PDA

View Full Version : Q Ratings

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:13 AM
This is from the April 2003 issue of tennis magazine. I thought it was interesting, but I don't know how credible this Q Score system is.

Popular Opinion
Who do you love?
The Q Score reveals all

Serena Williams is No.1 on the court and in the hearts of Americans. So says the gold standard of popularity ratings, the Q Score. The number, derived annually from surveys of a few thousand people, is a measure of likability of top sports and entertainment celebrities. Advertisers pay serious cash for the Q's ($14,800 for the sports list alone) to help determine which stars to seek for ad campaigns.

The Q Score quantifies popularity in many categories, including the general public and fans of a particular sport. The number is the percentage of respondents familiar with the celebrity who rate him or her as "one of my favorites." Among active tennis players, Serena Williams was followed by her sister Venus in popularity in both the general-public and tennis-fans categories, according to Steven Levitt, president of Marketing Evaluations Inc., the Manhasset, N.Y., research firm that minds the Q's. The top men were Pete Sampras, Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi, and Lleyton Hewitt. - Kevin O' Keefe

Q Score - General Public - Tennis Fans
Serena Williams 18 - 45
Venus Williams 17 - 45
Pete Sampras 14 - 36
Anna Kournikova 14 - 31
Lindsay Davenport 11 - 25
Andy Roddick 10 - 22
Martina Hingis 10 - 34
Jennifer Capriati 10 - 25
Monica Seles 9 - 27
Andre Agassi 9 - 32
Lleyton Hewitt 5 - 12

Again this happens to be American Ratings. Why Kournikova as number 4? Even below the pete samprass who hasn't been in the spotlight for about 6 months? These are American Tennis Ratings. The Sisters really have climbed to the top. If I could find ratings w/ all sports combined, it be interesting to see where these players are on the list. But back to Anna, in American she has just been on the downfall. When you first come out playing tennis, and then turn into a sex apeal icon, over time in America, you eventually get the "hoe" category in your name. You are mentioned more so as wanting to be a "doubles partner-fucking wise" than a "doubles partner- tennis wise" People now, more than ever are just mentioning Anna's name when it comes to Sex. Oh I would love to tap that "hoes" ass, my Friend said this last week and knows nothing about tennis, probably has Scene pictures of anna like 3 times. The rest of these people on the other hand, in my opinion, have more so earned their right to be on this list. I think they would love to find out they are on this list, and that America loves them. But w/ anna. If she were to ask why so many people voted for her, and they said its the "sex appeal not your tennis" that just has to hurt her inside to a certain extent don't you think?

CJ07
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:16 AM
interesting how V and Rena are tied in tennis fans

1jackson2001
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:20 AM
Ya I saw it in the mag...I was :D when I read it.

Cariaoke
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:39 PM
this is kind of surprising. now if only those fans would come to the American tourneys and support them during matches... :p

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:38 PM
I saw it too and was actually gonna post it ;)

I bet if you retitle the thread to "Q Ratings" more people will look in here ;)

SerenaSlam
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:31 PM
changed it :) thanks :)

eshell
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Quite interesting but not surprising.

Serena and Venus have proven themselves quite marketable to many corporations.

Thanks for posting this information.

Glenn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:15 PM
Is it supposed to be a good thing to be a fan of people that everyone else idolizes too? :confused: :rolleyes:

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:20 PM
I'd think Agassi would be much higher than that...

1jackson2001
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:40 PM
But Agassi is very popular among the tennis fans. ;)

Quite interesting to note though: "Legends" like Sampras and Agassi are not that popular among the general public compared to the other top players listed....but they are really popular among tennis fans. Others up there are not as popular to the tennis fans but are more so to the general public because they are more marketable to the masses.

bis2806
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:31 PM
I just bought the TENNIS magz and yeah i was really surprised when i saw Lindsay up there in the 5th position :D go Lindsay! There's no doubt that serena's at the top....

auntie janie
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:50 PM
SerenaSlam, the Q score is definitely credible. It has been used for years by advertising deprtments, etc, to help them determine which celebrities are both recognized and liked by the general US public. It's cool to see it also broken down into an additional "tennis fans" category here.

It just goes to show, all the vehement anti-Serena, anti-Venus, & anti-Pete sentiment that erupts on tennis message boards is NOT the typical view of most fans and most people in general. :angel: :angel: :angel: