PDA

View Full Version : How far can Alicia go this year with few points to defend?

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:48 AM
:hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

As prolly her biggest fan here...I am Curious as to what you all think she can get to this year? Won first title in Hobart (Zvonareva possibly biggest win in SF)

Won just 21 matches last year....already set to blow that to pieces...late last year she tested Seles and ASV in 3 sets. Won her first WTA title in Hobart

Spent all summer in Melbourne training over the break (possible hense her injury)

This year...she is much fitter...has cut out double faults.....and her backhand is pretty now....she can chop and change. And she has learnt to play aggressive without thinking aggressive means charge the net.

Serena before Hopman Cup Final said "I knew she was always going to be good...Alicia is playing well and knew she would get her time"

This year wins over Hantuchova (x2-no losses) Schett (x2-no losses) Farina-Elija, Bedanova, Frazier, Zvonareva, Dementieva etc etc

Has lost Only to Serena (Hopman Cup) Iroda (Forfeit) and Dokic. Not bad :-)

I feel her game is more consistant that Danilidou....I think at least she will be top 30...I think 20 if she plays good slams. However they play very similar....welcome to a lady who has won her first title. And she is still young...very attractive and Aussies big hope at least another Bradtke :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

What do you think?

:wavey:

Dava
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:19 AM
well she is doing so well at the momment, she could do really well!

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:25 AM
I am also one of her biggest fans! ;)

I think Alicia will perform OK in the clay court season and have a fairly good grass court season - including Wimbledon. I think her best results will come in the America summer hardcourt season and I think her ranking will be high enough to play all the big indoor tournies at the end of the year.

Prediction:

RANKING AFTER FRENCH OPEN: 59

RANKING AFTER WIMBLEDON: 44

RANKING AFTER US OPEN: 32

RANKING AT THE END OF THE YEAR: 24

I really think Alicia's potential will come out this year :) Which is absoutely awesome for Australia :worship:

tennisvideos
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:32 AM
Here's hoping Alicia has a great year. She has started off brilliantly, shame she suffered an injury at the Oz. She deserves some success after all her hard work, and she seems like a really sweet girl - plus she's very cute. It's great to see an all court player when they start to bloom. The game certainly can benefit from some more variety.

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:39 AM
she has a pretty good game which she has developed a bit more and put it altogether better than she has all other seasons. at the moment she doesn't have what it takes to be say a top 5 player or anything. she doesn't really have a weapon. her serve is big but for it to be reliable she can;t hit it as hard as say a venus or serena so personally i wouldn't call it a weapon although it does get points started well for her becasue of the good placement. she doesn't have a big forehand or backhand in terms of it being a weapon. she hits them at a steady strong pace but not hard enough to hurt any of the big girls. she can volley but against the top girls her groundies aren't good enough to get her to the net and neither is her serve (so she is in a decent pposition to win the point). her movement is also a problem against the top girls. she can't really run much down but she is so much better than before in that department so i don't like to criticise her on that part of her game to much.

i'd say she can be top 15 with her game and maybe sneak into the high numbers of the top 10 if she consistently has good results (but it would take a lot if she were to do it this year and i don't think she is capable of catching those players this year).

i think while daniilidou's serve isn't working alicia is better and more con sistent but if eleni has the serve working then she has an edge over molik although i think they would be very closely matched. alicia is lot better mentally this year.

watching daniilidou vs. serena at the oz open really made me think how good daniilidou's groundies are but i wasn't sure whether serena wasn't playing her best or whether daniilidou's groundies work doing the work and making it hard for serena. they looked a lot like kims in the semi-final. they were deep and to the corners but they weren't winners it was more of a defensive type shot or less aggressive shot to make serena run to get the error from her or to wait for the right time to hit the winner. if i had to base it on that then alicia is better because she is more aggressive and gets the winners and makes the points short. but i don't know whether this was a tactic by daniilidou or whether she always plays like that.

they are really evenly matched imo.

TS
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:39 AM
Her game has finally come together and I see no reason why she can't go top 30 this year. I see some players in the top 50 and think if they can be there, so can she! She got to 47 in 2001, and she is a MUCH better player now, so the sky's the limit really...:)

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:50 AM
Totally agree....Alicia isn't coming to net as much, and feeling more comfortable on the baseline. If Alicia is through to Rd3 of Wimbledon...she has Roache, Cawley, Bradtke, Newcombe...I could ravel for ever.....women in Aussie Tennis don't need coaches at the slams....Aussies always stick together :-)....she like Elani and Dechy and of course Stevenson.....wild cards this year at Wimbledon

Go Alicia!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Buitenzorg
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:09 AM
She might reach TOP 30 by the end of 2003 season :D

Good Luck Alicia :kiss:

keta
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:21 AM
I hope she does great!! She's such a good player and a nice person and an Aussie which Helps! :D:D
I also think she will finish the year top 30 and i think she will be higher ranker than Nicole Pratt! :) It will be great to see an Aussie woman doing well! :bounce: Go Alicia!

AUSBOY
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM
Gowza how can you say that Alicia hasn't a weapon??? 13 aces against Schett, 9 against Hantuchova. Her serve is a big weapon for her!! She has one of the biggest serves on the womens tour!

Did you not see her match against Serena at the Hopman Cup????? She won 6 games against Serena because of her serve and nothing else really!

Her serve used to be very up and down, this year though she has really been serving very consistently and as a result is holding serve much easier. Her baseline game to has improved about 10% with a little added power which has made a huge difference as she is more the aggresor now in her rallies where as before she was just trying to hit deep and force her opponent into error where as now she is lookin to hit the outright winner.

Alicia has taken up different training regimes too which have helped her too. Over the summer and in her recovery she was doing a lot of her physical training in the swimming pool under the guidance of Michael Klim's father.

I think late last year she decided its was time to put everything into her career. I think Nicole Pratt has been a good influence on her in this regard. She has made many big changes to her life. Breaking up with her boyfriend of 3 years, moving to Melbourne permanently away from her family and friends so that she could take advantage of the facilities/coaches was a good decision too.

Alicia has top 30 written all over her as does Nicole Pratt who has stepped up a level too!

It will be interesting to see who cracks it first out of the two. Rest assured though the Aussie women are goin to have the best year end ranks in many years. I think both can end the year in the top 30!

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:34 AM
AUSBOY, i meant agaiinst the very top players like serena and venus. it is a weapon against most players and it is very solid this year. but the top players can still break her more than once in a match. if it was a reliable weapon then she would be able to hold serve basically everytime.

and btw, neither schett or hantuchova are very good or quick movers. if she did that against serena or venus then i would say it is a weapon against the top players.

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
AUSBOY, i meant agaiinst the very top players like serena and venus. it is a weapon against most players and it is very solid this year. but the top players can still break her more than once in a match. if it was a reliable weapon then she would be able to hold serve basically everytime.

and btw, neither schett or hantuchova are very good or quick movers. if she did that against serena or venus then i would say it is a weapon against the top players.

It was Serena that said "Alicia's time has come"...Schett or Hantuchova I agree....Perhaps you havn't seen the difference from last year? Alicia goes for placement now....and her backhand doesn't say "Hit me as hard as you can" hense she won a WTA title Anna can't get.

If you are ever privelaged by watching an Alicia interview....you will realise she is the most down-to-earth player.

Someone said Nicole Pratt before is involved...I would never doubt it....hardest fighter with her frame on the tour (Panova must be on drugs IMO with that stature....impossible) Has tried to get Jelena back but guess she doesn't appreicate the 500,000 dollars we spent supporting Jelena...knowing Aussie crowds.....hope she never plays the Aus Open IMO....I will be the largest Bo-Ooer....perhaps we could have put that into Christine Wheeler who rolled Anna K in Straight sets last year Rd1 French Open???....Leslie Bowrey had faith....her salmon throwing father didn't. He needs councouling!!!!

If anyone wants dynamics....please ask :wavey:

kell
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:06 AM
:hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

As prolly her biggest fan here

I'll fight you for that honor :D ;) Seriously, though...Skys the limit for Our Alicia. Top twenty is very doubtful unless she does REALLY well in the slams. But I recon by the end of the year a top 30-40 finish is quite reasonable. She should overtake Pratt as the female Aussie hope (she's getting a bit old for that role anyway)

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Kirt12255, i know how down to earth Alicia is and i have seen her this year. i saw all of her matches at the hopman cup where she played serena. yes serena said her time has come but she might think that Alicia can only go so far in the sport and is saying that because she is not worried about Alicia because she knows she can beat her.

i'm not saying Alicia isn't a good player. in fact i think she can compete with everyone except for the williams sisters. fact is Alicia can't ace serena like she does with the other players. it's really not much of a weapon against seren. if it was then Alicia wouldn't have struggled to hold serve against her. it certainly helps to win points against serena but serena puts more pressure on the serve because she gets things back that other players can't and she can hit winners from anywhere on the court. how can you say her serve is a weapon against serena when she struggled to hold serve against her?

AUSBOY
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Smashnova has proven u dont need to do well in Grand Slams to be top 20!

Also Pratt is playing the best tennis of her life, give her credit, she's not too old and deserves her ranking!

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:34 AM
didn't mauresmo also show us that you don't have to do particularly well in the slams?

pratt is a pretty good player. lots of people underestimeate her and i have to admit i do it a bit but it isn't so much underestimating her as it is more of the fact that she isn't one of my favs. but she isn't to old. she's been ranked in the low 30's i think. she is playing the best tennis of her life. she is another example of a late bloomer.

AUSBOY
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM
Kirt12255, i know how down to earth Alicia is and i have seen her this year. i saw all of her matches at the hopman cup where she played serena. yes serena said her time has come but she might think that Alicia can only go so far in the sport and is saying that because she is not worried about Alicia because she knows she can beat her.

i'm not saying Alicia isn't a good player. in fact i think she can compete with everyone except for the williams sisters. fact is Alicia can't ace serena like she does with the other players. it's really not much of a weapon against seren. if it was then Alicia wouldn't have struggled to hold serve against her. it certainly helps to win points against serena but serena puts more pressure on the serve because she gets things back that other players can't and she can hit winners from anywhere on the court. how can you say her serve is a weapon against serena when she struggled to hold serve against her?

LOL, nah she can't ace Serena, she only did it 6 times in this match and most of her service games she won convincingly when her first serves went in! Serena acknowledged Alicia's big serve in her victory speech.

Gowza's, no offence but I know Alicia's game a little better!

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:05 PM
AUSBOY, it's funny how she aced serena 6 times, held most of her service games convincingly and still lost 6-2 6-3.

yes, her serve must be a weapon when she only wins 5 games in a match. she doesn't get her first serve in enough against the top players and that is partly the reason why it isn't a weapon.

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
i'm not saying it isn't good or that it can't be a weapon, but at the moment it isn't a weapon because she can't get it in enough.

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
:wavey: Alicia spent all summer re-defining her game....to use her power....look at her age...she is still young....and with the people she has around her she will win more titles.

I am still yet to see ANYONE kick a serve as she can.....same with Mel Dittman....brilliant serve....but Mel wouldn't put the time in. Alicia will make close to top 18 this year....has no points to defend remember :wavey:

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:28 PM
:wavey: Alicia spent all summer re-defining her game....to use her power....look at her age...she is still young....and with the people she has around her she will win more titles.

I am still yet to see ANYONE kick a serve as she can.....same with Mel Dittman....brilliant serve....but Mel wouldn't put the time in. Alicia will make close to top 18 this year....has no points to defend remember :wavey:

Infact if you could get her win/loss record that is accurate....you would see Australia has a new Star

AUSBOY
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:43 PM
Her singles is 15-4 this year!

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:46 PM
Her singles is 15-4 this year!

Does that include qual's anyway would be up there :-) Go Alicia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:50 PM
while working on her power, she should still remember the serve-and-volley style of so many australian champions!

jana said herself that she considered alicia to have the most promise as a serve and volleyer amongst the younger players

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:53 PM
Not bad for the number 71 on rankings!!! :worship: :worship:

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:56 PM
while working on her power, she should still remember the serve-and-volley style of so many australian champions!

jana said herself that she considered alicia to have the most promise as a serve and volleyer amongst the younger players

Wow didn't know that (The media here suck) was gonna say she is Jana with a Bigger serve and more power LOL....rerlevance today???? hell I don't know

louloubelle
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:15 PM
Alicia's serve is world class and the kicker is something that she can build a game around. Where Alicia ends in the ranks is determined by the progression of her groundies.
If Alicia can start nailing the midcourt balls (ala any top 10 player) for winners, coming over the ball off either side, then she can push top 15. I don't see her with the agility or the touch of a Novotna to push this far with a serve/volley/net attacking game.
With the fearsome groundies around these days, only an exceptional athlete with great net sense, touch and anticipation could use this game. Not sure if Alicia has this ability to get to top 15 playing like this. I see her backing up the serve with some improvement on midcourt balls and maintaining her level of movement and fitness.

Impressed the she's now winning the 3 setters.

Yes, I hope Nicole Pratt is a role model for Alicia. She could do worse.

Kirt12255
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:37 PM
Alicia's serve is world class and the kicker is something that she can build a game around. Where Alicia ends in the ranks is determined by the progression of her groundies.
If Alicia can start nailing the midcourt balls (ala any top 10 player) for winners, coming over the ball off either side, then she can push top 15. I don't see her with the agility or the touch of a Novotna to push this far with a serve/volley/net attacking game.
With the fearsome groundies around these days, only an exceptional athlete with great net sense, touch and anticipation could use this game. Not sure if Alicia has this ability to get to top 15 playing like this. I see her backing up the serve with some improvement on midcourt balls and maintaining her level of movement and fitness.

Impressed the she's now winning the 3 setters.

Yes, I hope Nicole Pratt is a role model for Alicia. She could do worse.

Well that's it!!!! She is.....Hopman Cup she served Daniela off the court...and this time not with aces...kickers to the backhand and hitting winners off the return....as with Bedanova...Farina-Elija was disgraceful....could have subbed her for top Italian Junior.

PS...with a change of Fed Cup Captain....sure Stubbie is helping :worship: too :worship:

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM
remember that a serve-and-volleyer takes time to develop
if alicia continue to pursues that, she might turn out to be a very good serve-and-volleyer indeed

Cariaoke
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM
top 50 by fall, for sure.
go Alicia! :bounce: :bounce:

King Aaron
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:10 PM
Alicia will be top 50 for sure. We just need to see if she suffers any dip in form through out the rest of the season.

Good luck Alicia. :)

Havok
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:12 PM
i say between 40 and 20.

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM
Alicia still has lapses in her matches. Evidence is in her qualifying and first round match in Sarasota. But what I am impressed is that she at least is getting it together and still coming up with wins.

I was actually shocked she lost so easily to Dokic in Miami. The way Jelena has been struggling, I thought Alicia would have taken advantage of that.

If Alicia still has a major flaw in her game, I think it's she gets nervous against top players, regardless of who she has beaten this year.

But if there is anyone that can sneak into the top twenty or highter this year, it's Molik so I hope she takes advantage of it.

Picol
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:21 AM
This is thread is nice, bit late though.

The likes of Alex, Bieut(whatever), Ausboy, Kell and myself have supported Alicia no matter what. Shame to see so many jumping on the band wagon now. Disappointed Venus and Hingis fans I guess.

Go Alicia, give it your all, it will be too much for many :)

vs1
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
Alicia is a lovely girl and I hope that she will continue to have a stellar year and move up in the rankings! She deserves to be ranked higher than she is. I think she has also improved her mental toughness/focus on the court and her results are showing it. Of course she is probably nervous playing the top 10 and believing she should come out on top. But with more wins and confidence, I think that she'll be able to do it! I hope so!!!!!
GOOOOOO ALICIA!!!!! :D

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
Could it be Picol that people are talking about Alicia now because they never really saw her play or do anything special on tour until now?

Give me a break dude.

But wow what a great match she had wiping out Conchita Martinez on clay today. Now that result surprised me, not because Alicia won the match, but how easily the outcome was.

Cariaoke
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:26 PM
:confused: @ Picol's post. I've never even seen the girl play. They tend to only show the top players in the US.

anyway... great win over Martinez! Keep it going girl! Get in the top 50!

Kirt12255
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:34 AM
:wavey: Anyhow thought I should bump this post after what she has achieved....win or loss.

Be honest.....I think after this week still 19-25 at end of year :wavey:

Gowza
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:39 AM
it would be awesome if she could win this title. it is meant to be her worst surface so it would give her a lot of confidence but what i'm thinking about is when was the last time an aussie female won 2 wta titles in the same year?

TS
Apr 6th, 2003, 03:43 PM
This is thread is nice, bit late though.

The likes of Alex, Bieut(whatever), Ausboy, Kell and myself have supported Alicia no matter what. Shame to see so many jumping on the band wagon now. Disappointed Venus and Hingis fans I guess.

Go Alicia, give it your all, it will be too much for many :)

Maybe some people just didn't know enough about her? Not everyone follows lower ranked players like we do.

I've been a fan of hers for a very long time as well but I like the fact more people are starting to like her and cheer her on...it's refreshing to see this place with lots of Alicia threads.

Not having a go at you Picol...but I don't like it when people claim 'ownership' (OK thats the wrong word but you get what I mean) over a player and have the attitude "I liked her first". People discover new players to go for all the time, we should encourage it...and if they lose interest and fall off the bandwagon later, who gives a toss :)

Experimentee
Apr 6th, 2003, 04:04 PM
She was getting hyped up a few years ago, but seeing her i didnt think she was very good at all, getting double bagelled at the Aus Open once. She was just too inconsistent. This year at Hopman Cup was probably the best I've seen her play and it looks like shes continued it. The good results on clay are impressive, because her game isnt really suited to clay and its traditionally not a good surface for aussies. I think if she keeps going like this she'll be top 30 at the end of the year.

Vicky88
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I think her play and the players she has beaten indicate that she will definitely crack the top 30, I believe that top 20 is possible, but at this time top 10 is unlikely. However, she is improving all the time.

louloubelle
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Maybe some people just didn't know enough about her? Not everyone follows lower ranked players like we do.

I've been a fan of hers for a very long time as well but I like the fact more people are starting to like her and cheer her on...it's refreshing to see this place with lots of Alicia threads.

Not having a go at you Picol...but I don't like it when people claim 'ownership' (OK thats the wrong word but you get what I mean) over a player and have the attitude "I liked her first". People discover new players to go for all the time, we should encourage it...and if they lose interest and fall off the bandwagon later, who gives a toss :)

My opinion exactly. Great post :)