PDA

View Full Version : Hingis exhibition tour = easy $$

vogus
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
I wonder if it has occured to Hingis that she could play 10 or 15 exhibitions a year against the likes of Seles, Kournikova, Martina N, McEnroe, the Jenson brothers and even her former nemeses the Williams sisters, and probably make a million bucks a year. She wouldn't have to train or worry about losing to any pesky lower-ranked players. It's not something that I personally would shell out 40 or 50 dollars to watch, but there are clearly plenty of people among Martina H's legion of hungry fans who would. All Hingis has to do is give the word and the agents will get right to work on it.

empiremaker03
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:37 PM
i wanna see Marti COMPETE not dilly dally with exhibitions (Annak is good at that)...would rather go watch Marti ride horses in competition....hmmm-i'd like to watch Marti practice though :)

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
Martina isn't like that, she WANTS to win, she's a real competitor.
Like she said herself: If I can't play at my best, why even bother?

I believe that she will play that "Adidas Exhibition" or whatever it's called with full confidence and preparation.

Go Marti! :worship:

selesfan
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:19 PM
Why would she do that, its not like she really needs the money.

migi
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:21 PM
Will it show on the tv in June.?

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:22 PM
Why would she do that, its not like she really needs the money.
What I was gonna say.

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:28 PM
Im sure Martina would rather be out on the tour then be playing some exhibition matches throughout the year.

ico4498
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:40 PM
Martina isn't like that, she WANTS to win, she's a real competitor.
Like she said herself: If I can't play at my best, why even bother?

I believe that she will play that "Adidas Exhibition" or whatever it's called with full confidence and preparation.

Go Marti! :worship:

I agree, she does want to win. But a real competitor???

When the going got tough, her butt was gone.

TonyP
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:48 PM
Unlikely.

While she reportedly is schedule "to appear" at the Adidas event, no one has yet said she is going to play tennis and if she does, it will probably be just a "hit and giggles" match.

Hingis has shown little interest in exhibition tennis over the years.
I'm sure she could make buckets of money, but she seems much more intent upon moving on with her life, rather than cashing in on her reputation. Besides, if anyone doesn't need the money, its Martina.

veryborednow
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
Don't knock her. It's going to form her pension fund ;)

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM
I agree, she does want to win. But a real competitor???

When the going got tough, her butt was gone.

When the going WAS tough, and when there were still real rivalries, she was winning all the slams so prove that you've achieved more than she has or shut your ignorant mouth.

ico4498
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
When the going WAS tough, and when there were still real rivalries, she was winning all the slams so prove that you've achieved more than she has or shut your ignorant mouth.

Calm down.

A great competitor battles through adversity.

Peace!

vogus
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:01 PM
Martina has got less money than you guys think. She made 18 mil in prize money and the Swiss government took half of that. So that's 9 mil. She probably made another mil per year in endorsements (I actually read that's about how much she was making a couple of years ago, she made a lot less than Anna K or the Williams, escpecially after the Sergio Tacchini deal went sour) from '97 to '03 (she's getting paid for this year). Call it 8 mil in endorsements, and give the Swiss gov't half.

So Martina netted 13 mil from tennis minus all the stuff she has bought, which includes a couple of expensive houses and you know Martina H doesn't skimp when it comes to nice clothes either.

Even if she didn't get crushed by the stock market downturn, my guess is she's got 5 mil left, max. After a year of no income that exhibition tour is going to start looking pretty juicy.

barmaid
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE='vogus']Martina has got less money than you guys think.

In Forbes Magazine a couple of years ago...Martina was listed as $60 mil +. I think she has "more" money than you figured!! :hearts: :kiss: :bounce:

barmaid :wavey:

empiremaker03
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:52 PM
just think Marti could give me $1 million to buy some horses to race in her name and still have $59 million left :cool: ...hmmm, the Swiss Miss stable sounds good to me

TonyP
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:32 PM
Adidas, Yonex, American Express, Bole sunglasses, Ocean Spray, Clairol, Sanex (personal services contract with them), Opel, various Asian bankcards, etc. etc. And of course, Omega. Those are enough sponsors to assume they brought her in more than a million a year.

Even Pam Shriver, no fan of Martina's, said she earned at least one dollar off the court for every dollar on it. Forbes usually listed her annual income in the $7-10 million range.

Some may hope she got crused in the market downturn, but there's no evidence of that. And she has never shown much extravagance, not often using private jets, etc. She's even talked about clothes shopping, saying that her clothiers know she likes nice things, but also appreciates a bargain when she can find one.

I expect her to unload her home at Saddlebrook, which she will no doubt sell for more than she paid for it, US real estate almost never going down in value. And of course, a house owned by a celebrity is usually quite desirable.

Martina, when asked recently about her finances, said she and her family were making plans for the future, but said she is doing just fine without tennis.

And her days of doing endorsements and commercials are probably far from over. When you are young, pretty, have a movie star smile, and a great personality, plus achieved almost legendary status in your spot, you probably have lots of options.

Don't believe me? Look at the number of articles being written about her week after week after week, six months after her last match. The British mag "Hello" ran a full color, two page spread on her only a few weeks ago and its not exactly a tennis mag.

I don't think we'll see Martina on the dole any time soon.

Volcana
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:34 PM
To me that sounds like guaranteed heartache.

apoet29
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:01 PM
I really don't think Hingis would have left the sport unless she had some financial security. It is because of that fact that Martina was able to leave tennis and begin another life.

Mark for Martina
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:31 AM
Monica played an exhibiton match right before coming back from a long break... Can it be Martina's thinking of doing something similar.. to put some match plays in before inching back into the tour?

faboozadoo15
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:39 AM
yes, she should probably come back exhibition style, but i don't expect her event to e as large as monica's lol. that place was rockin.

aussiefan83
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:11 AM

Not trying to knock martina, but who were her great rivals in the period she was winning slams??? (1997 in particular).

Im not saying she doesnt deserve her slams or anything like that, because to win a slam is an amazing achievement, but to say she did it against great rivals is stretching it a little.

TommyH
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:14 AM
Not trying to knock martina, but who were her great rivals in the period she was winning slams??? (1997 in particular).

Im not saying she doesnt deserve her slams or anything like that, because to win a slam is an amazing achievement, but to say she did it against great rivals is stretching it a little.

very true......... i get the feeling the question of when or will Hingis make a comeback will go on and on for years.

Serendy Willick
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:15 AM
I dont know who she beat at the Aussie.
I know she beat Jana Novotna who kicks azz on grass at Wimbeldon.
She beat a certain "qualifier" named Venus Williams in the US Open.

aussiefan83
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:18 AM
i wasnt trying to put down her achievements, which is why i said they were great achievements, i was just questioning whether she had to beat GREAT rivals to win her slams. (and 2 players cant be great rivals in their 1st meeting).

treufreund
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:16 AM
Martina has nothing to prove. End of discussion. :)

ico4498
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:48 AM
Hingis deserves fulll credit for her success. Was she a great competitor? Nah.

She turned tail and ran when the stakes were upped.

Not surprising, she only finished the French Open against Graf, by her own admission, 'cause her Mom forced her. Whenever the going was rough, she bailed.

Glenn
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:29 AM

Not surprising, she only finished the French Open against Graf, by her own admission, 'cause her Mom forced her. Whenever the going was rough, she bailed.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
The going isn't rough at the moment, there's Serena Williams winning every tournament she's in, and Kim Clijsters or Venus Williams winning every other one, that's it.

Like someone else said before: Martina has nothing to prove. I hope she comes back and wins more titles.

irinska
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:26 AM
Vogus, you're completely wrong ! In Switzerland you don't pay taxes until 18 as well as you don't pay taxes on the money made abroad so Martina saves quite a lot of money . Last year she earned $10 mil. and I don't know from where you got your numbers but Martina has more money than Anna for sure . Marina has more interesting things to do now, wake up tennis is just a game, her whole life is in front of her . :wavey:

moby
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:55 AM
i wasnt trying to put down her achievements, which is why i said they were great achievements, i was just questioning whether she had to beat GREAT rivals to win her slams. (and 2 players cant be great rivals in their 1st meeting).

she didnt had to beat any GREAT rivals to win her slams
because in 97 she simply had no rivals
she was head and shoulders above everyone else

moby
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:57 AM

maybe martina wasnt as great a competitor as a champion like her should be.
if we notice, throughout her career (and life) her mother was always the ambitious one (without who martina would never have accomplished what she had today)
strangely, martina resembles her father a lot more

barmaid
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:39 PM
Vogus, you're completely wrong ! In Switzerland you don't pay taxes until 18 as well as you don't pay taxes on the money made abroad so Martina saves quite a lot of money . Last year she earned $10 mil. and I don't know from where you got your numbers but Martina has more money than Anna for sure . Marina has more interesting things to do now, wake up tennis is just a game, her whole life is in front of her . :wavey:

Thanks for the valuable information irinska, very interesting stuff!! :D Happy spending Martina :hearts: :kiss:

barmaid :wavey: