PDA

View Full Version : And the next player to beat SERENA is...

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:07 PM
venus? kim? justine?

just come in and vote!

Cariaoke
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:11 PM
I don't want her to lose, EVER. *floating back down to earth* If she does lose, I hope it's to Venus but she has her own issues to work out.

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:15 PM
since we are entering the clay season soon, i'll say justine.

selesrules
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:19 PM
Judging by their last 2 meetings, I'd say MONICA :worship:

Dracula
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:37 PM
some veteran clay courter with a weird game :)

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:38 PM
Yes I agree Dracula, picture Conchita Martinez, on a windy day at Rolland Garros, and you can see Serena losing.

Either that or Juju and Kimmie pulling up trumps.

fleemke³
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
Justine will :bounce:

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
Not anyone in the top 10! Check this out: over the past year she is 17-2 against top 10 opponents!! 17-2!! Ironically both lossess are against the Belgian sisters. So if you are looking for someone to beat Serena better watch outside the top 10 on a day that she is not focused... Girl makes sure she is ready when playing top 10!

macn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
No One!

cooolconchita
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
agree with Dracula - someone with a strange game who can give Serena a good match on clay! ;)

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:38 PM
so far everyone is really depending on Justine b/c of the clay. But to me, justine doesn't have nothing on serena unless serena is off, justine is on fire, and its a windy day. that is a lot of things that need to happen inorder to let justine have a chance. but hey, that is basically what happend in berlin, and justine barely won 7-6 in third set :)

cooolconchita
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:41 PM
Serena Slam :wavey: - who do YOU think has a shot of beating 'Rena on the clay then?

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:44 PM
so far everyone is really depending on Justine b/c of the clay. But to me, justine doesn't have nothing on serena unless serena is off, justine is on fire, and its a windy day. that is a lot of things that need to happen inorder to let justine have a chance. but hey, that is basically what happend in berlin, and justine barely won 7-6 in third set :)

Serena wasn't off in Berlin.
Justine wasn't on fire in Berlin.
And it wasn't windy at all...
So why don't you stop talking with your ass and face the facts that Serena is beatable on clay, especially by Justine.

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:02 PM
Serena wasn't off in Berlin.
Justine wasn't on fire in Berlin.
And it wasn't windy at all...
So why don't you stop talking with your ass and face the facts that Serena is beatable on clay, especially by Justine.
ALL I CAN SAY IS FAN BIAS....now clearly you can't tell me that if I would have originally stated something around, serena was on fire, and justine was on fire, and still barely won 7-6 in the third, you would've replied to me saying......

"oh so ture, i like totally, like....like.....like....agree like with like what you like had to like say there. its like the truth, and like i feel like the same like exact way......like

no bull shittin, being a Serena fan, and watching that match, I can tell when Serena is atleats a little "on" and a little "off". In this match, clearly serena was more "off" than "on", and Justine was more "on" than "off"

Mase
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:03 PM
I think if Jennifer gets over her 'mental hurdle,' sh'll be the next one to beat Serena.. she definiltey has the game.

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:06 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS FAN BIAS....now clearly you can't tell me that if I would have originally stated something around, serena was on fire, and justine was on fire, and still barely won 7-6 in the third, you would've replied to me saying......

"oh so ture, i like totally, like....like.....like....agree like with like what you like had to like say there. its like the truth, and like i feel like the same like exact way......like

no bull shittin, being a Serena fan, and watching that match, I can tell when Serena is atleats a little "on" and a little "off". In this match, clearly serena was more "off" than "on", and Justine was more "on" than "off"

Err, and your point is?
That Justine is able to beat Serena on clay?

fleemke³
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:07 PM

I saw the match too and in my eyes it was one of the best matches played last year. They were both playing very well, only the tie-break was not that great!

selesrules
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:09 PM

If Justine was "on" and Serena was "off", then Justine would have won 6-1, 6-4 like in Berlin against Venus.

Also let's not forget that it's clay, Justine's favorite surface. It's not a coincidence that she's 2-2 against the Williams sisters on CLAY and 0-9 against them on the other surfaces. Actually since it was clay, I'd say that Justine even has the edge and it's Serena who needs to me more "on" then Justine.

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Err, and your point is?
That Justine is able to beat Serena on clay?
yep justine or venus. only if Serena is more "off" her game than "on" her game, but justine or venus will be have to playing their best tennis, and it will still be a close match :)

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Elena Bovina - Charleston. Thanks.

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
If Justine was "on" and Serena was "off", then Justine would have won 6-1, 6-4 like in Berlin against Venus.

Also let's not forget that it's clay, Justine's favorite surface. It's not a coincidence that she's 2-2 against the Williams sisters on CLAY and 0-9 against them on the other surfaces. Actually since it was clay, I'd say that Justine even has the edge and it's Serena who needs to me more "on" then Justine.

Amen to that! :worship:

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:19 PM
Amen to that! :worship:
this is where we all have our opinions about different players, and what their results would be, i could keep this going, and ask you all to tell me why the match was so close in berlin, but the following week, serena dispatched of justine in straight sets again on the red clay? but don't answer if you don't want to. i say let the matchup happen, see what happens, we will go from there. but then again, that probably won't do us any good, seeing serena was almost beat in australia by kim clijsters, came back from 1-5 down, and won, everyone was still giving kim a big shot, then she(kim) got killed by Serena at the Nasdaq, but yall/others still don't really give serena that credit, and go on ahead and say kim has nothing on serena, you just say kim had a "bad" day and can still can beat serena. serena and justine on, justine has no chance in my opinion, whether its on clay, grass, hardcourts, RA!

caramel
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:20 PM
Serena´s clone , if she has one. ;)

fleemke³
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:28 PM
Henin wins German Open
May 12, 2002

Justine Henin clinched her first WTA tour title of the year on Sunday when she overcame Serena Williams in a colossal struggle in the German Open final in Berlin.

Henin the 5th seed started off superbly against the third seeded American. With her menacing backhand in fine form, the 19-year-old Henin rattled off the winners in the opening set at will and clinched it 6-2 in 30 minutes. The Belgian had lost three previous finals this year, losing all of them to Venus Williams and she must have thought ‘here I go again’ when she dropped the second set 6-1

If the first two sets were one sided, the decider was nothing short of a cracker with both players enjoying periods on top. Henin recovered from an early break of serve to surge to a 4-2 lead. But William’s fighting qualities kept her in it, first to break back and then level at 4-4 and then to survive a tense service game at 5-6, saving two match points on serve to force a tiebreaker.

It was a gem of a tiebreaker, Henin raced to 3-love, Williams levelled at 3-3, and Henin brought up match point with a gem of a drop shot, Williams then hit the ball long to give Henin a deserved victory.

'I am very happy with the way I played today. Said Henin. 'It was a great third set. She was playing unbelievable in the second, I had a good reaction to break back at the start of the third and everything happened Finally I won in the tiebreak so it was a great victory.'

'It gives me a lot of confidence for sure but its not over life continues and next week I will be in Rome.'

'It’s nice to beat Serena for the first time for sure, she is a great champion and I am very proud today.'

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:40 PM
She was playing unbelievable in the second

quote directly from the player. This is what I was looking for. Now you had the people (media) saying Justine played Very well in that first set. they didn't say Serena played bad or good. in the second set, they said Serena played well, they didn't say justine played bad or good. and by justines reactions. justine played well first/second, serena was just playing too good in that second set. which tells me that serena wasn't playing well at all in the first set. so now you have justine playing well in the first/second set, w/ Serena playing very well in the second, taking it 6-1.

If the first two sets were one sided, the decider was nothing short of a cracker with both players enjoying periods on top

this is saying, that both opening sets were undecided (even though justine played well through both and serena bad in first and just played too good in the second set) the third set quality was not a good as the opening sets, seeing both players were getting momentum shifts. Watching The third set it was so error filled it wasn't funnie. This is where almost all Serena's/Justine's errors came from. These quotes clearly tell it. Meida can make a match sound very well played, but watching it, you get a totally different meaning/idea from the match. That is just like in Nasdaq, they were putting Jennifer out like she was clearly on fire against Serena. When actually she came out and played her game like she did against Chanda. Serena just wasn't playing well, but when Serena started to play well, it became a match and the media could more so "take 1 or 2 points here and there, mention them in the press releases, and make the match sound amaing". Clealry they did this for the Berlin Final, and they did the same thing for the Nasdaq final :)

1jackson2001
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:49 PM
..is Serena herself. ;) No player will beat her..she can only bring a loss onto herself.

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:52 PM
quote directly from the player. This is what I was looking for. Now you had the people (media) saying Justine played Very well in that first set. they didn't say Serena played bad or good. in the second set, they said Serena played well, they didn't say justine played bad or good. and by justines reactions. justine played well first/second, serena was just playing too good in that second set. which tells me that serena wasn't playing well at all in the first set. so now you have justine playing well in the first/second set, w/ Serena playing very well in the second, taking it 6-1.

this is saying, that both opening sets were undecided (even though justine played well through both and serena bad in first and just played too good in the second set) the third set quality was not a good as the opening sets, seeing both players were getting momentum shifts. Watching The third set it was so error filled it wasn't funnie. This is where almost all Serena's/Justine's errors came from. These quotes clearly tell it. Meida can make a match sound very well played, but watching it, you get a totally different meaning/idea from the match. That is just like in Nasdaq, they were putting Jennifer out like she was clearly on fire against Serena. When actually she came out and played her game like she did against Chanda. Serena just wasn't playing well, but when Serena started to play well, it became a match and the media could more so "take 1 or 2 points here and there, mention them in the press releases, and make the match sound amaing". Clealry they did this for the Berlin Final, and they did the same thing for the Nasdaq final :)

I didn't bother to read all that.
But I just want to say this: No player can stay at the same level a whole match through, they always make errors, that's TENNIS, you just need to accept that, and not repeat it every time your favorite player loses a match.
Both played well in that first set, and Justine won it, both played well in that second set, and Serena won it, it was a great fight overall, and Justine won it.

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:54 PM
..is Serena herself. ;) No player will beat her..she can only bring a loss onto herself.

Yea, the same with all my favorite players, and every other player for that matter... they can only blame themselves, if only they did more fitness, practice, etc. :rolleyes:

moby
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:25 AM
btw, on the berlin issue, i think that justine actually had a mini-choke in that third set which was really what let serena back into the match

Ruski
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:59 PM
Elena Bovina - Charleston. Thanks.

Somehow I have this feeling too!!! Lena is always my bet to upset the Williams sisters!! ;)

White Stripes
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:00 PM
sooner or later jen will beat her!

selesfan
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:00 PM
Serena´s clone , if she has one. ;)
LOL! Just what I was thinking. :wavey: