PDA

View Full Version : Dokic, Sugiyama, Panova all eliminated

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:34 AM
Dokic, Sugiyama, Panova all eliminated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Top-seeded and defending tournament champion Jelena Dokic was ousted by Paola Suarez in straight sets Tuesday in opening round of the Sarasota Clay Court Classic.

In what has become a tournament of upsets, Dokic was one of three seeded players to lose Tuesday. The others were No. 4 Ai Sugiyama and No. 8 Tatiana Panova. Third-seeded Patty Schnyder was ousted Monday from the season's first clay-court event.

Dokic, a 19-year-old Yugoslav who didn't lose a set last year in the tournament, never get her game going. Argentine Suarez, ranked 29th in the world, won 6-3, 6-3.

The ninth-ranked Dokic is the only top-10 player in the $140,000 event.

"I am very disappointed, but that's the way it goes sometimes,'' Dokic said. "I hit too many errors and gave her too many free points.''

The 22-year-old Suarez, who grew up on clay courts, said playing on her favorite surface was a significant advantage and helped negate Dokic's speed and power. The only time she didn't appear in control was in the second set, when she led 4-0 and Dokic came back with three straight points.

"All my life I play on clay and I feel a lot more comfortable on it,'' Suarez said. "I'm glad I played Jelena in the first round than after she played a couple of matches on this surface.

"On clay, the ball doesn't come at you so hard and I try to hit more softer shots. It's difficult for hard players.''

Panova, a finalist last year, was beaten 6-3, 7-5 by Iroda Tulyaganova. Conchita Martinez took Sugiyama 6-2, 7-5.

Mattographer
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:44 AM
Yeah, Conchita and Paola is a dangerous player on clay so, I don't suprised at all.