18 216 Olga Kalyuzhnaya
19 221 Oxana Karyshkova
20 224 Ekaterina Sysoeva
21 254 Lioudmila Skavronskaia
22 255 Maria Kirilenko
23 274 Vera Douchevina
24 303 Gulnara Fattakhetdinova
25 324 Galina Voskoboeva
count how many of them are 18 and under.......
then you will see what kinda competition
Serena will be having soon.....

remember back when Steffi Graf was dominating
till she was in her 30's.....there was really no
hard hitting players like nowadays.....
just like she said to Lucic that she was impressive about her power,

many of the Russians are a lot stronger, and smarter,
strong like Dinara, Bovina, Maria, and Vera D
smart like Lina K, Sveta etc......

cant wait to see who the Russians will send off
to the Olympics in 2004 in Greece....:)

CJ07
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:46 AM
you mean 2004?

Blazedboy
Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:54 AM
I really don't agree with those who think Russia will become the dominant nation in tennis over the next few years. Yea lot of the young Russian girls are good, SOME might make the top ten one day, but I would say at this point it is way to early to say that they will be "Serena's competition".

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:06 AM
there are different types of domination. domination can be one or 2 people totally beiing above everyone else or it can be a certain nation dominates the tour in terms of how many players they have in the top 100 or top 50 or top 20.

i'm not sure whether they'll compete with serena (we'll have to wait and see). but i'm pretty sure that in a couple of years they will have the most players in the top 50.

but when capriati, lindsay and monica go then i think the russians will take their place.

but the russians love playing each other and don't like losing to each other so they bring each other up so i think if one player gets real good then she'll bring the other players up a level or at least improve there play in some way.

faboozadoo15
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:07 AM
just for comparison sake, can we also see the ranks of the american players?

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:39 AM
voskoboeva, fokina, sysoeva and rodionova have the talent for the top 100 imo. jidkova has just dropped out but has been in there for awhile and should get back in there soon.

sharapova, douchevina and kirilenko are very young and have all showed great potential.

and petrova should eventually get back insode the top 100.

there is also the other young russians who are lower ranked that have also being doing pretty well and/or have talent such as linetskaya, bastrikova, afinogenova and bratchikova.

they just have so many young talents that it's hard to believe that one or two won't get to the top.

don't count out kournikova, bovina, dementieva, myskina or krasnoroutskaya. all but bovina and dementieva have had long term injuries and they are still young and doing well which makes me wonder how good they would have been if there development hadn't been interrupted.

and zvonareva, kuznetsova and safina are progressing up the ranks.

one of them has to reach the top 10 (besides myskina, kournikova and dementieva who have already).

imo i think most of them will sometime in there career be in the top 10 whether it is for a week or for a year and whether it is at #1 or #10.

CJ07
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:41 AM
I just think Russia will have the most people in the top 100 by 2006 or so

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:44 AM
Bovina = #1 Russian in 3 months. :)

LucasArg
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:47 AM
All I have to say is:

Congrats russian girls :worship:

moby
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:56 AM
i think zvonereva is a hell of a player
i know she nearly trashed schiavone last year at RG then choked big time before barely squeezing out the win

and she took kim to 3 sets at a GS event too. (a match that she had a decent chance of winning but yeah, the same thing happened)

so can anyone who knows about her tell me more?

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:20 AM
For me, Only Elena Bovina is impressing me with her performance.
This girl just needs more confidence and maturity and she is a sure top 10 in the next 5 months. She could improve her groundstrokes and she can be the next Lindsay.

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:04 AM
imo bovina will be a top 10er.

zvonareva also took serena to 3 sets in a grand slam so i think she will get there some day.

kuznetsova took clijsters to 3 sets once (not sure if it was in a grand slam or not).

myskina i think can improve in the ranks, i believe she can get to #8 maybe even #7.

dementieva just needs to be more consistent and then she can get back in the top 10.

kournikova needs to get back into things before we comment on how far she can go but last year in sandiego she showed she still has it so i think she can get back there as long as the injuries hold up.

safina still has undeveloped talent so if she gets that going i think she can be a consistent top 10er.

krasnoroutskaya needs to be more consistent but can play at top 10 level.

sharapova needs to get mentally tough.

kirilenko i'm not sure about.

douchevina i think has top 10 talent but it is a bit early to tell.

petrova use to have what it takes but i'm not sure any more.

the others like fokina, voskoboeva, afinogenova, bastrikova, bratchikova and linetskaya all have talent but i don't think it is top 10 talent.

luv-ya
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:07 PM
imo bovina will be a top 10er.

zvonareva also took serena to 3 sets in a grand slam so i think she will get there some day.

kuznetsova took clijsters to 3 sets once (not sure if it was in a grand slam or not).

myskina i think can improve in the ranks, i believe she can get to #8 maybe even #7.

dementieva just needs to be more consistent and then she can get back in the top 10.

kournikova needs to get back into things before we comment on how far she can go but last year in sandiego she showed she still has it so i think she can get back there as long as the injuries hold up.

safina still has undeveloped talent so if she gets that going i think she can be a consistent top 10er.

krasnoroutskaya needs to be more consistent but can play at top 10 level.

sharapova needs to get mentally tough.

kirilenko i'm not sure about.

douchevina i think has top 10 talent but it is a bit early to tell.

petrova use to have what it takes but i'm not sure any more.

the others like fokina, voskoboeva, afinogenova, bastrikova, bratchikova and linetskaya all have talent but i don't think it is top 10 talent.
thx for your analysis.............
but i think many have already realized this already..... :rolleyes:
doing well at a young age does not mean they are gonna do big things....
but Russian is no doubt gonna be a real big force on tour
in a few years to come........
i dont think they will be like "dominating" the tour
coz Kim and Justine are only 4 years older than them,
and look and JenC who is 26 already, and she is
ranked in TOP 10 with Kim who is only 19, 7 years apart....
but they will sure take over Anna/Elena/Nastya era.....

Leena
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:29 PM
For me, Only Elena Bovina is impressing me with her performance.
This girl just needs more confidence and maturity and she is a sure top 10 in the next 5 months. She could improve her groundstrokes and she can be the next Lindsay.
Maturity in her game... yes. Confidence... no. Lena seriously believes she can beat anyone... she even said that in 2001 when she was ranked in the #150's.

Consistency will be the key if she can get in Lindsay's league, and higher... because IMO, when Lena puts together that rare 2 sets of clean hitting, and good movement... Lindsay wouldn't have a chance.