an ace, to equal out the bad call. Jennifer really to me, needs someone to show her old tapes, not only of her attitude. But how/when she reacts. I think it would do her good to point out, that clearly she is only getting mad/roared up when the crowd judges a call. Again this is the case of the crowd controlling Jennifer emotionally. And when you don't have the control, going into the match, to me, you are already the looser.

cooolconchita
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:00 PM
yes - but when 10,000 people are booing a call, it's hard to just let it go by - even Serena has a sneaky look at the umpire in that situation.

The only person who doesn't get fazed by line calls at all is Venus - sometimes i'm screaming at the TV, wanting her to at least question a call, but hey, she wins the match so who cares... ;)

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:08 PM
yes - but when 10,000 people are booing a call, it's hard to just let it go by - even Serena has a sneaky look at the umpire in that situation.

The only person who doesn't get fazed by line calls at all is Venus - sometimes i'm screaming at the TV, wanting her to at least question a call, but hey, she wins the match so who cares... ;)
have said that, i would honestly have no problem saying that out of the top 20, Jennifer is the only player, that lets the crowd dictate her main reaction to calls. Let me put it to you this way, someone is playing Jennifer, they hit the ball right on the line, Jennifer see's it was right on the line, goes on about her business, doesn't question a call or anything. she looses the point, jennifer is walking to the other side, not fussing or anything, but in the mean time the crowd starts booing, screamin about getting a bad call, remeber jennifer doesn't think/didnt act like she got a bad call, about 10 seconds into the crowds reaction its like Jennifer pulls this Jeckle/Hyde deal, and now thinks she got hooked on a call, and is totally pissed off. This is different, from if you think you get a bad call, and loose the point and IMMEDIATELY question the call, even when the croud is booing/raging, to questioning the call, (remember from the get go to the call Jen doesn't put up a fuss, seeing it was in on the line) after crowd reactions.

CapFan#1
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:14 PM
When you have played tennis as long as Jen has, ( and I have), you KNOW when a ball is out or in. I've watched all the matches you have talked about, and all the calls Jenn has challanged, and she is correct 8/10 times when they show the replay of the point with Mac Cam or shot spot. Now, when you are losing matched by a couple of points here and there, wouldn't you be mad as hell. Those bad line calls are winning the matches for Serena vs Jennifer. If those calls had been called correctly, Jenn would have won, especially at the year end championships last November.

MarcusRock
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
I seriously doubt she takes 10 seconds to complain about a call.

veryborednow
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:22 PM
And It was very shocking to me

You're very shocked?

Aw Bless, doesn't take much does it?

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:27 PM
have said that, i would honestly have no problem saying that out of the top 20, Jennifer is the only player, that lets the crowd dictate her main reaction to calls. Let me put it to you this way, someone is playing Jennifer, they hit the ball right on the line, Jennifer see's it was right on the line, goes on about her business, doesn't question a call or anything. she looses the point, jennifer is walking to the other side, not fussing or anything, but in the mean time the crowd starts booing, screamin about getting a bad call, remeber jennifer doesn't think/didnt act like she got a bad call, about 10 seconds into the crowds reaction its like Jennifer pulls this Jeckle/Hyde deal, and now thinks she got hooked on a call, and is totally pissed off. This is different, from if you think you get a bad call, and loose the point and IMMEDIATELY question the call, even when the croud is booing/raging, to questioning the call, (remember from the get go to the call Jen doesn't put up a fuss, seeing it was in on the line) after crowd reactions.
8/10 times, just got finished watching these matches. Mac Cam and all. Venus vs. Jen 2001 US open, jen got 1 bad call, out of about 11 she questioned. 2001 Ericsson, Jen got 2 bad calls, out of who knows how many. Serena vs. Jen 2002 Miami, Jennifer had 2 bad calls there. And Serena vs. Jennifer 2003 Miami, Jen got 1 bad call in that second set. And about the beginning of that third set, clearly that ball hit the back of the line. You could see it did, but when they replay backwards, the ball will always appear to hit the ground (w/ no line) b/c its going bacwards, with the ball going forward, like it did when serena hit it, it hits the line, more so skids off it, and then hits the ground not toching the line. but 8/10 times? you are clearly being Very Fan Biast :rolleyes:

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:29 PM
You're very shocked?

Aw Bless, doesn't take much does it?

LOL :D

CapFan#1
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
8/10 times, just got finished watching these matches. Mac Cam and all. Venus vs. Jen 2001 US open, jen got 1 bad call, out of about 11 she questioned. 2001 Ericsson, Jen got 2 bad calls, out of who knows how many. Serena vs. Jen 2002 Miami, Jennifer had 2 bad calls there. And Serena vs. Jennifer 2003 Miami, Jen got 1 bad call in that second set. And about the beginning of that third set, clearly that ball hit the back of the line. You could see it did, but when they replay backwards, the ball will always appear to hit the ground (w/ no line) b/c its going bacwards, with the ball going forward, like it did when serena hit it, it hits the line, more so skids off it, and then hits the ground not toching the line. but 8/10 times? you are clearly being Very Fan Biast :rolleyes:

Not being biased at all, just calling them as they are and agreeing with the commentators at these matches when they echo that the ball was out and it was a close BAD call. 8/10 times!!

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:42 PM
agreeing w/the commentators? :rolleyes:, if that was the case you defintely would have jennifers numbers around 2/10

gourownway
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:55 PM
Why does it matter?

Everyone has their downfalls, no one is perfect. That's her flaw, maybe she has tried to change it, maybe she has not. Either way I don't see why it matters. She questions calls, she lets the crowd get her fired up over things, oh well.

I like to see people question calls. It doesn't matter who they are or who they are playing, sometimes you have to do it. If they want to question all day, then let them, it's just part of the game. If they don't want to question, then more power to them.

vw43
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:46 PM
Why does it matter?

Everyone has their downfalls, no one is perfect. That's her flaw, maybe she has tried to change it, maybe she has not. Either way I don't see why it matters. She questions calls, she lets the crowd get her fired up over things, oh well.

I like to see people question calls. It doesn't matter who they are or who they are playing, sometimes you have to do it. If they want to question all day, then let them, it's just part of the game. If they don't want to question, then more power to them.

Word :kiss:

jenny161185
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:50 PM
:rolleyes: how did I know this would be some stupid comment from Serenaslam about jen that is just stupid. as coolconchita said there was 22000 people at that semi final if they all start booing its hard to ignore she's not letting them dictate her. And as for jen being the only player in the top 20 to allow the crowd to control her emotionly -------- you are so full of sh#t :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

stop making stupid threads trying to make the williams out to be better the jen in every way , i thought you were serenaslam. not venusserenaslam , well i suppose whoevers winning you'll just support them

*abby*
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:54 PM
pure genius jenny pure genius :worship:

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:54 PM
I don't think Jennifer will ever be as calm in a match as Venus per se. Even if she did I don't think she would play as well. I see nothing wrong with questioning line calls....as long as its not every close call....which I don't think she does. I also think Jen has come a LONG way in controlling her temper :-) She just needs to do a little bit better a job of letting points go after the fact. Also I think Serena or any opponent feeds off of that when they see there opponent is frustrated. Lastly I think Jenny will get a win soon, best chance imo is probably on clay.

leslie
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:27 AM
I do not know why they even question calls because they are never reverse so why bother that takes to much energy. I could see them questioning on calls on Clay but not hard surfaces. As Venus said it is not her job to question calls.

We as Williams fans will always know that the crowd will never be for V/S we have to accept that, I have and that is why I am at peace. Once upon a time that crowd thing would really get to me that it would bring tears to my eyes. Like at the U.S Open when the crowd was cheering for MoMo against Venus and MoMo is French that even hurt worser (I know there's no such word as worser) but that is how bad it hurt. As I said before I have come to accept that.
Now back to V, S & J.

Venus, Serena and Jen are three different people with very different personalities they should not be compared. Venus is serene and easy going and Serena has picked up that sereness from Venus, but then again, Serena is younger and probably she was willing to change. However, Jen is headstrong and stuborn she is going to argue even if you tell her not to that is her personality she is 27 and I do not think she is going to change. Jen is Jen and that is all there is about it. I think we Williams fans should ease up on her a little bit. Serena is beating her up anyway and I do not think we should all pile up on her. Give the girl a break will ya.

CJ07
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:34 AM
Jen just gets frustrated because shes 4-12 having lost 11 in a a row to the sisters