PDA

View Full Version : Chanda Rubin chosen as BBC player of the month for March

eshell
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:19 PM
Rubin back in the old routine

Chanda Rubin is BBC Sport Interactive's player of the month for March.

Rubin is threatening to break into the world's top five
At 27, Chanda Rubin can hardly be described as a prospect for the future.

But after overcoming a series of career-threatening injuries, the softly-spoken American looks like making up for lost time in 2003.

The month of March saw her bounce back into the top ten for the first time since 1996 after successive semi-final appearances in Indian Wells and Miami.

Her performances in Miami, where she won the 300th match of her career, were an indication that Rubin is ready to join the raft of players playing catch-up to Serena Williams.

She comfortably saw off the eighth-seeded Amelie Mauresmo in the fourth round before destroying a lacklustre Justine Henin-Hardenne in the quarter-finals for the loss of just seven games over both matches.

Rubin reaches Miami semis

But Rubin's shy demeanour means her achievements have received little attention.

Indeed, Rubin's five minutes of fame have probably already come and gone after she elected to play with Anna Kournikova in the doubles at Wimbledon last year.

The pair were called for news conferences after every match they played and while the Russian expertly batted away questions about her private life, Rubin bore the look of someone who would rather be virtually anywhere else.

Avoiding the glare of publicity has allowed the Louisiana-born player to focus her attentions on a wealth of charity work.

Over half her WTA biography page is devoted to the various charitable schemes she has initiated over the years - including her eponymous Foundation which gives funds to grass-roots tennis in the US.

Rubin facts
Born: Lafayette, Louisiana
Turned pro: 1991
WTA Ranking: Eight
Career titles: Five

A nagging injury, which required two sessions of surgery, and various other problems have certainly given her the time to dedicate to such exploits.

But Rubin, whose professional career stretches back almost 13 years, is now back on court and threatening to beat her career-best ranking of sixth in 1996.

"I definitely feel like I've been through a lot of different situations out there on court," she said in Miami.

"I've had some really great matches, tough losses, injuries, the whole thing. I felt, coming back, even from this last injury, that I hadn't played my best tennis yet.

"So that's what continues to motivate me - to reach the maximum potential that I feel like is there for me in terms of my game."

Rubin was one of only four players to beat Serena Williams on the WTA Tour last season - and with her compatriot in dominant form once again, Rubin's return to form and fitness could not have come at a more welcome time.

eshell
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:22 PM
:worship:

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:22 PM
Im pleased for a country which does not concentrate on tennis that much, the BBC has chosen Chanda for this, its really good. I am soooo pleased to see Chanda do well as well.

kournikovafan13
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:34 PM
Actually, Chanda made the quarters of Indian Wells, not the semis.

Brian Stewart
Apr 1st, 2003, 10:36 PM
Nice to see they made a mistake in Chanda's favor (SF vs QF) for once. But they made another doozy. Chanda's win over Justine was #349 of her career. I don't know when they thought she won #300, but she actually did it in 2001.

Rocketta
Apr 1st, 2003, 10:39 PM
:worship: Congrats Chanda! You derserve it! :worship:

jmp
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:11 PM
:bounce: Congratulations Chanda! You deserve the recognition for your tennis and the great charity work tennis has allowed you to perform. :D :)