PDA

View Full Version : YOUR playing standard

selesfan87
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:52 PM
So, what standard do you play at? How long you been playing for, and hwne you were younger, what standard did you think or want to play at?

Jem
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:21 PM
On the USTA rating scale, I'm a 4.0-4.5 player. I'm 41 and started hitting a ball against the wall when I was around 9. My best years were probably ages 24-26 when I hooked up with a player who had been ranked No. 8 in singles and No. 1 in doubles in one of the USTA sections and played him 3-4 times weekly. After three years and many 6-0, 6-1 drubbings, I finally began to beat him (I improved enormously playing him, and brought his game down a few levels!) I also played well in my late 20s-early 30s when I was in superb shape. I'd be a 4.5 player today, but I've gained about 15-20 pounds extra, which hurts my movement (always my best asset on the court!) Great questions -- I love to talk with people who actually play the game.

Dava
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:42 PM
Im just a casual player, who plays with friends, I had some lessons when younger but did not take it up. I wish I had as I hit the ball quite hard, but just dont know where to put it. I think I might get some more lessons, but I am too emabressed becuase Im 18 now, and Im too old to get started like that.

selesrules
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:44 PM
So, what standard do you play at? How long you been playing for, and hwne you were younger, what standard did you think or want to play at?

I can beat everyone who's not a professional. That's my standard. :kiss:

jenny161185
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:53 PM
i always wanted to play when i was much younger but only startee about 12/13 so only playing a couple of years but I think Im quite good for someone who hasn t had much coaching i teach myself! i play for leisure but am starting to compete more and more. I have good power on the run thats my main weapon :cool:

selesrules
Apr 1st, 2003, 09:00 PM
On the USTA rating scale, I'm a 4.0-4.5 player. I'm 41 and started hitting a ball against the wall when I was around 9. My best years were probably ages 24-26 when I hooked up with a player who had been ranked No. 8 in singles and No. 1 in doubles in one of the USTA sections and played him 3-4 times weekly. After three years and many 6-0, 6-1 drubbings, I finally began to beat him (I improved enormously playing him, and brought his game down a few levels!) I also played well in my late 20s-early 30s when I was in superb shape. I'd be a 4.5 player today, but I've gained about 15-20 pounds extra, which hurts my movement (always my best asset on the court!) Great questions -- I love to talk with people who actually play the game.

I would beat you 6-2, 6-0 at your peak. :kiss: